• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Super) Aggressive foxes, how do I deal with em?

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I play against this SUPER aggro fox in my friend group. I simply have not won a single match against his fox, but I can take out people higher ranked than him for some reason. I think this is because of his insane drillshine pressure, and how whenever a single, small opportunity comes about, I get totally *****. He approaches every single time, and very consistently at that. I can read him, but for some reason he's just too damn fast. I'm not used to this kind of playstyle at all, and I'm having a really hard time adapting. Please give me some tips. Also, I have no idea what to do OOS when he's waveshining/ drillshining. I get in a grab to punish his shield pressure, but flacos throws suck. Shine OOS are super finicky and I get punished by drill/ clank with shine.

Here are some vids of his fox to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (it's PM but it's basically the same way he plays) (Also, sorry for my crappy pre-pubescent commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvFZJJhCyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3utl6aE_7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyioTvYbBQ

Last edited:

ZeroSuit700

Smash Rookie
(How I do it) I'm not much of an expert, but I once saw I think it was Ken vs PC Chris where Ken would just counter PC Chris, and it worked.
Aggressive players generally becomes predictable, so study him; find his weakness.
Shielding is important, but also try spacing. If you can space him, he will get desperate; it's a matter of spacing and punishing.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Shine oos is a great tool for falco in this matchup. I know u say its finicky but ur probably not picking the right spots against him. If ur getting grabs then there are some pretty big holes in his pressure. WD oos before his pressure is also effective if he is mindlessly attacking.

General neutral advise. Fox is faster than u and its critical u lock him down with lasers. That doesn't mean spam lasers, but u should try to use them to cut off his short hops or clip him as he is coming off platforms. Also ur tilts are amazing, they can stuff a lot of foxes approaches with them.

Overall though he is probably just better than u and is aggressive because of that. Rank/percieved doesn't mean much unless ur top level. If u know how to counter him but he's too fast for u then u have to be faster urself. Lots of players know what to do in any given situation, but it takes practice to implement. This will be magnified in faster matchups.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Aggro players always play full tilt until they're made to respect defensive options. Some of the easy ways to make him respect your defense his to cc->shine his nair approaches, watching his vids, the nairs are often thrown early in the jump, which means they're super easy to cc. If he's drilling your shield you need to work on shining him OoS.

If he crosses up drills, bair out of shield. Wherever possible, try to whiff punish instead of block punish (move out of the way instead of shielding).

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Aggressive Foxes tend to aerial approach all the time. A million SHFFL Nairs at once. Try to anti air this. SH Bair in place (facing away from Fox). Back hit up tilt. front hit up smash. You could try to predict his jumps and SH laser accordingly.

People also said CC shine him. Learn the percents where Falco can no longer CC Shine Fox's Nair and back air.

If he's aggressive, he's gonna try to be all over your shield. know when to roll, Shine OoS, Grab, or hold your shield. If he doing aerial shield pressure and pulls back on his aerial, simply escape. Don't try to roll into him, or spotdodge, or grab or Shine OoS Get away from him. FH away, roll away, WD away.

Also make sure to punish him or her hard. If people know that if they get hit, they'll die from some huge combo, they tend to play a little safe and scared.

Last edited:

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
WDback -> Ftilt. Actually, just Ftilt all over him until he respects how OP that move is. It won't combo into anything, but it'll cool him down...and with an aggressive player if you cool them down you've got the advantage.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
Grab him, as Falco you can backthrow regrab and upthrow him, if he DIs properly and you cant regrab him then just grab and upthow him, but make sure that when you upthrow him he lands on platform, from there on you can start your punish game

Grabs have the power to change the momentum of the match, always keep that in mind

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Grab him, as Falco you can backthrow regrab and upthrow him, if he DIs properly and you cant regrab him then just grab and upthow him, but make sure that when you upthrow him he lands on platform, from there on you can start your punish game

Grabs have the power to change the momentum of the match, always keep that in mind
Not as falco. If u try to grab too much against fox especially ur just going to get shined. Falco's grabs aren't great to get punishes, their best uses are to gain stage control or fthrow a high percentage opponent offstage for an edgegaurd.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
Not as falco. If u try to grab too much against fox especially ur just going to get shined. Falco's grabs aren't great to get punishes, their best uses are to gain stage control or fthrow a high percentage opponent offstage for an edgegaurd.
Its not like your going to be spamming grabs, yes you get stage control and if he just stays there on platform Shielding I do belive you can go up and punish him

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I'd argue with this. Falco's throws are really good on bad DI actually

Varist

Smash Lord
I play against this SUPER aggro fox in my friend group. I simply have not won a single match against his fox, but I can take out people higher ranked than him for some reason. I think this is because of his insane drillshine pressure, and how whenever a single, small opportunity comes about, I get totally *****. He approaches every single time, and very consistently at that. I can read him, but for some reason he's just too damn fast. I'm not used to this kind of playstyle at all, and I'm having a really hard time adapting. Please give me some tips. Also, I have no idea what to do OOS when he's waveshining/ drillshining. I get in a grab to punish his shield pressure, but flacos throws suck. Shine OOS are super finicky and I get punished by drill/ clank with shine.

Here are some vids of his fox to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (it's PM but it's basically the same way he plays) (Also, sorry for my crappy pre-pubescent commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvFZJJhCyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3utl6aE_7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyioTvYbBQ
just nairshine him back it's really as simple as that
if fox wants to play like that you can just play the same way and win generally

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue with this. Falco's throws are really good on bad DI actually
I guess I play players with good DI then lol. Kidding aside I don't find many times where falco should go for a grab when shine is usually a better option. Bad DI on shine leads to even more, and even good DI should net at least one followup. Nothing is guaranteed of throws.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Well, position is guaranteed off throws for what it's worth.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
^
..... their best uses are to gain stage control or fthrow a high percentage opponent offstage for an edgegaurd.
I think we are on the same page. I was just refferiing to followups in my last comment.

Top Bottom