• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vGxVisions

Smash Cadet
Koopa's Army
1. Goomba or Shy Guy or Monty Mole
2. Koopa Troopa or Boo or Dry Bones
3. Kamek(Magikoopa) or Wiggler or Hammer Bro.
If they worked like Pokemon Trainer, who would you have as a group and is there any other enemies who could be included.

jigglover

Smash Lord
What about Magikoopa? Dry Bones is just a dead koopa
Hmm... I've never thought of Magikoopa as a sub-species of Koopa, but I suppose you're right (as the name suggests). Don't forget though, dry bones was playable in MKW along with (dead) dry bowser. I wouldn't go to the 'dead koopa' thing so quickly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
By dead, I meant they aren't technically a sub species. They are dead koopa brought back to life.

It's not like they are born dry bones

D

Deleted member

Strange thing I've found regarding Mario music in Brawl.

All of the Mario songs are listed under the "A" category except for the following:
-Chill (Dr. Mario): This is Q04, in the Retro category.
-Mario Golf/Mario Tennis: This is R05, in the Modern category.

Very strange that they aren't listed as Mario songs...

grizby2

Smash Lord
the mario series has enough reps/psudo reps already.. but i just know they'll add another one. :glare:

id like to see a Paper mario character, but one that ISN'T mario.

that, or waluigi.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
All I can say is that I believe the next main rep is Bowser Jr. and the next pseudo rep is King K Rool. But that's just me.

:phone:

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
All I can say is that I believe the next main rep is Bowser Jr. and the next pseudo rep is King K Rool. But that's just me.

:phone:
Well, I want Toad more since he's been in the series for a long long time now, I think he deserves a spot, but if it's not Toad, I think Bowser Jr. would indeed be a pretty sweet addition.

vGxVisions

Smash Cadet
I think Toad should be included as he's been in the games a lot longer than Bowser Jr. and Waluigi and his moveset could be more unique. Bowser Jr. is pretty cool but he's not an all-star really and the game is about Nintendo's all-stars and Toad would be a better fitted character if it was based on that. As for Waluigi, he's never had a role in the major series and was in more party and sport games (similar to Daisy). Also, Toad could have Toadette, Toadsworth and the two Toads from New Super Mario Bros. Wii as alternate costumes which would be cool.

jigglover

Smash Lord
If being in the series a long time matters, then Lucario and Pichu should never have got in and only pokemon from generation 1 are able to get in until they run, out then it would go to generation 2 (obviously smash would have ended before that).

vGxVisions

Smash Cadet
Pokemon have an ever-growing choice of characters to choose from and in the last game they chose Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard) and Lucario; only Lucario of them was a representative of the newest Generation and the other 5 were from the first Generation. The Mushroom Kingdom however, don't really expand their (major) character list and if they were to implement a modern day character, I think it would be Rosalina as she has appeared in the last two Mario Galaxies and Mario Karts.
They don't really need a fifth representative but they'll probably add one anyway- maybe they'll surprise us.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I hate it when people say 'Mario doesn't need another rep' or 'LoZ getting another rep is mad, we already have the triforce'. Why? This also entwines with 'lesser known series' need more representation'. That is completely and utterly mad. Mother getting 3 reps gives it more reps than DK, the 4th-best-selling Nintendo series ever, probably equal to in smash 4. DK and Mother having equal series' would not make sense, and Mother getting 3 reps in smash 5 seems :083: in itself! Now Mother getting another rep isn't because it's dead, MOTHER IS NOT DEAD, it's just badly known outside of Japan to probably 95% of casuals and a good chunk of hard-cores as well. Kid Icarus having two new representatives is also :083:, there are two series' with a large(ish) chance of getting 2 reps and they are DK and metroid. Kid Icarus has 2 games. KI:U is well-known right now, legendary game? No. Classic? No. Especially with Sakurai deciding another KI sequel is unneeded (ONM) unless another producer in Nintendo carries on the series, it'll stay a 2-game series for a long time, possibly forever. Especially since KI was, frankly, beaten by Metroid back when they were both recent, KI having more/equal reps to Metroid is illogical as well, and that is one of the reasons why I think Metroid has at least a decent chance of 2 new reps, since despite KI being a flavour of about a season, Palutena is still likely (even though I prefer pitooey). Mario doesn't need another rep is well and truly illogical, and possibly mad, especially since it was actually cut down in numbers, and is already (far) behind Pokemon and 1 rep behind LoZ. We don't want the face of nintendo fading into obscurity do we!?

D

Deleted member

DK is not the "4th Best selling series of all time".
In terms of Nintendo, it is the 5th best selling of their franchises, behind Mario, Pokemon, Wii Series, and Zelda.

In terms of games in general, it is the 20th, while Mario is still 1st, Pokemon is still 2nd, Wii Series is still 3rd, and Zelda is 14th. (Hell, Sonic is above that in 12th).

Kid Icarus also has THREE games. Of Myths and Monsters may not be canon in Uprising, due to the game originally being never released in Japan (until around Uprising's release for Virtual Console), but it still counts.
You also need to factor in that while Metroid probably "deserves" more characters, there is hardly anyone to add that is really both important and viable to the series other than Ridley. And FYI, despite being part of Samus, Zero Suit still counts a seperate character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, technically, no series needs a new rep(or a rep at all). However, I feel that before we star giving roster positions for B- and C- list Mario and Zelda characters, we should focus on series that either don't have reps or aren't adequatley represented(YMMV on which series those ar, of course).

D

Deleted member

Series shouldn't get characters for the sake of representing the series.
The characters have to have merit.

EDIT: For example, one would say F-Zero isn't adequately represented, however, we shouldn't get a bunch of characters from the series just to make it so.
However, someone like Goroh has merit otherwise to where his inclusion is justified.

Same with Metroid. Samus and another Samus doesn't do the series justice to most people. However, the only one that could really be added at this point is Ridley.

ANOTHER example would be say, Rhythm Heaven. Many people find it would be deemed "worthy" like how Sakurai deemed Pikmin and Animal Crossing in Brawl. However, there really is no one to add that makes any logical sense. Closest two would be Marshal and Karate Joe, but Marshal's only a host in the latest game based off of one of the little guys from a previous game, and Karate Joe, while appearing in all three games, is still just a minor face no one cares about.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Golden, I may have got a couple of facts wrong, but reply to the rest of it! Myths and monsters does count, unfortunately, despite being forgotten (especially by me when typing that post). DK is the 4th best selling nintendo series (gee, what a time to miss out a word) since Wii series can't count, i-it, j-just can't! Wii series has no right to exist, and unless you can find me an official quote stating the games as 'wii series' I'll believe it's fan-made, since it seems pretty likely. ZSS, I can't believe she was included (I like playing her) over some other characters, but hey, Sakurai can't please everyone... Her counting as a seperate character makes my brain hurt though, PT's pokemon counting seperate, makes sense, Zelda and Sheik apart, fair enough, S and ZSS!? Just no. They have the same name except one has zero suit at the start... Obviously it's true though.. *mumble grumble

D

Deleted member

The Wii Series is not discounted just because you don't want it to count.
Otherwise you sound just like hugebowserfan and Geno fans.

jigglover

Smash Lord
The Wii series, just doesn't sound like a proper series is all! I mean, Wii sports and Wii fit being a series? There only connection is that you both play them by controlling miis and that they are both extremely casual based. There are various other games/series' completely different to each-other with more similarities than that, the first time I heard of it was on the Mii thread on here anyway, so it's obviously not recognized as a series much! (aside from obvious things like they're both on the Wii). And no, I'm not being a Genofan, I'm trying to make it sound like I'm not one.

D

Deleted member

There are a ****ton of Mario games that don't match one another with the only correlation being that Mario and co. are in them. I guess they don't count as Mario games though, since they aren't platforming titles.

D

Deleted member

Lol at Mario being "hard-core".
Just quit while you're behind, jiggs. You make terrible arguments.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ok. I did say I'd let it lie above, I also said hard-core (as such) because the platformers are more 'hard-core' than the mario sport titles.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, quit making arguments. You make hugebowserfan look better in comparison.

Maybe they were "hard-core" in the past, back when the phrase "Nintendo Hard" meant something, but for the longest time now, Mario's been casual no matter what he does.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Series shouldn't get characters for the sake of representing the series.
The characters have to have merit.
I probably should have worded what I said a little better, but I agree with what you said here. Lots of series definatley deserve more representation, but you'd be hard-pressed to find more than one additional character that deserves to get in.

Edit: derp, meant more representation, though I do think there are a few franchises that have more characters than they deserve.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Geno's inclusion is highly unlikely though, since he is Square Enix's property, and there are better Square Enix reps out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom