• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy 2

Frown

poekmon
Some trivia from the development of Galaxy 2!

- Koichi Hayashida acted as the director, was his first large-scale project
- Yoshiaki Koizumi (directed the original) served as the producer
- Takeshi Hayakawa was the lead programmer again, Kenta Motokura was the the lead designer
- Right after the development of Galaxy 1, Miyamoto told the team they should make another game because the basic systems were already created; Iwata said this was similar to Majora’s Mask following Ocarina of Time
- The team wasn’t entirely eager to start the project; A “reflection meeting” was held about the original, Koizumi wanted people to focus on positive things at the meeting
- After the meeting, Koizumi suggested Mario Galaxy 1.5 to Miyamoto (using same sphere forms and adding new things here and there)
- Among the staff, Galaxy 2 was also called “Motto Super Mario Galaxy,” or “More Super Mario Galaxy” in addition to Galaxy 1.5
- At first, Hayashida and Motokura felt they wouldn’t have any ideas for the sequel because all of their ideas were used in the original

- Yoshi’s inclusion was decided early on; He was going to be in the original (see image above), but the developers believed there were many elements in the game already; Additionally, he would have only been in one level
- Hayashida felt more positive after Yoshi was decided on
- Yoshi’s ability to eat objects by pointing the Wiimote was also an early decision, though his pulling ability came later; Miyamoto believed it’d add charm to the game; It was originally going to be used in one area in Galaxy 2, but it was later decided that it would become a natural ability in all stages and Yoshi was then able to defeat enemies
- Many people’s ideas were combined to make Yoshi better; Some even believed Mario shouldn’t ride Yoshi
- Yoshi’s sounds were re-recorded by Kazumi Totaka, first time in ten years
- Starship Mario put in the game midway through development; Came from a design document made by Koizumi five years prior; He wanted a Mario face planet in the original
- “Switching” idea was more ambitious originally: Push a switch, world will change drastically; Was very difficult to implement as it would need to match up with everything else in the game; Developers knew it’d be difficult based on Majora’s Mask Three Day System
- Elements from “switching” are in the game with the red/blue panels, switches to slow the world, and blocks switching periodically
- Miyamoto was interested in having Mario go through holes and emerge on the other side of a world in Galaxy 1; Drill power-up came from the idea that it is necessary to fully take advantage of spheres; Two months of testing used to find out ways to make the drill interesting for gameplay
- Many developers, including visual/sound designers, had level ideas
- Tools were created so that staff could make their own levels without programmers; Could make their own stage, put enemies where they want, etc.
- Designer created the Rolling Pillar Stage in one week, which is used in the game (with some changes)
- Hayashida received daily level requests for 2.5 years; Iwata thinks this contributed to the amount of gameplay elements in Galaxy 2

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
wikipedia said:
Game Informer gave the game a 9.25 out of 10, praising the gameplay and production of the game but criticizing the difficulty in collecting some stars and having to collect Prankster Comet or Hidden Stars to advance in the story.
I knew this was going to happen. Congratulations Game Informer, this is the second Wii game you scored lower because it was difficult to complete. =/

Yaya

Smash Champion
I knew this was going to happen. Congratulations Game Informer, this is the second Wii game you scored lower because it was difficult to complete. =/
Lol, this is why I don't buy gaming magazines.

What was the first? Corruption?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The first was Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Gamespot also rated that game lower because it was too hard. XD

Yaya

Smash Champion
The first was Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Gamespot also rated that game lower because it was too hard. XD
"WTF, THE GUYS STAY DEAD? THAT'S BS!"

Somethin' along the lines of that?

Anyways, I'm hyped so much right now for this game, it's gonna be awesome.

Legend_Of_Wii

Smash Rookie
I have Super Mario Galaxy, it's the most epic Mario game I ever played. =)
I have beaten all of it including Luigi's (Luigi is so much fun to play as. XD ) but my sis didn't beat all of it. DX

Me and my sis are waiting for Super Mario Galaxy 2 to come out. Can't wait! =D

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So to check, is Luigi playable in all levels after 20 stars or just certain ones in which you switch in with him?

UberMario

Smash Master
So to check, is Luigi playable in all levels after 20 stars or just certain ones in which you switch in with him?
I'm pretty sure it's the former, because I don't see why they'd develop him for use with only 20 specific stars.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Oh dear, Spring Mario is back. Time for me to lose 10 lives in one stage. >.< ♥

UberMario

Smash Master
Mission Control: "Got something . . . . . de javu"

LOL

And I wonder what Luigi is doing there.

UberMario

Smash Master
ZOMG they dumped Super Mario Galaxy from continuity entirely. +_+
(So does that mean Mario Kart Wii never existed too?)

It's the same plot reconfigured.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I think Luigi is no longer playable in the outerworld hub since it says you can only play as him in levels where you find them, and once he does a level i think your back to Mario in the outerworld again. The game doesn't even credit Luigi getting the star :p

...Shame >_<. But still, no big really.

eman

Smash Apprentice
It amazes me that Nintendo still makes epic Mario games, why doesn't Bowser ever die? Hopefully this Galaxy will be as good as the first! I'd assume they'd stop with any more Mario campaign games after this one.

UberMario

Smash Master
dude. there is no continuity. It's god **** Mario.
I know, but this is the first time a Mario-game made directly by Nintendo was basically completely "proven" not to exist in a "logical" way. No other non-remake game tried to replace another in this series directly.

Hmmm...it seems the game has been leaked...De ja vu
It's only three (well four when the videos came out) days before the launch, many of the distributors have it already. (And quite a few of them break street code)

§leepy God

Smash Master
I figured it is about time for a gameplay leak. :p

I got spoiled in the beginning of the video, I won't watch the rest for many reason. Just about three more days for the US release.

Djent

Smash Champion
I have three more days to get the maximum coin score in 9 of the 42 galaxies in the original. I'm going to be close, but it's doubtful that it'll happen.

I need to master the OOB in Deep Dark Galaxy for that displaced coin crate...ugh. :(

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So I think Luigi is no longer playable in the outerworld hub since it says you can only play as him in levels where you find them, and once he does a level i think your back to Mario in the outerworld again. The game doesn't even credit Luigi getting the star :p

...Shame >_<. But still, no big really.
They got rid of the hub completely. You choose the levels rather than walking around pointlessly to access them.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Oh really? Hmm, guess it's sorta like NMH 2 then by removing the hub.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
The funny thing is, I was expecting a lower score because Matt and Bozon left, and well, they were a lot less biased than the other IGN editors (lol greg miller). I was expecting a 9 at the least, but a 10? And not only a 10 overall, but a 10 in every single aspect of the game? That's just incredible.

I'm getting this game. Immediately.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The funny thing is, I was expecting a lower score because Matt and Bozon left, and well, they were a lot less biased than the other IGN editors (lol greg miller). I was expecting a 9 at the least, but a 10? And not only a 10 overall, but a 10 in every single aspect of the game? That's just incredible.
I was thinking the same thing. XD

Best game this year? I think so. Best game this gen? We shall soon see.

UberMario

Smash Master
I was surprised about this. But the game looks great. I looked at the video review and there really wasn't anything that I saw that I didn't like.
With the re-done plot I'm suprised too. This game must be really great then for it to have so much praise, I've got to get it. :bee:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
SMG2 has the potential to be the best game this year. Many people thought the original was the best game this gen for a long time. From the looks of it, this game is even better then the first.

1st day buy for sure.

Famous

Smash Champion
Is anyone besides me actually playing the game right now? It's been "leaked" 4 days ago btw...Go look if your impatient

Djent

Smash Champion
Original SMG Coin Hiscores - Last Minute Rush!!

Maxed the coin hiscore in Matter Splatter (14) and King Kaliente's Spicy Return (42) today. At the moment, I'm still missing:

Freezeflame 115 (-1 meh)
Deep Dark 109 (-2 meh)
Gusty Garden 81 (-5 hmm)
Sling Pod 23 (-11 ugh)
Battlerock 58 (-16 ffs)
Junior's Airships 38 (-16 :()
Dreadnought 72 (-41 gaah)

There's no way I'll be maxing by Saturday night, so I'm just going to take care of Freezeflame and Deep Dark. I'll leave the five levels with cannonball coins (seriously, **** those things) for a later date.

Am I the only person crazy enough to worry about this stuff? :psycho:

Top Bottom