• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

substance use bans?

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
As many of you know, in sports the use muscle and atheletic performance enhancing drugs such as steroids is illegal and banned in most all professional situations.

so what about mental dexterity and reaction time enhancing drugs such as the recent "fps" pill and energy drinks? should they be banned from brawl or other games? how much do these affect the players abilities to play?

discuss

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The only substances banned from competitive smash are illegal paraphernalia and abusing prescription meds when you aren't on them.

There is no valid argument for your mentioned items.

Nicole

Smash Champion
that's silly. people are mostly really really short on sleep during tournaments, which is why there is an abundance of energy drinks etc. i doubt it makes any significant performance enhancement.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Caffeine definitely makes a big performance difference, no doubt about that at all. It won't ever be banned from tournaments though.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
The famous energy drinks like Red Bull contain alot of vitamin B, this helps you focus much more, people even take vitamin B pills before exams or something like that. But if it isn't illegal in sports, I doubt it could ever be illegal in smash.

Banned via Warnings
The famous energy drinks like Red Bull contain alot of vitamin B, this helps you focus much more, people even take vitamin B pills before exams or something like that. But if it isn't illegal in sports, I doubt it could ever be illegal in smash.
true, but smash isnt near as much physical as it is mental. its a battle of wits and the ability to read your opponent. sports is about that as well, but much more about ones physical abilities whereas smash it is mainly mental ability that is the measure of who wins and loses.

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't psychoactive drugs make you play worse? You wouldn't be able to concentrate.
See it's 50/50 with this. One time on shrooms I was playing beyond my normal skill level against someone who wasn't even on them who I'd say is more or less equal to me. But like every 5 minutes or so, I'd forget I was even playing and just stand there. But when I was playing, it go to the point where this person couldn't hit me, and I could anticipate every single move they tried to throw at me. Weird huh?

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
I play better when Im high, it helps me relax and think better, it actually makes me more creative... Never really saw it as cheating though. What is this FPS pill youre talking about? :confused:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I play better when Im high, it helps me relax and think better, it actually makes me more creative...
I am reminded of lain, who said he needed his weed when at WHOBO.

What is this FPS pill youre talking about? :confused:
"First-Person Shooter" pill. (I jest.) You plan on getting some?

See, here's the thing. Not everyone has to take a drug or something to help them win. My brother asked not long ago at AiB in a blog entry if there was anyone who took Adderall, which is used for ADHD patients. The results from using it is increased "norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain" (Adderall XR Prescribing Information). "Adderall is widely reported to increase alertness, concentration and overall cognitive performance while decreasing user fatigue" (Adderall - Wikipedia).

Oh, and here's Link's exclusive AT, Beer Canceling. Hilarity will ensue.

Banned via Warnings
"First-Person Shooter" pill. (I jest.) You plan on getting some?
u jested correctly its a pill sold by a german company its called Fpsbrain lol

FpsBrain is a dietary supplement for intense muscle effort especielly for athlethes. It consists of a selected complex of ingredients that is subject to regular inspections by the state. The effect of the used ingredients is documented in numerous scientific studies. FpsBrain is being produced in a permanently controlled and climate-adjusted process, certified according to ISO 9001. Our production and bottling facilities meet the standard of the latest developments in processing equipment available on the market. Computerized inspections ensure the high quality standards that we hold our products up to.

FpsBrain: Overview of all ingredients/nutrition facts (daily intake):

1. Energy 31 kJ/ 7 kcal
2. Protein 1,70 g
3. Carbonhydrates 0,002 g
4. Fat 0,05 g
5. L-Tyrosine 900,00 mg
6. L-Glutamine 450,00 mg
7. Choline 270,00 mg
9. Ascorbic Acid 90,00 mg
10. Vitamin E 15,00 mg
11. Niacin Amide 27,00 mg
12. Selenium 60,00 µg
13. Calcium Pantothenate 9,00 mg
14. Vitamin B6 3,00 mg
15. Vitamin B2 2,40 mg
16. Vitamin B1 2,10 mg
17. Folic Acid 300,00 µg
18. Biotin 225,00 µg
19. Vitamin B12 1,50 µg

Try FpsBrain risk-free for 60 days
FpsBrain XB200 Liquid: Overview of all ingredients/nutrition facts (daily intake):

1. Energy 59 kJ/ 14 kcal
2. Protein < 0,1 g
3. Carbonhydrates 3,1 g
4. Fat < 0,1 g
5. Guarana extract 1000 mg (davon 100 mg Koffein)
6. Magnesium 50 mg
7. Vitamin B1 0,7 mg
8. Pantothen acid 3,0 mg
9. Vitamin B6 1,0 mg
10. Vitamin C 30 mg

The ingredients in detail:

L-tyrosine: In the body, tyrosine emerges from phenyl alanine to produce the neurohormone noradrenaline. Being a basic substance for neurotransmitters, it has a strongly stimulating effect. Various studies have shown that tyrosine enhances the cognitive performance in stressful situations like LAN sessions.

