• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
People are morons. You'd be very surprised by how people can screw up simple things like common sense.
I wonder how many terrible games have been made because designers thought "I'm sure people are smart enough to figure this out without any subtle hints or sense of direction at all ever."

Or something. Anyhow there's no real gain in doing away with forced team colors so why bother.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd just like to see team colors as an option. Tournaments turn friendly fire on so the game might as well just allow it.

But yes, nothing irritates me more when you have nothing to go by when it comes to figuring out what you need to do to advance in the game.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how many terrible games have been made because designers thought "I'm sure people are smart enough to figure this out without any subtle hints or sense of direction at all ever."

Or something. Anyhow there's no real gain in doing away with forced team colors so why bother.
I'd just like to see team colors as an option. Tournaments turn friendly fire on so the game might as well just allow it.

But yes, nothing irritates me more when you have nothing to go by when it comes to figuring out what you need to do to advance in the game.
You kidding? I hate it when games blatantly tell you what to do, or make the solutions to puzzles too damn obvious, or interrupt the game to tell you how to do ****.

Legend of Zelda I'm looking at you, ESPECIALLY YOU Squidward Sword

Or how about those stupid FOLLOW arrows in the already LINEAR-AS-**** FPS games like CoD and Battlefield 3.

Whatever happened to intuitive game design?

MEGAMAN MEGAMAN, YOU NEED TO JUMP OVER THAT GAP
Well Noooooooo ****ing ****!!

I think everyone here needs to have a look at Egoraptor's Sequelitis if they haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

I may not always agree with Ego, but he's on the money with this series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You kidding? I hate it when games blatantly tell you what to do, or make the solutions to puzzles too damn obvious, or interrupt the game to tell you how to do ****.
But at the same time, telling you absolutely nothing is just as worse. It's that feeling when you're playing a game and have absolutely no idea on where to go or what to do. It get's kind of jarring spending hours just to figure out some very far fetched puzzle without anything to clue you in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Legend of Zelda I'm looking at you, ESPECIALLY YOU Squidward Sword

Or how about those stupid FOLLOW arrows in the already LINEAR-AS-**** FPS games like CoD and Battlefield 3.

Whatever happened to intuitive game design?

Well Noooooooo ****ing ****!!

I think everyone here needs to have a look at Egoraptor's Sequelitis if they haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

I may not always agree with Ego, but he's on the money with this series.
Actually, I agree with you. My concern is when there is no subtle hint or some intuitive design that facilitates figuring it out. I don't need it spelled out, just something to go off by. It'd be like playing Proffessor Layton without the puzzle's context. You'd be completely lost.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

But at the same time, telling you absolutely nothing is just as worse. It's that feeling when you're playing a game and have absolutely no idea on where to go or what to do. It get's kind of jarring spending hours just to figure out some very far fetched puzzle without anything to clue you in.
Actually, I agree with you. My concern is when there is no subtle hint or some intuitive design that facilitates figuring it out. I don't need it spelled out, just something to go off by. It'd be like playing Proffessor Layton without the puzzle's context. You'd be completely lost.

Oh yeah, that I agree on, but I feel the latter is worse as it's too common these days. Game design is all about telling the players how to play your game without telling them.

Look at DKC1, friggin BRILLIANT game design. Everything is set up at JUST the right spot. I really do wonder how much effort Rare put into building each and every level, not to mention every level is different as they all have different gimmicks for you to learn.

DKC1 and 2 are the pinnacle of platformers. I love Mario, I love SMB1 and 3, I love Mario World and Yoshi's Island, but DKC1 and 2 are unmatched in intuitive game design. Megaman 1,2 and 3 are also good in that respect, but nowhere near as good as DKC.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Try to control yourselves.. Mewtwo is in the new Pokemon movie Extremespeed Gensect and The Reawakening of Mewtwo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there a source that Mewtwo is in the movie, Extremespeed Gensect and The Reawakening of Mewtwo?

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I'm on the fence about Mewtwo returning. On one hand if Roy returns, then I see no reason Mewtwo shouldn't, but on the other Gen I is my least favourite gen and the fact that Lucario is the only non-gen I Pokémon annoys me.

D

Deleted member

We still have 4 months left till E3. All we can do is to pray and speculate.:fluttershy:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
SSE sequel wouldn't be bad as long as it's worked on and presented better than the trash heap the first one was.

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
I havent seen anyone post this so here goes. What if each version of smash(wii u & 3ds) had exclusive characters, stages, etc. and the only way to get all the content of the games is to connect the systems. This would encourage die hard smash fans to get them both. For example, the classic pokemon reps(pikachu & jigglypuff, if she returns) would be included in both versions with the exception of lucario's replacement and maybe a new generation of pokemon trainer. The pokemon games made their mark on the handhelds so it makes sense to have them exclusive to the 3ds. Another example would be Little Mac. All his games are on the home consoles so hes exclusive to the wii u. Its a smart marketing strategy because they can lure people who want the full game to buy both. Then people will have access to both systems exclusive titles. I say this because there are people who want to buy an exclusive game but arent convinced of buying the system for one game. Now they have another reason.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I havent seen anyone post this so here goes. What if each version of smash(wii u & 3ds) had exclusive characters, stages, etc. and the only way to get all the content of the games is to connect the systems. This would encourage die hard smash fans to get them both. For example, the classic pokemon reps(pikachu & jigglypuff, if she returns) would be included in both versions with the exception of lucario's replacement and maybe a new generation of pokemon trainer. The pokemon games made their mark on the handhelds so it makes sense to have them exclusive to the 3ds. Another example would be Little Mac. All his games are on the home consoles so hes exclusive to the wii u. Its a smart marketing strategy because they can lure people who want the full game to buy both. Then people will have access to both systems exclusive titles. I say this because there are people who want to buy an exclusive game but arent convinced of buying the system for one game. Now they have another reason.
This has been posted before and I'm still firmly against it. I really don't see any real benefit to splitting content across both versions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This has been posted before and I'm still firmly against it. I really don't see any real benefit to splitting content across both versions.
Because making both versions identical is such a smart move too, especially for two systems with differing amounts of horse power.

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
I dont see any benefit to splitting content between both systems either but Im sure Nintendo does. Didnt they say that would be the main focus of these games?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
All that was said is the 3DS will allow the player to improve their characters through battles and rewards, and then the player would have the option to transfer that data to the Wii U version to battle with others. The Wii U will also have an emphasis on co-operative play.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I dont see any benefit to splitting content between both systems either but Im sure Nintendo does. Didnt they say that would be the main focus of these games?
I don't recall them saying anything to that affect. I vaguely recall Sakurai mentioning connectivity in some regard, but I don't think that means much.

I doubt the two versions will have any significant differences in content.

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
If i was Nintendo i would split the content so i can get more cash. Since im not, heres hoping they dont.

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
Youre right but you have to admit that splitting the content is a clever way to get more cash. If they do it they just took more cash out of my wallet cause Im a big smash fanatic, im sure you are too, and i want the full game.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
There is a distinct possibility that Nintendo could very well split content up. I can't say that I'd agree with it, but in a sense, it would make for a smart business move on their part. The die hard fans of the series would go out of their way to buy both, regardless. However, I also believe that in more ways than not, it's a horrible idea. Mainly because the majority of the fan base is actually quite finicky and fickle, not wanting to shell out money for two copies of the same game, only with slight differences. Also, a large number of customers are actually competitive players, therefore would likely not purchase the 3DS version simply because it takes away from the competitive concept. That is, unless Smash tournaments would take a different direction and go to a more customizable extent. Think Pokemon tournaments and such, where party customization is key. Sure, there's the meta-game for that as well, which Pokemon are the best choices and whatnot, but if SSB4 decided to take that concept and go with it, there's the possibility of a whole new realm of tournaments. I'm really on the fence about this one. I, for one, would be ecstatic to see Nintendo do with Smash 4 what Sony did with Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; buy the console copy and get the portable copy as well. THAT would be the best thing that Nintendo could do with this situation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I havent seen anyone post this so here goes.
People posted that loads of times until people showed them how dumb it was and then people didn't post that anymore.

And "Splitting the content" is the wrong way to look at it. They'll be more like two separate games. The Wii U version will be tailored for an experience on a home console, and the 3DS version tailored for a handheld. I will imagine they'll share many assets, and also have some "exclusive" stuff only because they're not being made for the same experience. The roster, however, would almost definitely be the same between the two.

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
Whats dumb about it? Im trying to be realistic here. I know you think this is a bad idea, as i do, but who does it benefit most? Nintendo's goal is get as much cash from us as they can and what better way to do it? If i was them i would split the content for more cash. Maybe when the games release, the 2 versions will have minor exclusives but if dlc is implemented with each system getting their own exclusive dlc it would entice a lot more people to go and buy both versions. Also how do you know the roster ''almost definitely will be the same.'' Thats speculation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why don't they make you pay for each character and stag and piece of music on the disc. More cash, right?

Because we all know Smash has trouble making sales, yeah?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
A grey male symbol walks into a bar. Says he's misguided and misinformed. Bartender says "you sound like Anonymous777." The grey male symbol says "That is me I am the joke."

Good joke.

vicgur

Smash Ace
I think there will be such things as unlockables that are unlocked when you connect both [3DS and WiiU] versions of the game.
I also believe those things are NOT gonna be as big as characters. Trophies, stickers... MAYBE a stage or something. But I think making characters exclusive for people who have the two versions of the game is not a thing I expecting.

I AM expecting different games with possibly different rosters, though. :cool:

PS: I like the new layout.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If there were some transferable exclusives, I would say like 4 or less characters or such and not 50% or more of an entire game like some people mindlessly think of.

And a while back I had the idea of seeing the 3DS being able to battle live against a Wii U but I decided that wouldn't happen due to the power differences between the two systems. But then when I heard that the Monster Hunter 3 for Wii U & 3DS could do such a thing, I'm thinking it's possible for Sm4sh to do again. All we can do now is wait for E3.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Sakruai wrote to Famitsu magazine recently. It's nothing Sm4sh related but he goes on saying how stories work in video games.
You guys are discussing a tired topic, this here actually gives us potential insight to the next game.

Story mode came in Melee and it was not well received because it was so short. I've noticed on boards all over how the Melee story mode is so well reviewed, it was not. Only after the extremely long and boring Subspace that we are begging for the Melee version. Getting less of 2 evils is still no good.

Sakurai hired a Kingdom Hearts(?) writer I believe to write up Subspace's story. I remember many fans thinking this was a win win situation sadly while many scenes were extremely cool it didn't have the fans clamoring for more. Of course we do want a bit of a blend between the 2 games, cut scenes but played largely on established video game terrain but not nearly as long or as short.

But after Uprising and this little article, as long as Sakurai personally handles the story the game would be in much better hands. His philosophy towards story is handled so well in Uprising and very similar to Star Fox, what more could we want? Only thing is those games require an extensive amount of spoken dialogue to function properly. Can't read and play an action game at the same time. So either some characters like Pit take huge roles speaking for the majority of the cast or still no dialogue at all which also works since Smash is so straight forward.

Ether way doesn't matter how cool the story is, the smash controls, while fashioned after Kirby games, don't play as well as Kirby games in an adventure setting. The gameplay is very different so I think making many short levels would work better. Those extremely long Brawl stages were just tiresome, wouldn't matter if we battled nothing but Nintendo goons on Nintendo Land, the gameplay does not translate well into a full on side scrolling adventure.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If there were some transferable exclusives, I would say like 4 or less characters or such and not 50% or more of an entire game like some people mindlessly think of.

And a while back I had the idea of seeing the 3DS being able to battle live against a Wii U but I decided that wouldn't happen due to the power differences between the two systems. But then when I heard that the Monster Hunter 3 for Wii U & 3DS could do such a thing, I'm thinking it's possible for Sm4sh to do again. All we can do now is wait for E3.
Plus, I think you could do that in Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom