• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I know it falls squarely in the realm of "too good to be true", but it would be good marketing on their part to reveal a slew of newcomers in the final two months.

It's one of the few things I could see bringing us back to a similar level of hype that we got from the "Everyone is Here" trailer.

It's not proof of anything of course. I'm just saying it would be a smart way to promote the game in the final months.

I normally wouldn't really bring this up, but the idea of five more stages does make me feel a little more confident on the idea. I always thought that if we were getting 5-6 more stages they would all be "hard hitting" stages attached to newcomers. Random oddball stages are not something I'm really expecting at this point. (except maybe one but that would still leave four newcomer stages)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I know it falls squarely in the realm of "too good to be true", but it would be good marketing on their part to reveal a slew of newcomers in the final two months.

It's one of the few things I could see bringing us back to a similar level of hype that we got from the "Everyone is Here" trailer.

It's not proof of anything of course. I'm just saying it would be a smart way to promote the game in the final months.

I normally wouldn't really bring this up, but the idea of five more stages does make me feel a little more confident on the idea. I always thought that if we were getting 5-6 more stages they would all be "hard hitting" stages attached to newcomers. Random oddball stages are not something I'm really expecting at this point. (except maybe one but that would still leave four newcomer stages)
I'd say if they could put two uniques and three echos in the August direct, then for a finale presentation, it's not beyond them to throw in three and four.

That would require something to be shown in October as well for anybody else (and October isn't guaranteed to get anything), and how much time can they dedicate to newcomers when they still have to talk about Spirits mode and other things that aren't just characters?

Unless they really just want to blow our socks off and dump everything into that final Smash direct. It may take an hour but that'd be the most hype we've seen yet. It's totally Sakurai to defy every expectation like that.

Smash usually closes out with considerably less hype than how it opens, but this is an ideal situation for flipping that on its head.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That would require something to be shown in October as well for anybody else (and October isn't guaranteed to get anything), and how much time can they dedicate to newcomers when they still have to talk about Spirits mode and other things that aren't just characters?

Smash usually closes out with considerably less hype than how it opens, but this is an ideal situation for flipping that on its head.
I think it's likely that October will get some sort of a reveal. I believe in the lead up to the release of the last Smash game every month (like in the last 3-4 months) had a reveal.

I don't think it's exactly true that Smash closes out with less hype than how it opens, it's more that the reveals just become more niche and arguably appeal to less people. Shulk is a good example. (which arguably could be a good thing for characters like Isaac and Geno)

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Do you think coro coro might have added the training stage in their count?
Anything's possible, given we have no clue what the total number of stages is. Could be 103 (Doubt), could be 108, could be 108 + training stage. It's not a for sure thing til the game is out.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
#teamMagazine

The box theory with only 2 newcomers left really makes me sad

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do you think coro coro might have added the training stage in their count?
It seems somewhat unlikely, considering 108 stages + a stage dlc button fits in so well with the stage select screen we already have.

Plus you have to remember that it's Nintendo who would be supplying them with this information, so CoroCoro wouldn't be interpreting the information they'd just be relaying what Nintendo told them.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think it's likely that October will get some sort of a reveal. I believe in the lead up to the release of the last Smash game every month (like in the last 3-4 months) had a reveal.

I don't think it's exactly true that Smash closes out with less hype than how it opens, it's more that the reveals just become more niche and arguably appeal to less people. Shulk is a good example. (which arguably could be a good thing for characters like Isaac and Geno)
That's sort of what I mean. Part of their Smash 4 opener was Mega Man, somebody who was one of the biggest requests and came to near universal praise, and their closer with Shulk, whom most people didn't recognize.

So it's possible Ultimate could be the same way (Ridley could be considered the new Mega Man), but I would have a hard time believing it (beyond Incineroar) if the stages tell us we still have around 3-5 characters left. One of them inevitably has to be big, and Isaac/Geno would both benefit from having the Smash direct as the closer. They'll have an audience that mostly recognizes them and/or can appreciate their inclusions.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
About Corocoro...

I actually worked as an author in a french videogame magazine.
I'm not on the typo theory nor in the 103 stages followers, but still, do remember that typo can actually be a thing. There's no 100% chances that scenario is stupid or unlikely just because it's Corocoro.

Often, on a videogame magazine, the proofreader are not the author of the page they check, and don't verify the information, just the grammar and so on. In the worst case, proofreader are not even videogame player (but honestly, I think it's really rare). The fact that this Info is written with a big sized font doesn't change anything.
Believe me, those things actually happen a lot, even with the most famous magazine. Not necessarily with something this big, sure, but this is Smash Bros, so the fans will immediately notice the info and start theorizing about it.
There's also the possibility that the author bring a typo on purpose to buzz about smash and their magazine. Or that the author of the page was given the task to write about smash and actually didn't follow the news efficiently (also happen a lot of time, I remember reading a lot of bull**** on several focus in some prestigious magazine when they talk about big franchise, and it actually also happend in my magazine, juste because one of the author wanted to talk about a game that he actually didn't perfectly knew as he thought.)

That being said, I think the info is legit. But there's still so many reasons that could explain this is false. A stage number among every big informations we got about smash could easily been touched on.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like Incineroar has to be on the cards soon, he'll probably be the next reveal.....but I think he'll have someone else (another unique newcomer) appearing alongside him. That's my gut feeling right now.

Not in the same trailer obviously, just at the same time.

I wouldn't get carried away thinking about this.....but I think some kind of smash direct in October could be possible, with Sakurai announcing at the end another "50 fact extravaganza" type smash direct for November or early December.

On another note, the typo theory seems like a very convenient argument to me. I think it's a lot more logical to take it at face value, rather than working to discredit what they said.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I go back on what I said. I don't believe this page anymore.
I explain all of the reasons why it could be a typo or a misleading information, except the most obvious one.

I have the feeling that a lot of people gave too much credibility on magazines. Especially videogames magazine coming from Japan.

So, before people go bananas as it is already the case elsewhere on the net, I will still remind you the context.

This is a magazine. This has no authority in terms of information, even more so when no interview is there to explain this new figure that has not been seen anywhere else.

I'm a writer for a VG magazine, so I know the context. Editors and even chief editors, are people like you and me, with the particularity of being a fan of VG and having (when the magazine is good) qualities in the field of journalism (modeling, writing, grouping of information etc). These are by no means insiders (even if sometime, some of them are) keeping their info directly from the VG studios themselves. And when they have contacts, they immediately say it to gave more credit to their infos.

It is often the case that the editors interpret the information they receive, according to their personal moods and opinions, and are sometimes aware of it to the point of using it to stand out from other competing magazines, in order to promote slightly more different informations.
In this case, I imagine very well that the author took again the very popular theory of the "missing slots", which by omitting "random" gives exactly 108 stages.

So, again, don't take that info like it has 80 or 100% chances to be true.

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
Guys dont worry about the box cover, we will get at leats 1 smash direct and i predict at least 3 newcomers in that in a final trailer and 2 echos. Only getting Isabelle in the normal direct makes sense because she promoted animal crossing and tried to get in casuals for smash. A k.rool or a simon belmont would never get a reveal in such a direct. It was port fiesta and mostly for casual audience. Heck i would even say we get a grand final reveal with 5 new characters and 3 echos

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I can't believe! I wake up and the first thing I see is that the 103rs have been slain by Corocoro! If we're getting five new stages, this is brilliant news for Isaac and any other newcomers that are from new franchises! (Though I wouldn't be surprised if one of the stages is a monster hunter stage based on the boss-arena of the Rathalos).

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
So I just saw this over on Reddit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eK1TX29NzZBG32IgTPeXURvAJRNMlnV_/view

Apparently it's the translated version of the CoroCoro page.

Edit: The Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9g9dff/i_translated_that_corocoro_scan_about_the_stages/

I think the "over" part was mistranslated though. Apparently the line reads something like "no less than 108 stages".
can confirm that the over part isn't really there. For a more direct translation "Somehow, 108 stages have entered / appeared". ”The 'battle stages' are in the image of various games. More over, there is no gimmick."

something along those lines

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe! I wake up and the first thing I see is that the 103rs have been slain by Corocoro! If we're getting five new stages, this is brilliant news for Isaac and any other newcomers that are from new franchises! (Though I wouldn't be surprised if one of the stages is a monster hunter stage based on the boss-arena of the Rathalos).
Meanwhile Verge went and said the remaining two characters are Ken and Incineroar and I'm sitting over here in extreme disappointment at that since that's essentially the anti-hype for final releases for me.

I honestly don't believe it but it disappoints me if that's the case, how awkwardly reverse hype-wise.

Last edited:

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I really really hope this nodes well for our boy Isaac. We'll find out this week if blog theory still holds water.

Tonight and Tuesday are going to be most important. I don't feel like they would have held back an animal crossing song unless it is so inextricably tired to Isabelle as to be obvious.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile Verge went and said the remaining two characters are Ken and Incineroar and I'm sitting over here in extreme disappointment at that since that's essentially the anti-hype for final releases for me.
He said that none of his sources could deny or confirm box theory, basically the easiest leak there is some he wins either way.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I'd also like to apologize, I don't like posting negative-style posts. My emotions are sorta outta wack at the moment so I'll probably refrain from making more without calming down first.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

I honestly don't believe it but it disappoints me if that's the case, how awkwardly reverse hype-wise.
Well, in my eyes, the 108 stages kills the box theory as we won't be getting five new stages just out of Incineroar. We know that Verge believes a Square Enix character is coming as well, so I'm less inclined to put stock into the box.

Also, are people really still doubting the 108 stages page in Corocoro. Think about it - That's probably the biggest piece of information they had regarding the game because it's something the public did not know. They're not going to go and screw up the biggest piece of information on one of the most hyped Switch games of the year.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Well, in my eyes, the 108 stages kills the box theory as we won't be getting five new stages just out of Incineroar. We know that Verge believes a Square Enix character is coming as well, so I'm less inclined to put stock into the box.

Also, are people really still doubting the 108 stages page in Corocoro. Think about it - That's probably the biggest piece of information they had regarding the game because it's something the public did not know. They're not going to go and screw up the biggest piece of information on one of the most hyped Switch games of the year.
Yeah I agree, I figure there's more characters than what is being assumed for the base game. I seriously need to stop reading the general discussion completely from now on, it's just depressing me. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think it's weird that they didn't reveal the Monster Hunter stage at that point though. It would have been the perfect time to announce it. So I'm leaning towards Monster Hunter as a franchise just having a different role in the game. (Like a "Monster Hunter" world/level in Spirits mode)

Personally I'm predicting that there's going to be Spirits/Adventure mode content for franchises owned by pre-existing third parties in Smash that don't get their own stages. (I mean if Bomberman can be an assist and not get a stage I don't really see why something similar can't happen with Monster Hunter)

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
To go on something funnier to talk about:
What kind of items from Golden Sun would you like to see added to the item list of Smash ? Can be food, weapons, psynergy items, whatever.
Having Excalibur as a super rare item would be fun, kinda like the gold hammer. A sword that launches a projectile from an angle after a smash which can connect and do a spike/meteor (is that the right term?) if you hit an ennemy at relatively high percentage.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree, I figure there's more characters than what is being assumed for the base game. I seriously need to stop reading the general discussion completely from now on, it's just depressing me. :p
Haha, I get my depression from gamefaqs, so I know that feeling. On smash boards I pretty much just post here. Someone's in another newcomer thread.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
To go on something funnier to talk about:
What kind of items from Golden Sun would you like to see added to the item list of Smash ? Can be food, weapons, psynergy items, whatever.
Having Excalibur as a super rare item would be fun, kinda like the gold hammer. A sword that launches a projectile from an angle after a smash which can connect and do a spike/meteor (is that the right term?) if you hit an ennemy at relatively high percentage.
Elemental Stars:
Venus - Attacks knock enemy into dug state
Mars - Doubles power of attacks
Jupiter - Increased knockback on attacks
Mercury - Attacks cause enemy to freeze
-
Assist Trophies:
Kraden - Chats everyone's heads off
Alex - Water Spouts people really high
Wise One - Floats around and stares. Increases gravity when it stares down
Jenna - BEAM!
-
Lemurian Draught - Increases lifetime, essentially halving all damage you take for that life

Off the top of my head.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If this IS a mistake, won't Nintendo have to correct it pretty quickly?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Elemental Stars:
Venus - Attacks knock enemy into dug state
Mars - Doubles power of attacks
Jupiter - Increased knockback on attacks
Mercury - Attacks cause enemy to freeze
-
Assist Trophies:
Kraden - Chats everyone's heads off
Alex - Water Spouts people really high
Wise One - Floats around and stares. Increases gravity when it stares down
Jenna - BEAM!
-
Lemurian Draught - Increases lifetime, essentially halving all damage you take for that life

Off the top of my head.
I'd say the Stars works like the kirby railthingy that you gather pieces of. if you get all 4, you summon the Golden Sun on stage, burying all people around it and receiving massive buffs for that life or for a limited time.

You could find djinns on the field for the effect you thought of. Maybe they'd be exclusive to the golden sun stage however, like the thing you destroy in the castlevania stage.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the Stars works like the kirby railthingy that you gather pieces of. if you get all 4, you summon the Golden Sun on stage, burying all people around it and receiving massive buffs for that life or for a limited time.

You could find djinns on the field for the effect you thought of. Maybe they'd be exclusive to the golden sun stage however, like the thing you destroy in the castlevania stage.
Or the summon materia on midgar.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Decided to go through most of it. only things i omitted are the blue strip and the one under the mario odyssey stage, and the tournament mode.

"Smash Bros. ... It's massive."
”Not only with characters! Every element is packed with enrichment !"

"Stages, Songs, Modes
Everything is in a special light." (Note: more so at 'the height of specialness)
”In order to experience the entirety of the game, honestly how much time is enough!"

”Somehow, 108 stages have entered / appeared".
”The 'battle stages' are in the image of various games. More over, there is no trick."

”Raise the tension with over 900 battle tracks"
”During a battle, feel your fighting spirit and fighting instincts at max with well known music."

”It's also full of battle modes, so i can't finish playing."
"A variety of battle modes such as Group Fights and Tournament mode."

The think that worries me about the article is it specifically states battle tracks as being over 900. 曲の戦闘音楽 (the 以上 is just stating it's over) Unless somehow each new stage gets 20 tracks

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd like to believe this as well. However, Ivan here did have a point that if he's deconfirmed, we might lose a lot of traction despite the rapid increase in Golden Sun's attention. That's simply in a worst case scenario, mind you, yet it might be a good idea to push for GS 1+2 remastered and/or GS 4, (preferably GS 1+2 remastered because they don't really have the original team together, and they'd have a guideline to follow, allowing them to get a better idea, and more experience with Golden Sun as a whole) around now and further onwards, regardless of the outcome. Furthermore, we have all gathered together regardless, so it might be a good opportunity for us.
Yeah my idea was of course banking on Isaac being in Smash. If Isaac was say top 5 in ballot, clearly that shows hes popular and there's still massive demand for Golden Sun. So on the knowledge that he was one of the newcomers picked and I'm sure Sakurai would be collaborating with Camelot like he does with IS with FE reps, instead of sitting on three years, waiting for Isaac to debut in Smash before starting work on any GS games, knowing that if he's coming to Smash, he'll get introduced to a new audience and gain more popularity anyways.

I don't see why they wouldn't start working on a concept for GS 4 or a reboot to the series altogether if they don't want to continue where it left off. It's kind of like how Shulk debuts in Smash and one year later Xenoblade X is released, which meant they must have been working on it in addition to knowing Shulk would be in Smash and give the Xenoblade brand that recognizability.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
No suprise if there really are more stages, never thought 103 was the final number.

Also the vergeben leak means nothing, anyone could pick two safe choices now and say he has no further information.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Yeah my idea was of course banking on Isaac being in Smash. If Isaac was say top 5 in ballot, clearly that shows hes popular and there's still massive demand for Golden Sun. So on the knowledge that he was one of the newcomers picked and I'm sure Sakurai would be collaborating with Camelot like he does with IS with FE reps, instead of sitting on three years, waiting for Isaac to debut in Smash before starting work on any GS games, knowing that if he's coming to Smash, he'll get introduced to a new audience and gain more popularity anyways.

I don't see why they wouldn't start working on a concept for GS 4 or a reboot to the series altogether if they don't want to continue where it left off. It's kind of like how Shulk debuts in Smash and one year later Xenoblade X is released, which meant they must have been working on it in addition to knowing Shulk would be in Smash and give the Xenoblade brand that recognizability.
That makes sense that that would happen, yet, I would've expected an announcement for a working new Golden Sun last direct if that were to be the case. Sure enough, they might be with-holding that kind of announcement until Isaac would be confirmed, yet, I think it'd be in our safest interest to push regardless. Simply my opinion though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like to believe this as well. However, Ivan here did have a point that if he's deconfirmed, we might lose a lot of traction despite the rapid increase in Golden Sun's attention. That's simply in a worst case scenario, mind you, yet it might be a good idea to push for GS 1+2 remastered and/or GS 4, (preferably GS 1+2 remastered because they don't really have the original team together, and they'd have a guideline to follow, allowing them to get a better idea, and more experience with Golden Sun as a whole) around now and further onwards, regardless of the outcome. Furthermore, we have all gathered together regardless, so it might be a good opportunity for us.
If they are gonna remake the first two Golden Sun games, I do hope for a Dark Dawn remake as well- with added content, which would either be a longer story to Dark Dawn or straight up Golden Sun 4. It would be crazy to have new Golden Sun games, but the Dark Dawn open ending would not be adressed in any sort of way.

Speaking of Golden Sun, am bothered that I have so much trouble sending my data from the first game over to The Lost Age currently. Given, after 3AM isn't exactly the right timing to try and transfer these extreme difficult codes over with a dated system, and my eye for detail isn't that great either a top of having a serious attention disorder, but yeah... Wish it was much easier. This is why I used the link cable when I played them on GBA and not on the PC. :rolleyes:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I look forward to the next Billybo10k video about the CoroCoro article and the latest Vergeben (whose name he can never pronounce correctly) comments. Just wish I could figure out where his intro song comes from...

Q-Long

Smash Lord

Hot Isaac for Smash!

You know... like one or two years ago Konami (suprisingly) did a poll that asked which of their dead series did people want to revive. I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly, SEGA has done this as well. I have looked, but I don't think Capcom or Namco have done this. Come on!

Konami
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/2...ich-series-to-revive-suikoden-is-on-the-list/

SEGA
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/11/19...eveal-what-franchise-fans-want-to-see-return/

Well... as we all know Konami gives no fugs. Maybe if we are lucky Sakurai will have Contra and Suidoken shoutouts. SEGA is interesting though... because after this poll was done, we are getting new Sakura Wars, Shenmue, Streets of Rage, and Virtua Fighter (no new Skies though ;-; )

I think it would be interesting to see what poll results we would get for what Nintendo series people want to be revived as opposed to what Smash newcomers they want. I might make one.

Last edited:

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
No suprise if there really are more stages, never thought 103 was the final number.

Also the vergeben leak means nothing, anyone could pick two safe choices now and say he has no further information.
Incineroar isn’t really a safe pick though. Ken, sure, as he’s the original echo fighter. But for months and months, Decidueye was the “safe pick” for a Pokemon rep.

I’m not sure why anybody is still saying Verge is just getting lucky. It’s pretty obvious he has some degree of insider information.

D

Deleted member

I'm just kinda wondering though, how did this magazine know about the stage count at 108? What I mean is, how did Nintendo let info like that through?
Well, during a new Pokemon generation, CoroCoro is pretty much the go-to magazine for new information, so I'm not at all surprised about this being where we found out about the new stage list.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Even if Vergeben is right about his choices, don't forget he never knew anything about King K.Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus at all. There is obviously more characters than the ones he listed imo

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Everyone should keep in mind that Vergeben said that "in the least" Ken and Incineroar are left, meaning that they are definitely coming, but more could show up.

Top Bottom