• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter 4 discussion

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I play Dan, and I'm sure that doesn't help me like the game more. Shotos are retardedly hard to play against -_-

PSN: Boonu (its my brother's account name)

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really don't mind fighting shotos with Dan since I started spamming qcb lk (did I abbreviate that right? lawl), that move has stupid ridiculous priority.

Also if anyone wants to play on 360 bring it! Tag: Joshumalio

Echo

Smash Champion
Yeah, I've been playing it quite a bit. It'd be nice to get up against something other than all the Ken, Ryu, and Sagat you see on XBL... don't know how much time I'll have to play over the weekend, but my tag is MavericKxZero if you see it come your way. I play Viper, btw.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
PSN name is "Syphien" (my room mate's account).

I play Akuma mostly. It's a pretty fun game and I've worked up about 1200 BP's online so far so I'm semi-good for a newbie I guess. It is still too linear for me to pursue competitively, compared to Brawl, but SF4 is really fun especially online.

Dart

Smash Lord
I love ryu...i wish people didn't hate shotos :/ well if you guys have 360 and don't mind playing a decent shoto add me "Ubermunki3"

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
lol El Fuerte is just to **** fun.

Yeah I admit the Shoto's are very good but this game is still amazingly balanced. I looked at a recent Japanese tier list and some of the worst matchups were like 4-6 against Sagat o.O

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tried El Fuerte once, accidentally did his EX run for some reason, ran into Zangief's lariet and got hit I think 4 times for like over half my life in damage.

Never again. Super Dynamic Cooking Time is over.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Wafles always manages to tell us about how not good our games are. :(

I guess I could have asked you.

I almost got the 10 wins in a row online the second night I had it. But that's because I play SF2.

Considering it was a rental, I'm still going to buy this.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
there seems to be a good amount of hype and comp for this game in general. fyi, chicago hosts biweeklies for this and other games.

note about dan, he's not bad in the game.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
the first sf4 match i ever played i won a tournament set

kishprime explain more about your feelings on 3rd strike cause i dont see it, but i also dont know anything about sf4 so maybe knowledge relative to that would enlighten me

KishPrime

BRoomer
I can't argue relative to SF4 because I know very little about it. And honestly, I know very little about SF3, too, so I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything, that's just my impression. My experience is far more extensive with SF2. This is one of the most famous SF3 matches ever, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

When I watch this I see the same types of tactics I see in Brawl. It's not as bad because defense in SF3 is much harder than in Brawl, but parrying is so strong that it prevents the obvious pressure approach from ever being used. So they dance around each other, in the hope that they will catch the other person off-guard, not that they will execute a perfect strategy. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDYANa9a-mU

Around :35 Red Ken jumps in with an attack. Parrying literally makes this a move that you would never want to do, unless you are playing the pure 50/50 odds that the opponent is completely unprepared for it. In this case, Red Ken gets pwned. It's ok for people to be able to play these odds occasionally, but they dominate the game.

A few seconds later in the match we see the same type of thing we see in Brawl, as both Ken's wait right next to each other waiting for someone to move first so they can parry and counter. It's quicker because the game is faster, but it is still there.

I hate anything that reduces a game to pure yomi (like rock-paper-scissors where you have a 50% chance of winning), and when you see people dancing back and forth just trying to get a dashing crouch-attack, it's too close to 50/50 odds for me to be happy with it. And the fact that those moves lead to supers is a very poor mechanic as well. Pokes should arguably never lead to a super, or that's exactly what the game becomes.

Brawl is way worse because the defensive options are both easier and stronger, which removes most of the reasons for anyone to advance. Imagine Brawl with super moves that you could pull off as a counterattack like you can after a parry in SF3...shudder. It just goes to show you how horrible Brawl mechanics are, but it's more covered up because you can't score the extreme damage (though this is exactly why all the chaingrabs/infinites are a much bigger deal than Wobbling was in Melee).

So in essence, SF3 is like a more balanced Brawl, IMO, in terms of mechanics and the offense-defense balance. I don't know how valid my opinion is, but at least it's out there.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Yeah poking into supers is pretty much all the strategy all the top tiers except Makoto have. It's one of the reasons I like SF4 a lot more currently.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Thanks for giving me the motivation to write it out...I've been saying that for awhile but no one's really called me on it.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I remember one of the interviews before SF4 came out Capcom said their goal was to make it more offensive game than SF3. It's one of the reasons they removed parries.

Top Bottom