• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
dont be a dummy

So I was looking at the dates for apex, I am definatly going, I just finished registering. If you are interested in going I advice you to check your schedules and plan accordingly price goes up may 30 which means you like 20 days to make 55 dollars and register if you want to enter both teams and singles. I know george is interested, I am going to drive down there the more people who come the merryier. The first four who register and actually tell me, not post randomly on here but actually contact me via privet message email face book, in person, on the phone by text, are guarenteed a ride with me. If you do decide to go after you take care of your registration I advice you to save money as you will need it for gas housing (probably) and food. I hope some people man up and dont make a bunch of johns it's going to be a sick tournament

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'll most likely be there... cause it's a short drive from my house haha

I'll try to convince my parents about housing.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, Kirk, being Terran, I have a feeling this is how you would play TvP--just cheapness and dirtiness all around. :p

Also, that lockdown and mindcontrol were too good.

Also, Andrew, sorry about not being able to hang out this weekend. And I heard through the grapevine that you've gotten better at Smash. Good ****. Perhaps when you make your second trip up here this Summer we can play.

Also, my bro asked me to babysit Isabella tomorrow, and this will no doubt entail having to change her diapers. 0__0

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Hey I am having trouble with getting my **** character to move in flash

I'm new to this, honestly I have no idea what is going on, and I need some help.

im starting my coding in my fla file with "import Keniton.as"

and all my keyboard event listeners are within my external "Keniton.as" file

But, when I go to test it, i get a syntax error that says, "expecting identifier before as"

hoping someone here knows actionscript 3.0

Also, I tried google, it was no help lol
Any reason you can't just put the event listeners on the timeline? Unless you're working with a really big project, that should be simpler.

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
skylar,

my friend was getting rid of a gamecube so i got it for you since one of yours has a faulty input.
thank me later :)

a.c.

ps i dunno why i went for a letter format, but cry about it?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
DJ when is Apex?
Link me to the tournament and give me some details about this drive. I need to know how much $ you plan to spend on gas (round trip/mpg x $2.85 a gallon), then split however many ways

_kSo_

Smash Master
You just didn't try hard enough. Take a look at this link. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1083679
thanks, I'll take a look at this.

Any reason you can't just put the event listeners on the timeline? Unless you're working with a really big project, that should be simpler.
It doesn't seem to accept the event listeners directly in the timeline for some reason, but there is no error, the keyboard inputs just don't give me a response.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
So since the semester is over for the Purdue students and this brings down a small downer to the whole Smash community of Purdue. I have been talking about trying to get some smash stuff going over the break.

I know that George and Deeznutz has mentioned in the past about hosting, and I extend my offer out as well to you guys. I'd like to say that I have a pretty decent amount of room at my place, and I might have a possible chance to get a venue to use as well to get tournaments going.

So I am extending an offer out for possible tournaments at my place as well as Smashfests. I know some of you might complain about the distance that I live from Purdue campus, but honestly there is a bus route that stops at both entrances of my neighbor hood.

If any question or concerns, please state them. On other terms, if I end up housing people this summer, you need to deal with Goose's family that decided not to go back home with him. They like to stay up all night playing in the pond in my backyard.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
DJ when is Apex?
Link me to the tournament and give me some details about this drive. I need to know how much $ you plan to spend on gas (round trip/mpg x $2.85 a gallon), then split however many ways
1. u cant get an exact number before the tournament happens, but u can round it pretty close. but ur weird for saying that.

2. money to drive costs more than gas. Every mile you put on his car means more maintenance, especially for long drives. You can't really predict how much this costs, but its worth saying. money to drive costs more than gas.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
1. u cant get an exact number before the tournament happens, but u can round it pretty close. but ur weird for saying that.

2. money to drive costs more than gas. Every mile you put on his car means more maintenance, especially for long drives. You can't really predict how much this costs, but its worth saying. money to drive costs more than gas.
wut
If I have to help fix his car if it breaks down because I'm in it then I'm never getting in DJ's car ever again
LOL
that's ****ing ********

_kSo_

Smash Master
wut
If I have to help fix his car if it breaks down because I'm in it then I'm never getting in DJ's car ever again
LOL
that's ****ing ********
that's not what he's saying, he is simply stating that he cannot give you an exact pricing on what it would cost to carpool with him/DJ. The trip length also depends on how many times you stop for foods and whatnot. Basically, bring more than you think you will need, and you should be fine, and I'm sure george said he'll give you an estimate of how much the trip will cost per person.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, ya, those dumb birds need to shut the F up in the morning.

Also, I believe the rule of thumb with the whole gas thing is to calculate $.10 per mile for basic wear and tear on the vehicle. And for "carpooling etiquette," I was always told that if there were more than like three passengers, they should all split the cost of gas between them in order to compensate for that wear and tear. Heh, but then again, these were just random things my dad told me a long time ago.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
wut
LOL
that's ****ing ********
dude you fail at reading comprehension. way to post like a VOORHEESE. luckily matt and alan explained it to your noob ***

as an example, dj is putting 4 new tires on his car. thats at least $150 bucks. Thats because alot of wear and tear from long trips thats hes taken with me and other people, going to tournaments, festivals, etc. when i give dj gas money, part of it is for stuff like that.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Warning: joonz

So it looks like Matt and I will be heading down this weekend for good old-fashioned shenanigans. Good thing I don't intend to start anything with Walgreens or whatever this week (plus, I checked what went on last summer, and the internship didn't actually start until like May 20). So yeah, should be fun times.

Regarding the first S3BO, George has been telling me that he probably won't be able to make it were it on Saturday, so would you guys be opposed to having it on Sunday or what? Also, Adam, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you said that you could provide the venue for this one at your place, right?

kirkq

Smash Ace
I can be there either day. I can also drive people living in town if that is an issue for anyone.

It seems I'll be in town doing research all summer at this point, but there is still a small chance an internship comes through in the next ~1 week.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Ohhh man! The Qoobs is most likely going to be in town for the Summer! Kirk, I challenge you. Why am I putting myself through all of this? I don't really know.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
The case of Luke v. Purdue

Tomacawk]DJ when is Apex? [SIZE="4 said:
Link me to the tournament and give me some details about this drive. I need to know how much $ you plan to spend on gas (round trip/mpg x $2.85 a gallon), then split however many ways[/SIZE] [insinuating an estimate, especially since if you interpret it as a static quota then you'd realize you can't rationalize agreeing on 2.85, a random number. Notice also that I said "give me some details about this drive", meaning what are the DETAILS of the drive, which includes things like distance, time, music choices, smoking ability, money involved
explaining what Luke already knows

Here's George, again telling me what I already know just as Alan did.

wut
LOL
that's ****ing ********
My statement after trying to figure out why you guys were telling me things that did not match up with my first question

The *same* bull**** everybody has been saying that I already know

dude you fail at reading comprehension. way to post like a VOORHEESE. luckily matt and alan explained it to your noob ***
And here's George insulting me for no reason other than an ambiguous detail.

Sorry Luke, but I am a big dumb idiot
Now you're speaking my language.

hahahaha I dunno but I laft when I saw anthony post this in the title...
I did too lol

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
massive johns and over reaction
yeah this basically

But seriously.

wut
LOL
that's ****ing ********
This is ********. I never said anything that remotely insinuated that. All I am trying to say is that getting a ride costs more than gas money, for maintenance costs. And while we are on the subject, you SHOULD help fix someones car if they are giving you a ride, especially across the country. What are you going to do, sit inside in the air conditioning and *****? No, you are gonna help out.

Anthony, DJ has said we can host s3b0 at the frat. I would prefer it Sunday cuz then I could make it, if we start around 2.

