• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sudden Death may toss you out of the tournament

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Sudden death has completely changed, if you think about turtling in this tournament, i wouldnt do so if i were you. When its sudden death, you would try to make the smartest move possible right, but that takes time. Id say like after 10-20 secs, bombs come out at random spots in the stage rapidly and keep falling until someone dies. Its like a 50/50 chance if you turtle on sudden death, just try to dodge the bombs.
I am fairly certain this happened in Melee too... didn't it?

Or if so, does it happen sooner now or about the same?

Luz

Smash Apprentice
That was the only fun part about Super Sudden Death mode. You'd wait till the bombs started falling, then try to survive.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Yeah, that was in Melee, too. I remember since my friend was playing his round in a mini tourney at school, and Bob-ombs came out of nowhere. He was all "WTF" and lost. =P

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
That happened in Melee as well.
The funny thing is, I've been playing Melee since launch as well, yet only found out about bombs in Sudden Death a few months ago.

Never had a Sudden Death last long enough for them until my roommate and I's rivalry started up.

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
That was the only fun part about Super Sudden Death mode. You'd wait till the bombs started falling, then try to survive.
not super sudden but sudden death. I am doing that with a lvl 9 cpu for fun..

GinRei

Smash Apprentice
Wrong. It's all done using the in-game tournament mode, which means... sudden death.
From the Gamestop Rules:
TIES:

In case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner. In case of a tie in Round 3, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that received the less falls overall. In case of a further tie, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that has the least amount of self-destructs overall.
Though I see what you're saying, this is why I gave the answer I gave.

Edds

Smash Ace
you could avoid the bomb rain on pokemon stadium in melee by camping under the platforms.

Boosh3

Smash Rookie
The player with the lowest percentage wins. Obviously gamestops varry, but my local store is following the exact rules that were provided by nintendo. I guess sudden death is an option that could be turned off, but i know that there wont be rematches, because its impossible to tie unless both players are at an equal percent.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
From the Gamestop Rules:

Though I see what you're saying, this is why I gave the answer I gave.
And I see what you're saying, but I know for sure: All gamestops are doing the tournament with the in-game tournament mode. They're not allowed to seed them themselves. So unless they're stopping the tournament mode every time someone ties, then making them replay the match, over and over, then it's sudden death. Think of the logistical problems. I know that if that were the case, and a friend of mine and I were fighting one another, we'd spend 5 or 6 matches just getting used to the controls without attacking each other.

Papapaint

The player with the lowest percentage wins. Obviously gamestops varry, but my local store is following the exact rules that were provided by nintendo. I guess sudden death is an option that could be turned off, but i know that there wont be rematches, because its impossible to tie unless both players are at an equal percent.
Also not true. Nintendo's rules state that they use the in-game tournament mode. I was at my gamestop when the manager opened the giant envelope.

Boosh3

Smash Rookie
yes, i know the in game tourney mode is going to be used, but is there an option to turn off sudden death?

straight off of gamestop's official rules

n case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner. In case of a tie in Round 3, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that received the less falls overall. In case of a further tie, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that has the least amount of self-destructs overall.

i have no idea what to believe anymore :laugh:

Papapaint

yes, i know the in game tourney mode is going to be used, but is there an option to turn off sudden death?

straight off of gamestop's official rules

n case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner. In case of a tie in Round 3, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that received the less falls overall. In case of a further tie, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that has the least amount of self-destructs overall.

i have no idea what to believe anymore :laugh:
Again, I see what you're saying, but I'm convinced that by rematch, they mean sudden death--which is technically a rematch.

Boosh3

Smash Rookie
meh, the manager at my local gamestop stated that there is no sudden death, but i guess thats some sort of rematch....

Top Bottom