• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In an unrelated note, do you remember this, DJ Talent? :awesome:

edit: Fear my 100% drill l-cancel consistency on shield. Do not fear my 50% drill l-cancel consistency on hit. :laugh:

edit 2.0 deluxe: I am never trying to soft dash attack > up tilt > up air KO Zelda as an edgeguard ever again. Her edge grab is so big! And I had like a minute to hog it ROFL.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Anyone knows a good option for covering this angle(where puff is), against anyone recovering low, that I want to KO?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
So you're asking, like, a puff in the location that she is in screenshot trying to edgeguard any character recovering low? Or are you asking it as if puff were on the stage (where mario is) and your opponent is recovering low (where puff is)?

If the first one, jump above/on front of them and dair or you can just fair;bair them back if you're level with them.

If you're asking the second one, I tend to go for bairs/fairs into the stage to stage spike them. On a stage like yoshi's they might walltech, but it isn't all too likely.

Sorry if I completely misunderstood you, if so try to explain a little better.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Should maybe have added an arrow to be more clear what I meant. I mean anyone basicly going really low for recovery, fox/falco thatpossible walljumps> up right upp for a sweeptspot. Will try too find some matchexamples after I´ve done some work at school (lol at sunday XD).

But I do want them to get hit or either get spiked (I think I´ve heard sometime that jiggs dair has a spike hit, the hit that also forces turnaround onstage?) or flying from the stages direction.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Well it'd be weird to get them flying from the stage from down there. If they're recovering really low, falling fairs are probably your best option. If you can predict they're path (walljump if possible) than it'd be an easy gimp, or just get to them before they try to get up. (like marth, before he up+b's)

Puffinator

Smash Ace
Just hang onto the ledge and drop down bair...I find this situation especially annoyin when playing marth

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
fair sticks out longer, so it's usually better than bair unless you'll know it'll hit.

idea

Smash Master
Anyone knows a good option for covering this angle(where puff is), against anyone recovering low, that I want to KO?
Should maybe have added an arrow to be more clear what I meant. I mean anyone basicly going really low for recovery, fox/falco thatpossible walljumps> up right upp for a sweeptspot. Will try too find some matchexamples after I´ve done some work at school (lol at sunday XD).

But I do want them to get hit or either get spiked (I think I´ve heard sometime that jiggs dair has a spike hit, the hit that also forces turnaround onstage?) or flying from the stages direction.
grab the edge, drop off, jump, invincible reverse fair. it's pridy gud. combos into bair a lot.

and/or, go behind them and pound in the direction of the stage. works especially well on spacies. makes it harder/impossible to tech too (impossible if they aren't touching a wall at the time, like on battlefield).

and on marth/sheik grab the edge, force them to up-b onstage and rest them.

honestly the first one i find to be the most reliable but that's probably 'cause i do it so much and i'm used to it by now. if you do it right they usually can't/won't tech it either.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
yeah if they jump toward the stage, walljump to an illusion or airdodge onto the stage....

I would think it would make sense to grab the ledge and drop with down (and away from the ledge) with a fair... hoping for that reverse fair. If you don't have time to grab the ledge then try to fair them without the invincibility.

I have more luck with fair than bair in these situations where they're below you offstage

idea

Smash Master
drop down fair is good too but no one ever does my thing :cool: where you fall off, jump, and hit them with the reverse strong part. the jump makes it much easier to hit with the strong part. it's good if they end up going on stage too, being pretty much the quickest way to get up there from the edge to hit them back off again.

wow the word "jump" just lost all meaning in my head

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I'll have to give this a try. Its easy for me to get the reverse fair from the ledge to hit them when they're standing right on the ledge, so its probably the fact that im jumping into it that makes it so easy for me. So you have to sorta predict when they're gonna try to walljump and jump (w/ fair) as they're getting to the wall??

Dair may cover this well too cause it'll give you more leeway for a timing error (just like fair gives more leeway than bair)

idea

Smash Master
see this is why i like the reverse fair thing--in the process you have to grab the edge. so if you realize at the last second that you can just hold the edge (like after that ^ pound, fair, he recovered low), you're already there.

also it scares the **** out of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25S-oZmm4nY&t=34s

vanz told me after our set that once i hit him with that edgeguard he thought "oh man i'm gonna get *****!" lolol

this youtube snowflake effect is pretty.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I agree, reverse fair is reallyyy good.
I also love dair for edgeguarding, allows you to "carry" your opponent with you if you hit them with the whole move (after a dj for example); can lead to a strong fair afterwards.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey puff dudes can I ask for some quick advice even though I don't really play puff?

I'm teaming with Sheridan at Apex but I've never really teamed with a good Puff in tournament before. What kind of stuff should a Fox player go out of his way to do when teaming with Puff to ensure we really abuse the team dynamic? i.e. should I be paying a lot of attention to where my teammate is and then specifically looking to grab the enemy nearest to him, etc.

tl;dr Any Fox/Puff tips are welcome. :D

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Hey puff dudes can I ask for some quick advice even though I don't really play puff?

I'm teaming with Sheridan at Apex but I've never really teamed with a good Puff in tournament before. What kind of stuff should a Fox player go out of his way to do when teaming with Puff to ensure we really abuse the team dynamic? i.e. should I be paying a lot of attention to where my teammate is and then specifically looking to grab the enemy nearest to him, etc.

tl;dr Any Fox/Puff tips are welcome. :D
-If you've just star KO'd someone on the other team/they're offstage with no chance of recovery, immediately grab their teammate. Sheridan can rest them, you jab Sheridan, and get ready for them to respawn.
-Shoot lasers a lot, he can float above them and then come down with a nair or something. Basically if Sheridan's floating above your SHL range, just spam teh laser.
-He can help your recovery by dairing you if your upb wouldn't make it to the stage
-Don't upsmash him

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Puffs are usually gonna bair and throw things at you, so as a fox be ready to bair em back or usmash or just follow up in general. Try to stay more grounded and avoid spontaneous jumping when puff is very near/behind you, and remember puff is an extremely useful assist tool so she can finish off your edgeguards and many of your kills. If you send an opponent flying it's usually good to go after the other opponent (whos usually aggro on puff) while puff can help or go over and finish the other person off.

This team is very situational, you have to see how your opponents try to deal with it and act accordingly.
- Sometimes you'll have both opponents focused on the not-puff to burn stocks quicker. In this case the puff can space bairs easily the whole round as long as her teammate plays very smart and defensively. Because they aren't even focused on the puff, she won't die very much and will have an easy time getting most of the kills. Her teammate, however, will die a lot. Try to get one of the opponents over to puff, and then focus on the other one for that brief moment while puff does her ****. Stay alive and use puff to your defensive advantage and you can pull out a pretty easy win. Don't forget how slow puff is, you definitely don't want to isolate yourself from her at any point.
- Sometimes both opponents will be focused on getting rid of the puff so she can't pull any bullcrap. In this case, fast characters like spacies or falcon can usually cause a lot of havoc. Because they're so overly focused on puff, and being as fast as you are (fox) you'll always be caught up, you can get in some easy **** and help out your teammate. The puff player needs to play extremely defensively, this will cause the other two players to have to change up their strategy if they plan on killing anything.
- Other times, and probably most frequently, you'll have them just trying to keep you guys separated. This is probably the worst case because they're not separating you guys to have two 1v1s. Usually, they're separating you guys so that they can push puff away and then run back and have a quick 2v1 you while puff slowly floats back in range to help. In general, try not to let this happen to much unless you can keep it under control in your favor.

Figure out what you're opponent is trying to do and exploit it to your advantage, and don't forget about those grab restiez. <3

Hope this helps Toph. :3 You know me, and how I don't have very much experience myself. These are almost entirely from inference, but hopefully you won't look down upon them because you 4-stocked me last time we played lol. I'm pretty confident you know enough about puff to understand how to get that synergy going. Good luck. :)

Edit: Boomrested is right with everything except spamming lasers. You can't maintain match control if you're spamming lasers, it's a pretty terrible idea actually.

idea

Smash Master
just in general be conscious of jiggs' range, she takes up so much space and might hit you by accident (even though that would be sheridan's fault lol, watch out for it anyway).

also be ready to help out when jiggs rests at a moment's notice. and yeah, grab rest *****

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I watched Hyuga team with Swiftbass at Pound 5 and Hyuga was resting opponents out of Swift's shine a lot. So it's something he's familiar with.

You guys gotta work on getting quick 2 on 1's.... While it may be tempting to keep a combo going, it is usually better to hit them away and then dash over and double team whoever's fighting puff.

In such a situation, it is almost always the best choice to grab. I even think going for a stupid grab (like just dashing over and grabbing) is worth it cause in a 2-on-1 puff is gonna punish their punish if you miss.

It also sorta takes away their option of grabbing cause sometimes a jiggs will rest that too.

LOTS OF GRABS. WAY MORE THAN IN SINGLES. AND ALWAYS GRAB IN A 2-ON-1

PB&J

Smash Hero
Me and soft are teaming once again @ Apex and we do alot of me shining and him resting out of it or me throwing them to him or off the stage while he does a quick edgeguard/gimp . I think its extremely easy to get grabs in teams since people sheild a bit more compared to singles ,so grab rest are your best friend and if you can hit them towards puff ,do a nair and they can combo out of it

The rest of the puffs going to apex: We Must Play :)

:phone:

idea

Smash Master
unknown said there weren't any good options for bus tickets and apparently no one wants to drive, so probably no :( but drivers can materialize more easily so meh.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I forgot Sion is coming to both the GC in feb and the nwm in march. So hype about that mang. :3

Edit:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=316838
Mango's thread should pretty much be locked at this point haha. All mu/strat discussion in Mahone's thread, and now we have a social thread.

But yeah, in the future post in one of those two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom