• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stupid theory

Binx

Smash Master
I have been noticing that I have some horrible habbits in this game, I feel I am a fairly average player in regards to the rest of the smash community, obviously not compared to better metagame states (NY, CALI, AZ) but overall. I want to make an effort to improve my game one point at a time and I was wondering if anyone had techniques they use to help weene themselves off losing tactics that used to win it for them or used to be tricky that just dont work anymore.

Example would be making the leap from really noob to intermediate where you stop rolling so **** much and start jumping, are there ways to keep this going until you are just a better/solid player?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Practice. I'll say it again: Practice. Every time you roll brand your hand with a clothing iron. Have someone stand next to you with a cattle prod too. If you get into a bad habit he'll shock you, you burn yourself, then you won't do it again.

Seriously, there are NO shortcuts, practice. Practice the moves in real life too. For example I chained grabbed my down before Uairing him into a Fair. Taught him to pee on the rug.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
yeah its all practice, and to stop rolling so much put a wavedash in its place, but keep in mind when moving away from something that feels comfortable to something less comfortable You will be owned... and probly for a good while too until you program these new techniques to finger memory... i had the same problem and overcame with practising wavedashes instead of rolls, it didnt really help anything skill wise but i was rolling less and less, so so this allowed me to learn how to place the wavedash properly and eventually that became my preproggramed response instead of the roll...
u can use this strategy to overcome any problem your having, but not just with wavedash...
so in short just practice

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I find the main thing that separates average players from higher level players is experience. With experience, you can predict what your opponent can do (and counter it), trick your opponent with mindgames, and knowing what to do in general. Any experienced player can beat a beginner using advanced techs any day

Binx

Smash Master
I have a feeling that lots of people think I roll too much and this isnt the case, more of it is like I jab at certain times pretty often or dash dance blizzard or grab alot at certain openings that arent necessarily 100% things of that nature, things that arent punished by most players but good to upper level players and above will punish accoordingly

psicicle

Smash Ace
Don't stop rolling altogether. Rolling is the best choice in some cases. But yeah, if you are spamming is for no reason, stop.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
yo have to think abou not using those moves each time u gonna play, i have the bad abbit to use the second jump in the platform, thats baad, but im improving it. XD

Yomi

Smash Cadet
One way to get rid of bad habits is to take a break. A week or two will do. I find that when I'm playing daily, my strategy is evolving from day to day. My knowledge is also improving evveryday, but I'm stuck with some of the flawed strategies I've become accustomed to. If you take a break, when you come backyou can reform your strategy based on better knowledge. You might even try watching a lot of videos or reading some strategy threads during those weeks.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
A great way to stop rolling is to get punched by your opponent everytime they attack and you roll, then their attack misses. Wavedash, jump, or run away or else your shoulder will be dark with bruises.

That's how I stopped rolling so much....

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah you just have to be conscious of it.

also a good idea is to record matches and watch and see what you're doing wrong.

but if you know exactly what you're doing wrong, all you have to do is not do it. pretty simple. just make a conscious effort

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Don't stop rolling altogether. Rolling is the best choice in some cases. But yeah, if you are spamming is for no reason, stop.
Unless you have a bad roll (Samus, omg) then I think there's times when you should use the roll. But more than twice in a row is pushing it.

I tend to roll when the person comes back to life, and is marth trying to grab me when I'm falco and cant shoot lasers at him. It works more often than it doesnt.

Top Bottom