• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Not iconic. But will ROB really be someone people want to see as "someone they dreamed to play as"?

I can agree that ROB was fun and unique. I loved him myself. But to want him to be in the game over others? No.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not iconic. But will ROB really be someone people want to see as "someone they dreamed to play as"?
Did anyone dream of Ice Climbers? Or Game and Watch? I dreamed of Starman.
I can agree that ROB was fun and unique. I loved him myself. But to want him to be in the game over others? No.
What does this even mean? What others are we talking about? New characters? You'd bet I'd take R.O.B over half of the characters that get thrown around these boards.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
In fact, I would LOVE to see G&W be left behind, but the guy is iconic to the series right now. Hell, in this day and age I'm sure Smash alone has been the reason people even know who he is or why they like him and want him to still exist. He's living through this game, and people want him to live.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
What does this even mean? What others are we talking about? New characters? You'd bet I'd take R.O.B over half of the characters that get thrown around these boards.
No, they didn't. They were new additions that caught on as people played with them, just like ROB. I would rather they not bring back half of the veterans we have in favor of new characters, but again, that's me. Not the public. I'm sure most of you would disagree with me about that.

I favor new characters instead of bringing back the old. Certain ones who generally were "out of nowhere" (and weren't really huge parts of Nintendo such as Mario), like ROB, I don't see having a reason to come back besides "some people want him in". The same case will go for Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't even believe "they're veterans" is a good excuse for those who have reserved spots.

We have to think about everyone, not just one group. There are many people who like ROB and probably do want him back; but do we really think the popular idea would go to voting him in when the process of "who actually becomes a part of the cast" is addressed?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dream of Shantae.
Who gets it? :awesome:

I'm not sure how many Donkey Kong Country fans we have here, but there are some direct feed videos for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze showing off some of David Wise's music for the game. One of them shows off a new track and man if this doesn't prove why we wanted him to do the music I don't know what will.

http://youtu.be/FFxS-vGACO0
Don't get me wrong, I love that they hired David Wise, he does the DKC soundtrack justice like no one else, but why couldn't Retro have hired Grant Kirkhope as well? I mean, he applied and everything... :(

D

Deleted member

Not iconic my ass.

The thing is associated as a major reason Nintendo even sells video games in the western market and has made plenty of cameos in games dating back from the SNES with the most major one prior to Brawl being a playable character in Mario Kart DS.
Would I have personally wanted him for Brawl before he was revealed? Not really. But same thing with Wii Fit Trainer. Now that they are in, they should be in to stay.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Exactly, Yuuiitusin. That's what happens when we're introduced to new characters. We can't push everyone to have reserved spots like this when they bring them to us out of space itself. Everyone has a say and it'll most likely be many people arguing that they deserve to stay. I want Diddy to stay, but he doesn't need to come back. DK is enough by himself. Wolf should be a stable part of the game too, but we already have Fox and Falco. Do we need to have all of these characters that we as individuals speaking as a group want coming back, or do we leave room for new challenges? Challengers...challengeres.

I would say this depends on the size of SSB4's roster. Hopefully it is large.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Dude. I just completed Earthbound.

I am very, very happy. :) Don't really know how to describe it or what to start off with in talking about it. I fully intend to play the others, either Zero or 3 starting tomorrow, definitely!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No, they didn't. They were new additions that caught on as people played with them, just like ROB. I would rather they not bring back half of the veterans we have in favor of new characters, but again, that's me. Not the public. I'm sure most of you would disagree with me about that.

I favor new characters instead of bringing back the old. Certain ones who generally were "out of nowhere" (and weren't really huge parts of Nintendo such as Mario), like ROB, I don't see having a reason to come back besides "some people want him in". The same case will go for Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't even believe "they're veterans" is a good excuse for those who have reserved spots.

We have to think about everyone, not just one group. There are many people who like ROB and probably do want him back; but do we really think the popular idea would go to voting him in when the process of "who actually becomes a part of the cast" is addressed?
So popularity is the sole basis of worth for a character? Wow, I don't even think you realize what you're advocating. For all that you might as well not even bother adding newcomers because chances are the general public won't even recognize them or the game they come from.

This really is turning into Brawl debates 2.0

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dude. I just completed Earthbound.

I am very, very happy. :) Don't really know how to describe it or what to start off with in talking about it. I fully intend to play the others, either Zero or 3 starting tomorrow, definitely!
Now you can appreciate it when I say that Earthbound needs more musical love in the next game.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
So popularity is the sole basis of worth for a character? Wow, I don't even think you realize what you're advocating. For all that you might as well not even bother adding newcomers because chances are the general public won't even recognize them or the game they come from.

This really is turning into Brawl debates 2.0
Of course not. Popularity is the biggest part of what warrants a character's addition, yes, for that is what Nintendo aims to hit first; who we recognize/have always dreamed about playing as and fighting or meeting with other universes, along with their own characters. What Nintendo believes we'll love is another part, but this is what newcomers are all about. They can surprise us. At first sight of the Villager I was a bit upset, and WiiFit Trainer kind of made me want to say wtf. But after a bit, they seem pretty awesome just because of all of the insanity going on that the internet makes them into.

And yes, it will turn into that if the conversation gets heated. I like to debate; I don't like to argue. Be calm about it and everything will be fine. We all have our own opinions to state here.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I'd really hate to lose Ice Climbers. They've actually been really good to me in Brawl. One interesting thought is if for some reason the Ice Climbers are removed, I wonder if Sakurai will find another character or return to an old idea to fill the token NES retro spot that Ice Climbers supposedly represent.
I would love to see another "duo" character. Perhaps done a bit differently than Ice Climbers were, though the way they are in Smash is interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yay Smooth, you win. ^_^

So was the rumour of Mii, Little Mac and Pac-Man false?
Chances are it is, but I suppose it could be possible their reveal got delayed until after E3. For now it's probably best to assume it's false though, until proved otherwise.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
@ Holder: If you liked Earthbound, then you're going to absolutely love Mother 3.
That one might have to be my next choice. I really want to see Lucas, and see Pokey again.

Now you can appreciate it when I say that Earthbound needs more musical love in the next game.
Yep! I had the soundtrack on my computer before I even made it half way through. :laugh: And there's just so much too.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The gameplay trailer showing off Bowser's new moves and model got me so pumped I can't even describe it.

It's that Boozer dropkick that got me most, then his running and other new moves. <3 This new Bowser may be based on Galaxy Bowser's speed and flips, and 3D land's running Bowser, I think.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know....

Would you guys be satisfied if our third parties were Snake, Sonic and Megaman. No one else. Just those three.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
You know....

Would you guys be satisfied if our third parties were Snake, Sonic and Megaman. No one else. Just those three.
That'd be totally fine with me or hell, even just Megaman and Sonic. Reason I say that is how I'm also thinking Snake may not return. If he does though, the more the merrier. :p

D

Deleted member

You know....

I would totally love this scenario, although I'm pessimistic on Snake and am only 50/50 on Sonic returning.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic's returning.

I don't see Snake making the cut now.

I think we're looking at Sonic, Mega Man, and MAYBE Pac Man. So just one more third party.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm interested on seeing how Snake would look in this game as well. A more cartoony oriented Snake? I'll bite.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You know....

Perfectly fine with it. If anything, it's the absolute most ideal situation to go with. I say Sakurai should just do this.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
God damn this thread is moving quickly. O_O

So...no newcomers today? I guess that Neogaf rumour wasn't as credible as we thought.

Is there more E3 stuff tomorrow?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Cross-play between the Wii and DS has been done by Square Enix (with a Final Fantasy title I can't remember the name of) before. There isn't any reason why it couldn't be done with Smash (and no, each version having different stages is not a justified excuse to me).
He did give a legitimate reason though.

I dream of Shantae.
Read it as:

I dream of Shortie.
And I was like, who doesn't?

Depending on which side of the fence you're on, yes. Nothing was revealed on the final day of E3 Smash related (newcomer wise).
Can't wait for those three to be revealed in a few weeks / months. I don't even WANT these characters, but I want them now just so you all can be wrong, because you are.
Go Boozer! <3
you called?

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
If Snake comes back, what other Metal Gear character(s) would you like to see? I think Gray Fox would be a cool addition (he was even an assist trophy in Brawl). Also, does anyone think Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) might be a possibility? Samus cameo'd in DoA.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Snake comes back, what other Metal Gear character(s) would you like to see? I think Gray Fox would be a cool addition (he was even an assist trophy in Brawl). Also, does anyone think Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) might be a possibility? Samus cameo'd in DoA.
Why would we get more than one Metal Gear character?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Can't wait for those three to be revealed in a few weeks / months. I don't even WANT these characters, but I want them now just so you all can be wrong, because you are.
Did I, myself, say I thought it was a lie? No, I'm a firm believer their all in too. All I said was depending on a persons view of the rumor, at least that's what I was insinuating.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I personally don't see Snake coming back. I think Kojima got what he wanted and now he's moved on from it. If we lost a third party rep Snake would be the easiest rep to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom