• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Unity (SSBU) [Project In Hibernation]

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
[Title is subject to change...]
Origin
Game was on original response to the Rayman "Leak" video (which is a year ago from now but I stopped after the first month or so, till I picked it back up a few weeks ago), I have been developing this ever since and remained wary of showing it to the public, till now. My goal here is that after I mastered creating all the basic mechanics on one fighter, it should be easier to add more, provided the models and their animations.

Media

The Plan
As of now, I will primarily continue on the fighter behaviors.
To be done before new characters can be added, (Actually, I need one more for now* due to the limited/slow creation of animations that Rayman currently has, also to compare):
  • Shield* -- missing shield break to stun effect, otherwise it is almost complete, don't know when it will be fully done
  • Ledge Grab* -- main part complete (hang and get up), needs attack, roll, and jump up
  • More Air attacks -- I have them set up but no animations mean no way to see if they work
  • Literally all the Specials -- I have them set up but again no way of testing it out for the same reason
  • Grab -- might be complicated, Idk I haven't attempted it yet
  • More of the other stuff as well but I'm lazy to list them :L
* Top priority atm...

I will be slowly working on this as it is interfered with my school and life.

You can help too!
I will mostly be working on the game mechanics more than the aesthetic (though I did have a bit of fun creating the directional indicators and the ring-out effects) You will be seeing the standard stock, single block stage and cylinder revival platform. I am willing to accept any original, something you created and new, not ripped, models and textures of the following I just stated I'm missing in this paragraph, plus:
  • Certain effects such as random smoke, some "air-cutting" streaks/swipes/slices, maybe a way to refine my particle effects if you feel you can do better.
  • Background of this stage (The idea of the scene used was suppose to be the "Deserts of Didgeridoo" in Rayman Origins)
  • Some UI/HUD bits? I don't have a menu made so ignore that part, just in-game stuff
  • Maybe more? I can only think of those above. Concept art can work too. Concept anything.
In terms of particles, I will soon provide a method that would help you choose which coloring method for which type of particle so you know how to draw it out or color it.

* When talking about new characters, I planned to add video game characters that are not part of the Official Smash game and can originate from another console. Characters like Rayman (A trophy), Waluigi (Assist Trophy), did show up in some way of the game but aren't playable so they are good examples of some that can be added. Try your best to use moves that are used in their game realm, if there isn't a specific move that can't fill in a certain control, make one up that would make sense.

Here is my short list of ideas in my opinion:
  • Agent J (Elite Beat Agents), other characters from the game can be the other skins similar to Bowser Jr. and his skins
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot series)
  • Spyro (Spyro the Dragon series)
  • Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank series), I don't care if he was used in Playstation Allstars Battle Royal, I feel his moves from his games can work in Smash format
  • Juan Aguacate (Guacamelee!) his attacks and specials are so obvious, but how he looks in 3D?
I need your understanding of the game!
I also have a few questions about the SSB4 mechanics that the wiki doesn't provide, mostly one that, after getting hit, the receiver physics seems to change when its in the air so that it seems lighter than their platforming gravity acceleration and slows down in air. Atm, I have physics doing its thing using the same platforming gravity which look okay, but it in terms of kill percents, its off. Can someone confirm this for me and maybe tell me a way in terms of how to replicate it? You don't need to understand programming in order to explain it.

Discord (<Link)
You can sort of join the group here on Discord (you may log in without having to register just to talk about it but you need to if you want to be part of the project) but I'm trying this out for the first time so its a temporary thing for now. You may leave a message there and stuff, you don't even have to register for an account, just make sure your name you use to message matches you in some way.

I am usually on around 10 am to 10 pm EST.

If there is anything you don't understand about what I said here, please speak up so I can modify this post for future viewers to understand better/less confusion. Tell me if I confused on something and help me understand.

Last edited:

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
Got shields working to a point where the shield break would completely finish the shielding section

Shielding and its Drain

Shields on two players and hitting a shield both late shield and perfect shield

You guys know how they are suppose to work, its just missing the consequence part of it.
Ledge grab animation are coming for Rayman, I wished a few more animations were done but I guess its best to wait, while waiting I can fix/optimize the code.

Again, most likely the coding has been done and I am just wait for the animations. It would be great if you guys contributed for other vg characters, they don't even have to be finished, but at least worked on occasionally.

Onmishift

Smash Rookie
Got shields working to a point where the shield break would completely finish the shielding section

Shielding and its Drain

Shields on two players and hitting a shield both late shield and perfect shield

You guys know how they are suppose to work, its just missing the consequence part of it.
Ledge grab animation are coming for Rayman, I wished a few more animations were done but I guess its best to wait, while waiting I can fix/optimize the code.

Again, most likely the coding has been done and I am just wait for the animations. It would be great if you guys contributed for other vg characters, they don't even have to be finished, but at least worked on occasionally.

You need animations?
Add me on skype
- onmishift
Or email me
- onmishift@hotmail.com

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Pretty nice, I like the slow down feature as well. The only nitpick I have is how long the slow down is. I feel it should only go for a second or 2 or until right after the opponent starts to suffer knockback.

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
Pretty nice, I like the slow down feature as well. The only nitpick I have is how long the slow down is. I feel it should only go for a second or 2 or until right after the opponent starts to suffer knockback.
I would have that as a setting if you want to change the slomo-effect if those don't want a cinematic ending or want to make it shorter. What i wanted to do with this feature is at that slowmotion period, the camera would change angle for the close up of the final blow. Thanks for the comment.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
I know nothing about computer code and couldn't help you much, but this looks great and I wish you luck on completing it! :)

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
Sort of a mini update
I have the Offscreen Camera/Magnifier working

As well as the fading of the individual fighter info thing

Its not so much but these are essential to the gameplay

Trying my best to do other things while I wait for the rest of animations. Not sure if I'm missing anything else major in the HUD, I feel I got everything (ignoring the pause game for now), tell me if I did. I may start on the menus after I add a little more visuals in the game such as the white streaks after every strong hit (cuz i liek doez) and get the basic following done: character selection and setting's menu (generally the controls for now).

Remember I can accept any character that you are currently working or finished (in terms of animations, assuming that the model is final or may have little edits here and there) on that follows the requirements above.

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
Here is some new animations that just came in:

[gifs may or may not play at the speed of gameplay]

showing off the ledge grab and climb up mechanics.
We are slowly getting there. A small group working our best atm, still can accept people to join the project to help in someway. Maybe move set idea's for Rayman cause we are currently ignoring that for now to work on the basic behaviors.

Last edited:

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
I would post a moveset, but I don't know anything about Rayman. At the least I will throw some moveset ideas at you for characters I do know

Last edited:

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
I would post a moveset, but I don't know anything about Rayman. At the least I will throw some moveset ideas at you for characters I do know
Most of rayman's normal attacks are kind of obvious if you have played origins and legends before. His specials however is the real stumper, other than up special being his helicopter hair, idk what should be the others.

Maybe you have an idea of a move set for crash bandicoot as alternative, like omnishift said?

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
Sadly I don't have a crash bandicoot moveset as I don't know much about him either. I might do some research on potential rayman specials for you though.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Found this on Google if you want Rayman ideas.

Last edited:

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
Found this on Google if you want Rayman ideas.
That is.. wonderful. I guess we sorta followed the idea for the normal attacks. There are some that we could probably slightly modify. But we will look at the specials especially since those are more orientated from where he originates from.

For some reason google doesn't show the same set of images per user which sucks but hey you found one. Only I was searching and nothing like this showed up before. One of my project members just searched now and found another.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
When I saw the title I assumed this was some kind of "Super Smash Mugen" but in unity...

Oh well, I can at least hope then that Shantae is considered, good luck by the way! It looks like it's coming along fine!

pinballdude97

Smash Rookie
When I saw the title I assumed this was some kind of "Super Smash Mugen" but in unity...

Oh well, I can at least hope then that Shantae is considered, good luck by the way! It looks like it's coming along fine!
Well one of my ideas was something like that of mugen, the title isn't so helpful on what this project's purpose is, but before I can let that happen, I need to make sure 1 or 2 characters can be easily produced in the game or maybe even more. But the fact that I only have one animator as of now, the process of producing a character versus the amount of time to program a basic fighter behavior is pretty low. Most of the generic actions are already programmed but the character to test it on is not fully finished. I don't know when is the next set/single anim is coming next. All I know is that when it comes, I can immediately place hitboxes on it and test the attacks, balancing is later when at least 4 characters are in.

Again if anyone has a finished animated character they would like to share, you can post here or PM me if you feel that is the way for you.

Top Bottom