• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I wouldn't like it since they're different characters, not moveset-like, but simply different characters, but I'd say it's possible. I wouldn't like much Toad himself however.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Smash could have an older character for a change...

@MASG, if it stuck with canon things like that, then Yoshi should actually be just below Sonic anyway. At least, judging by the stats in MASATL2012OG, however Yoshi is quite slow in Smash bros.. Besides, Yoshi is actually very heavy in smash, in every other game he is not. (I used Yoshi because he is out of whack in the smash world).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Toadsworth for Peach's nB isn't a half bad idea, so long as the move stays the same(i.e. get hit, spray spores). Though it wouldn't really be neccesary, since as I mentioned there are many different Toads.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Toadsworth for Peach's nB isn't a half bad idea, so long as the move stays the same(i.e. get hit, spray spores). Though it wouldn't really be neccesary, since as I mentioned there are many different Toads.
It would be the same. Not even sure why they would change it. lol

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Once upon a time I would say that Toadsworth needed to be playable. He can do everything a Toad can, plus he has a recognizable identity as a sort of "Toad Elder." There would literally be nothing he could not do that a regular Toad could. If anything, he has more options.

But I was met with the same "lol, he's too old" arguments every time, reminding me that people sometimes have trouble with rational cognition. If you don't like Toadsworth, that's fine, just don't pretend like he "can't fight because he's old," because then you put yourself into the same category as any other person who has claimed that a certain character "shouldn't/couldn't fight because he or she is x." And that's not a group you want to belong to, because the argument is dumb.

Besides that, I've come to realize that it doesn't really matter. I would welcome Toadsworth as a playable Toad, but I think regular ol' Toad would be fine to. It's just hysterical to see that there's still a sentiment that a character is too old or docile or whatever else to fight.

*not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement*

D

Deleted member

@Jigglover: Yoshi is actually quite fast.

And come to think of it, Bowser is average speed, being comparable to Mario....while Luigi is slow, comparable to Peach.
And Donkey Kong is rather fast for a heavyweight as well...being as fast as Toon Link.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If being old means you can't fight. Tell that to most of the legendary Pokemon.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Pocket Monsters =/= old people like Toadsworth

Not saying that Toadsworth can't fight. I'm saying that legendary Pokemon is a bad comparison.
I like wise characters. Gouken in SSFIV, for instance. I can see both Cranky Kong and Toadsworth in Smash.

Do you remember the old Koopa from Mario Party 7?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've checked, the Koopa Kids have been retired. Do not confuse them with the Koopalings, as the following images will make things more accurate.

[collapse=Koopa Kids]
[/collapse]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Koopa Kids could be palette swaps for Bowser Jr. since they pretty much inspired the creation of Bowser Jr.

Meh, I still want Toad. :awesome:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The Koopa Kids could be palette swaps for Bowser Jr. since they pretty much inspired the creation of Bowser Jr.

Meh, I still want Toad. :awesome:
I thought that it was the Koopalings that inspired Bowser Jr. He basically is now their leader.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last I've checked, the Koopa Kids have been retired. Do not confuse them with the Koopalings, as the following images will make things more accurate.

[collapse=Koopa Kids]
[/collapse]
We called them the Koopa Kids in the 90's because of the DiC Cartoon, and that's probably still one of their most called names

Hell I still call Ludwig Von Koopa Kooky sometimes because of it

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Weren't the koopa kids in mario party 9? I thought that they and mechakoopa's old designs were back in that game.
The mecha-koopas have a minor appearance in MP9, but AFAIK the Koopa Kids haven't been in a Mario Party game since 7, as Bowser Jr. pretty much replaced them.

jfever64

Smash Rookie
toad would be number 1 for me. Boo would be interesting, since you could justify him being either floaty, or being a heavyweight in the case of king Boo. i like paper mario, but i visualize him being too much like G&W for some reason XD

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
*taps foot*

Even though this person hasn't been discussed much, have you guys thought of Dimentio from SPM?

Yes he isn't very common in Mario games but his move set would be pretty interesting IMO.

But realistically, Waluigi would be a nice choice.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
However, you can count how many games the main Yoshi played a major role in on one hand.

The Yoshi series isn't even about him; it's about the Yoshi species as a whole. He doesn't even come in until the very end of Yoshi's Island DS, where he's revealed as the 7th Star Child.

So my point is that the "generics" have pushed Yoshi along, and they will likely do the same with Toad due to the prevalence of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad as of late.
This is perhaps the best new insight in regards to Toad (and perhaps the Mario series as a whole) I have seen in a while. The Toad character (or rather species) has been a staple to the Mario series since the beginning, and its still going strong.

Just recently Toad has:
1. Returned as a playable character in another Mario platformer.
2. Playable in the Mario Nintendoland minigame Mario Chase.
3. One of the costumes in Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition.

On the last one, its important to note that Toad is the only Nintendo costume in that game that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. (the other costumes are Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon). This really shows that Toad, despite being an auxilary Mario character, is up there in the big leagues in terms of recognition.

peeup

Smash Lord
I think Paper Mario has a lot of potential to do some really cool stuff, but I don't think he's as likely as Toad. Which is a shame because I feel like Toad would be fairly bland.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think Toad would be bland. I doubt Sakurai is going to give them completely different movesets just because there are new Mario games. I think that if Toad gets in, he might get the new moves from the new Mario games that Mario, Luigi, and Peach probably won't get.

Mario and Luigi throw fireballs so maybe Toad might throw iceballs from New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U instead. Mario and Luigi can do jump punches so maybe Toad might get the Propeller Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U instead. Peach pulls out vegetables so maybe Toad might pick up opponents like in Super Mario Bros. 2 instead. Mario and Luigi may be able to run up walls in Super Mario World but Sakurai still haven't given them that special ability so maybe he might give Toad that ability because he could do that in Wario's Woods and Mario/Luigi/Toads could do that in New Super Mario Bros. U (after they pick up a Mini Mushroom).

peeup

Smash Lord
What I think would make him most exciting to play as and most relevant to what's been coming out would be to make it a pair of toads that would play similar to Ice Climbers. That would make sense given that these new 2D Super Mario Bros. involve two toads working together. Super Mario Bros. inspired moves coupled with Ice Climber inspired play style could work for me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always pictured Toad would play a little like Jiggz or Squirtle in his regular moves. Maybe with some head spinning action in there somewhere as well, but the general playstyles could be the same. Sans for Jigglypuff's floatyness, and perhaps aerial movement. Cause I really don't see Toad as being extremely mobile in the air.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well it depends on the view as some might see Toad as being bland while others may not. I personally think he has high potential if characters like Peach have even more unique movesets than perhaps the Mario bros. themselves. It all comes down to the innovation of the character.

Giving Toad power-ups and moves from the NSMB series is not far-fetched considering that he is playable in those games and none of the moves have yet to be represented in the Smash Bros. series as of yet, and imo I think these moves would work well with the Smash Bros. series.

Also there's plenty of elements remaining in games such as SMB2. Pow Block anyone? Magic Potion? Magic Carpet? The possibilities are endless. Let's not forget Toad's general character of being an anthropomorphic mushroom (a trait alone which could guarantee Toad his own moveset). Also Toad's roles of being a NPC in some Super Mario games could relate to his role as the item provider as Toad is generally attributed to items as well.

This is just what I think though. XD

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I just want TWO new Mario Characters: Bowser Jr. & Paper Mario. That's it.

Sorry Toad Fans, I don't want to disappoint you, but I don't want Toad to be a character. It's just because of various reasons, the biggest being that he is ALREADY A technique from Peach. Also, I don't find him to be that kind of a character used for fighting (Despite the fact he is Strong in SMB2)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh Lord, the Magic Carpet... Pow Block was a given, but that thing... Funny how your username is Propeller Toad though, seeing as the Magic Carpet would probably only work as a Up B, which then again cannot be the Propeller Cap. If Wario gets a new Side B, why not give Toad the kart from Mario Kart? His Final Smash obviously should be related to Mushrooms. Maybe make himself a Giant version while the others become Tiny? It's very simple to think of a moveset for him, but that doesn't mean he'd be bland. I also can far too easily picture him doing Kirby's Brawl dash attack.

For me it's between Toad and Paper Mario, though Bowser Jr would also be cool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OMG! When Toad double jumps, can Toad "float" like Peach with the Magic Carpet? That way, we can have both Magic Carpet and Propeller Mushroom! :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Waluigi does have this weird edge in popularity, being the sort of 'underdog' and all. Then again, it's nothing compared to Toad's, literally living in Mario and even Luigi's shadows for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom