• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Stratocaster's Hitbox System - New Download Link!

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Did you do the kirby hats as well?

I'm starting my second semester today but it doesn't seem like I'll be too busy at least for this week. I'll try to get the yoshi thread up and done by the end of the week.

Massive

Smash Champion
So 20 characters are ready for download here.

Later I'll go through and sort them out so you can just click on a link here, for now, that'll do.

Not finished (in order of expected finishing time):
Sheik
Ylink
Zelda
Marth
Roy
Kirby

The first 3-4 you can expect in the next few weeks. Roy and Kirby I just hope to get done in the next few months.
Dude, Sheik has been done for months, I posted the thread back in march.
Nobody ever updated the OP.

See?

Young link was also posted exactly 3 posts later.
Did you miss page 16 or something? lol

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Dude, Sheik has been done for months, I posted the thread back in march.
Nobody ever updated the OP.

See?

Young link was also posted exactly 3 posts later.
Did you miss page 16 or something? lol
This is what I promised about 2 years ago:

The new system is going to all be here on smashboards with a head page linking to all the character pages, organized with all the frame data w/ each gif image of the hitboxes. All the images will be available for download and sized proportionally as best as possible in order for the images to be comparable just like in the game. They'll be free for everyone to use as they see fit.
Does that answer your question?

I know a Sheik thread is up. I have those stills on my computer. I'm on the final stage with them: renaming and double-checking with frame data. I only haven't done it because I've been going through in alphabetical order. The YLink thread isn't even my frames, they aren't proportional or anything.

I know what's going on with my own project, but thank you.

@standardtoaster

Yes, I'm missing one or two, but the Kirby hats are pretty much done

I don't care if you want to use that Zelda hitbox, it should ideally be overlapped so you can see where the hitbox is in relation to the fire. I'm probably not going to make the threads myself though unless nobody else does over the next few months.

DRGN

Technowizard
Thank you guys for the updates!

I could do the Zelda uair hitbox overlay (or others) if you neither of you want to. I think any zoom-level difference can be compensated for by a size transformation.

Samus' fair was certainly a lot easier to see than I thought it would be (I thought the hitboxes were smaller), but Firefox's in-transit hitbox is really hard to see with the graphics. I think an overlay could help a lot here too.

Hopefully any slight proportional differences will be very negligible. One of the things I wanted to do with some of these is overlay them against multiple different character's moves to accurately observe priority. If they're a little off (giving only rough conclusions) it would be hard to tell by such viewing, since you couldn't be sure whether or not you're just attributing it to their natural size differences. But I understand that it would be very difficult to have the zoom distance exactly the same; you'd have to do something like configure the camera to spawn the identical ideal distance from the characters every time.

Massive

Smash Champion
I know a Sheik thread is up. I have those stills on my computer. I'm on the final stage with them: renaming and double-checking with frame data. I only haven't done it because I've been going through in alphabetical order. The YLink thread isn't even my frames, they aren't proportional or anything.
My bad then, carry on.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Young Link, Zelda, and Sheik are ready for download.

The new folder for download is here.

This leaves Marth, Roy, Kirby, and the Kirby hats!
I messaged Teczero to ask for the OP back so I can update it.

Thanks and enjoy

DRGN

Technowizard
I notice there is no frame 0 (the default standing/falling position). Is this what the last frame is in each of these folders, or is that still part of the move? (It's hard to tell but it looks like it's part of the move. :*( Maybe I'm just afraid to admit it.)

I realize almost every character is done now, but could you include frame 0 for any more moves done?

Since it's the same for every move (well, one for on the ground, one for in the air), only two new frames would be needed per character. Can anybody grab these for me? Or even just some of them? I would be very grateful. It would just take a second, right? :bee:

DRGN

Technowizard
Much later on it would be cool to get the entire wait1 frames for each, but that would be a lot more work and it's not necessary for me right now.

I think what would work great for me atm is the first frame of idle (wait1) and a basic falling frame (not part of any move) for each character. I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could get these. :)

DRGN

Technowizard
No, I want the images (still frames, not .gif). [In accordance with this project's specifics] like with the moves. Like I said though, I mostly just need the first frame for now (plus the one of standard falling).

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
@DRGN

So, can you explain why you want a wait frame? I'm just not sure why you want that. Originally, I planned to have every move include 1 wait frame, and the purpose was for size, like a "standard" if that makes sense. It was included in the directions for anyone who did the project to do it this way, but some people didn't. It wasn't worth redoing, so I decided that the wait frame wasn't really necessary if you did everything correctly the first time. So I deleted them from the frames. Also they just caused a lot of confusion and weren't part of the move... In fact, I spent a decent amount of time deleting said "wait" frames. So its kinda upsetting that someone WANTS those. I still have most of the raws though, and so I could get you some of those without much trouble.

Before I spend my time doing it though, I'd love a good reason why I should do that. What benefit is it to you to have wait frames???

DRGN

Technowizard
Heh, sorry about that. I could see that coincidence being pretty annoying.

Well, I want to animate and show full sequences of moves, however I want to display these "default" or wait frames for an extended period of time at some points (in contrast to the brief instant you would have seen them if an animation were just playing or looping; which in that case, would hardly be noticeable that they weren't there). Basically it's something to see when when a particular move isn't "playing".

You can PM me if you'd like more details.

DRGN

Technowizard
I don't think the frame images are done yet for them. But you can find their frame data on SuperDoodleMan's site, here.

Edit: Oh, I guess the images may be done, since there are threads up for them. Dunno then.

DRGN

Technowizard
Btw, are all of these at 29.97 fps, NTSC framerate? I just sort of assumed it at first, but then remembered these were done via emulator and so could probably easily be something else (and I wasn't sure if maybe the consistency was missed for any). Plus I never found the outline for the project in the first place. (So far I see that the frame counts match SDM's data, but there again I'm just assuming his is NTSC as well since he's from the US.)

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Your fields/ frames discussion is silly. How interlacing works is all irrelevant. Basically, the game outputs 60 different frames in a second. So if you look at a move that has 60 frames in it, it will require 1 second of game time for that move to be complete. Everything is NTSC. All the ones I gathered that are downloadable I made sure people used NTSC.

I don't really want to talk about Marth and Roy, they're not up because they're not ready. They'll be ready when they're ready.

DRGN

Technowizard
This seems to be a semantics issue. Or are you only referring to the emulator? Because with what we [usually] play and the actual system, what is outputted is the standard US/North American format of ~29.97 frames per second. Or ~59.94 fields per second (each a half a frame), perceptually doubling the framerate. Obviously that's pretty close to 60; not a big deal to round it. And I'm well aware that it's common practice in the Smash community to call the fields frames. Again, I don't normally mind. I was just trying to be literal because I want to know the exact time interval per these images. And it seemed like he was using the same term for two different things (albeit my asking is a little moot here.)

Though since the whole point of deinterlacing is to take a field and make it look like a frame (by filling in the missing lines based on other nearby pixels (whether by space and/or time), it may not be apparent if half of the fields (and therefore iterations of a move) are dropped and the others are simply expanded to become their own frames (which is probably pretty common if not most common for recordings). So you may not see all of the position changes if an other method were used to capture this stuff.

As for an emulator, they should be capable of outputting at any framerate, which I assume would be adjustable. That's why I asked.

All of mine are at 1/3 game speed. Game speed is 60 FPS. So my gifs should play at 20 FPS.
You mean your .gifs are at 1/3 game speed? I was referring to this project's still images.

Sorry if I come off as too literal/technical, testy/annoying or whatever else. It's late and I had a long day. Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, I definitely appreciate the work you guys have done on this project.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I want to know the exact time interval per these images.

As for an emulator, they should be capable of outputting at any framerate, which I assume would be adjustable. That's why I asked.

So if you look at a move that has 60 frames in it, it will require 1 second of game time for that move to be complete.
Forget frames and fields. I'm using these definitions:

Frame: The game can run in 480p, but usual is run in 480i, if it where to run in 480p it would be literally 60 fps, in 480 it gives the illusion that it runs in 60 fps. So lets just assume progressive scan and say there are 60 "frames" in a second, and every one of my images is defined as a frame. This is the standard in the smash community and what every one means when they say frames. If that still isn't clear thing about it this way: If a move lasts 1 second, you could pause during that move and get a unique position 60 times. Each one of these we're calling "frames" regardless of whether in 480i they are interlaced.

So once again, 60 images in the folder = 1 second game time
ignoring the 59.94 thing of course

As for the emulator, the speed the emulator was run at is completely irrelevant because its not like I took a image of them at game speed. Debug mode was used, and when you press start in debug mode and press z, it advances to the next frame, which is the smallest increment the game can progress in. The images were taken by this method where though the emulator may say its running at 45 fps, it doesn't matter because the game is frozen on one frame.

I'm not sure if you get the point I'm trying to make, but the bottom line really is that the time it takes for 60 of those images "frames" to pass in game time is about 1 second.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, I understand.

I guess what I should have just asked originally was whether the emulator "compensated" for the 59.94-60 difference. :p The main reason I was questioning things is because I was wondering about frames actually being rendered (sampled) at different rates, resulting in distinct sequences that don't necessarily have any frames that match any of these. Since before they're images it's all polygon/vector based, there's some process that eliminates everything hidden or out of bounds and turns it into snapshots. The timing of those snapshots is what I meant by the emulator's framerate (and I realize that was pretty unclear), because, like you said, for these purposes obviously it's "playing" at more like .01 frames per second in any case as they're each looked at/saved. If that timing is different, I assume you would have a different sequence of images. (That's what I meant by "compensated" in the first sentence of this paragraph.)

Not sure if I'm making sense. lol

DRGN

Technowizard
I noticed that Ganon's angled forward smashes and grab are missing from the download zip, and the grab is also missing from the thread. Samus' angled smashes are also missing.

Not criticizing; just trying to help if this wasn't already known.

Edit: probably known, since I'm seeing there are only a few characters that have their angled smashes in their downloads.

And btw, if any more frames are created, could you please do them in a lossless format? e.g. bmp/png (preferably bmp).

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I noticed that Ganon's angled forward smashes and grab are missing from the download zip, and the grab is also missing from the thread. Samus' angled smashes are also missing.

Not criticizing; just trying to help if this wasn't already known.

Edit: probably known, since I'm seeing there are only a few characters that have their angled smashes in their downloads.

And btw, if any more frames are created, could you please do them in a lossless format? e.g. bmp/png (preferably bmp).
Noted. I know Samus and Ganon were done by someone else, so I didn't notice that. Not everyone has an angled smash, so sometimes its overlooked. No huge deal though.
Yeah, some of the early ones I did in jpeg for some reason. Maybe I just didn't think to look at my options... in any case I changed to bmp some time ago, and I already have made a point to do bmp now.

Also, standardtoaster, the Zelda thread link was added to the OP

I have plans to finish up the missing pieces and everything, but it's not going to happen until May/June.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Good stuff

Now we can see how broken that uair is :3

Also, that skull bash where Pikachu doesn't even use his skull ._.

Top Bottom