• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That sounds a bit more believable. Where did you hear this?
I thought I saw a post about it on here. I may just be imagining things.

Can't imagine that they'd hold off on the next Direct until October, though. They've been doing these things frequently.

I think besides Mii (and maybe Panel de Pon), this is a perfect list. Little Mac, Takamaru, Shulk, Isaac, Starfy, Ray, and Andy all deserve to be playable. It's just a huge shame that most of them won't be.
Amen to that. (Though I'd still hope for Sami or Max over Andy, because Andy would most likely be even more annoying than Pit.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*shrugs* There was a 6 month gap between the Brawl trailer and when Fox was revealed. Granted, SSB4 seems to be a lot farther in development than Brawl was when it was first revealed and Nintendo has been doing Directs of some kind monthly since last fall but when it comes to Smash Bros I've grown used to huge gaps between info leaks.

Add in: Supposedly the October Direct is their next major one which is why I mentioned it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of Link for a second, but am I the only person that noticed Link having abnormally large eyes in the Mega Man trailer? Maybe I'm being crazy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait for the next NSMB game. :p
This.

It is kinda funny how some people still doubt Toad getting in SSB4 after not one, not two, not three, but four new main Mario games that feature at least one playable Toad... and yet some people act like if Waluigi becomes playable in one main Mario game or one Wario Land game or one WarioWare game, he would be a shoe-in. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I'm still very skeptical on Pac-Man, Mii and Toad.

I think Paper Mario might be our new Mario character. The Mii would really be a waste though, I mean, what can the Mii really do that the Villager and MissFit already don't?

As for Pac-Man, I think we're only getting two 3rd party characters, them being Sonic and MegaMan (though I'm still hoping Snake somehow makes it back).

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything Chrono said. Though, I would also add the W101 to the potential newcomers (after that whole rumor about Sakurai and Plat Games and all).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of Link for a second, but am I the only person that noticed Link having abnormally large eyes in the Mega Man trailer? Maybe I'm being crazy.
Hmm... I did notice that his face looked quite different in the MegaMan trailer.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Since things have slowed down, I want to ask again, who has played "The Last Story" and what were your impressions without apply spoilers?

I will list where I am below in black text:

I have gotten past Tower of Trials and I am looking for that well. Avoided the battle with Gurak attacking the island which is ahead. I did sneak a peak after talking with the Knight with white hair (cannot remember his name). Decided I didn't want to jump ahead until I found Horace's well.

D

Deleted member

*shrugs* There was a 6 month gap between the Brawl trailer and when Fox was revealed. Granted, SSB4 seems to be a lot farther in development than Brawl was when it was first revealed and Nintendo has been doing Directs of some kind monthly since last fall but when it comes to Smash Bros I've grown used to huge gaps between info leaks.

Add in: Supposedly the October Direct is their next major one which is why I mentioned it.
Well, there's also the Tokyo Game Show in late September.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if Sakurai is thinking/hoping that Pac-Man is going to get the same reception that Sonic/Mega Man got, then he is mistaken, especially if he plans to use Pac-Man as a last minute hype generator. At this point, Pac-Man is the only third-party newcomer I could still see getting in (aside from the two guests from Brawl returning).

Really, I wonder where Sakurai could go for guests assuming Pac-Man is also added for Smash 4. Practically, all of the really major and most famous non-Nintendo characters have already been added in at this point.

Really my hopes for Smash 4 at this point are:
- Ridley getting in.
- Return of Mewtwo and Roy
- All of the veterans coming back

I feel very good about Ridley and Mewtwo getting in, and I feel very good about Roy returning and there being no cuts (aside from possibly Brawl's guests) if Sakurai allows himself the option of DLC.

I wonder if DLC plans will also be handicapped by the 3DS version. I know games like Injustice have had something around eight DLC characters. Personally, I would not care if all of the DLC characters were veterans that were cut due to time constraints, I would buy them all, even Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Jasmine Dragon

Smash Cadet
I do agree that seeing more outright new franchises would be nice. DK and Metroid need one more rep but I think every other series is good at its current number, with the possible exception of Fire Emblem.
My man Douglas J Falcon could use a buddy.

