• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl sells 500,000 copies on first day

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
In comparison with other games... how good this numbers are?=.....

im not too informed in game sales!.

500k is good for the first day?

how much galaxy sold?¡

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
In comparison with other games... how good this numbers are?=.....

im not too informed in game sales!.

500k is good for the first day?

how much galaxy sold?¡
about 250,000

Hitzel

Smash Ace
How many people typically buy a game day one in Japan? I know Halo 3 sold in the millions (no, I'm not a fan of Halo 3), but I don't know how that compares to #'s in Japan sales. 500,000 is still a ton, though. 80% sold day one is also a very impressive number.

I personally hope that the numbers of people buying Brawl don't reach Halo's numbers. Online communities go straight to hell when that many people are playing.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
halo destroys those numbers :)
plus i expexcted more than 500,000....

and 80%, theres gonna be a shortage..if thats all nintendo made...is wear..sometimes they forget how good there products are...look at the wii for example

come on usa, we can do better!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Half a million is a hard number to fathom for day 1 sales. I mean, think if you had half a million of anything! It's hard to swallow. However Brawl deserves to be the success it inevitably will and this is a great first step.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Pokemon Diamond + Pearl sold a combined 1.5 million in the first week.
Not sure on Dragon Quest, but it sold 3 million in 3 weeks. The first day of sales is the biggest in Japan by far. Sales drop off much quicker in Japan than the US. However, recently that's changed a bit with Nintendo's appeal to casual/non-gamers. Also remember that DQ and Pokemon are way more popular in Japan than Smash. They aren't normal games.

Smash did much better than most normal games. Usually games sell about 100k - 200k for first week if it's dcently popular. More otherwise. Mario Galaxy did 250k in its first week.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I know TC said please no Halo 3, but Halo 3 actually sold about 60k units its first week in Japan.
I am aware that Halo isn't popular in Japan. I want to compare Brawl's day 1 sales in Japan to Halo 3's day one sales in the USA.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Not that this means much, but yeah, comparing Halo releases is kind of trivial isn't it? We have to see how Brawl does in AMERICA first to compare numbers. Did Halo have a worldwide release or did it go to America first? Because its not really fair comparing American and Japanese sales numbers.

BKBroiler

Smash Cadet
24 hours in one day, 1440 minutes in 24 hours, 86,400 seconds in 1440 minutes. Is this right? If it is, that means that 5.7 Brawls were sold every second.

okor

Smash Apprentice
I am aware that Halo isn't popular in Japan. I want to compare Brawl's day 1 sales in Japan to Halo 3's day one sales in the USA.
Well I don't think it really works like that. >.>

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Pokemon Diamond + Pearl sold a combined 1.5 million in the first week.
Not sure on Dragon Quest, but it sold 3 million in 3 weeks. The first day of sales is the biggest in Japan by far. Sales drop off much quicker in Japan than the US. However, recently that's changed a bit with Nintendo's appeal to casual/non-gamers. Also remember that DQ and Pokemon are way more popular in Japan than Smash. They aren't normal games.

Smash did much better than most normal games. Usually games sell about 100k - 200k for first week if it's dcently popular. More otherwise. Mario Galaxy did 250k in its first week.
But, you said Brawl sold 500,000 in a DAY.

In a WEEK it will clearly sell more. :laugh:

I'm gonna guess at least 600,000.

"i,d hate to be the guy that bought 7/10ths of a game..."

Why? That would just mean there would be no landmasters since they take up so much space...

Sorry, I had to.;)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, considering that the US has more people than Japan, it still wouldn't be fair. What we should compare is percentage of the total population that bought the game.

Another thing we can do is make an indirect comparison. Super Mario Galaxy out sold Halo 3 (maybe not the first week, but it caught up fairly quickly.) Smash outsold Mario.

Halo<Mario<Smash
Halo<<Smash.

:laugh:

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Mario Galaxy did not outsell Halo 3. Not in its first day, not in total sales for the year.

The thing is Smash can't sell much more until Nintendo ships more disks to stores.

Top Bottom