• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
I registered just so I can post about this game. First, may I say this is a fantastic concept that is perfectly executed. It's fun to play, the music is enjoyable, the characters are (mostly) balanced and interesting, and it feels like a game that should be on the Gameboy Classic. not to sound corny, but it makes me well up with manly tears whenever I see the trailer.

With that said, I have some suggestions to offer to improve the quality of any updates you may decide to do. Consider it, ignore it, call me a scrub or noob for it, whichever. I'm simply offering up ideas that might improve the gameplay.

Now, when I make these suggestions, I am assuming the select screen will remain the same size. If you look closely you'll see there is room for two more characters. I offer these suggestions when deciding who to add, if you decide to add any at all.

1. In your first post, you made it sound like the game was meant to be the predecessor to Smash bros. 64, meaning it won't have all the features and aspects of that game. This means a lot of things in the game could be considered improvements over this one. Shields for example. I understand you are against the idea of shields, but there is a way to have blocking in the game without using any extra buttons or button combos. When the player ducks, if they are attacked during that time, all damage is negated and all flinch/knockback force is negated, meaning they can immediately retaliate. In terms of Gamemaker, the transitioning animation between the player standing and the player ducking could have an event handler that checks for any combat damage done. You could make it so only standing -> ducking checks and not ducking ->standing. This also means air dodging/blocking can't happen- all blocking is on the ground.

2. Stemming from the idea this game was "released" before smash 64, characters released are important. Decide a "release" date for the game. I think Pokemon is the youngest franchise out of the characters, so maybe the same year Pokemon was release (1996? 94? Christ that was long ago. ._.; ). This means only characters who have games released on the gameboy classic, and have been released before Pokemon, can be used. Did Donkey Kong have a game before 1996 on the Gameboy classic? What about Metaknight? Yoshi? This limits characters SEVERELY, and unfortunately it means a lot of characters can't be considered (sorry Geno fans). Next, only main protagonists can be considered. The two pokemon characters can slide by this because they can be seen as included to "promote" the "new" Pokemon Red and Blue games that came out. I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but don't add more Pokemon. Villains are out because those are introduced in Melee, and secondary characters aren't considered because those are introduced in 64 (jigglypuff, Luigi).

So, only characters who:
1. have a game on the original Gameboy.
2. Were released before a fixed date (1996 for example)
3. Are the protagonist and main character. Not "or", "AND"

This makes it a lot easier to decide who to add as new characters. With all that said, I strongly suggest searching for fan favorites. Adding Megaman was a stroke of marketing genius- you added a character people wanted to see in Smash Bros. If you want more fans, more donations, and a following, find two more characters that people have wanted in smash bros. that fit the three limitations listed above. Include NO clones (i.e. Dr. Mario/Luigi to Mario) and limit duplicates of the same fighting style. Each character should have a unique feel. Pikachu is super fast, kirby's light and evasive, mario's balanced, Link's bulky and strong, etc. A character who specializes in projectiles and a mighty glacier would be good recommendations. If you want minimalistic, only include one character from each franchise, unless the character had their own branch off. (Wario maybe? Maybe not, I don't know. :x ) Need a character to start off? Master Higgens from Adventure island II. THe franchise was founded before 1996, he's the protagonist and main character, he had a game for the original gameboy. You're choice, but it's an idea. Samus is also a good start. Her Metroid 2 was released before Pokemon, and she's established as the main character/protagonist before the gameboy.

3. Include one level from each franchise included. one Mario level, one Pokemon Level, one Kirby level, etc. Include one (unlockable) UNIQUE level, meaning only for smash land does it exist. The Battlefield is perfect- make it an unlockable (kill 50 guys on endless mode maybe?) and you have that down.

These are just some ideas I feel could make the game better while sticking with your original vision. Now, stuff like online multiplayer or sound/music tests for people who just love the songs is a must even if the normal Gameboy couldn't do that (a trade link maybe), but ultimately it should play like something people will think was official. Take with this what you will, I'm just glad to share it. I can't wait for more updates, and props for adding in one of my favorite pokemon as an unlockable. Did not see that coming. XD

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
1&2. Actually, in this fictional continuity, SSL was released after SSB64. So it's a worse game, but only because it was made for the gameboy. It's a late release, like Okami was for the PS2, hehe.

3. There are indeed unique levels for SSL. Unless you mean a stage that has no franchise? Like its franchise was simply "Smashland"? The Battlefield does that, it's an unlockable stage already. Unless you mean one unique to Smashland and no other Smash games?

... I can't really understand your question :/ I hope Dan does.

Still, thank you very much for your post. This game deserves all your praise though :D I love it too.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I like how this game made his own place between the Crusade Vs SSF 2 battle. It haves that unique touch that only "old" games haves. This game is well made, i can bet a smash game would have been like this in game boy, praises man, you have a great game here.

Also, TOWER OF HEAVEN!!! OUKSVBÑSBÑAN[A]A]VM BM]KBNOSD BJK:ÑBL[SANB

Tetiro

Smash Ace
All this talk of Smash Land has gotten me wanting to finish off my Isaac sprite sheet. Expect it finished soon. I think I may campaign to bring Isaac to the clash of the Smash Land lol

Also I've offered 4Nace my spriting services and if he accepts a remake of Smash Land if it was for the Game Boy Color. A remake of a demake. That would be mad lol

EDIT: My fan spriting is almost done. It's been a few months since I started. And now it's 95% done. Few updates to the animations, organise the sheet properly and it'll be done

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Awesome work Tetiro. Fan-made smash characters would be AMAZING to have later on :D good to see you're still eager to work.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Awesome work Tetiro. Fan-made smash characters would be AMAZING to have later on :D good to see you're still eager to work.
Thanks BigLord. I told Dan that he should probably try and add 1 more character to the roster (jokily hinting at Isaac lol) because I researched the game boy's and nes' hardware limitations for my final year project and realistically, Dan would be able to add ONE more character to the roster. Plus it would make the roster a handsome number.

Going back to Isaac. Here's something I don't understand. In Brawl they had c****y characters like Rob and Lucario but chose to make Isaac a assist trophy character where as Isaac would've been amazing. That's why many people like me fight so damn hard to bring Isaac to the fight. Golden Sun has been an exclusive Nintendo thing since Game Boy Advance and all he got is a Assist Trophy and a music track. Actually alot of my other gamer friends agree that Isaac should've got a slot in Brawl's roster

@ Dan - A few of my friends have said Mario is a bit unbalanced in the negative. I can see their point

EDIT: It's done. After months of spriting, Isaac from Golden Sun finally has a Super Smash Brothers sprite sheet. It's the only one on the internet to current knowledge. Treasure it well Dan. And thus ends my reign of Isaac. Dan, the sheet is now yours to deal as you please. If you wish to bring Isaac to the Land, my sprites are yours to use and it would be a great honour for them and Isaac to be used. If you wish for them to be eye candy for the project, feel free to. My last bit on Isaac is more about Isaac's love by many and my end of Isaac campaign lol. Maybe I'll run a Final Destination campaign instead lol

http://ssbcforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ssbcgcd&action=display&thread=562
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Isaac-for-Super-Smash-Brothers-4/280064365342820?sk=wall
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/490171/results (Check Misc section)

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I read this and couldn't stop myself from replying:
In Brawl they had c****y characters like Rob and Lucario
c****y characters like Rob
It's almost sad how many people don't understand why R.O.B. is in Brawl, or even why he exists. R.O.B. saved the entire video game industry back in 1985. If it weren't for R.O.B., we probably wouldn't have video games today because the market for them would've died out and making them would've been a profitless venture. And that's just the tl;dr version of R.O.B.'s story.

On the other hand, GameFreak told Sakurai that if he didn't add Lucario into Brawl they'd retract all of his team's rights to using any Pokemon in Brawl. So it was either add Lucario or take out Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and all the Pokeballs. Which do you think was the better choice?

To counter a couple other points:
Golden Sun has been an exclusive Nintendo thing since Game Boy Advance and all he got is a Assist Trophy and a music track.
R.O.B. and Pokemon are Nintendo-exclusive as well. R.O.B. since 1985, Pokemon since 1995. Golden Sun didn't save the video game industry though; R.O.B. did.

Anyways sorry for that rant it just bugs me when people say "R.O.B.'s a crappy WTF character he shouldn't be in brawl over all these other amazing characters because he was a crappy toy that got two games".

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
ROB had a part in NES history, but let's face it: it was a crappy accessory.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I read this and couldn't stop myself from replying:

It's almost sad how many people don't understand why R.O.B. is in Brawl, or even why he exists. R.O.B. saved the entire video game industry back in 1985. If it weren't for R.O.B., we probably wouldn't have video games today because the market for them would've died out and making them would've been a profitless venture. And that's just the tl;dr version of R.O.B.'s story.

On the other hand, GameFreak told Sakurai that if he didn't add Lucario into Brawl they'd retract all of his team's rights to using any Pokemon in Brawl. So it was either add Lucario or take out Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and all the Pokeballs. Which do you think was the better choice?

To counter a couple other points:

R.O.B. and Pokemon are Nintendo-exclusive as well. R.O.B. since 1985, Pokemon since 1995. Golden Sun didn't save the video game industry though; R.O.B. did.

Anyways sorry for that rant it just bugs me when people say "R.O.B.'s a crappy WTF character he shouldn't be in brawl over all these other amazing characters because he was a crappy toy that got two games".
I'm not denying R.O.B. I study game dev and am 100% aware he saved the industry. I just think his moveset was dreadful. As was Lucario and Olimar. If R.O.B had a more balanced moveset, I'd back off. Maybe if they were like Meta Knight. Oh wait :p

EDIT: Decided to create the Final Destination. Why? Because it doesn't feel right if it's not in Smash Land

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I'm okay with having a final destination, just don't call it "Final Destination".

Why? Because then we would have a smashland exclusive map :p

You could call it the "Smashboards arena" hahaha :lol: :laugh:

4nace

Smash Ace
when is the open source coming?
Hey all, I know I haven't been online / around much since the game launched. Been spending time working and playing games online with my friends from home. Also my time working on Smash land has basically come to an end. I have been spending some nights cleaning up the engine, but I am getting ready to move the game over to an SSF2 model. I am going to then promote a couple admins who have access the source and then others can sprite and share ideas.

The engine is going to take a decent amount of time to get prepped though. Basically I want to get it so adding characters should be pretty easy even for those without too much Game Maker experience. I am also trying to comment most everything up so people can read through the scripts and figure out what is going on.

I predict it will take me at least another month or more to get the engine as malable as I want it. Then I will probably ask here if I could get its own board in the Smash Workshop, like Customized Content etc. and then I'd name it Smash Boards Land. Otherwise, I guess we'd go the free forum route.

But in the meantime, feel free to try spriting out your favorite characters like Tetiro has. You can draw up stages as well if you like. I had a great time working on Smash Land and I plan to keep my own vision intact and online (with the original name) but with the simplicity of the sprites and the characters as well as the consistency 4 colors grants, I think a great fan-project can come out of this.

-Dan

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey all, I know I haven't been online / around much since the game launched. Been spending time working and playing games online with my friends from home. Also my time working on Smash land has basically come to an end. I have been spending some nights cleaning up the engine, but I am getting ready to move the game over to an SSF2 model. I am going to then promote a couple admins who have access the source and then others can sprite and share ideas.

The engine is going to take a decent amount of time to get prepped though. Basically I want to get it so adding characters should be pretty easy even for those without too much Game Maker experience. I am also trying to comment most everything up so people can read through the scripts and figure out what is going on.

I predict it will take me at least another month or more to get the engine as malable as I want it. Then I will probably ask here if I could get its own board in the Smash Workshop, like Customized Content etc. and then I'd name it Smash Boards Land. Otherwise, I guess we'd go the free forum route.

But in the meantime, feel free to try spriting out your favorite characters like Tetiro has. You can draw up stages as well if you like. I had a great time working on Smash Land and I plan to keep my own vision intact and online (with the original name) but with the simplicity of the sprites and the characters as well as the consistency 4 colors grants, I think a great fan-project can come out of this.

-Dan
Hey Dan, here's a suggestion. How about I try adding a character in the open source file and then can give you feedback on how easy it is to add new characters. If I can do it, I'm sure I could help by writing a tutorial.

If you can get a Smash Board for SSL, I'd be more than happy to help you out. Least I can do for your great help.

Awesome I got noticed lol. I've been drawing up the Final Destination from N64 to go with the N64 stages you already have. It's almost done actually Dan. Once it's done, feel free to add it.

I agree, a great fan project can be made. And I'd be more than happy to help. Just as long as we keep the characters nintendo exclusive. If I had a £5 for every smash project with a non nintendo exclusive character, I'd be a very rich man.

Also, what do you think of the finished art sprites? They were a b**** to do.

Question. What's the max height in pixels the character sprites can be? I fancy doing another sprite sheet

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well if Dan would like my aid, I'd be honored to. He's done alot for me and so it would be fair.

Btw, on a whim I've been spriting Professor Layton as if he were in Smash Land. Anyone like to see?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Well if Dan would like my aid, I'd be honored to. He's done alot for me and so it would be fair.

Btw, on a whim I've been spriting Professor Layton as if he were in Smash Land. Anyone like to see?
My body is ready.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well here's my start on the Layton sheet. It's nowhere near finished. I'll be working on it more after I've finished my preparations for the Nintendo Community Fangame Convention

Tetiro

Smash Ace
It's meant to be an anime like speech thing. We know Layton has almost no weapons minus a metal pipe from the Eternal Diva and a sword from Pandora's Box game. So I though using his expressions as his attacks.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
THANK YOU! I'm a TVtropes addict myself!

As for the image, I think a better one would be of the "Just an Image and a Caption" variety. But I can't think of a really good one right now.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I go to TVtropes as well. I try not to open too many tabs.

4nace

Smash Ace
Progress is slow. By the way Tetiro, could you leave your gchat email / an email you use dropbox on for me? I am ready to ramp off smash land and onto a new project, so if you would like a shot at adding a character, its now or never =P.

1.1 could be out this week, but no huge updates, just lots of little fixes and some nice small improvements. If it does come out then I will make an announcement here.

-Dan

4nace

Smash Ace
Build 1.1 Has been Released! Wooohhh. It features some nice little updates including:
  • 2 New Score Types to Submit (in the upper left corners of their menus)
  • Mario and Vaporeon Buffs (Mario might be OP in 1v1 now but I will fix that if people play 1v1 still)
  • Many Bugfixes
  • New Game Over Song for Arcade
  • Graphical Cue for strong knockback

Head over to the site to play now:
http://www.supersmashland.com

This may very well be the last official Super Smash Land build. I have accepted Tetiro into the source project and he is going to poke around the engine and see if he can understand it. I am ramping up for a new project, so I don't think I will have the time to work with an online programmer or make the engine truly accessible / open source.

But we'll see. Maybe I'll start commenting up the code and be able to accept more programmers / artists.

-Dan

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yay, the "final" version of the game!

I hope a lot of mods get done now, then! This should be great :)

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Will you be doing that extra project with L-canceling and stuff you were talking about a few pages back?

4nace

Smash Ace
Actually i think i still will be. I actually had in the engine you coul L-cancel with attack to cancel landing lag on aerials, but it doesnt really fit in the game now because everything else is pretty slow and deliberate. I think i might go back and speed everything up x2 and then make everything cancellable. I might even add a frame where ground attacks can be cancelled into jump (combo manniaaa). But no time planned for that as it will be a joke build but I would be interested in trying it out anyway. =)

-Dan

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Actually i think i still will be. I actually had in the engine you coul L-cancel with attack to cancel landing lag on aerials, but it doesnt really fit in the game now because everything else is pretty slow and deliberate. I think i might go back and speed everything up x2 and then make everything cancellable. I might even add a frame where ground attacks can be cancelled into jump (combo manniaaa). But no time planned for that as it will be a joke build but I would be interested in trying it out anyway. =)

-Dan
Honestly Dan, I think you should leave the build as it is. It works. It may quite complicated in terms of coding, but it works beautifully. Plus isn't the point of the game to be a demake? Putting a new button going to contradict the rules?

And yes people, I have been given the open source. I am using my knowledge to poke around and I've started to implement the Venus Adapt, Isaac of Golden Sun!

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I made the Project M page on TV Tropes a while back. Feel free to contribute!

4nace

Smash Ace
Greetings all! Super Smash Land is nominated in JayIsGames top games of 2011 under the Indie Arcade Category! You can head to http://jayisgames.com/best-of/​2011/indie/arcade/ and vote ONCE PER DAY! If you check that box at the top, you will also vote for it for Game of the Year. If you enjoyed the game then please take a second to vote. It's just a simple click, no sign-up required. If it does win the 2011 Best for Arcade Indie games then I will be releasing a celebretory update with a new stage. If it makes it into the top 5 for the year, then I will take the time and release a new character! So vote away!

Top Bottom