• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategy Discussion Thread: Pit's Down Aerial

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Strategy Discussion

If there is one thing American pits doesn't have that Japanese pits have is common strategy. We will re-discuss Pits move sets and your most useful ways of using them. Possibilities can be put to a test and then possibly put to use. Not everyone playing the same is good for pits career but using using top un-punishable strategies are.

This day/ week, we will discuss Pits:

Pit's Down Aerial

My strategy soon...

Palutena's Arrow
Summary soon...

General: As pits we are biased on how to play someone him. A large number of people argue about his camping. As a beginner brawl player and to pit, we naturally feel that his arrows are good. That's because it IS really good. It is the top move we should generally apply. We rack up damage safely is a great plus and it is chargeable. It can be used aggressively and defensively. Failing to use your arrows properly means you are in danger of an attack or approaching which is considered bad.

Strategy
: Pits arrows is obviously used at a range. Especially only as far as he can curve them. Standing from afar and shooting arrows is okay as they are faster but is quite predictable. Arrows become useless when power shielded as your opponents approach your lag. To counter that, pit can easily jump and space his arrows also changing the timing making power shielding and approaching harder. I believe this strategy is a staple strategy for pit. Any opponents attempting to approach is easily predicted and less common moves like Ftilt can hit more often.

This is the best example I can find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU0hud_qWeA&NR=1
Never mind the tricks and B sticking, the simple concept is what I'm getting at.

Zoning with this strategy because your opponent is at a disadvantage from jumping and approaching. Even character like wario are predictable aerial dodges can be punished with a empty jump, him assuming your arrow lag. Your control of possible attack is too great.

Conclusion: I see that a lot of pits refuse to think of them selves as campy and rush right in. But without that, most of wouldn't know how to fight up close as well. Just don't forget about our staple strategy.

Discuss!!!!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Arrows are amazing! We definitely need to use them a lot more, and camp like a beast such as Danny & Masashi. Everyone needs to learn how to pivot arrows-which is canceling your dash w/ an arrow in any direction you choose. All you do is: 1(run) 2(press b) 3(tilt the control stick in the direction you choose).

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Arrows are very important to Pit, regardless of whatever people like Overswarm say. We should start an Arrow AT thread eventually and catagorize all of this stuff.

I play alot of wifi, and I must say that arrows COMPLETELY OWN on wifi. They're hard to powershield and thus become a huge annoyance for alot of characters. Add to this the fact that arrows can be bent to intercept aerial approaches and zone characters and you'll eventually have tons of people calling you a wifi Pit.

Characters like Peach have a terrible time dealing with curved arrows. It screws up their float terribly. Plus characters like Marth who have precise recoveries can be pegged to death without too much trouble if you really get accurate.

Arrows are the type of move that seem amazing at low level play, bad at mid level play and then great again at high level play. People really need to forget looping so much and just improve their general usage and accuracy. Let looping come later.

Arrows are versatile.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
We made like tenthousand threads about diffrent Arrow loops, all with stupid names. Every trick does the same thing, but has a diffrent name anyway, I wonder why one trick got 17 diffrent names, but whatever.

Arrow is a great projectile on wifi. Hard to PS due to be able to hold an arrow to do more damage etc. Curve it, hold it, spam it, do whatever you can whenever you're at a distance from your opponent. But don't overrate it like most Pits do, it isn't that big of a deal offline even if you can hold arrows etc.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Add to this the fact that arrows can be bent to intercept aerial approaches and zone characters and you'll eventually have tons of people calling you a wifi Pit.
Lol, people have started calling me a Wi-Fi Pit XD.

But I agree with everything in your post, we should have a Pit Arrow AT thread, or just a generall Arrow thread. I believe that they are the soul of Pit's game, and they should never be cut out of your strategy.

The great thing about Pit's Arrows is that they are versatile, and fit almost any situation. They can be used for both Offensive and Defensive purposes, and almost everything in between.

And like the others have said, they can also manipulate your opponents movement, such as curving them upward to promote ground play (I think either Gadial VaStar or Katana Koden said something about this). And they can be used for mindgames as well; whenever I've curved an Arrow upwards and off screen, my opponents thought I was looping the Arrow, and would use a predictable defensive manuever, and I was able to punish.

An Offensive capablity of Pit's Arrows are how fast you can fire them. It isn't the fastest rate of Fire in the game, but it gets the job done. They can be used to keep your opponent in check, and even be used to extend combos. Firing them after you launch them with an attack is also helpful. A good offensive strategy would be to fire Arrows after you launch an enemy, fire Arrows as you approach, or even fire an Arrow during a combo. Trust me, firing an Arrow during an attack is a great way to extend combos, as long as you can predict the enemies movements, I suggest adding Arrows in attacks as well. They can be great combo extenders.

A good Defensive strategy is to camp, an obvious option. But, since the enemy will most likely approach, make sure you use moves such as Pit's infinite jab, or any attack that has range and/or multi-hit capabilities. Then, back away and fire Arrows. A good way to sum this up, is to stay out of range, and fire Arrows. And if the enemy gets to close, push them away with an attack.

There are a bunch of other strategies too, so keep expirementing.

But one thing that I think is also essential in gameplay: Never keep to one strategy for too long. Try to switch up your gameplay, and keep adapting to your enemies play style. Since Arrows are so versatile, it'll be easy to switch from one strategy to the next. Keep your enemy guessing by switching up your strategy plans, and adapt to your enemies attacks and habits.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Holding an arrow charging is like Peach holding a Turnip in a sense. People start playing like they don't want to get hit. When offline, charging arrows is much more important since powershielding is easier. I seem to remember somewhere that aiming horizontally and then switching your aiming to vertical actually resets the amount of time you can hold the arrow for.

Once you hold an arrow, exactly how long does it take to reach maximum power? Does anybody know if the increase in power is linear? If it wasn't, that would be really interesting.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
If you switch directions with the arrow, it takes about 6 frames. Those 6 frames extend the charge, but it doesn't extend the power. This leaves you to only charge your arrows in neutral state or upwards.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Arrows obviously play a huge role for Pit. It can be used for defensive purposes, gimping, harassing/pressuring the opponent, supporting his partner in doubles, and allows Pit to camp, and more. The versatility of the projectile also is what makes it important, being able to be controlled, unlike most projectiles.
Knowing only the important things for arrows (NO FANCY WORKS) is all you need, and knowing when to use them accordingly depending on the character you're up against, and what situation you're in. So honestly, we don't need more fancy trick talk (Pivot arrows do have a bit of importance at times, however), just get with the important things for arrows, so we can actually develop and improve. But overall, arrows are truly important, and I won't say nothing more than that, unless necessary.

Oh yea, we should try putting up frame data for random benefits, though there should be a thread somewhere that has it.

Suyon

Smash Lord
In my view. I really think Arrows are really really useless due to the fact you can shield and PS them. They aren't instant and annoying like Falco and Toon Link's projectile. The really good use of arrows in my purpose is for defense which is good shown in that vid even though I thought people knew how to do that already. But really I use arrows just to see their carelessness and pressure them with it. Arrows are not to rack up damage.
They're not like as I said Falco and Toon Link's projectiles because they can throw a projectile at the opponent and rush in. Pit isn't like that or simple as those two.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
To me, Pit's arrows are mostly mindgames. Baiting and predicting shields is nice for pressure and can lead to grabs or Angel Ring for further decay

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
To me, Pit's arrows are mostly mindgames. Baiting and predicting shields is nice for pressure and can lead to grabs or Angel Ring for further decay
Exactly what I'm saying. Their direction of approach becomes so linear it becomes easy to predict. Mindgames in an underrated term. Its not tricks to just fool your opponents for a free hit. Mindgames lead to attack strings so as starting with pits grabs to other moves.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Pit's dair is a fantastic spacing tool against characters that don't have quick aerials. You can also "dair camp" like a MK, but it is less effective. It's a good move to use OOS because it comes out on frame 10, so it's Pit's best aerial OOS to punish ground approaches. I like to run behind, then use a dair OOS if they spotdodge.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Since I'm bad a Oos I used dair to punish rolls. Its not exactly to space my self but I always had trouble punishing rolls in time. With the retreating dair in case of a roll, I can continue my strategy with arrows or spaced attacks.

Since dair to nair is usually guaranteed at low percents, I also use it to combo from there.

The most I usually connect with it is on quick approaches like DACUS snake, or lucarios. Another would be opponents near the edge since they like to roll to get to the other side.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I like Pit's D-Air. Its pretty nice for spacing and sometimes I just run up to people and SH D-Air. I like approaching with it sometimes because I can get in and out of their range quickly. There isn't that much commitment since you can just jump and retreat afterwards.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I SH dair but i feel like i shouldn't. Its not the quickest move and punishable. Then jumping and retreating i struggle with too. I feel safe at short hop height above someone as pit but at full hop and beyond when they are just waiting for you to come down is uncomfortable for me. I dont think this works as an approach. Just my opinion but maybe it should be used more for dair camping.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Dair is great for juggling. If you predict an airdodge, then you can just Dair them after they finish their dodge. It's risky, but can be extremely effective since it sends them up once more unlike N/F/B/U aerials. Can also be handy on stages like Rainbow Cruise for quick kills off the top.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
sometimes when im hanging on the edge i like to fall off and then do one or two full hop d-airs onto the stage. another thing i like to do in later percentages is fh d-air someone and then follow up with f-air or b-air.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I kill with Dair when the situation calls for it. The good KB makes it hard to follow up at higher %.

Top Bottom