• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Definitely agree on Disable, but am kinda meh with Confusion now on the flipside.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Confusion feels so weird to me now, like the range is good and I'm still able to get people in neutral with it but holy **** do I miss the lift you got in the air with it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not too broken up by Confusion's lost recovery potential. It's not like our recovery needs to be better anyway.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I miss nair, sole reason why I dropped the character, mewtwo in general just feels so much more difficult to use in this game he doesn't feel fluid.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I miss nair, sole reason why I dropped the character, mewtwo in general just feels so much more difficult to use in this game he doesn't feel fluid.
How? He was almost strictly buffed, outside of a few minor nerfs. If anything, he feels better in this game since he benefits from the engine changes so much. A nerf to Nair is a paltry price to pay considering how good he is now, really.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The n-air still has its uses, but I miss b-throw and u-throw having the kind of power they used to have which is more on par with like Ness’s b-throw now as pointed out earlier but with his other buffs I guess it’s manageable.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
My goodness, I took like 2 week break for Mewtwo to learn 2 other characters, and upon coming back, my Mewtwo is severely lacking right now. Perhaps i just need to readjust to him, but I feel really bad anyways because it feels like my 4 years of experience with him are worthless.

Maybe this is just a kneejerk reaction from a couple bad losses, but I can’t help but be annoyed that im doing better with a character I picked up 2 weeks ago then my 4 year main. I’m gonna see how I do when I get home.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
My goodness, I took like 2 week break for Mewtwo to learn 2 other characters, and upon coming back, my Mewtwo is severely lacking right now. Perhaps i just need to readjust to him, but I feel really bad anyways because it feels like my 4 years of experience with him are worthless.

Maybe this is just a kneejerk reaction from a couple bad losses, but I can’t help but be annoyed that im doing better with a character I picked up 2 weeks ago then my 4 year main. I’m gonna see how I do when I get home.
I think mewtwo itself is just lacking in this game he's way too big of a step up from smash 4 mewtwo and his flaws are kinda glaring compared to a lot of other characters rn

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think mewtwo itself is just lacking in this game he's way too big of a step up from smash 4 mewtwo and his flaws are kinda glaring compared to a lot of other characters rn
You completely missed my point. Before this last 2 weeks I dominated with Mewtwo. I don’t have any issue with him, I was just venting that I am lacking with him right now. Mewtwo undoubtedly good in this game and it is foolish to believe otherwise.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
You completely missed my point. Before this last 2 weeks I dominated with Mewtwo. I don’t have any issue with him, I was just venting that I am lacking with him right now. Mewtwo undoubtedly good in this game and it is foolish to believe otherwise.
As if I care about dominance or your downfall lol, he still lacks compared to a lot of the tops, probably top of high but he still lacks

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
He “lacks “ because you can no longer air dodge spam. Now you actually have to play neutral like everyone else.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
He “lacks “ because you can no longer air dodge spam. Now you actually have to play neutral like everyone else.
And he’s light, and bigg, and his tail is now a hurtbox again for whatever reason.
And his frame data is still kinda sluggish, and his nair is butt

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
And he’s light, and bigg, and his tail is now a hurtbox again for whatever reason.
Excuse me? Are you implying he wasn’t bug or light in the past game? As a matter of fact, he is even heavier is time. The problems here is that you can’t adapt to the removal of air dodge spam. Nothing about his frame data is “sluggish” either. He has pretty much only gotten better in the transition. I just think you aren’t good with him.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Excuse me? Are you implying he wasn’t bug or light in the past game? As a matter of fact, he is even heavier is time. The problems here is that you can’t adapt to the removal of air dodge spam. Nothing about his frame data is “sluggish” either. He has pretty much only gotten better in the transition. I just think you aren’t good with him.
Then explain the reasons why he isn’t top 10 lmao

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What you guys think about Mewtwo’s overall viability in Ultimate at this moment?

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
What you guys think about Mewtwo’s overall viability in Ultimate at this moment?
I think he's very viable. He's really fast and strong, definitely feels (to me at least) like he's a lot more precise than he was in Smash 4. It kinda feels like because I'm still sorta learning Smash Ultimate's more trickier stuff that I can't quite fully utilise Mewtwo, which is a shame, but I shall persevere!

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Why the **** does Mewtwo take so long to be able to act after air dodging?? I swear no other character takes as long as him!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don’t know, Ganondorf would like a word about that. He takes forever to up B recover after air dodging, or at least has been the case for me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It's not just a Mewtwo issue, in my experience. Airdodges in general are so laggy in this game, it's kind of embarrassing.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
I personally believe Mewto's buffs overshadow his nerfs. The main thing I miss about him is his old confusion but everything else just feels better. Especially his forward tilt and (in my opinion) his nair. I don't even mind his up throw and back throw being nerfed because his bair is stronger and he can juggle certain characters with his uptilt and up air.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Wow. I never thought this would happen, but as of now, I will be dropping Mewtwo for competitive play after 12 long years.

I just don’t know what it is, but he just isn’t clicking with me in Ultimate. I tried, and I tried, but I am just not doing good with him like I am with other characters. His disadvantage state is just today bad, his tail is a hurtbox now, and his lightness is just too glaring in such an aggressive game like Ultimate.

Farewell man. I will still use him to bust up my friends, but for my competitive career, it has to be this way unfortunately.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Happy Birthday Mewtwo! :150:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
This is my main problem, for me Ridley is better in almost everything than mewtwo. Long range tilts that set up for combos, that kill that are DISJOINTED, super fast on ground, great nair, great killpower, fast faller, great kill power, like 70% heavier, etc.

Why whould i use mewtwo if i have ridley ?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is my main problem, for me Ridley is better in almost everything than mewtwo. Long range tilts that set up for combos, that kill that are DISJOINTED, super fast on ground, great nair, great killpower, fast faller, great kill power, like 70% heavier, etc.

Why whould i use mewtwo if i have ridley ?
Better zoning, recovery, powerful throws and anti-zoning. What you're saying actually makes me think Mewtwo can be great secondary for Ridley that covers matchups that Ridley would find annoying yet still carries over a lot of skills.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I never thought this would happen, but as of now, I will be dropping Mewtwo for competitive play after 12 long years.

I just don’t know what it is, but he just isn’t clicking with me in Ultimate. I tried, and I tried, but I am just not doing good with him like I am with other characters. His disadvantage state is just today bad, his tail is a hurtbox now, and his lightness is just too glaring in such an aggressive game like Ultimate.

Farewell man. I will still use him to bust up my friends, but for my competitive career, it has to be this way unfortunately.
LOL, so MERPIS was right?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn’t seem that long ago when Mewtwo was the most requested character to be brought back bar none or just most requested character worldwide in general (during the period between Brawl and SSB4), but with how its usage has declined, you wouldn’t figure that now. I know it’s due to the not so desirable changes from SSB4 to Ultimate (at least Mewtwo wasn’t as badly nerfed as other previous DLC characters), but still, it’s unfortunate.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Sole reason I dropped him is due to his stupid tail hurtbox. WHY IS THAT A THING
I guess to keep him a bit more balanced. I never played M2 in Smash4 but I played him a lot in PM, where he had that tail hurtbox so I’m used to it. I usually get hit on that hurtbox when spacing bairs can’t lie it’s pretty annoying.

But M2 is definitely still good. I really struggle in the Pichu MU though.

And that folks is why his disadvantage state is so much worse than it was in smash 4
No that’s because of the air dodge changes. Sure his tail hurtbox makes him worse in disadvantage state, but the reason his disadvantage state is horrible is because of the air-dodging mechanics. Mewtwo’s glaring weakness is he has no way to land only made even more apparent when you can’t air-dodge like you used too.

He’s floaty as hell so he falls slow giving people more time to react. Dair comes out too slow to be a reliable option but can work in some situations. Like in his entire kit the only way he lands relatively quickly is with Up-B but Up-B does have some lag on it so faster characters will still punish you for it.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I guess to keep him a bit more balanced. I never played M2 in Smash4 but I played him a lot in PM, where he had that tail hurtbox so I’m used to it. I usually get hit on that hurtbox when spacing bairs can’t lie it’s pretty annoying.

But M2 is definitely still good. I really struggle in the Pichu MU though.
If he’s good, where are the results? Why would all of the top Smash 4 Mewtwos drop him?

I’m sorry, but it is simply denial to call a character “good” when they have a super heavy-sized hurtbox, yet are the 5th lightest character in the game, slow fall speed, no reliable anti juggle aerials, tail attacks extend hurtbox, very average framedata, and poor air acceleration.

I get it. No one wants to admit their favorite character is bad. I was in denial for a very long time. But as of now, they nerfed him WAY too hard.

Its not the end for him though. Almost all of the cons I listed can be fixed/remedied through patches. I think it’s way more productive to honestly acknowledge the characters current state rather than lie to ourselves. The sooner we do this, the sooner we can band together make it known to Nintendo that we want justice for our character.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
The fact that when a character is regarded as bad or not as good as they used to be, their players drop them, and thus they get even worse as the meta progresses. It's like a chain effect, and mewtwo is suffering so badly from it right now

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
The fact that when a character is regarded as bad or not as good as they used to be, their players drop them, and thus they get even worse as the meta progresses. It's like a chain effect, and mewtwo is suffering so badly from it right now
I completely agree. Its a vicious cycle that stagnates the character hard. I was just having a little trouble figuring out exactly what you meant by “hurts” lol.

Top Bottom