• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
http://smashboards.com/threads/did-sakurai-botch-the-e3-reveal.337570/

I created the following post in E3 section. I really think Sakurai botched this reveal unlike how he did with Brawl and Melee which had great reveals.

One of the biggest botches was having WFT so close to after Megaman because the backlash of WFT totally overshadowed the hype created by Megaman.

Also no new features, no really popular characters outside of Megaman which was overshadowed, and the comments about possible cuts related to 3DS version has created a lot of backlash and negativity about this title early on. I feel that this wasn't a great reveal.

Had Sakurai not made his comments about Ice Climbers/3DS issues and not made the comments once again about Namco/Third Party, than this game would have had better hype/speculation. Now everyone is expecting the worse.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect that Ike could be cut for the latest FE Lord. I think it's more likely for the series to bump to 3 slots than for Ike to go, but Ike is definitely at risk.
I can see a couple of cuts happening but something I noticed between Melee and Brawl is the following:

Usually there is a character that replaces them that is similar or very similar. I think of Mewtwo as being really the only cut that wasn't a clone but even Mewtwo had a character that was somewhat similar (I know I am going to get flamed but they did have some similarity) with Lucario. People felt like Lucario was a replacement even though they had a different moveset.

Roy was obviously traded out for Ike which gave us a newer Lord with a new moveset that wasn't a clone.

Pichu was cut because he just had no value.

Toon Link replaced Young Link with an updated model.

Dr. Mario was really the only cut without a replacement and as people pointed out, he was a clone of Mario.

There really isn't a character in Brawl that isn't unique. They made take characters from a franchise and trade them out for another in that franchise that is newer and fresher but I don't see major cuts like Mr. Game & Watch or ROB if they are unique characters.

Ike, Lucas, Toon Link, and perhaps a Pokemon character maybe cut but they will be replaced with someone in their respected franchises that has similar movesets and still fits their spot on the roster.

I can see Chrom replacing Ike but still having Ike's moveset for example.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, I don't really think Sakurai botched the E3 reveal. The only "fault" was the Wii Fit Trainer revealed so early, and people got over it pretty quickly. The best news was the removal of tripping. I still believe the possibility of many cuts is a misinterpretation.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I saw the video BlackBusterCritc talking about this, then I checked the Dead Rising 3 footage and heard the windows error sound. I can't believe it. Microsoft lies to gamers yet again.
It made a windows error sound during a demo???....wow..
Between that, the rumors about Microsoft employees going to to the special Nintendo Best Buys, The rumors about them paying dev's not to demo their games on PS4, them deleting comments on Youtube, Them disliking comments negative on Reddit and them telling potential customers if you don't have reliable internet stick with a 360, I just find it hard for me to support a company that do such tactics...

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes but as someone posted in a picture about Megaman, we have waited for every for him and he was totally overshadowed about people first upset about WFT than by Sakurai's comments even though Sakurai indicated he was working the best to get characters back in. Cuts create a lot of anxiety with the fanbase and now everyone is expecting cuts and very little roster, levels, etc because of 3DS version. The mentality, it appears, across the board is this game won't be that good.

The hype after Brawl was the "Sky is the limit." It created unreasonable expectations and what did Brawl in the most was the gameplay of it, unfortunately. However, at this point, very little is known about gameplay until the game is out so people focus on stages, modes, and characters. Something that, besides Megaman, was really lacking at E3. That compounded with reliving fears of cuts related to 3DS version has created a lot of anxiety about this title.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai has stated he's working hard to have as most characters as possible and stated that stuff that cannot be added in the 3DS version will not compromise the Wii U version. That is enough of a relief for me.

I say it again: THE 3DS VERSION WILL NOT COMPROMISE THE WII U VERSION.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Yes but as someone posted in a picture about Megaman, we have waited for every for him and he was totally overshadowed about people first upset about WFT...
Okay guys, please don't call out the lynch mob on me for saying this...

I think that here on Smashboards, and in the general Smash community, there is a pretty massive Megaman circlejerk. Like a monstrously colossal Megaman circlejerk of epic proportions. Everyone in the Smash community values Megaman WAY WAY WAY more than about 99.99% of the average demographic. Did he deserve a spot? Yes. Was the trailer awesome? Yes. HOWEVER, he's really not THAT special of a video game character. At the very least, not moreso than many other characters (like Sonic, etc). To be all mad that people weren't sitting around losing their **** about Megaman for weeks and weeks after he was announced is pretty irrational.

I think we need to curb our expectations and realize that we come from a very specific angle. In the grand scheme of things, Megaman looks like a pretty standard (albeit unique) Smash character. WFT is insanely WTF, and THAT is how you hype. And what does it matter if people are hyped more by WFT than Megaman? All marketing cares about is people buying the game, and I agree that their plan of revealing characters slowly with a trailer for each (which will likely happen) will be way more lucrative in the long run.

As far as his unsettling comments, he's Sakurai. We all knew they were coming.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What backlash for WFT? Wii Fit Trainer has generated ten times as much OC and quite possibly even more publicity than Mega Man's reveal. I know at least one poll running on here had more people excited for her than Mega Man.

WFT's "backlash" lasted about twenty minutes before most people got pretty hyped for her.

All three E3 reveals were perfectly chosen. WFT to generate mass hype, cause a furor, and appeal to very casual players, Villager to appeal to casual and more involved Nintendo fans alike across a broad fanbase, and Mega Man to appeal to hardcore Smash fans and generate hype to rival Snake's.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Maybe its because hes sooo ****ing long overdue...more like *sarcasm..,*

''Yey...they finally did it...''

I would expect a similar reaction if lets say ''just saying'' Dark Samus gets in over Ridley...when if anything DS should have been in brawl....

People would be like...''yh..cool.....(-_-)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
A lot of people were pretty much, "WTF, Sakurai?!" at first. Then the trailer comes out and then it's all "WTF is this awesome ****?"

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
A lot of people were pretty much, "WTF, Sakurai?!" at first. Then the trailer comes out and then it's all "WTF is this awesome ****?"
Tbh i have never changed my view on WTF and i doubt i ever will i still got a brain unlike some PeePz :) hence while i will forever refer to her as WTF & not WFT.

But my buthurt lasted a very short time unlike Mewtwo's...because i understand why she got in so its cool i can live with it.

But i dont like her or support her in anyway never have never will and will only play as her when i have to like Ice Climbers.

-Opnions are awsome-

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think the three newcomers were well chosen. Just look at them: they all have completely unique movesets and make me want to play as them and discover how to use those characters correctly. Same happened when Snake, Pit, Meta Knight or Sonic were revealed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah. Butthurt is the best kind of tears that can be shed on the internet. I love me a tall glass of butthurt in the morning.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm sorry, how can anyone say Sakurai botched the reveal of Super Smash Bros. Wii Fit Trainer was a perfect E3 reveal and much better than any other Nintendo character they could have had besides Villager. The meltdown of this community was priceless, and she looks so bizarre I actually really want to play as her.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the long waits will be more rewarding this time around especially with the promise of individual trailers. Remember how everyone went nuts when Ike was revealed after 15 months of waiting despite the fact that maybe 1/4th of the Smash fanbase even had a clue who he was? That was only a page with his picture and a couple of screenshots. Imagine how it would have been if he had gotten his own 2 minute trailer like everyone in SSB4 has so far.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Tbh i have never changed my view on WTF and i doubt i ever will i still got a brain unlike some PeePz :) hence while i will forever refer to her as WTF & not WFT.
>Implying that liking Wii Fit Trainer means having no brain.

She was chosen purposely because no one would expect her. And she has a unique and comedic moveset. What's not to like?

I think the only people that are butthurt are ones that put their expectations too high or have no sense of humor.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, how can anyone say Sakurai botched the reveal of Super Smash Bros. Wii Fit Trainer was a perfect E3 reveal and much better than any other Nintendo character they could have had besides Villager. The meltdown of this community was priceless, and she looks so bizarre I actually really want to play as her.
That was a good one.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
>Implying that liking Wii Fit Trainer means having no brain.

She was chosen purposely because no one would expect her. And she has a unique and comedic moveset. What's not to like?

I think the only people that are butthurt are ones that put their expectations too high or have no sense of humor.
I said i ubderstand why she got in so its cool...what you lot gonna force me to like her now....hehehe good luck.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it was smart to reveal WFT when we were still fairly starved for newcomers instead of when we were all content and bloated with our Ridleys and our K. Rools and then this weird Wii character shows up right at the end and causes another ROB situation where people begrudge her from "stealing a spot" from their favourite character - which they would do when it came right down to the wire much more than they are doing now. :rolleyes: Though people would get over it, like they always do, and like they already did. :p

That said, I still don't much care for her, but I appreciate what she brings. Just not for me. :/

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Man. The new stages look so ****ing good. I think the new Battlefields are the best we've had so far and I can't WAIT to see what they do with Final D (I swore I saw a stage that looked like a fusion of Final D and Battlefield).

Lol Final D.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sakurai has stated he's working hard to have as most characters as possible and stated that stuff that cannot be added in the 3DS version will not compromise the Wii U version. That is enough of a relief for me.

I say it again: THE 3DS VERSION WILL NOT COMPROMISE THE WII U VERSION.
I agree with you totally but you are not reading my posts. The fact that people on the internet are claiming the opposite shows he botched it. He should have never even made that comment in the first place because it has created backlash against WFT who I think will be a fun character but everyone is hating on it. I am just giving my perceptions of how people are responding to the reveal.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with you totally but you are not reading my posts. The fact that people on the internet are claiming the opposite shows he botched it. He should have never even made that comment in the first place because it has created backlash against WFT who I think will be a fun character but everyone is hating on it. I am just giving my perceptions of how people are responding to the reveal.
Can't blame people that put their expectations too high.

As much as I dislike cuts, it's something that can happen. It's happened before with other fighting games and other multiplayer games, it happened with Brawl and it's a possibility for this game as well. I don't need Sakurai to say there is that possibility, since it's common sense to ponder that possibility.

I dislike cuts? Yes. WILL it happen? We don't know. It may happen? Yes, it may.

Once again, even before Sakurai mentioned that possibility, I had already considered that possibility. Whether or not there will be cuts, only time will tell.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think it was smart to reveal WFT when we were still fairly starved for newcomers instead of when we were all content and bloated with our Ridleys and our K. Rools and then this weird Wii character shows up right at the end and causes another ROB situation where people begrudge her from "stealing a spot" from their favourite character - which they would do when it came right down to the wire much more than they are doing now. :rolleyes: Though people would get over it, like they always do, and like they already did. :p

That said, I still don't much care for her, but I appreciate what she brings. Just not for me. :/
Yes but you don't put the ROB situation at an E3 reveal of the game. You pull it perhaps 6 months after the reveal of the game. They would have been better off showing Pac-Man, Sonic, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc.

Actually, Mewtwo would have been the best bet for a reveal at this E3.
Let's also compound it with the fact there was no new game mode (like Smash Balls or Assist Trophies for Brawl). It did not blow us away. I do think the final product may blow us away because every title has been an upgrade at least with content from the previous title and we should keep faith that this one will be the same.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Can't blame people that put their expectations too high.

As much as I dislike cuts, it's something that can happen. It's happened before with other fighting games and other multiplayer games, it happened with Brawl and it's a possibility for this game as well. I don't need Sakurai to say there is that possibility, since it's common sense to ponder that possibility.

I dislike cuts? Yes. WILL it happen? We don't know. It may happen? Yes, it may.

Once again, even before Sakurai mentioned that possibility, I had already considered that possibility. Whether or not there will be cuts, only time will tell.
Yh but Sakurai said himself that he knew people hated Cuts also the Sm4sh is more capable than Brawl on top of smaller ammount of newcomers it is reasonable to assume that some PeePz thought there wouldnt be cuts this time...but yh....

bobadz

Smash Ace
Cuts will happen, but I hope they will be DLC later.

(keep in mind I'm aware of what Sakurai said, but I meant once the game is completed.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except the feedback for the SSB4 reveal has been overwhelmingly positive. As I noted in the other thread, the official Smash Bros youtube channel already has a combined 3 million+ views for all the videos revealed at E3 in less than a week, Megaman in Smash was one of the 10 ten searches WORLDWIDE on Yahoo for nearly three days straight after his reveal, and most gaming websites (including heavy hitters like IGN, Gamespot, and Kotaku) are reporting that SSB4 is the game that most of their traffic during E3 was looking at. I'd hardly call that "botched."

Add in: You also have to consider all the views pouring into the SSB4 videos on popular gaming youtube channels, the memes WFT and the Villager started that swept the internet, and the number of people who have already dedicated themselves to doing weekly podcasts of SSB4 reveals.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yh but Sakurai said himself that he knew people hated Cuts also the Sm4sh is more capable than Brawl on top of smaller ammount of newcomers it is reasonable to assume that some PeePz thought there wouldnt be cuts this time...but yh....
The development of a game is unpredictable.

I have experience in programming, so I know what I'm talking about, and I know what is to meet deadlines and facing with bugs that take a lot of time to find what's causing it and how to fix it.

Sakurai has clearly stated he wants as many characters in the game, but if some content has to be cut due to time constraints, he will have no choice but scrap the content. That's why Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong and other characters couldn't appear in Brawl, even though Sakurai intended to have them in Smash.

Remember that Sakurai has stated they may have DLC content. What we may get for DLC could very well be characters that couldn't be finished in due time. Now, Sakurai wants to avoid that and he will probably delay the game to have his game perfected. We all know how Sakurai is. It happened with Brawl and with Kid Icarus: Uprising and this game may very well be no exception.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes but you don't put the ROB situation at an E3 reveal of the game. You pull it perhaps 6 months after the reveal of the game. They would have been better off showing Pac-Man, Sonic, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc.
I agree an actual popularly requested Nintendo character would've been nice (though Villager would've been one if not for Sakurai - and really he probably was for people who don't follow speculation... which is most people), but what's wrong with putting the surprise character at E3? Her initial backlash was short and minuscule compared to how favourably received she now seems to be. Same likely would've happened with ROB, if he was in her place.

And it's not like ROB was the final character revealed either, so now it's just moving the surprise character (assuming we don't get another one this surprising) from post-launch (though it'll leak anyway - without any fancy trailer to help with hype) to at E3 when the hype is already riding high from the trailer.

That said again, I also think the character herself would've worked best as an unlockable, but the time to reveal her was chosen well, to minimize backlash and to actually get people hyped for a character that would normally be received mixed at best by just being leaked.

Let's also compound it with the fact there was no new game mode (like Smash Balls or Assist Trophies for Brawl). It did not blow us away. I do think the final product may blow us away because every title has been an upgrade at least with content from the previous title and we should keep faith that this one will be the same.
That's subjective. I also think the Brawl trailer was better, but it served its purpose better than any other Nintendo game showed off this year, to create hype. It was hardly a bad trailer, and it blew away many people. Considering we're going to be getting trailers of every newcomer, I think it's safe to say even those not blown away yet probably will be before the game launches.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm almost sure that we won't have the type of cuts people are expecting, and why should there be? This isn't like Melee where Dr. Mario and Pichu were blatant filler added on the whim of the developers, every character in Brawl, with the exception of a few, were exactly what people were asking for regarding the roster. There's no reason we cannot have a decently sized and varied roster with minimal to no cuts. Technology certainly isn't the limiting factor here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom