• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I have a serious question:

How do you guys play your Jiggs in doubles? Do you play him passively or aggressively? Are you always the one in front of your partner or behind, waiting for opportunities? When edgeguarding, do you grab the ledge or do you let your partner do that? I know these are all dependent on your partner, so tell me your personal cases.

idea

Smash Master
mostly aggressive. i don't even know how you're "supposed" to play jiggs in doubles, she's so variable that way. probably depends a lot on the matchup and personal preference. and say, if you're teaming with a fox, it's probably more important to make sure the fox isn't getting comboed.

for the edge...that's also situational. sometimes it makes more sense for them to grab it, sometimes it doesn't. your punish for the other team member landing onstage is always going to be strongest, though.

--------------------------------------

lol dudutsai. how do you even enjoy playing that way =P it was fun teaming with you.

also why did you get a bye when i didn't?!

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
Depends on my Teammate. If my teammate is the combo type person or good against a certain character, I try to keep the opponents partner away from my partner. I usually just stay back and throw bairs everywhere if my Teammate is getting comboed. I rarely play aggressive, its just not my thing.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I play defensive, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, I'm just always hoping that my partner can get some gimp shine kills in 2on1s and then have enough lives when he's gone to borrow off of me.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I'm very sorry Idea. When I was called to seed it was my first time, and I did make a lot of mistakes in doing so (like not putting Zoso in his own bracket). In my defense, I tried to make Canada help me with it, when KK and RaynEx came to help.

It was really fun meeting you though. People always say puff is gay, for stupid reasons when they don't see how hard it is to do well with her. As long as they complain about it I might as well give them something to really complain about :)

idea

Smash Master
I'm very sorry Idea. When I was called to seed it was my first time, and I did make a lot of mistakes in doing so (like not putting Zoso in his own bracket). In my defense, I tried to make Canada help me with it, when KK and RaynEx came to help.

It was really fun meeting you though. People always say puff is gay, for stupid reasons when they don't see how hard it is to do well with her. As long as they complain about it I might as well give them something to really complain about :)
meh, 'sok. but if i had had that bye and then played all the same people, our car would have gotten top 10 in both melee events =P

idea

Smash Master
yup. i mean, sanuzi's running it (the melee portion), i have to go.

and sure, i'll probably play you with fox, falco or falcon.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Idea's fox walked all over my puff.. I think it was a 3 stock?

But you guys should do puff dittos. They're pretty fun!

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Not if they know the matchup. Ugh.

I'm okay against Falcon now. Problem's Falco. I'm hyped for LBT2. Kyle I reaaaally want to play you.

idea

Smash Master
Not if they know the matchup. Ugh.

I'm okay against Falcon now. Problem's Falco. I'm hyped for LBT2. Kyle I reaaaally want to play you.
haha, aww. you will =P

as far as i can tell, the falco matchup is mostly him having actual combos and shooting lots of lasers...and jiggs moving around really carefully until she gets a hit in. at which point falco is generally screwed. if you can't turn a few isolated hits into an edgeguard or a rest, his slow tech roll makes him easy to techchase.

i guess it's sort of like falco-ganon. falco gets a lot of hits, the other character sneaks in far fewer, but those ones do much more damage than each of falco's. and jiggs will always have the mental edge, especially since the falco will feel like they're doing lots of work only to get gimped out of nowhere.

i don't know how i play against falco, really. i just kind of put fairs near his head and wing it.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
haha, aww. you will =P

as far as i can tell, the falco matchup is mostly him having actual combos and shooting lots of lasers...and jiggs moving around really carefully until she gets a hit in. at which point falco is generally screwed. if you can't turn a few isolated hits into an edgeguard or a rest, his slow tech roll makes him easy to techchase.

i guess it's sort of like falco-ganon. falco gets a lot of hits, the other character sneaks in far fewer, but those ones do much more damage than each of falco's. and jiggs will always have the mental edge, especially since the falco will feel like they're doing lots of work only to get gimped out of nowhere.

i don't know how i play against falco, really. i just kind of put fairs near his head and wing it.
Teehee. "wing" it.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I wing it too. I just try to get around lasers in the air while approaching to avoid getting grabbed. I'm in the air a lot in general because I don't like getting grabbed. I play against mostly Fox/Falcon/Marth, so getting grabbed is dumb. But thanks Idea for your description. I'm a Puff/Ganon main, so that comparison helped a lot. I think I understand the matchup more now.

That first match against G$ int he video you posted, GSUB, had so many rests. I can't pound and hope they don't tech and then jab reset rest. The people I play with will always get the tech.

I recently started USmashing a lot against Fox/Falco. Its so good... It puts them in such a bad position in the air, and you can usually stand back and watch them panic and do something laggy for you to punish.

idea

Smash Master
okay, cool =)

if they always get the tech then maybe you should be putting more pressure on them so they feel nervous and don't get it? i mean, no offense to the people you're playing, but even horrifyingly good players miss those techs some of the time.

but even if they do tech...chances are, their instinct is to tech "away" from you, which is behind you if you just hit them with pound, so jump really far back and bair them before they can move again.

(that tech option puts them farthest from you, so it feels safest...same reason so many people have the habit of rolling inward when they're standing by the edge)

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Yeah. I do that.

I'm still not confident against Falcos, though. I don't want to get knocked out of the brackets (assuming I get out of pools) by someone worse than me in skill just because I'm terrible at a certain matchup.

Doubles will be exciting. Hmmmm

idea

Smash Master
how does that beat crouching a lot + bairs?

maybe instead of trying to hit him, you should let him try to hit you. it's a lot harder =P

G~low

Smash Apprentice
Cause he's like,
I'ma run away and waveland everywhere,
and you can't effing touch me biatch,
then I'ma come in and moveset -> knee you when I find an opening cause you tried to hit me!
I lol'd'
mindgame into grabs and u-tilt more with empty short-hops.
And I think you DI the first move down and away to avoid combos into knee.

If wavelands bother you idk pick a stage with no platforms haha :laugh:

idea

Smash Master
you can also trying putting lots of pressure on falcon, spacing fairs and stuff. his out of shield game isn't so great. once you start doing that you can get more of those weird grabs and uptilts. falcon is pretty limited once you're all up in his face.

falcon dashdancing might beat that ^ though. which is when you have to start fighting fire with fire. except in this case "fire" means being patient and cautious.

also you can sort of nair under him, depending on what the falcon is doing.

oh, and if you don't want to spam crouch, only do it when you think he'll try to grab.

idea

Smash Master
okay, bairs it is then =P

you don't have to use them mindlessly or anything...catch him out of his jump with bairs and follow from there.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
ive never played melee competitivly but i went on a melee set at Pound 4 and played one of europes best in friendlies and 2-0'd him. he used falcon though and what i did to space was short hop and airdodge away diagonally. i never see any puff doing this. i approach with full hop fast fall dairs(L canceled)

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I'd think that the Falcons can get you OoS if you are above him, because his Uairs come quickly. If you space your aerials in front of him, though, he can't hit you. By the time he gets under you so that he can Uair you, you would already be in a different position. If they WD OoS you can probably hit them too. This is assuming you're full hopping.

So if you space Bairs, Falcon can't really do anything to you OoS. Or at least that's how things have worked with me so far.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
I'd think that the Falcons can get you OoS if you are above him, because his Uairs come quickly. If you space your aerials in front of him, though, he can't hit you. By the time he gets under you so that he can Uair you, you would already be in a different position. If they WD OoS you can probably hit them too. This is assuming you're full hopping.

So if you space Bairs, Falcon can't really do anything to you OoS. Or at least that's how things have worked with me so far.
well i mean full hop and immediately fast fall a dair and then L cancel it. i usually then mash grab because people tend to run into you trying to punish the lag. idk it works for me

Tamoo

Smash Master
Was this against C or jadde?

Us Euros do crap against puffs, which works fine for me :)

I like dair a lot, using a move most ppl are not too aware of can work to your advantage

idea

Smash Master
lol, that was your first tournament? gg getting second seed from pools then.

i should have beaten IB and gotten 5th X_X why would i upthrow and upair instead of rest? and furthermore, why would he not land on the platform after the upair? bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom