• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That is quite true I had forgotten he crossed over that many times. My bad on the negative assumption.
To be fair though, twice it was for Fortune Street for the DS and Wii and the other a cameo in Mario Sports Mix. It isn't as though we are talking about Mario Lart, but it is still something.

Also joking moment for a sec. But if it just happened to be the generic DQ1 Hero would your name change his "stats" so to speak on his attacks and his defense? :p
If we were to get a hero I can only see the options as being Erdrick and Terry. Erdrick because he remains the most popular and distinct protagonist in the series, having a whole trilogy devoted to him; and Terry because he was the main star of the original Dragon Quest Monsters game (which was remade for the 3DS) that preceded Pokemon and was a skilled swordsman in Dragon Quest VI.

That's why you go with the mascot.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
To be fair though, twice it was for Fortune Street for the DS and Wii and the other a cameo in Mario Sports Mix. It isn't as though we are talking about Mario Lart, but it is still something.

If we were to get a hero I can only see the options as being Erdrick and Terry. Erdrick because he remains the most popular and distinct protagonist in the series, having a whole trilogy devotes to him; and Terry because he was the main star of the original Dragon Quest Monsters game that preceded Pokemon and was a skilled swordsman in Dragon Quest VI.

That's why you go with the mascot.
Makes sense to me. Slime would be the iconic dude to go for in that case. I've only played a few DQ games myself notably 1 and 8. I need to go back and play 6 and the rest.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think Pacman in Smash would basically have to play his retro background Up to Eleven to create new fans, since that's by far his biggest (arguably only) selling point at the moment anyways.

Also, if we're getting a shock character from a veteran franchise, I'd put Meowth right up there with the best of them, like Arcadenik suggested. Not that that's probable at all, but, hey, if the fanbase can fall in love with WFT, I'm sure they'd cuddle right up to Meowth as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think people would hype for Pac-Man in Smash once they see Pac-Man in action, the ghosts, the maze stage, and especially Pac-Man's Final Smash - turning all opponents into blue ghosts and then turning into a giant 2D sprite to eat them and all characters' eyeballs float around - on top of the iconic music, Pac-Man Fever.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The only thing about retro pac-man is he's so aesthetically displeasing. I would hope they would use the arms and legs look. I probably wouldn't mind Pac-Man once I saw what he did, but Pac-Man in general isn't something I'm that into. Just like Mega Man. I like how he's playing in Smash, but the series doesn't interest me much outside of this aspect. (Well, and Capcom fighting games)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will however say that the concerns with Chrom are kind of greater at the moment. Maybe it's because of Arena Ferox being a confirmed stage or something that is getting me rustled.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Makes sense to me. Slime would be the iconic dude to go for in that case. I've only played a few DQ games myself notably 1 and 8. I need to go back and play 6 and the rest.
If you have a DS or 3DS look for DQV. Best game in the series in my opinion. Best story and beat music of the Zenithia Trilogy that was remade for the DS. After that go for the classic, DQIII.

A long time ago I did a moveset for Slime that pulled from the DQ series, Slime Mori Mori, Mario Sports Mix and some original ideas. If I get the chance to tomorrow Ill show you it tomorrow to give you an idea of my vision.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If you have a DS or 3DS look for DQV. Best game in the series in my opinion. Best story and beat music of the Zenithia Trilogy that was remade for the DS. After that go for the classic, DQIII.

A long time ago I did a moveset for Slime that pulled from the DQ series, Slime Mori Mori, Mario Sports Mix and some original ideas. If I get the chance to tomorrow Ill show you it tomorrow to give you an idea of my vision.
I do have a DS and a 3DS [just got recently] I'll check those out to be sure. Also that would be cool to see the moveset ^^

D

Deleted member

I think Pacman in Smash would basically have to play his retro background Up to Eleven to create new fans, since that's by far his biggest (arguably only) selling point at the moment anyways.

Also, if we're getting a shock character from a veteran franchise, I'd put Meowth right up there with the best of them, like Arcadenik suggested. Not that that's probable at all, but, hey, if the fanbase can fall in love with WFT, I'm sure they'd cuddle right up to Meowth as well.
That's what I was thinking in regards to Pac-Man for Smash 4; play up what most people like about Pac-Man (his arcade game) and run with it. Trying to focus on what Pac-Man has done recently is not going to appeal to people; especially not his latest design which wasn't all that well-received.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Slime's cool in my book. Most Square characters are, weirdly enough. I like Black Mage, Chocobo, Geno, and even Sora well enough. Although I guess Sora is now officially a Disney character right?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I will however say that the concerns with Chrom are kind of greater at the moment. Maybe it's because of Arena Ferox being a confirmed stage or something that is getting me rustled.
Frankly, he's a pretty likely newcomer. He's not guaranteed, but he's up there. I wouldn't convince yourself that he won't be in; that is just asking to be disappointed.

I'd love it if Sakurai took his words about uniqueness to heart and gave us someone crazy like Anna or Tiki, but sadly that seems an extreme long shot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Precisely the problem with Pac-man is that the character would have a lot of weight to bare, but wouldn't be able to handle it. Remember that you cannot simply add any character and expect it to work right off the bat, there needs to be that strive to make things click. This is especially true for a character that don't belong to Nintendo, due to the strict guidelines of including third party characters.
Pac-Man's moveset probably might take advantage of his spherical body shape... maybe Pac-Man would be like a bouncing ball with limbs... he was kinda like this in Pac-Man World games if you spam his Butt Bounce ability... and he could roll over enemies with his Rev Roll ability like a bowling ball hiting enemies like they are bowling pins... it would also pay homage to Pac 'n Roll.

D

Deleted member

If there were to be another company getting a spot in Smash, it should definitely be Square Enix. They have two very iconic franchise (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) they could choose (my pick would be Dragon Quest for Slime) and Geno, while an unimportant character, also has a very distant shot because of his massive popularity pre-Brawl. I really don't think we will get three new third-parties, but Square Enix just may have a very small shot of proving me wrong.

Crono would be cool too, but he sadly has no shot.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Slime's cool in my book. Most Square characters are, weirdly enough. I like Black Mage, Chocobo, Geno, and even Sora well enough. Although I guess Sora is now officially a Disney character right?
Funny thing is after seeing Megaman I'm now totally convinced Sakurai could come up with a moveset better than what I did. I'd be fine with any of those other characters too bar Sora. Overall though I think Sakurai will stay far away from SquareEnix. If he thinks he has problems with The Pokemon Company they don't have anything on the vice grip that is SE.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If there were to be another company getting a spot in Smash, it should definitely be Square Enix. They have two very iconic franchise they could choose (my pick would be Dragon Quest for Slime) and Geno, while an unimportant character, also has a very distant shot because of his massive popularity pre-Brawl. I really don't think we will get three new third-parties, but Square Enix just may have a very small shot of proving me wrong.
I'd think for Square [Long shot yes]. Crono or Cecil could have a shot as well, considering Triggers popularity and the fact that Final Fantasy 4 keeps getting re-released and has been on mostly Nintendo consoles. [Plus I love me some FF4 damn it]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Geno? Blah... gimme Mallow and his weather powers. We don't have someone like Storm in Smash yet. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Funny thing is after seeing Megaman I'm now totally convinced Sakurai could come up with a moveset better than what I did. I'd be fine with any of those other characters too bar Sora. Overall though I think Sakurai will stay far away from SquareEnix. If he thinks he has problems with The Pokemon Company they don't have anything on the vice grip that is SE.
Ouch, totally forgot about that. After what happened with PlayStation All-Stars, I don't think Sakurai would want Square Enix being incredibly specific with what they want when it would turn out to hurt the appeal of the character in the long run. I'm incredibly surprised that negotiation with Capcom for Mega Man went as easy as it did; I'd expected licensing issues to be much messier given their greed.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I just read what she did. lol.

Stupid *****. Even if you do say ******, don't admit it and lose MILLIONS in endorsements. I thought she'd be smarter than that.
She was under oath, so...

Anyway, her problem is not that she admitted to saying the word, but the way she talked about it and all the other stuff she said and is accused of. Talking about how she wants a plantation-style wedding with black men doing some kind of minstrel show tap dance, and people think it's all about how one time two syllables came out of her mouth in the 80s. Yeah, no.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The problem with SE is there are no characters that separate themselves from the pack. People end up getting stuck asking for a token SquareEnix character as though there is some quota to fill, where as with Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman it was clear they were wanted. Had nothing to do with Capcom or Sega, just the characters. You can't really say that with SquareEnix, not without going down some sort of list. The only character even remotely close to that is Geno, but he wound up being the result of a cultish fad than anything else. Unless there is a Solid Snake situation where other reasons besides popularity are in play I can see a character happening, but beyond such an anomalie I don't see Sakurai going out of his way to include anyone like he did with Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
Meowth is one of those characters few people expect.... most people are all about Mewtwo and expecting 5th/6th gen new Pokémon. I am kinda hoping but not expecting Sakurai to add both Meowth and Mewtwo Éclair Forme in SSB4 since I notice that Sakurai tends to add one 1st gen Pokémon and one latest gen Pokémon per game.
Coincidence, bud. Meowth is not going to be a character.

D

Deleted member

The problem with SE is there are no characters that separate themselves from the pack. People end up getting stuck asking for a token SquareEnix character as though there is some quota to fill, where as with Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman it was clear they were wanted. Had nothing to do with Capcom or Sega, just the characters. You can't really say that with SquareEnix, not without going down some sort of list. The only character even remotely close to that is Geno, but he wound up being the result of a cultish fad than anything else. Unless there is a Solid Snake situation where other reasons besides popularity are in play I can see a character happening, but beyond such an anomalie I don't see Sakurai going out of his way to include anyone like he did with Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman.
Geno's only hope really comes from his pre-Brawl popularity (could argue how he's an easy fit in comparison to other third-parties, but it doesn't matter that much) and it's a very, very small hope at this point considering Sakurai going to be dealing with the painful process of successfully fitting in two, three or maybe even four third-parties this game. Geno also suffers from being such a minor character in both the Mario universe and within Square Enix and much more well-known competition from Square Enix. I don't think Sakurai would go through the trouble to include him.

There is only one character left that could hope to obtain the massive demand that got Sonic and Mega Man in and that is Cloud (not just from Square Enix, but third-parties in general). Cloud's potential for popularity would certainly be much bigger than that of Mega Man although likely not to the same extent of that of Sonic. What's keeping him from reaching that is how associated he is with Sony and I'd wager that a big reason why quite a few people rejected Snake was because of him being so relatively associated with non-Nintendo platforms. What Cloud needs in order to be incredibly popular for Smash is a FFVII remake on a Nintendo platform and let's be honest here, chances are it's not coming to a Nintendo platform. So while it could happen, I don't think Cloud will ever get the sparks necessary to be a heavily demanded character. Not that being generally associated with Sony directly hurts a character's chances, but it does keep Cloud from being highly wanted.

I honestly think this will be the last time we see third-parties in a Smash game. No one will ever prove to shock the audience as much as Snake did, no one (outside of perhaps Cloud) will ever be massively requested to get in like Sonic and Mega Man and there is no one that will ever be as iconic as Pac-Man. Smash 5 (should be there one) will likely be only Nintendo characters again.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Meowth is one of those characters few people expect.... most people are all about Mewtwo and expecting 5th/6th gen new Pokémon. I am kinda hoping but not expecting Sakurai to add both Meowth and Mewtwo Éclair Forme in SSB4 since I notice that Sakurai tends to add one 1st gen Pokémon and one latest gen Pokémon per game.

Smash 64
1st gen - Pikachu
1st gen (latest gen) - Jigglypuff

Melee
1st gen - Mewtwo
2nd gen (latest gen) - Pichu

Brawl
1st gen - Pokémon Trainer Red
4th gen (latest gen) - Lucario

SSB4
1st gen - Meowth
6th gen (latest gen) - Mewtwo Éclair Forme
I always wanted Meowth as a character, but I'm not sure if he'll be in SSB4.

He'd be nice as a starter character, though. I imagine him fitting in best on the original SSB64.
I'd say his time has passed, but then again, we got Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard for Brawl...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone got a link to the Sakurai direct without the translator speaking?

I want to hear the BG music real quick.

D

Deleted member

Watch the Japanese version on the website. Easiest way.

But here's the link anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5BISnOVPM

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you won't find Punch-Out music on the boxing ring stage. It *conveniently* has no music playing when the stage is shown.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Watch the Japanese version on the website. Easiest way.

But here's the link anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5BISnOVPM

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you won't find Punch-Out music on the boxing ring stage. It *conveniently* has no music playing when the stage is shown.
Nah. Nothing like that. I just wanted to hear how certain songs sounded in smash.

Know what I mean?

Although the no Punch Out!! music is VERY convenient. Don't you think?

Either ways. Gracias!

D

Deleted member

It sounds to me that most of the songs are directly ripped of the ones we've heard.

Other than the Wily Theme remix heard in Mega Man's trailer, I do not know if any other songs were remixed.
-Melee Menu Theme remix from Brawl is obviously the same.
-Gerudo Valley is the same one used in Brawl (which is directly ripped from OoT).
-The music used for the 3D Land stage sounds just like the one in trailers for that game.
-etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am worried that there won't be many remixes in this game.

We've only heard one....

The remixed music is one of my favorite things about smash. I don't want to see it go....

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

We've only heard one....

The remixed music is one of my favorite things about smash. I don't want to see it go....
I wouldn't worry, try to look on the bright side! Imagine some of your favorite tunes remixed!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

We've only heard one....

Game's what, maybe a year out from release, if not more? I doubt much of the remixed music would even be done.

Sakurai has more staff, more resources, and more money than ever. There is no reason to worry that he is going to cut back on any aspect of the series without good reason to do so.

HylianHero

Smash Cadet
I know everyone is on the subject of sonic, but I just have to ask, does anyone know if there will be any more Nintendo Direct type videos? I thought I heard that there were going to be some every couple months or so, which would pretty much be the best thing ever. I wish I could remember where I read that because it could be wrong and I'd just be spitting out hype, but I'm almost positive I read that somewhere. If it's true does anyone know when the next one would be?? It's pretty much killing me haha

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't like Pac-Man, and I'm not really interested in Little Mac either, so it's not like I LOVE this rumor or anything, it just seems legitimate.
Agreed as well. I won't ever say the rumor is true or anything, but there is fair amount of things backing it up to not rule it out just yet I think.

We've only heard one....

To be fair the Mega Man trailer had multiple remixes (MM2 Title Theme, Stage Selected, MM2 Weapon Get, MM2 Wily Stage 1/2). ;)

Also wasn't there a remix or two from Wii Fit?

I doubt they'll be gone but I wouldn't be surprised if we see less given the increasing budgets for modern in-game soundtracks.

D

Deleted member

I do have to admit that I do have some concerns with less remixes. Mega Man in particular could really do well with original remixes considering that most of it's games people are familiar with are 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit and it'd be a shame if we didn't get more.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I see no reason to assume that we're going to get less remixes.

It's perfectly normal to be apprehensive that SSB4 will not live up to our expectations, but we shouldn't allow that natural worry to translate into fear without any evidence.

If the Mega Man trailer had 3-4 remixes in and of itself that's even more proof that SSB4's music options will be just fine.

I also wouldn't count Gerudo Valley as cause to be worried, because it's goddamn Gerudo Valley. That song is already perfect for the game entirely as is. No need to remix.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Lucky me got to avoid that. In fact, even my parents didn't have this given to them.

Hilariously enough, my family doesn't even call me any of them. They gave me a nickname that I eventually adopted into my whole/legal name.

Off the record, Ismar is my real name. And despite 7 names, my sister doesn't even have a middle one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom