• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
I was playing tourney yesterday and i came across a ROB main, i didnt understand his down smash, can someone explain.
i had the feeling if i DI'ed to the right I would be thrown left and if i DI'ed to the left I would be thrown right, is this true or is it just random.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I was playing tourney yesterday and i came across a ROB main, i didnt understand his down smash, can someone explain.
i had the feeling if i DI'ed to the right I would be thrown left and if i DI'ed to the left I would be thrown right, is this true or is it just random.
idk, multihit moves are weird. I know that's how R.O.B.'s Uair works, so maybe it's the same for his Dsmash. Have you tried SDI (though you'll probably have a mash REALLY hard to get out)?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Calculating Dsmash's knockback direction requires a quantum processor which is why no R.O.B. can do it.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Actually, how many gyro setups do you guys know? Pretty sure it's important, but I actually don't know that many. I know there's:
  • gyro > usmash (especially at the ledge)
  • gyro > dair (offstage spike)
  • various gyro locks
  • I sometimes throw the gyro on top of the opponent into a Nair (if spaced properly, it's safe in shield, otherwise it combos)
  • throwing gyro up into the air for a random followup (not really a setup?)

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have killed by throwing the Gyro up then grabbing the opponent below the Gyro and then DThrow -> Gyro -> Uair which was pretty neat but I think the opponent might hav ehad crappy DI to be hit be the Gyro.

I have also seen someone on these boards gimp a Ganon by throwing the Gyro against a wall letting it bounce against Ganondorf and then Bairing the Ganondorf.

Lastly Gyro -> Dsmash.

I also have a question though, is there anyone who can reliably Gyrocancel on the 3DS using the difficult method? I am having a very hard time doing it consistently. I practiced a lot with it and I have gotten better but I think I am not improving much anymore and I am still not nearly as consistent as I would like to be.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Gyro cancelling (somewhere in here: http://smashboards.com/threads/upgrade-learn-r-o-b-s-advanced-techniques.392002/): basically Diddy's popgun cancel, allows R.O.B. to b-reverse with hardly any lag

Instant gyro cancelling (http://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-r-o-b-tech-instant-gyro-cancelling.421978/): Allows R.O.B. to do any tilt/smash attack (including jab) out of a run

Gyros knock back the opponent in the direction R.O.B. is facing when he throws it, so he can use it to set up into pretty much any move (shown in Beefy Smash Doods edgeguarding video)

ET jump lets R.O.B. gain height even without fuel (http://smashboards.com/threads/vide...ech-etjubb-empty-tank-jump-up-b-boost.439992/)

Probably common knowledge, but:
- Side B reflects
- Up B has limited fuel
- Laser has to charge up
- R.O.B. has trouble landing and gets combo'd easily

Top Bottom