• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Only 3 days late!

Also, that is so ****ing awesome. Those random convention attendees totally know what's up!
I will admit, I'd much rather have Professor Layton over most of the Namco characters that have been coming up lately. In my opinion, if any third party series seems to have the closest modern relationship with Nintendo, it's Layton.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That title (of the article) is misleading, and we already covered that. They're not gonna push Sakurai much (aside from jokes).

Although I must admit, Tales characters would make great NPC's.
Indeed. Call Of Duty (rather, almost all FPS games) is(/are) the same game rehashed over and over and over again. I honestly don't understand how it generates so much money. :glare:
The FPS genre does have quite a few original titles. The problem is that most of the series/companies that pushed the genre forward now are either defunct/inactive, rehashing everything, or they have been bought out/moved to a different studio.

Take Call of Booty for example. COD1 and 4 were great and definitely original (so was 2, but it was sLOOOOWWWWWW), but then after that (plus COD3), the whole series has become unoriginal garbage. It's bad enough to be unoriginal, but to be garbage is like putting salt on a wound.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I will admit, I'd much rather have Professor Layton over most of the Namco characters that have been coming up lately. In my opinion, if any third party series seems to have the closest modern relationship with Nintendo, it's Layton.
I second this.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Good to see Namco producers trying include their characters to Smash Bros, I know Tales characters would please alot of people, but Pacman is where the money is at, don't forget that Namco..

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I haven't heard Klonoa mentioned as a possible newcomer.
[COLLAPSE="Image snip"]
[/COLLAPSE]
That would possibly be because he's not really well known / popular; Nobody gives a care about him, even though I liked that one PS2 game he was in...

Er.
I'd love to meet the Klonoa fanbase. All three of them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That would possibly be because he's not really well known / popular; Nobody gives a care about him, even though I liked that one PS2 game he was in...

Er.
I'd love to meet the Klonoa fanbase. All three of them.
Well I'm one of the three. :awesome:
I'm a big Klonoa fan and I'd love to see him SSB4. ;):bee:

I don't go around bringing up Klonoa in every Namco or newcomer discussion because I admit that his chances are pretty poor, there are many other Namco characters who would get in before him, if Namco even gets a character. However, when I heard Namco was working on Smash, he immediately popped into my head and has since been my most wanted Namco newcomer, even though Pac-Man, a Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Tales character is much more likely.

I'm not going to let myself get caught up in my own fandom of Klonoa in smash though, because like you said, he has relatively minor popularity and even less demand. Personally I think he would fit in Smash a hell of a lot better than some other Namco characters, like Tekken or SC ones; it's too bad it'll never happen. :(

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Don't get me wrong, at one point I wanted him in the smash scene as well. But at this point it just seems kinda meh.

If he ends up being in smash I'm going to have mixed feelings.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Good to see Namco producers trying include their characters to Smash Bros, I know Tales characters would please alot of people, but Pacman is where the money is at, don't forget that Namco..
Only problem is that Pacman is boring.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well I'm one of the three. :awesome:
I'm a big Klonoa fan and I'd love to see him SSB4. ;):bee:

I don't go around bringing up Klonoa in every Namco or newcomer discussion because I admit that his chances are pretty poor, there are many other Namco characters who would get in before him, if Namco even gets a character. However, when I heard Namco was working on Smash, he immediately popped into my head and has since been my most wanted Namco newcomer, even though Pac-Man, a Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Tales character is much more likely.

I'm not going to let myself get caught up in my own fandom of Klonoa in smash though, because like you said, he has relatively minor popularity and even less demand. Personally I think he would fit in Smash a hell of a lot better than some other Namco characters, like Tekken or SC ones; it's too bad it'll never happen. :(
Well never say never, Smash has put some pretty out there and unexpected characters before. Third party is harder but hey, we can't judge things on patterns just yet so remain optimistic. Don't set yourself up for disappointment but don't absolutely rule it out, that's one thing I learnt early on in my time here, that we know absolutely nought about what the roster is gonna be like, we can't afford elite attitudes over characters yet (which is good because thankfully no-one of the regular posters are like that ((except for diddy and the sheik-impa thingy-ma-jig)) and we're all really respective).

@Kuma: I was wondering when someone would bring that up haha. I mean, he's iconic and i'm very open to him as a newcomer but I am very confused as to how they'll transform him in to a fighter. S'pose it can be done but it'll take some work methinks.

@Metal: Awww I wish we were on the same timezone too. You guys are so nice! <3

In any case, remember I won't post as often because, you know, i'm in the middle of the Australian desert atm hehe but i'll try! :-D

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: I was wondering when someone would bring that up haha. I mean, he's iconic and i'm very open to him as a newcomer but I am very confused as to how they'll transform him in to a fighter. S'pose it can be done but it'll take some work methinks.
Considering that the best Capcom could do was put him into a Mokujin mecha, I can't say we'd see much of an interesting fighter out of Pacman.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey guys, we have some new stuff to talk about.

Masahiro Sakurai, the man behind the Super Smash Bros. franchise, has teased what fans can expect from the next entry in the series.

Up until now very little has been revealed about the as-yet-untitled Smash Bros. game planned for Nintendo's Wii U and 3DS, aside from the fact it's being developed by Namco.

We've already seen how a number of games plan to integrate the Wii U's GamePad, but we've yet to hear how the fourth instalment of the all-star brawl 'em up will do the same. While Sakurai wasn't ready to reveal everything, he explained to IGN that the company was looking into ways that worked specifically with Wii U's new hardware, explaining "The GameCube controller is not the only way to control Smash Bros., so we will look into ways that fits the Wii U."

Previous entries in the series have offered a fairly robust selection of control schemes, so it makes sense the next game will do the same. But while Sakurai admits the company needs to adapt to incorporate new controller options, he's adamant the rest of the game doesn't need to change to remain fresh. Having had three very successful entries in the franchise, the Project Sora boss feels the series has found its target audience, meaning introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand.

"The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it," he said. "However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play."

Quite what this different experience may be is unclear, though we've previously reported rumblings about Tekken cameos, which would certainly shake things up. The chances of this actually coming to pass, though, seem quite remote, especially with Sakurai being unconvinced by the idea.

"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

Super Smash Bros. 4 is in development for Wii U and 3DS, with a release expected sometime in 2013.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog staying?! Well, I think the whole 3-4 guest character max from so long ago is still applicable today.

It also sounds like the engine for Super Smash Bros is complete.

Wait, 2013?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
2013 indeed. I'm super skeptical and pretty interested at the same time on this. I dunno what this means for the amount of content or quality of the modes or the content, but I think it might not be too far before we see something new. On the other hand I'm bewaring for this being yet another fan-slapped statement which won't be true at the end. (Or worse, we get delayed game like Brawl was.)

Still, I'm worried of what will the game be turn out to be like. Will it be a rushed release? I hope not...
(-l~l-);
On the other hand Melee was also developed rushedly and it's still super-loved today, so I dunno...

And aaah, I'm pretty flabbergasted by Tales Of-characters actually getting some supporting boost from their makers themselves. Gaah, who knows if we actually get Lloyd (or maybe even Luke though he's not that tied to Nintendo as Lloyd). (Now I'm just hoping for Genis to be featured as an Assist Trophy or better!)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As you said, Melee was rushed and that turned out to be a beautiful disaster. Likewise, Soul Calibur V was developed with only seven months of work. The key thing you have to do in development is to make the most of what time you have. If Sora and Namco can get a lot accomplished in, say, five months, then a 2013 release isn't that much of a stretch.

Compare that to Brawl which had more time than SCV and Melee combined and is a rather polarizing title (not near Other M levels though) despite the numerous delays.

Still, this doesn't tell us much of anything really other than it's a safe bet that Snake and Sonic (or at least Sonic) will return.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai said:
"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."
Damn you Sakurai. This awesome news is seriously messing with my prediction.

And I had everything locked down in my prediction roster. Oh well, at least it restores my hope in them returning.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sonic returning better mean we now get some more remixed songs from Sega Sound Team (Mario & Sonic-remixes were absolutely awesome.)
I though hope that this doesn't mean lesser quality in means of Nintendo-fanservice. (because Brawl totally blew my mind when it came to that).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
2013 indeed. I'm super skeptical and pretty interested at the same time on this. I dunno what this means for the amount of content or quality of the modes or the content, but I think it might not be too far before we see something new. On the other hand I'm bewaring for this being yet another fan-slapped statement which won't be true at the end. (Or worse, we get delayed game like Brawl was.)
I'm definitely thinking there might be a surprise Super Smash Bros trailer during the September Wii U event. From the sounds of Sakurai's statement it sounds as though the engine for the game is already complete. If there is to be a 2013 release it will probably be for late December, and will likely be pushed back.

As you said, Melee was rushed and that turned out to be a beautiful disaster. Likewise, Soul Calibur V was developed with only seven months of work. The key thing you have to do in development is to make the most of what time you have. If Sora and Namco can get a lot accomplished in, say, five months, then a 2013 release isn't that much of a stretch.

Compare that to Brawl which had more time than SCV and Melee combined and is a rather polarizing title (not near Other M levels though) despite the numerous delays.

Still, this doesn't tell us much of anything really other than it's a safe bet that Snake and Sonic (or at least Sonic) will return.
I've said this for many years now, but I believe the biggest thing that dragged down Brawl was a lack of prioritization. A great deal of time was spent on the Subspace Emissary that it dragged from the overall development of the rest of the game. Hopefully with the game split between the 3DS and Wii U that issue will be avoided this time around.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Hmm. Not sure what to make of the supposed 2013 release. It's thrown on at the end of the article so it makes me think it's just the writer making an estimate. Granted it's not technically impossible for it to happen, especially if the game system is complete and I imagine the extra manpower will help speed things along, but I'll believe a 2013 release when an official release date is announced (delays non-withstanding)

It's nice to see that, if nothing else, Sakurai seems more than willing to have Snake and Sonic back, so their chances of returning are looking up.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Expected 2013 release? I doubt it. Unless if they recycled Brawls engine and only somewhat modified it... At least polish it and remove tripping and add some other things. I guess that would save time. Enough time to spend on a better story mode. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Expected 2013 release? I doubt it. Unless if they recycled Brawls engine and only somewhat modified it... At least polish it and remove tripping and add some other things. I guess that would save time. Enough time to spend on a better story mode. :awesome:
They already said that Smash 4 imported the Brawl engine, likely to save time so they didn't have to rewrite everything from the ground up.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
This is pretty big news. But yeah, Sonic and Snake returning would be awesome.

Now all I need now is some kind of visual proof of the game's progress!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
They already said that Smash 4 imported the Brawl engine, likely to save time so they didn't have to rewrite everything from the ground up.
Did they? I must have missed that. :glare:

I'll take Sonic, but I personally think that Solid Snake should take a hike.
I personally enjoy the explosions and chaos that Snake brings along. I don't enjoy Sonic's lack of asplosion.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Wait, what? When did this happen?

Hopefully they didn't just cut/paste the engine and are just using it as a base and refining it.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman

Hopefully they didn't just cut/paste the engine and are just using it as a base and refining it.
Interview from IGN. There's a post about it on these forums. Not sure how that will affect things though. /shrug

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Interview from IGN. There's a post about it on these forums. Not sure how that will affect things though. /shrug
You talking about this? I didn't see anything about the engine being reused, just that they weren't planning to add any major changes.

Edit: Just realized the video at the end of the article shows footage of Project M. How long before people start "confirming" a Skyloft stage for SSB4?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

That's why I said they probably imported it to save time and then they'll make the changes from there. I suppose we can look at it as Project M but with the ability to truly alter the source code - something like that isn't doable for a mod IIRC.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ooooh. So there wasn't a confirmation that they imported/reused the engine.
No, I'm pretty sure I remember sometime around the announcement that they were going to import it. I'm just speculating as to why they imported it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kuma's right on this one. I'd have to go find it, but I'm pretty sure it was in an Iwata's Ask with Sakurai.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder what this means? A more sharpened version of Brawl, or more polarised Casual Brawl?

Wizzrobe: Don't put your expectations high on that detail, it's just IGN who said this so it might just be a fanslapped speculation for a release times. (-l´l-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom