• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros 3DS Reviews

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Speaking of the Escapist, I wonder how long it will be before everyone's "favorite" snarky video game critic from down under will make a video review for Super Smash Bros 4. I can already see Yahtzee ***** about the 3DS controls, some of the character selections, and of course online mode at the bare minimum. Last time he reviewed a smash bros game...let's just say sparks flew and Yahtzee got lots and lots of hate mail after that! :rolleyes:
Yahtzee isn't even a real reviewer, it's satire that he does.

Sure, some of his opinions are genuine, but the videos aren't reviews, it's just him swearing a whole lot in an attempt to be funny. I don't understand why anyone takes him seriously, it's quite obvious that he does what he does to garner attention, because he knows people will watch his stuff regardless of how hateful he is.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
IGN has officially crossed the line. Get your mods ready people, it's rage time. :laugh:
But seriously, really? This is worse than IGN rating Kirby Triple Deluxe a 6/10. This is why I don't listen to IGN reviews.
Triple Deluxe 6/10?

Yeah no, I'm done listening to them.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189

Sure, some of his opinions are genuine, but the videos aren't reviews, it's just him swearing a whole lot in an attempt to be funny. I don't understand why anyone takes him seriously, it's quite obvious that he does what he does to garner attention, because he knows people will watch his stuff regardless of how hateful he is.
I don't know about everyone else but I personally don't take him seriously because I know it's just satire. He's still funny though and he does bring up some good points with some of his stuff.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

Yahtzee's not a reviewer. He's a critic. He even brought that up in his response to Brawl video. And when he says that he doesn't give number scores is one of my personal favorite quotes from him.
"You like numbers? How about a Four, as in 'Four-k you!'"
...... Hope that's not considered censor dodging.

RNH

Smash Cadet
The metascore is at 86, but will go up as they add the euro scores.

Eurogamer ITL, PT, and ESP all gave it a 9

IGN Italia gave it a 9.1

My final guess is 87 when its all said and done.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yahtzee's not a reviewer. He's a critic. He even brought that up in his response to Brawl video. And when he says that he doesn't give number scores is one of my personal favorite quotes from him.
"You like numbers? How about a Four, as in 'Four-k you!'"
...... Hope that's not considered censor dodging.
I wasn't calling him a reviewer as such (the term "reviewer" is kind of vague really), but I certainly don't consider him a critic either. There are more than a few of his videos I've seen where, if I were to assume he was making a genuine "observation", my response is "...really?".

Yahtzee is a rare case in that I can't tell if he WANTS to be taken seriously or not, but I assume he doesn't just so his content doesn't bother me, since interpreting his stuff as pure satire and nothing more makes it largely inoffensive in my eyes, even if not particularly funny (he was funny at first but he's been doing the exact same, shallow thing for years now so I don't find it funny anymore).

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Added more reviews. I'll go and pick our pro's and con's for each of them as well as adding more reviews from Metacritic. However, by skimming most of them I can tell they complain about the same things.

But that 7/10 from Eurogamer? Ridiculous.

Also I am PRETTY Sure GamesRadar editted their review. Anyone know why they would do so?

Last edited:

RNH

Smash Cadet
Added more reviews. I'll go and pick our pro's and con's for each of them as well as adding more reviews from Metacritic. However, by skimming most of them I can tell they complain about the same things.

But that 7/10 from Eurogamer? Ridiculous.

Also I am PRETTY Sure GamesRadar editted their review. Anyone know why they would do so?
Clickbait lol, I saw it too, it was 4/5 and they changed it.

No One likes gamesradar tho, they are like Kotaku.

My favorite is gameinformer.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
God IGN sucks. Why take off points for Smash Run? Plus having a small screen is a hardware problem, not a problem from the game. I'm sure the Wii U version will get a much higher score, but I'm just mad that they gave Sm4sh 3ds a 8.8 and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks a 9.3

Also for lag and stuff, the reviewers were using Japanese Servers.
Smash 4 for 3DS was made for the 3DS so if the small screen causes a reviewer to have issues playing - it's both a hardware and a software problem....it's not like he can choose to play Smash 4 for 3DS on his PC or something...

And what does LoZ: ST have to do with this? It wasn't reviewed by the same person...

tttt

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 for 3DS was made for the 3DS so if the small screen causes a reviewer to have issues playing - it's both a hardware and a software problem....it's not like he can choose to play Smash 4 for 3DS on his PC or something...

And what does LoZ: ST have to do with this? It wasn't reviewed by the same person...
Eh I agree with you on the second part, I just didn't care for Spirit Tracks, but it wasn't reviewed by the same person so really it made no sense to compare them.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I stopped listening when they gave The Wonderful 101 an 7.4
How is that a bad score?

Do they need to rate every game higher than an 8 or a 9 to be considered good reviewers? They don't need to cater to your taste and opinions, they should be honest with their own and express them.

I mean, don't get me wrong, IGN has made some pretty crap reviews before (like when they complained about the lack of Miis in Fire Emblem Wii), but come on.

Last edited:

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Oh god this is gonna be like when that person got death threats or giving GTA5 a 9.8 or 9.5 or something along those lines.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Oh god this is gonna be like when that person got death threats or giving GTA5 a 9.8 or 9.5 or something along those lines.
The sad thing is people's complaints for Smash 3DS are legitimate and not BS.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Im liking smash 4 more and more. In my opinion there are just 3 things that keep me from praising it as much as most people do. If it had these 3 things I would probably say something like "This could be as good as PM and everyone who likes Melee should really try this, it could definitely be competitive and have very entertaining tournaments." The 3 things are actual dash-dancing, momentum from dash to jump and the removal of the 60 frame grab-whiff. Those are the only 3 things missing which are preventing Sm4sh from being absolutely amazing imo.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
The sad thing is people's complaints for Smash 3DS are legitimate and not BS.
Eh, I wouldn't call them 'legitimate'. It would've made more since to take off points for some local play lag rather than Smash Run IMO.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
The reviewers are a bigger disappointment then the games themselves. I came out expecting 9-10/10s most reviews give it a respectable score. You can tell who are the Cod fans trying to make a quick $ off of a review.

IGN really a con is smash run..

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
The reviewers are a bigger disappointment then the games themselves. I came out expecting 9-10/10s most reviews give it a respectable score. You can tell who are the Cod fans trying to make a quick $ off of a review.

IGN really a con is smash run..
Eh, I wouldn't call them 'legitimate'. It would've made more since to take off points for some local play lag rather than Smash Run IMO.
Eh, I think IGN's complaint is legitimate. If there isn't interaction in multiplayer Smash Run then I can see why it could feel like time trials. Part of the fun in Kirby Air Ride was messing up someone's day when it comes to stealing items or destroying vehicles.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
What has happened when 7 and 8 aren't considered good anymore? Why must every game get a 9-10?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
What has happened when 7 and 8 aren't considered good anymore? Why must every game get a 9-10?
7 and 8 is good, but for a game like Smash people we're expecting more. Plus, for advertising purposes, it looks bad.

This is not the second coming of Jesus, guys. There will be complaints.

Save the rapture for the Wii U version

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
IGN's review, I find, is one of the most fair for the game. Of course all reviews are just opinions though. I can see the WiiU version getting 9.5s and 10s as long as no other problems pop up.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
IGN has officially crossed the line. Get your mods ready people, it's rage time. :laugh:
But seriously, really? This is worse than IGN rating Kirby Triple Deluxe a 6/10. This is why I don't listen to IGN reviews.
IGN hate Kirby for whatever reason. Triple Deluxe was a fantastic game so I was stunned. I don't ever go to them for Kirby reviews EVER. Few review sites tend to do the franchise justice. I remember reading a review (don't remember if it was them or gamespot) Where they incorrectly stated the number of modes in KSSU and said Revenge of Metaknight was a mode were you can play as MK and I was flabbergasted by the inaccuracies. They hadn't even played it really. I say trust the fans on games like Kirby. We can usually assess them better and compare them to past entries to figure out where they stand in the franchise. Much more helpful than running to online reviews by big sites.

NuthingDude

Smash Cadet
IGN: 8.8/10
"Smash Bros 3DS makes a successful leap to a portable form with few losses in transition."
Pro's
- Easy controls
- Great modes
- Lots of unlockables

Con's
- Tiny 4-player characters
- Smash Run mode
If you look at the pro's and con's you really think they didn't even play the game.
And smash run a con? I wonder why they gave Kirby Airride a 5.5?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
To be honest. it does look like it lags quite a bit more than wanted. Maximillians not really a critic, but I can see where he's coming from in this video:
Then again, this is the 3DS Version. Only so much can be done on a handheld wirelessly. Imagine the Wii U version :D
I've heard that Kid Icarus Uprising's online play was flawless. If Smash 3DS has problems online, then that is a let down.

At least the Wii U Version won't have problems online!....right?

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
We'll see how well online does once the game is the hands of the public and not just reviewers playing mostly against people from Japan.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I've heard that Kid Icarus Uprising's online play was flawless. If Smash 3DS has problems online, then that is a let down.

At least the Wii U Version won't have problems online!....right?
Patches could come out to improve the online, but even if Kid Icarus online was flawless, it doesn't compare to the complexity of coding that Smash has.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Eh, I think IGN's complaint is legitimate. If there is only one player allowed per world in multiplayer Smash Run then I can see why it could feel like time trials. Part of the fun in Kirby Air Ride was messing up someone's day when it comes to stealing items or destroying vehicles.
In Smash Run you and your oppenents are in the same world.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
In Smash Run you and your oppenents are in the same world.
Except you cannot interact with each other directly, that's a legitimate point they brought up. I believe Josh Thomas of the BitBlock also made this complaint in his Smash Run video.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Not that I'm putting my tin foil hat on, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're giving the DS version an 8.5 just so they can give the Wii version a 9.5

Top Bottom