• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Duel announced! FAKE News Topic

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Hello, fellow Smashers. I have a hearty bit of information for you all that I think you might be interested in. Look for a hidden message in this post from myself, as well...now, onto the good stuff.

Super Smash Bros. Duel was recently announced by Nintendo. Links to the announcement can be found on the bottom of this post. However, this information comes from a friend of a friend who is closer to the source than any of us. The best thing I can say to you skeptics is to take this stuff with a grain of salt [no matter how convincing it looks].

The game will be for the Nintendo DS and it will be released the week following Brawl. The two games will be able to link up and this is how you will be able to unlock some characters on either game. For example, beating the Subspace story on Brawl could unlock a character on Duel, and beating Duel's story mode could unlock characters on Brawl.

The control scheme will be as follows. It should be noted that porting a worthy smash control scheme was not easy.

A will function like A normally would, as would B. The Y button will function as the jump button, and the X button will be used to activate smashes. This makes sense, since there is no C-stick on the DS and differentiating between tilts and smashes might be difficult for the DS's D-pad. So -> + X would be a foward smash, while -> + A would be a forward tilt. Also, holding down X without moving for a second will activate the Taunt. Holding down X and a direction will charge your smash.

L will function as a shield, and allow for Rolls and Air Dodges. R will be your grab, but you can still shield grab using L+A. Jump cancelling might be tricky, but if my friend knows his **** from what he is saying the game will play almost exactly like Melee.

Speaking of Melee, the roster will include many of the Melee characters, with the exception of GAW, Mewtwo, Doc, Fox, Roy, Marth and Ice Climbers. Also, the DS version is getting WINDWAKER/PHANTOM HOURGLASS Link! There will be a few other important changes, so lets list them:

No GAW
No Doc
No IC
No Mewtwo
LINK -> WW LINK
Addition of Vaati, Jake, Issac, Hector, Lucario, Felix, Pit, Diddy, Nook, Toad [WTF], Tetra, Wario.
Luigi's and Mario's moves will ALLEGEDLY resemble his M&L moves.
Peach uses Super Princess Peach style moves.

These characters are supposedly available from the start: Mario, Luigi, WW Link, C Falc, Ness, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, DK, Issac, and Kirby.

And of course the unlockables: Vaati, Lucario, Hector, Jake, Pit, Diddy, Felix, Nook, Toad, Metaknight, Tetra, Wario, and Jigglypuff.

Confirmed not in the game [by my mate]: Third party characters, Bomberman, FF Characters, Pokemon Trainer, Zelda [and therefore Shiek], Pheonix Wright, Elite Beat Agents.

That makes 14 characters available from the get go, and thirteen unlockable, making a final total of 27 characters in this game.

==============================================================

Other things...there will be no assist trophies and regular trophies in this game. Instead, there will be collectable cards similar to how trophies were in Melee. You can buy booster packs at the Smash Shop. You will also be able to purchase unlocked characters here after meeting the requirements.

There will be a total of 20 stages, with 10 of them having to be unlocked. Final Destination and Battlefield have been preserved.

The graphics will look like Melee, with a slight downgrade due to technological restraints. It will play like melee. It will have a touch screen interface for menus, minigames, and viewing your cards, but the game will be played on the top screen with information like percents, stocks, and time limits shown on the bottom. There will also be an "alert" icon for stages that change when theyre about to change.

Instead of Final Smash's this game supports touchscreen Smashes, called Engagements. Basically, upon collecting a new item called the Dueling Flag, you can use it to Engage your opponent in a direct duel. The touchscreen will be used in this, but I dont know how. These can be turned off.

The game is heavily focused on one on one combat [hence the name Duel]. The announcement said that they "wanted to recreate Melee in the palm of your hand". That means that they recognized the fact that certain moves are used by Smashers that werent originally intended, and will be preserved for this game. That is why we might still see wavedashing, L-cancelling, and other advanced smash moves in this game. 4-Player support will still be added.

Speaking of multiplayer, there WILL be Wi-fi play for this game. However, online play will be reduced to trading cards and two player duels. Four player combat is done by linking up your DSes through Wi-Fi. To do this, everyone needs their own SSBD card. For players without an SSBD card playing in Wi-Fi, they get to use the character Shy-Guy. I guess they did this with MarioKart too, so its probably part of a running gag. It would be funny to see someone master Shy-Guy though :p.

I will add more information as it comes.

This is the link to the announcement: www.nintendo.com/duel

EDIT: To those who preorder, a Red and Black DS with the Smash Ball logo on the back will be available...to those willing to spend the extra money.

:D {This thread is not real. It was simply a way for me to show off my own personal idea for an awesome DS Smash game. I hope you enjoyed reading it. :p

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yea........its a lie....nice try..........well.....not really...

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
*sigh*

Awesome I didn't read the post and went straight to the link.. Though you half got me, I'll give you one prop for it.

-Onyx

Revak

Smash Apprentice
Honestly it was a good read though. Must of taken a while to write that up. Or whoever you copied it from.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
You know what? I knew it would be a lie so I didn't even bother to read it all (although it looks interesting and also tempting for noobs). And now guess what? I didn't click on the link, but I checked the bottom left of the window for the REAL link. You got rick rolled, eh? Next time, make up a better lie. But props to you for writing all of this even if it didn't really contribute to your measly ego. Try again next time.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
hey it's a good idea, even though it is a lie
original ideas earn my respect

Top Bottom