I think besides Mii (and maybe Panel de Pon), this is a perfect list. Little Mac, Takamaru, Shulk, Isaac, Starfy, Ray, and Andy all deserve to be playable. It's just a huge shame that most of them won't be.
I completely agree, I would absolutely love to see Issac in Smash. I'm a huge RPG fan and playing Golden Sun was one of the few games that threw me, full force, into the feeling of excitement intrigue and wonder that I hadn't experienced since games such as the single digit Final Fantasies, OoT and Kingdom Hearts. In my opinion Golden Sun is certainly one of the titans when it comes to great RPG's.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how hard the 3DS version is going to hamstring the potential amazing roster that could be realized on the Wii U.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
This.

It is kinda funny how some people still doubt Toad getting in SSB4 after not one, not two, not three, but four new main Mario games that feature at least one playable Toad... and yet some people act like if Waluigi becomes playable in one main Mario game or one Wario Land game or one WarioWare game, he would be a shoe-in. :rolleyes:
I doubt Toad getting in because I think other characters from the Mario franchise, most notably Paper Mario, have a better chance at inclusion if Mario gets another rep.

I'm not so certain that Toad being playable in the recent co-op Mario games helps his chances as much as people think, given that by default he exists only as the character which you get if Mario and Luigi (and now Peach) are already taken. Now, I am certain there are plenty of Toad fans out there who would pick him first, but I can't imagine that they are anything more than a dedicated minority compared to the size of the entire Mario fanbase.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think if Sakurai is thinking/hoping that Pac-Man is going to get the same reception that Sonic/Mega Man got, then he is mistaken, especially if he plans to use Pac-Man as a last minute hype generator. At this point, Pac-Man is the only third-party newcomer I could still see getting in (aside from the two guests from Brawl returning).

Really, I wonder where Sakurai could go for guests assuming Pac-Man is also added for Smash 4. Practically, all of the really major and most famous non-Nintendo characters have already been added in at this point.

Really my hopes for Smash 4 at this point are:
- Ridley getting in.
- Return of Mewtwo and Roy
- All of the veterans coming back

I feel very good about Ridley and Mewtwo getting in, and I feel very good about Roy returning and there being no cuts (aside from possibly Brawl's guests) if Sakurai allows himself the option of DLC.

I wonder if DLC plans will also be handicapped by the 3DS version. I know games like Injustice have had something around eight DLC characters. Personally, I would not care if all of the DLC characters were veterans that were cut due to time constraints, I would buy them all, even Pichu and Dr. Mario.
He will get hype but not as much as other characters. Honestly, redoing Sonic and showing him again would generate a lot of hype.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
If your avatar is any indication of your craziness. :awesome:

Hoots

Can Be Combative

I think Paper Mario might be our new Mario character. The Mii would really be a waste though, I mean, what can the Mii really do that the Villager and MissFit already don't?

As for Pac-Man, I think we're only getting two 3rd party characters, them being Sonic and MegaMan (though I'm still hoping Snake somehow makes it back).

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything Chrono said. Though, I would also add the W101 to the potential newcomers (after that whole rumor about Sakurai and Plat Games and all).
I really REALLY want to not believe the rumor, but what are the chances that ANYONE could have fathomed Wii Fit Trainer even down to her name (Unless she is officially named Wii Fit Trainer in Wii Fit). There's just no way that anyone could just get a lucky guess on that without knowing beforehand. Really, our only hope is that the person who leaked it added in the 3 extra character for some reason (although this doesn't seem likely).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
(Unless she is officially named Wii Fit Trainer in Wii Fit). There's just no way that anyone could just get a lucky guess on that without knowing beforehand. Really, our only hope is that the person who leaked it added in the 3 extra character for some reason (although this doesn't seem likely).
It's extremely unlikely that somebody could have guessed it, but it's still possible, and we need to keep that in mind.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Well, Pac-Man might not get the same reception that Mega Man got... but he could get the same reception that Villager got. Dat psycho smile. :awesome:

Jasmine Dragon

Smash Cadet
I think if Sakurai is thinking/hoping that Pac-Man is going to get the same reception that Sonic/Mega Man got, then he is mistaken, especially if he plans to use Pac-Man as a last minute hype generator.
I don't think that Sakurai believes the reveal of Pac Man will be as big as Mega Man or Sonic and that's why it hasn't happened so far, but Namco WILL get a character. When reading that article about them not getting priority, his quote is in reference to the interviewer pointing out that people want Soul Calibur characters, Tales characters and Pac Man. They won't get priority in the sense that they won't have a lot of characters in smash just because they're making it, but they will have a rep.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

After Villager getting in, I can't see Sakurai not adding the Mii. I am not keen on them, but like Animal Crossing and Wii Fit, it has become one of Nintendo's highest selling franchises.

I am not so sure about Sonic's return. He certainly deserves to return after Sega giving that three Sonic game exclusive deal (the third exclusive Sonic game has not been shown yet), however, I think it all depends on whether Sega approaches Sakurai again. Personally, I would love to see him return.

As for the Wonderful 101, I am not so sure that game lends itself well to getting a playable character. Probably an Assist Trophy but not much else.

What if that visit to Platinum Games was simply Sakurai giving him his proposed design for Takamaru in Smash 4 since Platinum apparently has an interest in making a new Nazo no Murasame.

I just wish Sakurai would have shown at least one newcomer from a veteran Nintendo franchise for the unveil, and a non-shock Nintendo character in general.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is still the chance of it being an extremely lucky guess. Megaman was obvious, Pac-Man almost seems like a given with Namco working on the game, and aside from Little Mac, the other Nintendo franchises mentioned were the best selling games of franchises not yet represented in Smash in the last generation so he could have deduced it by considering that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not so certain that Toad being playable in the recent co-op Mario games helps his chances as much as people think, given that by default he exists only as the character which you get if Mario and Luigi (and now Peach) are already taken. Now, I am certain there are plenty of Toad fans out there who would pick him first, but I can't imagine that they are anything more than a dedicated minority compared to the size of the entire Mario fanbase.
Technically, Toad can be the 2nd player as well.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Technically, Toad can be the 2nd player as well.
Of course, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't it always default to Mario and Luigi? Super Mario Bros. is the name of the game, after all.

There is still the chance of it being an extremely lucky guess. Megaman was obvious, Pac-Man almost seems like a given with Namco working on the game, and aside from Little Mac, the other Nintendo franchises mentioned were the best selling games of franchises not yet represented in Smash in the last generation so he could have deduced it by considering that.
Indeed. Wii Fit and Animal Crossing are best-selling franchises. AC in particular is enjoying a brand-new release, and Wii Fit was a perfect mark for Sakurai's beloved WTF picks, as we all saw. It would be a very unlikely guess, but not an impossible one.

Given how many rumors are going to be flying in the coming months, if a rumor predicts something and then doesn't come true, even partially, I won't believe it no matter how credible it seems.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here's a really, really scary though. What if that list was not a leak about what characters would happen for E3, but rather what newcomers in general were in the game. I think Sakurai would certainly have hell to pay if there were only six newcomers, and that of them, only Mega Man and Little Mac were popularly requested additions.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I really REALLY want to not believe the rumor, but what are the chances that ANYONE could have fathomed Wii Fit Trainer even down to her name (Unless she is officially named Wii Fit Trainer in Wii Fit). There's just no way that anyone could just get a lucky guess on that without knowing beforehand. Really, our only hope is that the person who leaked it added in the 3 extra character for some reason (although this doesn't seem likely).
I'd say this is the only likely reason the rumor would be false. The guy somehow knew about the first three characters and decided to mention three others just to troll and mess with our heads. It is pretty unlikely though and they are probably all confirmed. With that said, one thing to keep in mind that goes against Mii's inclusion particulaly is the Villager's moveset. Villager has boxing gloves, a bowling ball, and the balloon fighter balloons. These seem to be ripped straight from Wii Sports and Nintendo Land, so why does he have them and not the Mii assuming Mii is in?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a really, really scary though. What if that list was not a leak about what characters would happen for E3, but rather what newcomers in general were in the game. I think Sakurai would certainly have hell to pay if there were only six newcomers, and that of them, only Mega Man and Little Mac were popularly requested additions.
I don't think Sakurai is that stupid.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No offense, but I keep seeing this, and every time I think "This guy needs to calm down".

We are not going to get only six newcomers, and we certainly aren't going to get only six newcomers with 1/3rd of them being non-Nintendo characters.

Jasmine Dragon

Smash Cadet
I am not so sure about Sonic's return. He certainly deserves to return after Sega giving that three Sonic game exclusive deal (the third exclusive Sonic game has not been shown yet), however, I think it all depends on whether Sega approaches Sakurai again. Personally, I would love to see him return.
I would love to see Sonic come back, but Mega Man having the EXACT same spring mechanic worries me...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That would be an utter disappointment. Sakurai would be beyond trolling if that happened.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Of course, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't it always default to Mario and Luigi? Super Mario Bros. is the name of the game, after all
Yeah, but Luigi is obviously more important than Toad. Among the possible newcomers I think only Bowser Jr comes close to matching him in importance.
Toad = Bowser Jr > Paper Mario > Waluigi

Calm down. We'll not get so few newcomers.

pikaknight

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man should have been the shown newcomer. it should have been villager, Megaman and Pac-Man. not this Wii fit trainer bish.......Nintendo is just trying to be unpredictable but wii fit trainer<_<........ im anti-trainer she just wasted a perfect character slot and watch her be like top teir.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The design isn't OoT or SS for Link, that's for sure. It seems to be just a "General Link", you know? And it sucks to say it, but SS Zelda isn't going to be in Smash, and it doesn't sound like Sakurai likes costumes because he thinks it takes away character originality, somehow.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic may get cut, but if it happens there will be a lot of backlash. I just wonder if Sakurai knows that or not because I know SEGA would be up for putting him back in Smash if he is wanted.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, but Luigi is obviously more important than Toad.
Which is kind of my point. Toad's basically just filler for additional multiplayer slots in those games, as evidenced by one Toad getting the boot for Peach. Having a playable role helps, certainly, but I don't think it guarantees him an inclusion in SSB4 like many others seem to believe.

Stupid? No. High in the trolling spirit? Hell yes.
Adding only those newcomers wouldn't be trolling; it would be imploding your own game. Sakurai is not an idiot; he knows he needs to do better than that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Sakurai is that stupid.
This. Melee's original roster was only 19 characters with only 5 unlockable characters (Marth, Jigglypuff, Game and Watch, Luigi, and Mewtwo) but he bumped it to 26 (using Zelda and the 6 clones) in the last couple of months of development because he said he knew the fans would be angry with him if he had stayed at the original amount.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The design isn't OoT or SS for Link, that's for sure. It seems to be just a "General Link", you know? And it sucks to say it, but SS Zelda isn't going to be in Smash, and it doesn't sound like Sakurai likes costumes because he thinks it takes away character originality, somehow.
Link's still mostly based on TP Link. In fact, it's TP Link with SS-inspired coloring.

Sonic may get cut, but if it happens there will be a lot of backlash. I just wonder if Sakurai knows that or not because I know SEGA would be up for putting him back in Smash if he is wanted.
If Sonic gets cut, there WILL be backslash. That, I can say for sure.

Pac-Man should have been the shown newcomer. it should have been villager, Megaman and Pac-Man. not this Wii fit trainer bish.......Nintendo is just trying to be unpredictable but wii fit trainer<_<........ im anti-trainer she just wasted a perfect character slot and watch her be like top teir.
There's no such thing as a "wasted slot." She's the WTF character of this game, similar to Mr. Game & Watch in Melee and (arguably) R.O.B. in Brawl.

Stupid? No. High in the trolling spirit? Hell yes.
Like I said, it would be beyond trolling.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Mii could use the following stuff that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer might not use:

Wii Sports Resort: swordplay, Frisbee, archery, basketball, table tennis, golf, power cruising
Wii Play Motion: ice cream cones, Whac-A-Mole hammers
Pilotwings Resort: rocket belt, hang glider
StreetPass Mii Plaza: potions (Find Mii), different elemental powers based on the color of their shirts (Find Mii)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom