• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stupid Yoshi Tricks (Now With Colors O:)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Remember that awesome video?

You know, the one with Yoshi grab releasing Wolf off of Final Destination into an Egg Lay Timeout to footstool? Dude, that mess was friggin sweet.

I'm not actually posting anything of substance, it's just that the last few posts reminded me of the video.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I remember that vid. That was pretty cool. Now, if only the timing for the Egg Lay Timeout (is that what we're calling it?) was practical enough to use normally. v.v

Another thing I like doing is chaining egg lays. It only really works if they're predictible in their break-outs, but it frustrates the hell out of them if you can pull it off. ^.^

:005:

auroreon

Smash Ace
Chaining Egglays is risky if can't time and space your DJC Egglays right. If you go to early u can catch the invincibility, too late and they can regain control, miss and you get punished. If you have a friend willing to let you practise it on them you can learn it pretty perfectly though and it can be really good.

Of course the problem lies with the variable timeout, you have to take into account...
- How good the opponant is at mashing out; a good opponant will mashout almost instantly, a bad opponant will take a bit longer and a scrub sometimes won't even mashout XD.
- What character it is; all characters break out differently and thus you have to adjust your aim.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: When they start to mashout; at first they will mashout as fast as they can which is great because it makes timing easy, however eventually they will learn to vary their breakout time to throw you off. What I do to know when they are gonna breakout is listen to their controller.

So, to predict when they will timeout I first see how good they are at mashing out (you should be paying attention to that anyway when you grab-release or egglay them) and when they are in the egg I listen for the controller starts 'clickity-clacking' then I just adjust my aim for the character and go for it.
It does me well almost all of the time, but I really do reccomend practising it alot before you use it in matches because if you don't get it right you will be punishable.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm very much used to anticipating my opponent's mashing skills. I love pummeling, and I abuse it whenever I get the chance, so I naturally pay attention to how much they mash. If I think they're going to break out quickly, I usually won't go for the egg lay; I'll go for a safer option, such as maybe egg toss, or simply wait for a reaction. It's when the opponent does consistantly do a mediocre mashing job and always comes out in the same way that I can usually punish with the egg lay. I haven't really practiced it on my own, but it works for those purposes in actual matches, so it works for me. I can't anticipate fast-fallers though; I surprise myself everytime the egg drops right next to me. o.0

:005:

auroreon

Smash Ace
I love the really fast fallers like fox, you don't have to aim so much cos you know they are always gonna break out on the ground. =)

Metatitan

Smash Master
Egg lay chaining does not consistently work. Think of it as tech chasing but the opponent has more options for you to read. They can mash out immediately, resulting in an airdodge or aerial, which you have to read perfectly in order to get another egg lay (that's like 7% damage, you risk getting hit by 13% or more).

You can mabey get 2-3 consecutive egg lays, but it's honestly not something I'd recommend you to use a lot.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Just throw an egg from egglay. It's the safest option with no consequences and a possible 9%. Along with that, you don't have to worry about getting hit while they are invincible. If you decide to smash while they are in the egg, you stale your usmash and do half damage. There is no reason to risk yourself when you can have a fairly easy 9%.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Updated YI:M Lmao its so clutch. I want lots of testing done on that stage just for the sake of Yoshi doing lulzy things there and this is "Stupid Yoshi Tricks" after all.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wait... grab-release to up-smash on Ice Climbers!? This is the first I've heard of this. o_o

Also, we have a grab-release to u-air on Jigglypuff.

:069:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@Polt: No we don't, but we do have it on Ice Climber! You can only do it to one of them at a time you silly goose (unless you grab Popo and Nana derps into it) :D

But tbh, I've never known that either .-.

themoreyouknow.jpeg[/ img]

EDIT: lol, what is this Sharky Abortion Lock in the water on DP?![/COLOR]

bigman40

Smash Master
I found that out when Sharky wanted me to re-test GRs, and CGs. The timing is weirder than normal as you can't Usmash as soon as possible when you regain control with Yoshi.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, it's really not match-up breaking anyways. We already owned SoPo enough as it is, but this will probably still help when they're separated.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Like ZSS' chain-grab, right?

By the way, a couple more things to add:

Yoshi can down-B cancel on Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, and Pictochat (and maybe some other stages I'm forgetting), DJ immediately, and waveland, allowing him to perform any ground move (could possibly combo if opponent get's hit by a star?).

Yoshi has a guaranteed grab on Ike if he hits him with an egg while he's recovering with his Aether (depends on his height, but on certain heights it's indeed guaranteed). This leads to an instant death if he's released off-stage with no DJ if you time your ledge-hog right.

Actually, we should probably list the characters that can't recover if we grab them out of their double-jump at the ledge. Falco and Wolf are victims of this. Link probably is, too. Also, don't forget that if we grab Snake, Pit, and Mr. Game & Watch out of their up-B's they can't use it anymore.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace

Actually, we should probably list the characters that can't recover if we grab them out of their double-jump at the ledge. Falco and Wolf are victims of this. Link probably is, too. Also, don't forget that if we grab Snake, Pit, and Mr. Game & Watch out of their up-B's they can't use it anymore.
AND SONIC

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Never got around to it. I'll put the Grab thing in but i wont put the egg thing as of now because its kinda iffy to explain (even though i think i get what you mean)

Also Gashi the Sharky abortion lock was the name we gave to "Hitting a swimming character with eggs repeatedly stopping them from getting out." Tbh idk who named it (either me, sharky, delta or air) But it was from the xat chat days.

Sharky

Smash Master
I think I just named it 'abortion lock' when I told people about it on xat, then someone stuck sharky at the beginning lol XD

and yeah the GR uair on jiggs only works when you're at a ledge, because you need the lack of jumpsquat frames to land it. San totally thought it could be landed anytime because you didn't know that, polt lol.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hey look i see Judo lurking lol, Yeaaaah now i remember lol you called it that and i said Sharky Abortion Lock when explaining it to Delta. Kay Changing it now, but uhhh i think we need to explain the no jump squat frames GR options somewhere so people can actually understand this.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm working on adding that to the beginner guide now.

Basically, whenever you jump normally, your character squats down for a small amount of time before leaving a jump, just as you would if you were to jump IRL. However, when you jump just as you are about to go off a ledge, you don't get those delay frames, but you are forced to do a full-hop. Using this, we have a few GR options that we could not normally get.

Yikarur

Smash Master
GR upsmash von Ice Climber is well known D: I can't believe no one knew about it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Really? That's really weird. I've landed it multiple times. I know you can't buffer anything when being grab-released, but still...

Sharky

Smash Master
Olimar - Fair

Ness - Fair, Nair

Jiggz - Uair

Ivysaur - Egglay

Peach - Egglay

Kirby - Egglay

Lucario - Egglay

ToonLink - Egglay

Luigi - Egglay

Zelda - Egglay

Samus - Egglay

edit: all from the ledge. Iirc from when I was messing with this stuff personally, I recall getting a fair on ivysaur was really close to possible at least, as well.

Top Bottom