• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Let me ask everyone a serious question: is there a point in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros? Since 2011 I've been waiting for Sakurai to give me a good reason to own both games. Halfway into the year -- I'm still left asking that very same question. All of the post-E3 information have only made the 3DS title look worse with each new article that is published. Why would I spend $39.99 on another version of Super Smash Bros when I'll already be dropping $59.99 for the Wii U version? For what will likely end up a glorified sticker system? It's ridiculous. Yes, Super Smash Bros on the go is a novel idea, but one that could have easily been accomplished without forcing some kind of iron shackled bond between the portable and console version. Heck, they could have ported Super Smash Bros. Brawl. No, Sakurai chose to do this, and the sad reality is no matter how bad an idea this was from the very start there is no stopping it now. I understand his desire to try something bold -- right now the only thing bold about the 3DS version is they actually expect me to pay over $100 dollars for what is shaping up to be a tacked on experience with no clear benefit. Sakurai bit off more than he could chew. I'm cognizant of the fact that we are still very early into the information cycle but continually hearing this undefined "customization" feature thrown around does nothing to encourage me, especially when the trade off is a needlessly handicapped Wii U version.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exclusive courses are about the only thing, I guess. I'd wait for a lot more information to decide which one to get. And 3DS is playable more easily anywhere, a huge advantage that the Wii U version doesn't have.

We do know that the roster will be the same in each version, but he was vague about that. He could just mean final roster, or he could every character is normally available in the version you get without connecting both. It may or may not have partially exclusive characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've always said that not having a universal roster would of been the smarter move and emphasized each version being essentially their own experiences, but of course the fans had to complain about that and now we'll have to deal with the Wii U version getting handicapped because of the 3DS version.

At the moment, I don't see why I should get the 3DS version if it's just going to be inferior to the Wii U version. The only novelty I can see is it being portable, but that charm won't save it.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Let me ask everyone a serious question: is there a point in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros? Since 2011 I've been waiting for Sakurai to give me a good reason to own both games. Halfway into the year -- I'm still left asking that very same question. All of the post-E3 information have only made the 3DS title look worse with each new article that is published. Why would I spend $39.99 on another version of Super Smash Bros when I'll already be dropping $59.99 for the Wii U version? For what will likely end up a glorified sticker system? It's ridiculous. Yes, Super Smash Bros on the go is a novel idea, but one that could have easily been accomplished without forcing some kind of iron shackled bond between the portable and console version. Heck, they could have ported Super Smash Bros. Brawl. No, Sakurai chose to do this, and the sad reality is no matter how bad an idea this was from the very start there is no stopping it now. I understand his desire to try something bold -- right now the only thing bold about the 3DS version is they actually expect me to pay over $100 dollars for what is shaping up to be a tacked on experience with no clear benefit. Sakurai bit off more than he could chew. I'm cognizant of the fact that we are still very early into the information cycle but continually hearing this undefined "customization" feature thrown around does nothing to encourage me, especially when the trade off is a needlessly handicapped Wii U version.
I don't think there's enough information to drop that judgement of whether the 3DS SSB should/shouldn't exist. So far, it seems like a sized down version of the Wii U game, with entirely different stages, and that's about as much as I can say I know about it. I'll most likely get both, because a lot of my friends own a 3DS, but not a Wii U.

Also, a port of Brawl would be far more pointless.

D

Deleted member

....why is this the first time I'm seeing this?
This was back in May 6th, too...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The point is, Hyper, for a game that's foundation is based on it's multiplayer experience why would you want to limit that in any way? Super Smash Bros on the go will only be as much fun as the closest WiFi hotspot, beyond that you're left with a primarily single player oriented experience. I don't want that. I want to play against my family and buddies, have a good laugh and some insane fun. The Wii U version is and will be the definitive game. The 3DS should be supplementary, not a hindrance. What it all boils down to is for almost two years I've been screaming that this is a bad idea and by all indications it is shaping up exactly how I thought it would.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The point of the 3DS Smash Bros is that the 3DS has an absolutely massive userbase and Nintendo needs to exploit that userbase as much as they can in order to make up for the WiiU's poor performance.

Personally, I am not worried. Sakurai has said that the 3DS version of the game will not limit the WiiU version, and may even be delayed past the WiiU release date if necessary. The WiiU release is clearly the priority, and Nintendo will have put together an adequate team to handle simultaneous development of two titles. With 12 million copies of Brawl sold, Nintendo knows what is on the line here, and Sakurai knows better than anyone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The point is, Hyper, for a game that's foundation is based on it's multiplayer experience why would you want to limit that in any way? Super Smash Bros on the go will only be as much fun as the closest WiFi hotspot, beyond that you're left with a primarily single player oriented experience. I don't want that. I want to play against my family and buddies, have a good laugh and some insane fun. The Wii U version is and will be the definitive game. The 3DS should be supplementary, not a hindrance. What it all boils down to is for almost two years I've been screaming that this is a bad idea and by all indications it is shaping up exactly how I thought it would.

It's not a hindrance. He's putting as much as he can in both versions overall while making sure everyone can enjoy either version without either game being a bad buy.

Both work well for multiplayer overall. Both will have great options. So no, I really don't see how any of this is right at all.

Brawl already did a great job of making Single Player wayyyyyy more important than multiplayer, so that idea left on a boat some time ago. It's been a combination of powerful multi and single player since Brawl. That's gotta be accepted as a fact.

But hey, if you're more interested in multi than single, get the Wii U version. If it's the opposite, get the 3DS version. Neither is the wrong choice overall.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
With 12 million copies of Brawl sold, Sakurai has shown that he knows what he's doing. Let's just trust him.

Super Smash Bros. Musical confirmed.

Dress up characters in ******** costumes and watch them dance on stage in front of a crowd.

Can we not throw around that word?

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
It's not a hindrance. He's putting as much as he can in both versions overall while making sure everyone can enjoy either version without either game being a bad buy.

Both work well for multiplayer overall. Both will have great options. So no, I really don't see how any of this is right at all.

Brawl already did a great job of making Single Player wayyyyyy more important than multiplayer, so that idea left on a boat some time ago. It's been a combination of powerful multi and single player since Brawl. That's gotta be accepted as a fact.

But hey, if you're more interested in multi than single, get the Wii U version. If it's the opposite, get the 3DS version. Neither is the wrong choice overall.
Well, Brawl definitely tried to make single player more important. I have about 10 hours of gameplay in SSE, and hundreds of hours in Versus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
With 12 million copies of Brawl sold, Sakurai has shown that he knows what he's doing. Let's just trust him.
This. It was my least favorite of the 3 and even I think it was a great game.

Can we not throw around that word?

You're wasting your time on a troll. Just use the ignore list in your profile.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The point of the 3DS Smash Bros is that the 3DS has an absolutely massive userbase and Nintendo needs to exploit that userbase as much as they can in order to make up for the WiiU's poor performance.

Personally, I am not worried. Sakurai has said that the 3DS version of the game will not limit the WiiU version, and may even be delayed past the WiiU release date if necessary. The WiiU release is clearly the priority, and Nintendo will have put together an adequate team to handle simultaneous development of two titles. With 12 million copies of Brawl sold, Nintendo knows what is on the line here, and Sakurai knows better than anyone.
I'm not debating the economics of the decision, I'm smart enough to figure out why it exists. What I'm having a harder time accepting is why Nintendo expects me to believe both versions are worth owning when there is nothing so far that indicates that the inter-connectivity between both titles is really going to add much of anything to either experience. Remember, initially this game was being sold as a title that was going to be Nintendo's marque title demonstrating the cross platform capabilities of the 3DS and Wii U. This was going to be the axis by which this game's wheels ran. All I keep hearing about is customization, but in the absence of any clear definition of what that means I'm left to assume that is something akin to the sticker system. That is what irks me about this whole thing. For all that they could have let both titles truly do their own thing (so to speak) and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

As far as the Wii U's userbase is concerned I expect things to turn around after the holiday season. Nintendo has one major title every month beginning in August. Personally speaking that is more than enough for myself when I'll be so busy with classwork come fall that most everything will end up in a backlog.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure that's coming from the blood-soaked shoes after stomping out people dumb enough to piss me off. :troll:

Bear in mind I was styled after Mugen from Samurai Champloo. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Golden had to crush Diddy's skull in multiple times, that I can assure. Then again the mongrel kind of deserved that, so no tears were shed.

Also thanks to Bowserlick, now I'm imagining Golden being infected with Phazon and vomiting glowing blue slime.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have a signature I made but I don't use pit at all :( will someone claim it for me please?

Pit where? I'm super picky tbh *uses the gold one* and more. Spread the Pit propaganda, for it will be our uprising!

D

Deleted member

Golden had to crush Diddy's skull in multiple times, that I can assure. Then again the mongrel kind of deserved that, so no tears were shed.

Also thanks to Bowserlick, now I'm imagining Golden being infected with Phazon and vomiting glowing blue slime.
That isn't even my final form!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The detail is very interesting, and I shall add that to my collection. I personally may want to ask for a new sig request sometime, along with any other KI fan around.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What do you mean? The controls are incredibly tight and responsive, the level design is brilliant, and the game is essentially perfectly engineered.
My only gripe with Warioland 4 is that it doesn't have as much content as previous Warioland games. There's only about 18 levels, but at least it's more replayable.

We flat out do not agree then, because that game is mediocre at best IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone else get Reggie's home in the HHA place today?

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
We flat out do not agree then, because that game is mediocre at best IMO.
Well, it's the most bizarre out of the Warioland games. I can understand where you're coming from, because the mandatory collecting and having to return to the start of each level can ruin the pace of the game. I personally love it, because of the great game mechanics, design, and puzzles.
The other Warioland games don't have that at all though, so it's not smart to judge the entire series off of 4, regardless of whether you like it or not.

D

Deleted member

Last time I checked, Brawl sold nearly eleven million, not twelve.
Wouldn't they have to go through the licensing issues again to get Snake and Sonic back along with 2nd parties? I don't think they would do that, but I guess anything is possible.

My main issues with this move is that we didn't even get cross-play (say what you will, but what about the non-exclusive stages? They should at the very least work, especially if we have universal roster), which hurt the appeal of the game to me. This also worries me about what exactly will happen to the duo characters/transformation characters. Especially Pokémon Trainer, in which Ivysaur and Squirtle are now on thinner ice than any non-guest characters (and not because of "irrelevance" but I'm worried about their fate should Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon split). A portable Smash game is something I always wanted, but at this rate, I kind of would have appreciated it if it was a separate title altogether. Sakurai better give us all a good reason to buy a 3DS and Wii U version because if he is not, I won't be getting the 3DS version (and I don't want to have to pay $650+ for both games that don't differentiate themselves enough).

Only reason why I'm even considering the 3DS version is because of how much I enjoy Super Smash Bros.; any less and I would have completely written it off.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's too early to say if the 3DS will handicap the Wii U version. From what I've taken from the interviews it's that Sakurai is willing to make compromises to get around the 3DS's programming issues (which I doubt is related to space) or just cut them all together should they not work. If anything though, I have enough confidence in Sakurai's common sense as a developer to not pull such a move.

Tough to say what what the "customization" stuff is all about, personally I don't care about it at all until I start hearing more info but either way I'm not worried about it and I'm fairly sure that you'll won't have to own both versions in order to fully enjoy the other. If anything I'd guess we're looking at a large easter egg of some sort. I won't say Sakurai has bitten off more than he can chew just yet given how little we know so far, only thing I can say is that I think he did the right thing in hiring Namco Bandai in helping him with this task.

Personally I was sold on the 3DS version just to have Smash on the go. Wii U version sold me due to the fact that it's better for multiplayer reasons. If anything though, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far so I'm ready for them to take my money.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Were they both actually shown with the Wii U logo? Because I don't remember seeing that. Just that the top one was Wii U only(in every picture I could find). Was the bottom one labeled at all during the appearances?
There's a certain art style difference between the two games i've noticed. Both of these are Wii-U though ^_^

D

Deleted member

While I don't think the 3DS will end up handicapping the game (outside of maybe transformation/duo characters), my issues steam more from the 3DS perhaps not having enough contents to justify itself. I want to see the 3DS version worth the amount of money it's going to be and there needs to be stuff exclusive to the system that separate it from the Wii-U version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom