• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
I'll just have 2 play four times as good as anyone else and use REST as a name... or just stick with the good ol' BOB or ^_^;

also, what's the best way to approach marths and spacies? sakurai didn't give puff a sword, only a box but that's not jiggz exclusive. :(

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
dear mango~

How do you deal with characters that always CC your approaching aerial? example: I hit a fox with an f-air but he cc's it and ends up grabbing/usmashing me ;_;

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
dear mango~

How do you deal with characters that always CC your approaching aerial? example: I hit a fox with an f-air but he cc's it and ends up grabbing/usmashing me ;_;
rest/use another jump as you fair/pound/dair to rest that *******. :D I would probably suggest using pound since the hitbox is ludicrous and he goes up in the air (although I'm not 100% sure, my memory fails me. :/)

Tero.

Smash Champion
dear mango~

spacing is the key.

****** bob: sry but your advice isnt really helpful ...

dudutsai

Smash Lord
the character a puff would be most scared of cc'ing an attack would probably be falco, as he can cc to dtilt and ko you at 70-80%

pounding or jumping again to avoid the dtilt wouldn't really work because his cc -> dtilt would be able to hit you either way. Resting would work, but his dtilt outranges it, and obviously, you could miss or he could just shield.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
but still, wouldn't an l-cancelled dair to rest work? or maybe just the dair.

how big hitbox do the spacies dtilts have, anyway? I seldom get training against spacies. >_>

MaNg0

Smash Hero
spacing is the key to everything

and yea no one belives me

when i say just run up and shield lol

sorry been gone for a whike

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
eh dair to rest isn't very well good
what I'm suggesting is that since you have to be above them and dair doesn't make them exactly fly like a crazy balloon when they're not crouch canceling you should be able to rest the spacies, but I'm not 100% sure if it works, though. maybe I should test stuff before I talk in the future lol. >_>

o hai mango.

if my idea's so stupid then just take mangos suggestion literally and just shield against his crouch canceling then. :(

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
================
================

R E A D T H I S

================
================

So yesterday, my partner (a Falco main, Fox secondary) wanted to get back into Marth, who he'd stopped playing for a long time. I decided to take advantage of it, and get some good Marth training for my Puff (although I'm actually a Sheik main >.>). I frequently would study this thread because, well, I only know how to fight Heavies. So, the Marth matchup helped me a little bit, but I was still gettin hurt.

I had added Mang0 to AIM, because mainly I wanted to have an outlet of questions if I needed more information than in the thread. Also, I didn't understand the full extent of Uair. As Mang0 said in a few posts ago, he's been gone a while. But I saw him on AIM today, and caught him training his friend at Puff. I decided to ask him some stuff about Uair's hitbox and uses on Marth. He wasn't quite sure what I was goin on about when I mentioned using the back side of uair as an offensive. But we moved on to his Battlefield match against M2K's Marth. I only expected a few hints and tips along with the hitbox information, but Mango actually took about a solid half hour walking me through the match, frequently stopping to show me why he did some things in the fight, what not to do that he did, and overall it was a very helpful conversation.

So some headliners of the matchup:

The hitbox of the uair can be seen by her tiny little hand, and it's arc, OR (facing the other way) her cute little hairpuff. I'd learn the very start of the uair arc, because Mang0 talks to me about poking Marth's head out of his shield.

ONLY EDGEGUARD MARTH WITH FAIRS. It stays out longer, and has a chance of pokin em a little longer if they air dodge. Bair only'll hit em once.

If Marth is close to ya sittin there with his shield, try fairing through behind him, and poking his head (which should be slightly out of his sheild) with an Uair. Mmmm. Rapin time. This can also work without him shielding, but we talked more about the other way.

IF he's spaced and you won't get through his sheild, DON'T DO ANYTHING. Do not try and poke attacks in on him. It -will- suck. Like the matchup says, PATIENCE. In fact, if you ever catch him sittin with a shield up, just don't do anything.

Defensively, if they hit your shield with any move that isn't spaced, jump out and Nair. Unless you think you can land a MangoRape at low %, just nair. High %, don't try resting, not worth it at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajY0BnPq-Fw&feature=related Was the video we watched. You'll see some attempts of the headpoke. All in all, good video to see for the Puffs who lack Marth experience.

This is just something I'm throwing in, but if you lack Marth experience this is pretty important. Marth can dthrow you behind him, and get an easy tip if you were DIing in front of him. So far, DIing behind him from almost every grab has worked pretty well.

I can't really recall a lot of other things that could be translated into the thread, because a lot of it was in small increments of the video, just a "You see how he's coming above me? Get that Uair in quick." type of thing. Most of his teaching today was about seeing the opportunity to do something, and knowing when to back teh fook off.

CONCLUSION: Mang0 is a nice dude, and true to the thread, he's always willing to help out another Puff. If you still need help with a matchup, I wouldn't hesitate to see if he's available.

P.S.: Yes, run up and sheild. And always dthrow (unless it's obvious that you should fthrow)

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I remember analyzing that video and discovering some of those things. thank you for posting though, that was VERY helpful and there was still plenty to learn.

Just one thing. For the marth edgeguard, if you are grabbing the ledge sometimes they don't see you as an aerial threat and only as an edgehog threat. If they are foolish enough to continue doing side b to get closer, just wait and in that case bair would work.... just one case though

MaNg0

Smash Hero
================
================

R E A D T H I S

================
================

So yesterday, my partner (a Falco main, Fox secondary) wanted to get back into Marth, who he'd stopped playing for a long time. I decided to take advantage of it, and get some good Marth training for my Puff (although I'm actually a Sheik main >.>). I frequently would study this thread because, well, I only know how to fight Heavies. So, the Marth matchup helped me a little bit, but I was still gettin hurt.

I had added Mang0 to AIM, because mainly I wanted to have an outlet of questions if I needed more information than in the thread. Also, I didn't understand the full extent of Uair. As Mang0 said in a few posts ago, he's been gone a while. But I saw him on AIM today, and caught him training his friend at Puff. I decided to ask him some stuff about Uair's hitbox and uses on Marth. He wasn't quite sure what I was goin on about when I mentioned using the back side of uair as an offensive. But we moved on to his Battlefield match against M2K's Marth. I only expected a few hints and tips along with the hitbox information, but Mango actually took about a solid half hour walking me through the match, frequently stopping to show me why he did some things in the fight, what not to do that he did, and overall it was a very helpful conversation.

So some headliners of the matchup:

The hitbox of the uair can be seen by her tiny little hand, and it's arc, OR (facing the other way) her cute little hairpuff. I'd learn the very start of the uair arc, because Mang0 talks to me about poking Marth's head out of his shield.

ONLY EDGEGUARD MARTH WITH FAIRS. It stays out longer, and has a chance of pokin em a little longer if they air dodge. Bair only'll hit em once.

If Marth is close to ya sittin there with his shield, try fairing through behind him, and poking his head (which should be slightly out of his sheild) with an Uair. Mmmm. Rapin time. This can also work without him shielding, but we talked more about the other way.

IF he's spaced and you won't get through his sheild, DON'T DO ANYTHING. Do not try and poke attacks in on him. It -will- suck. Like the matchup says, PATIENCE. In fact, if you ever catch him sittin with a shield up, just don't do anything.

Defensively, if they hit your shield with any move that isn't spaced, jump out and Nair. Unless you think you can land a MangoRape at low %, just nair. High %, don't try resting, not worth it at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajY0BnPq-Fw&feature=related Was the video we watched. You'll see some attempts of the headpoke. All in all, good video to see for the Puffs who lack Marth experience.

This is just something I'm throwing in, but if you lack Marth experience this is pretty important. Marth can dthrow you behind him, and get an easy tip if you were DIing in front of him. So far, DIing behind him from almost every grab has worked pretty well.

I can't really recall a lot of other things that could be translated into the thread, because a lot of it was in small increments of the video, just a "You see how he's coming above me? Get that Uair in quick." type of thing. Most of his teaching today was about seeing the opportunity to do something, and knowing when to back teh fook off.

CONCLUSION: Mang0 is a nice dude, and true to the thread, he's always willing to help out another Puff. If you still need help with a matchup, I wouldn't hesitate to see if he's available.

P.S.: Yes, run up and sheild. And always dthrow (unless it's obvious that you should fthrow)

How nice am i

WALKED HIM THROUGH A WHOLE VIDEO

god i ****

thx

Smash Ace
i need help on peach my puff is getting godly status lol i just have problems with peach for some odd reason T_T (lost to one last tourny)

Tero.

Smash Champion
Imo peach can be pretty easy, just space bairs try landing a few single bairs, dont try to connect them that much (peach = combo breaker).
Spacing is the key.
Be aware of cc dsmash and nair oos.
Dont be to deffensive or else she will spam turnips.

Punish dash attacks on your shield with rest oos (MANGORAPE!).

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
How nice am i

WALKED HIM THROUGH A WHOLE VIDEO

god i ****
you're the scout leader of this forum walking old women over roads.

TrikELotus, thanks a lot for that. it could really help me one day... when I actually find a good marth player that isn't me lol. >_> I had no idea uair was so useful... guess I'm not thinking outside the box enough.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Do you have a special way for rest to lead to a star KO?
I always hate not doing that because it almost always leads to an easy avenger.

Oh, and, how old are you?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
depending on where you hit with the rest they go different directions. Just rest a bit lower to star ko. they have to be at higher pecentages though

ice-

Smash Journeyman
matchup isnt about grabs KK thx?
The climbers can get in between her wop. They travel in their sheild the whole time so that nub pounds dont work and simply get punished :).

bye nub ty.
wtf? Why would you even show up in this thread x)

I think most of use know anyway that your ICs prob give Puff a hard time....

MaNg0

Smash Hero
hmmm peaches

well if u space they cant do much

the peaches i played pc / cort

just try to nair out of shield but if u space

they cant do that =D

happosai -

1. Take of my crown ... lol =D

2. U did 0 nairs in that match =(
do more son dont spam it tho

3.WAY to many bairs and ur full hoppin everything
short hop fair works

4.To many pounds =(

5. brinstar > mute

just ask me if want me to be more specific =D

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
i gots a Q. so when you are hanging on a ledge, what is the best way of getting back on the stage without being punished too bad. ivetried alot of stuff but it kinda feels like i am too predictable. pouds and fairs/bairs get old and i tried dair cause king did it in a few matches but that gets ***** to some times. ive been watching vids but additional advice would be appreciated

dudutsai

Smash Lord
MaNg0 has amazing spacing that's why

but good job copying him

perhaps you will have such good spacing someday too :)

MaNg0

Smash Hero
no u gotta jump off the edge

and well it makes it kinda

easier to read

=D

my spacing

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
why cant you be like 22 have a job and a car and be able to travel to every tourney ??????? i blame your mom. seriously, you should stalk m2k so everytime he goes to a tourney you go and beat him in finals. i would laugh everytime. =[ grow up quicker

MaNg0

Smash Hero
=(

im only 16

but from now on im going

to most big tourneys =D

as long as someone reminds me

way ahead of time ^___^

Tero.

Smash Champion
You should come to Europe in February 09 -> Epita Smash Arena 3 !
(ESA2 had 260 attendants, biggest european tournament)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom