• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros on NA Virtual Console Today!

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Sounds pretty amazing control wise. Yes it would be nice if they added melee functions from melee. But this is still a pretty cool thing!

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
Just played it....Gotta say it's friking awesome and it's even more with the gc controllers rofl...

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I like using the GameCube controller better too. I have lots of mint condition N64 pads but the GameCube one just feels better for the Smash Bros. games in my extremely humble opinion.

I also think it's FANTASTIC that all the Smash games can be played on a single console now! It's just like when my friends get together to play the 4 main Mario Karts on the Wii we can also play all three Super Smash Bros. on that same system.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The original Super Smash Bros. on the N64 and now on the Wii VC isn’t as epic in scope as either Melee or Brawl but it’s still INCREDIBLY fun as a multiplayer game. That’s reason enough for every Brawl or Melee fan to play it at least once and for only 10 bucks the game is a mega bargain. Consider that the original SSB cartridges generally trade hands for around 20 dollars and you begin to realize what a sweet deal Nintendo is offering Wii owners.

Again, being able to finally play the original SSB with the same interface (the spectacular GameCube controller) as Melee and Brawl is simply icing on the cake.

Last but not least, there’s talk that the Virtual Console version of SSB does not suffer any slowdown in 4-player mode. That in my mind makes it the definitive version that any self respecting Super Smash Bros. fanatic, such as myself, should own.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The original Super Smash Bros. on the N64 and now on the Wii VC isn’t as epic in scope as either Melee or Brawl but it’s still INCREDIBLY fun as a multiplayer game.

That in my mind makes it the definitive version that any self respecting Super Smash Bros. fanatic, such as myself, should own.
you're not a real smash fanatic if you don't think the original smash bros is better than melee or brawl.

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
my bro says i'm a tool because i play 64
and 64 > GC for this gaem, the only reason I'd buy it on the wii is because I don't have a PC adapter to record so if I ever got a cc

tl;dr
n64 pad > gc pad

dch111

Smash Journeyman
There are some things I like about Melee. Like how every one of Marth's aerials looks like a work of art. Link in 64 didn't satisfy my cravings for sword duels.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
N64 is amazing but I won't say it's better than melee but it's a game you can't bash from the smash games it's much better than brawl and I prefer melee's speed and C-stick yes I roll that way.

I think melee isn't overrated if anything I think underrated. melee is just barely better than 64

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You guys aren't going to get anywhere arguing opinions.

I like melee and 64 pritty evenly and have been playing them both competitively for about the same time period.

DMoogle

A$
If Melee had the online capability that SSB currently has, I wonder how much more/less I would like it...

Brawl is underrated (at least in this forum). Take that, jerks.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
smash 64 = combo power house
melee = combos but when compared to smash 64 it's laughable at best.
brawl = unfortunately, no combos.

I play Melee too and I think Smash 64 > Melee

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
But in melee you have to read peoples DI to continue a combo. It's whatever, I like 64 players and I hate arguing with y'all. It's all opinion.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
But in melee you have to read peoples DI to continue a combo. It's whatever, I like 64 players and I hate arguing with y'all. It's all opinion.
There's DI in smash 64, people read DI in order to continue combos too.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Because the word “I” does not exist

Is this thread about Super Smash Bros. finally being available on the Virtual Console or about which version in the series is the best? I suspect it doesn’t really matter which version got you interested in the series or personally prefer as long as you show each iteration the respect it so richly deserves. The original game is great fun and has enough diversity in character selection to offer most players an option that suits their style. It’s also nice to see how the series got started to fully appreciate how far it has come.

Here’s a video of the great Bruce Lee explaining how a Smash Bros. fight should really be played. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxc0ovseeEg

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Is this thread about Super Smash Bros. finally being available on the Virtual Console or about which version in the series is the best? I suspect it doesn’t really matter which version got you interested in the series or personally prefer as long as you show each iteration the respect it so richly deserves. The original game is great fun and has enough diversity in character selection to offer most players an option that suits their style. It’s also nice to see how the series got started to fully appreciate how far it has come.

Here’s a video of the great Bruce Lee explaining how a Smash Bros. fight should really be played. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxc0ovseeEg
I'll try to do some equivalence

SSB64 = Home Alone 1 = The original, the one and only, the best
Melee = Home Alone 2 = great but its still a modified version of the original
Barwl = Home Alone 3 = Wow, it suxorz.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
IMO it took out a lot of the good things of ssb64, and you need insane finger skills to do well competitively.
wat

that says nothing about why people think Melee is overrated.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm fine with people who like Melee over Brawl, it just bugs me though when they baash brawl more and call it a bad game when it really isn't. Still a **** fun game. All the smashes are.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
with the use of homebrew hacks...is there a way to install mupen64k and have it connect online with pc users...anyone in the community even tinkering with this yet

Top Bottom