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
Ill be around this weekend, i work friday but i can into trouble with ya guys on saturday.
On the note of apex luke i dont have the link conveniant its on the tournament listing page. its 55 right now and its like august 6-8. If you ride with me you will be paying for gas. My car will probably make it on a tank and a half. Ideally it will be split 4 ways

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
freaking APEX takes $30 for the door fee.
are you kidding me?

i read the guy's post insisting/convincing (really BAD) like
'hey, Europians are coming, too'

more like "I just need money, I don't know where can I/how to earn, so I need you guys to give me some money"

let's say 100 people entre it.
$30 * 100 = $ 3,000

what kind of a venue would need that much money to rent?
he will take the HUGE portion of the door fees.

I ain't filling his fat tummy up for nothing.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
venues are actually really expensive, especially over several days. as a TO of a huge tournament, especially one that has people coming from other countries, you generally also have to ensure that other things are provided at the venue, such as chairs, tables, tvs, power strips, food, a speaker system, etc. if you don't have many of these on hand, you also have to rent them, which is more money.

i know for a fact that alex strife (the main TO) is also doing raffles and helping pay for out of region/country players to come. the raffle prizes are literally coming out of his own pocket.
running an event this big also means taking out of days for work.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
venues are actually really expensive, especially over several days. as a TO of a huge tournament, especially one that has people coming from other countries, you generally also have to ensure that other things are provided at the venue, such as chairs, tables, tvs, power strips, food, a speaker system, etc. if you don't have many of these on hand, you also have to rent them, which is more money.

i know for a fact that alex strife (the main TO) is also doing raffles and helping pay for out of region/country players to come. the raffle prizes are literally coming out of his own pocket.
running an event this big also means taking out of days for work.
i know they are expensive.
I got few rental info about rock/metal concert venue rentals.
it shoulnd't be at few thousands dollar range, though.
rock/metal concert stage rental may hit up to $5,000 even for local stage
Stage, Speaker, Set ups, Engineers, etc
But only the place? i doubt it.

and you have a point of other amenities - chairs, tables, etc.

it looked like food is individual's purchase,
and TV+Set up will reduce the door fee...
there will be people bringing things.

So, assuming no one brings anything, yeah the rental fee would be ridiculously expensive.
but, in fact, you will have to consider so many variables of chances happening.
Then, it wouldn't be TOO BAD.

Well, as a TO who is trying to deal with such a huge issue/event, he HAS TO BE responsible for what he's saying.
He cannot just do 'oh, i don't have enough money. sorry guys, bye'

so if he doesn't get enough people, he better cover the rest of the rentals by himself,

my point is that, he is just calling wayyy too much price for his 'safe pin' >_>

unless he meets the shortage of people, prize will be split of the pot created, right?
that means... left over door fee goes into his pocket.
ha. economy.

and, you know what,
if you can attract with 100 people with $30, while you can attract 200 people with $20..
it is more beneficial to set the door fee as $20.

IF he really wants to make APEX, VERY VERY successful
he needs more effort such as
- analyze the statistics of people with door fee
- make sure who will bring what for sure,
- be sure and announce what is provided to people, and what is not
- etc

for any kind of event, people need a godd*mn solid plans, especially when it involves a lot of money for individual people.

so yeah.
i quit going to an acutal tourney since i left purdue.
BUT, even if i am in to this game as i used to, and still willing to go to tourneys...

I wouldn't go to something this expensive.
well, i am not saying
'HEY, i am not going, so you should not go as well'

if you want to go, and if you think it is meaningful to you, go ahead.

i am just saying, be wise.

it would be a mindset difference...
but I know i will get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd pool for 40 or 45 dollar + transportation + food. Thenn...
Great. I lost all those money for first few rounds, not enough fun;
i lost the game, lost the money, I cannot go back yet because i need to wait for the crew i came with to finish, hence i will be wasting more money and time here.

Anthony, never charged anyone for his tourney as a TO.
he maybe did once or twice for the JAB (big tourneys, due to venue rental, but never for his own good)

just for you information.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Ill be around this weekend, i work friday but i can into trouble with ya guys on saturday.
On the note of apex luke i dont have the link conveniant its on the tournament listing page. its 55 right now and its like august 6-8. If you ride with me you will be paying for gas. My car will probably make it on a tank and a half. Ideally it will be split 4 ways
sounds good Deej. I'll probably text you about it in a few weeks when I can figure out if I want to spend the $ on it

BunBun

Smash Master
Maus, we didn't run nationals. For tourneys like apex and pound, costs can easily exceed 5k after you factor in shuttles, OoC people invited and flight paid for as special guests, venue insurance, pot bonus, electricity overage fees, internet costs, etc.

30 bucks is kind of expected.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Maus, we didn't run nationals. For tourneys like apex and pound, costs can easily exceed 5k after you factor in shuttles, OoC people invited and flight paid for as special guests, venue insurance, pot bonus, electricity overage fees, internet costs, etc.

30 bucks is kind of expected.
my point of talking about anthony is that,

don't shoot for obvious personal benifit...
well, you can, but it would not make some people happy; me, obviously.

i couldn't find a venue, but at least, i was thinking about hosting a smash tourney in GT.
Venues weren't too cheap.
I also have thought of charging people for door fee to the point where I can get benefit.

some people were complaining about too much door fee.
venues were few hundreds - which means, setting door fee as 10, and stil need tens of people to come in order to not make a loss in money for myself.
(if venue was rent by on-campus community such as groups and Frats, it was 200~400, if rent by non-involved people, 400~800)
(which is pretty dumb for a single day use of the room WHEN others don't even use)

Then, people started complaining
'why is door fee so expensive for local tourney?'

Local and National tourneys.... are still tournaments, they are only different in size.
The same Principle has to be applied, at least, I think so.

I thought, for such a huge venue,
venue insurance, electricity, internet and those basic amenities were included.

if TO is getting a public transportation for the out-of-state or at least out-of-country,
it is kinda understandable.

but, not everyone will be at the spot at the same time. >_>
Therefore.. it is more convinient for each individuals or groups to get their own transportation.

and maybe, smash people are genenrous with money or.... maybe ignorant with money...
I am not a big fan of lending or providing money to someone who I don't even know.
I can 'help' dying kids or people who are in some serious medical issue but without money, but not when the people are wealthy enough to purchase such thing.

well, it looks like I am the only picky one here, who isn't even going to the tourney.

also, I've mentioned in previous post,
I am not stopping you from going or anything.
I am just not happy with that guy's attitude.

If you are to convince people, you should talk more nicely.
not like
'hey, he is coming, too. why aren't you coming?'
'be a man and just pay'
etc

i wouldn't be b*tching like this if it was under $5 or anything.
but for travellers
just by going there will take few hundred dollars.
Does he really have to be that arrogant for some people spending few hundred dollars for that tourney?

I am just not happy with how some people talk.
or they make me unhappy. same same.

AGAIN,
if you think $30 is reasonable amount for a doorfee + transportation.
well, have fun, what more can i say? lol

I am out of this conversation after this post.
so all of you who are going, good luck ~_~

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
I like smash enough to pay for such a thing ive spent 30 on plenty of stupider things. 30 isnt an outragous amount of money by any means, and i dont think he is doing it for personal gain.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
so basically your main gripes are
1) as a TO running a transcontinental tournament, instead of expecting a huge tournament with several hundred people showing and therefore providing himself a good safe net of a $30 door fee, he should assume people aren't going to come and cover the costs of equipment out of his own pocket so he's guaranteed a net loss?
2) he's providing transportation for people, but MAN THAT'S UNNECESSARY THEY SHOULD PROVIDE THEIR OWN

i don't get it maus lol
and this isn't like using a school venue that you can book like gt
he's using a school but he doesn't go to it, lol.

ya plus the door fee is for SEVERAL DAYS instead of just 1 day for a few hours. 30 is very reasonable.

Top Bottom