L-glutamine: Glutamine is closely related to the amino acid glutamic acid, which acts as a neurotransmitter in the glutamatergic synapses of the central nervous system. In the neurons, glutamine is then synthesized with the aid of the glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) GABA (y-aminobutyric acid). GABA is an important neurotransmitter and affects mental alertness and focus.

Choline: Acetylcholine is one of the most important neurotransmitters, concerned with memory and sensory signals. The body produces acetylcholine, but not always in sufficient amounts. To simply consume acetylcholine does not have a positive effect, since it is being decomposed in the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, it is more sensible to take in choline, the precursor. Studies show that choline can provide for the ideal concentration of acetylcholine in the brain.

Vitamin C: Vitamin C acts as a free radical scavenger and has an antioxidant effect. Furthermore, it is critical for the composition of amino acids like tyrosine.

Vitamin E: One of the most important functions of vitamin E is its ability to keep fatty acids from oxidation. Free radicals would corrode the double bonds of the cell membranes fatty acids.

Niacin amide: Among other functions, niacin amide is part of the carbohydrate metabolism. This explains its importance in the regeneration of skin, muscles, nerves and DNA.

Vitamin B2: Vitamin B2 plays a central role in the metabolism. Neurologists recommend the intake of vitamin B2 as a prophylaxis for migraine. Statistically, this lowers the likelihood to suffer from migraines by 50 %.

Vitamin B1: Vitamin B1 is essential for the combustion of carbohydrates. Being a coenzyme, it consumes itself during the process. Because the brain and nerve cells depend on energy from carbohydrates, a thiamine deficiency has a critical effect on brain and neural functions.
that is all the information about what is in them

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
I remember when I tried that WoW Mana Potion energy drink to play smash "better"
Don't do it...Just don't...
Believe me. Its the worst feeling I've ever got. This "shake" of energy just boosts in and paralyzes your whole body, making it impossible for you to concentrate.
Then I puked...lol yeah

So yeah. Don't do drugs kids.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Anything illegal in the area you are should illegal in the tournament scene.
Just remember about crashes though...
*insert substance* rush => *insert substance* crash/ withdrawl.
Although I don't think its the same for caffine...

Just sleep well the day before...

c3gill

Smash Ace
i always find that a
line or 2 of coke, maybe a bowl packed nicely
Red Bull or Redline makes me do better.

Why would any substances, other than illegal ones, be banned? that seems a little stupid.

If you cant beat a pothead
.......... get high?
get better?

lain

Smash Master
Just to let you know, I play a lot better when I'm high.

It's because my body is used to it, and I always play while high, so it's conditioned learning.

You can't really ban any sort of substance use (or abuse). What are you going to do? Piss test? Breathalyzer? People can smoke weed outside of any venue anywhere and then come back inside smelling like nothing if they simply wait for 20 minutes.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Just to let you know, I play a lot better when I'm high.

It's because my body is used to it, and I always play while high, so it's conditioned learning.
Encoding specificity would be the technical term.

... that's messed up man.

You can't really ban any sort of substance use (or abuse). What are you going to do? Piss test? Breathalyzer? People can smoke weed outside of any venue anywhere and then come back inside smelling like nothing if they simply wait for 20 minutes.
You could make the same argument about professional sports. If a host had the resources and wanted to do it, you can bet your *** he'd find a test.

*~*~*~
For me, I am ****ing terrified of drunk people. There's not a person alive who couldn't Beer Cancel and just sweep against me. I am not joking. That **** would ****. I might just drop without even playing the set.

So for me I am very much on the side of getting the common feel to be that hosts attempt to shut down substance use. . . somehow. . . .

Banned via Warnings
You could make the same argument about professional sports. If a host had the resources and wanted to do it, you can bet your *** he'd find a test.

*~*~*~
For me, I am ****ing terrified of drunk people. There's not a person alive who couldn't Beer Cancel and just sweep against me. I am not joking. That **** would ****. I might just drop without even playing the set.

So for me I am very much on the side of getting the common feel to be that hosts attempt to shut down substance use. . . somehow. . . .
its wouldnt be too hard to test :/ your body does physical things it wouldnt normally do such as eye dialation or reaction and depth perception loss/gain etc...

beer-canceling is merely a mindgame only attainable by the brain when it is at loss of blood allowing them to spam until a blood rush forces a smart move to happen. if their head turns red from blood rush block dodge or counter ._. the result is a beer-cancel-cancel the drunk person then gets ko'd reguardless of damage percentage becuase a beer-cancel-cancel stuns harder than shieldbreaking

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I just went to a small tournament after 40 hours of being awake, took a 5 hour energy drink beforehand and got second place.

LOL!

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that the drugs we're talking about don't really put you at a mental "advantage". They just change the way you perceive things which can be good or bad for competitive tourney matches.

EDIT:

Datura is excellent for improving performance

>___>
Lol that stuff messes up lives D:

Top Bottom