• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

M.K

Level 55
I want my friend to get this game DESPERATELY. It looks like major fun.

Although, the only Street Fighter game I have ever played is the one on my cell phone >_>

Why aren't some of the characters on the tier list? I've seen some explanations, but I haven't really comprehended them all that well.
Also, you say this game is balanced? In comparison to Brawl, is it "about" as balanced, or WAY MORE balanced?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Way more balanced, its been a long time since I've heard someone say "Brawl" and "balanced" in the same sentence.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Why aren't some of the characters on the tier list? I've seen some explanations, but I haven't really comprehended them all that well.
Also, you say this game is balanced? In comparison to Brawl, is it "about" as balanced, or WAY MORE balanced?
1. That's probably the arcade tier list. It's the same as the console competitive-wise but it doesn't have Dan, Gen, Sakura, Rose, Fei Long, and Cammy in it.

2. This is way more balanced. There's no MK-like character.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Alright, Gen is officially BEASTLY in the right hands.
You're just figureing that out? I thought it was kinda obvious seeing how 90 percent of people have no idea how to do anything with him. Thats how it goes for all the biggest threats. You get used to a crappy one, then a skilled player unleashes untold fury on your face.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I want my friend to get this game DESPERATELY. It looks like major fun.

Although, the only Street Fighter game I have ever played is the one on my cell phone >_>

Street Fighter on the cellphone was the best one. lol.
Gief is so boring ;_;

rockman2k1

Smash Journeyman
So this game was fun for a few minutes, back to Marvel!

And yes, this game is really balanced. Far more than Brawl could ever hope to be, heck, maybe even more balanced than a lot of other games right now as well.

Mith_

Smash Champion
so this game was fun for a few minutes, back to Marvel!

And yes, this game is really balanced. Far more than brawl could ever hope to be, heck, maybe even more balanced than a lot of other games right now as well.
IS MAHVEL BAYBEE

I actually skipped out on SF4 today to play Marvel lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
They really need to make a Marvel 3...

Anyways, I'm taking a little break from SF IV right now.
Too many games coming out at once, plus I don't have a working joystick anymore.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
IS MAHVEL BAYBEE

I actually skipped out on SF4 today to play Marvel lol.
marvel is fun to play casually but competitively u can only use like 5 ppl and whoever is the most technical wins. like no mind behind it
They really need to make a Marvel 3...

Anyways, I'm taking a little break from SF IV right now.
Too many games coming out at once, plus I don't have a working joystick anymore.
marvel 3 is supposed to be in the works.

Mith_

Smash Champion
marvel is fun to play casually but competitively u can only use like 5 ppl and whoever is the most technical wins. like no mind behind it
Yea I dislike competitive marvel play. Good thing it was all casual today. We didn't even have all the characters unlocked lol. Storm/Charlie/Tron ftw :laugh:

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
So I want to get into a new competitive, fun, balanced, and challenging game - is SFIV it? My friend said that a comparison between SFIV and Brawl can be made if you compare SFIII to Melee, in the sense that SFIV is less technical and has some things that made SFIII fans unhappy. Is this true? Is SFIV worth investing the time into?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I went over to my cousins house today for about an hour, and we were fiddling with things for characters. I was trying somethings out, and it's ridiculous, but I read at srk.com that you could lp Shoryuken into Ultra, however you need to do it super, super fast, and that it actually works, another is that you need to be in the corner as well. They said it was done on Rufus, so I tried it on him, and after a long period of frustration I got it to land...maybe my eye's are just messing with me, but lp. shoryuken into Ultra does in fact work!

Someone needs to try it also here and confirm if this thing is legit, or if I'm just whacked for believing and then trying it myself and seeing that it does in fact link. What I didn't get to try though was close c.mk into lk hurricane into Super, someone said that this links, so whomever has access to this game unlike me atm, please try to confirm this. Also confirm if it can be done anywhere or just simply at the corner. If this baby works anywhere on the screen, then Ryu is waay more beastly then I had originally thought, rofl.

Anyhow, peace everyone, try these out and confirm for me will ya, I don't have my PS3 anymore, my brother's jacked and have been playing SF:IV themselves, I tried calling them, but none of them are home atm...so please do this for me if any of you guys can, thanks.

Shiri

Smash Chump
So I want to get into a new competitive, fun, balanced, and challenging game - is SFIV it? My friend said that a comparison between SFIV and Brawl can be made if you compare SFIII to Melee, in the sense that SFIV is less technical and has some things that made SFIII fans unhappy. Is this true? Is SFIV worth investing the time into?
:yoshi: I'll give my two cents, if it helps.

The four qualities you listed that you're looking for in a fighting game; I believe Street Fighter IV has all of them in spades. Regardless of if you're not a fighting game player and just having fun or if you're coming back to fighters after a long hiatus or even if you're just bouncing from game to game, Street Fighter IV can get your attention for at least a little while. As for the gameplay, it's much more focused on a control pace and is very ground based. Not a whole lot of super technical stuff, but there are things in the game to do still. If you liked Street Fighter II, you'll feel very comfortable with Street Fighter IV. It's certainly a far cry from the pace and style of Alpha and Third Strike, so how interested you are in the game will be determined by whether or not you like the general gameplay.

The only person who can really decide if the investment is worth it, however, is you. Try it out at a local arcade/LAN center/friend's house/game store and see what you think of it.

CbGreiga

Smash Apprentice
WARNING!! NO ENTRY WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION!
I went over to my cousins house today for about an hour, and we were fiddling with things for characters. I was trying somethings out, and it's ridiculous, but I read at srk.com that you could lp Shoryuken into Ultra, however you need to do it super, super fast, and that it actually works, another is that you need to be in the corner as well. They said it was done on Rufus, so I tried it on him, and after a long period of frustration I got it to land...maybe my eye's are just messing with me, but lp. shoryuken into Ultra does in fact work!

Someone needs to try it also here and confirm if this thing is legit, or if I'm just whacked for believing and then trying it myself and seeing that it does in fact link. What I didn't get to try though was close c.mk into lk hurricane into Super, someone said that this links, so whomever has access to this game unlike me atm, please try to confirm this. Also confirm if it can be done anywhere or just simply at the corner. If this baby works anywhere on the screen, then Ryu is waay more beastly then I had originally thought, rofl.

Anyhow, peace everyone, try these out and confirm for me will ya, I don't have my PS3 anymore, my brother's jacked and have been playing SF:IV themselves, I tried calling them, but none of them are home atm...so please do this for me if any of you guys can, thanks.
It's quite possible. In fact, people have been doing it with Sakura since the Alpha games.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Kokichi, tell your friend that he doesn't have an absolute clue what he is talking about...because #1 SFIV is 10x more technically demanding then SFIII ever will be, the leniency to link combos in SFIII or to do specials in that game is absurdly easy, ever noticed how everything is like qcfX2 or qcbX2 for Supers or something of those lines besides grab supers.

The comparison of SFIV to Brawl begins with "characters beating each other up" and that's where it ends as well. SFIV is absolutely nothing like garbage Brawl and will never be in that category.

SFIV is a far greater and more polished fighting game then SFIII will ever be and could only dream of. You will get a great deal of knowledge investing into SFIV because this game has alot of character individualism and strategy vs strategy, this is basically formulating what made SFII a strong and great strategical fighting game, but being brought back into SFIV.

Most of the SFIII worshippers that I know dislike SFIV most of the time is because 1. No exclusive SFIII characters and 2. No Parry...those are usually the two most talked about reasons why SFIV is supposedly "not as good", but believe me, SFIII characters will come in time, however Parry being removed is the GREATEST thing ever done for the SF series, period.

However a lot of good SFIII players have jumped ship to this game and now are currently enjoying it. I will give this much however, SFIII players who started out with that particular series will find it hardest to transition over, due to the fact that because of how ridiculously overpowered one Universal Option was in SFIII, it plays the absolute most different and unconventional SF form out of them all.

Gootecks even made a guide to SFIII players on how to transition over. Anyhow, to answer your question, YES, SF:IV is definitely worth the investment if you are going to be committed to getting good at it. Much more so then SFIII will ever...good gosh, that series to this day still pisses me off, only time I ever really enjoyed the III series was 2nd Impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78XQcHntSk

0:41
and
2:22

pretty sick timing

is that where you talking about ???

cause you gotta have pretty good timing :p
Naw, what's happening here is ShoryukenxxFADCxxUltra, which is well known and a bread and butter effective note for Ryu already.

What I was talking about requires no use of Fadcing the Shoryuken, but simply the ground lp shoryuken into Ultra. Also, someone needs to try c.mk into lk hurricane kickxxSuper (c.mk has to be super close), and see if that links completely with and without a corner. I will try it out at my cousins or my bro's house, but I won't be able to get to do so until like 8pm tonight when I'm no longer busy, since I'm typing this at work, atm rofl.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Go get SF4, you won't be disappointed.

The game has a nice roster of characters to choose from and a trail mode to teach you all of their moves. The game is competetive and doesn't require TOO much tech skill. But if you wanna be busting cross up combos to shoryuken to ultras it's gonna take a bit of practice lol.

In other words get the game its worth the 60 bucks.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Parrying was fun, but way too broken.

SFIII just focused on:
1:Turtling
2:Whiff to build meter
3:parry
4.Attack xx Super

SFIV requires a whole lot more strategy.
Plus the FAs are like a balanced version of parrying.

rockman2k1

Smash Journeyman
I know Jab version of SRK's as an actual anti-air into ultra will work and doesn't need to even trade. Now it being on the ground is a different story if that's what you're referring to.

And please, for the love of anything holy, let's not compare SFIV to III.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Is it me, or does everybody body play Ken on Live, because I'm starting to belive that 75% of the people choose Ken now. XD

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Is it me, or does everybody body play Ken on Live, because I'm starting to belive that 75% of the people choose Ken now. XD
Yep, lots of Ken on XBL.

However, I was lucky last time I went online. I faced Balrog's, Rose's, Blanka's, Sagat's, Abel's, Cammy's and a Dan.

I still haven't seen a C. Viper on rankings yet.

EDIT: Dreadz, I'll face your Vega on Friday or something. I've been kind of busy lately. I can't wait to see how much it's improved.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Yep, lots of Ken on XBL.

However, I was lucky last time I went online. I faced Balrog's, Rose's, Blanka's, Sagat's, Abel's, Cammy's and a Dan.

I still haven't seen a C. Viper on rankings yet.
ive played a handful of c.vipers

u just gotta use the search for more skilled option in custom ranked matches and u could see somewhat what char. they use and u will barely get any kens

eoneo

Smash Rookie

I posted new info on that thread you were talking about.

Basically:
The important thing is to have Ryu be at a distance so that the SRK hits as late as possible, thereby bringing him back down to the ground early enough for the ultra to hit.

And as far as I know, it's only possible in the corner.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Kokichi, tell your friend that he doesn't have an absolute clue what he is talking about...because #1 SFIV is 10x more technically demanding then SFIII ever will be, the leniency to link combos in SFIII or to do specials in that game is absurdly easy, ever noticed how everything is like qcfX2 or qcbX2 for Supers or something of those lines besides grab supers.

The comparison of SFIV to Brawl begins with "characters beating each other up" and that's where it ends as well. SFIV is absolutely nothing like garbage Brawl and will never be in that category.

SFIV is a far greater and more polished fighting game then SFIII will ever be and could only dream of. You will get a great deal of knowledge investing into SFIV because this game has alot of character individualism and strategy vs strategy, this is basically formulating what made SFII a strong and great strategical fighting game, but being brought back into SFIV.

Most of the SFIII worshippers that I know dislike SFIV most of the time is because 1. No exclusive SFIII characters and 2. No Parry...those are usually the two most talked about reasons why SFIV is supposedly "not as good", but believe me, SFIII characters will come in time, however Parry being removed is the GREATEST thing ever done for the SF series, period.

However a lot of good SFIII players have jumped ship to this game and now are currently enjoying it. I will give this much however, SFIII players who started out with that particular series will find it hardest to transition over, due to the fact that because of how ridiculously overpowered one Universal Option was in SFIII, it plays the absolute most different and unconventional SF form out of them all.

Gootecks even made a guide to SFIII players on how to transition over. Anyhow, to answer your question, YES, SF:IV is definitely worth the investment if you are going to be committed to getting good at it. Much more so then SFIII will ever...good gosh, that series to this day still pisses me off, only time I ever really enjoyed the III series was 2nd Impact.
very well said, i agree with it all. I actually dont like third strike too much. SF4 was a breath of fresh air for street fighter, it was long overdue and needed. unlike brawl which killed the franchise of smash bros for me.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Hm, Yeah I gotta agree as well that SF4 is very refreshing to 3rd strike.

In most cases you just couldn't use some characters with any chance against players that knew chun-li, ken, or yun in 3rd strike but with SF4 you can pretty much use anybody including Vega, Dan, or a character you aren't familiar with and be able to have a chance to win even against Ryu, Viper, or Sagat with how the game is built.

And I have to say this out in the open...I love using Vega more than any other character now...in fact I like using characters that most people ignore or classify as garbage so...I like Guile, Dan, and even Ken every now and then (only when my friend goes Ryu).

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Hm, Yeah I gotta agree as well that SF4 is very refreshing to 3rd strike.

In most cases you just couldn't use some characters with any chance against players that knew chun-li, ken, or yun in 3rd strike but with SF4 you can pretty much use anybody including Vega, Dan, or a character you aren't familiar with and be able to have a chance to win even against Ryu, Viper, or Sagat with how the game is built.

And I have to say this out in the open...I love using Vega more than any other character now...in fact I like using characters that most people ignore or classify as garbage so...I like Guile, Dan, and even Ken every now and then (only when my friend goes Ryu).
yea i love wreckin ppl with vega [hes my main]

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So I turned on the Request Fight thing to get the 'play 10' achievement and got matched up with a few Kens. As soon as they would pick Ken I'd chuckle to myself thinking about the Ken flowchart and then low and behold... They all seemed to abide by the Ken flowchart. :p

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Anyone up for some matches later? I'm workin on my Chun and need to play someone besides Ken scrubs

Top Bottom