• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Speed jump-cancelable into B-Reverse/Turnaround B Explosive Flame

joniho

Smash Cadet
(Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it with the Search function.)

You may already know that you can cancel a normal dash into Explosive Flame, but did you know you can jump-cancel Super Speed into Explosive Flame? Not only that, but into a B-Reverse or Turnaround B Explosive Flame too?

B-Reverse: reverse direction and momentum
Turnaround B: reverse direction but not momentum

First, a couple interesting qualities about Explosive Flame and Super Speed:

Neutral B-2: Explosive Flame (爆炎)
- This is B-Reversible; when you B-Reverse it, the "flicker" will stay in the direction you were facing while the explosion will occur on the opposite side. On its own, you cannot do a Turnaround B.
- Using it immediately after jumping from the ground will drop Palutena back down (this will be relevant for the technique below)

Side B-3: Super Speed (超速ダッシュ)
- As most of you may already know, you can jump-cancel this.
- You can jump-cancel Super Speed immediately into Explosive Flame.
- You can either do a Turnaround B (reverse direction but not momentum), or a B-Reverse (reverse direction and momentum). It's hard to explain the timing, but inputting the opposite direction RIGHT after neutral B will do a Turnaround B, whereas doing the input a hair later will do a B-Reverse.

Something I like to do is a rushdown with Super Speed through the opponent, then cancel into a rear-facing Explosive Flame behind me while they're still stunned or shielding from the Super Speed.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
This sounds really nice. Take that, Explosive Flame naysayers : p

btw, is there a video showing this technique anywhere?

Last edited:

OnePostWonder

Smash Rookie
Some Super Speed bull****, can combo into all air moves, also gives Neutral B weird ****ing properties.
Jump-cancelling Side B after hit makes it safe on block, higher percentages shoot people at like a 20 degree angle so requires double jump at times. At very high percentages Palu can carry people with the momentum using Nair, looks cool as ****.
First and last post; Palu boards are just waifufagging bs

watch?v=XLk6Wia9TrE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Some Super Speed bull****, can combo into all air moves, also gives Neutral B weird ****ing properties.
Jump-cancelling Side B after hit makes it safe on block, higher percentages shoot people at like a 20 degree angle so requires double jump at times. At very high percentages Palu can carry people with the momentum using Nair, looks cool as ****.
First and last post; Palu boards are just waifufagging bs

watch?v=XLk6Wia9TrE&feature=youtu.be
Fixed for those who may not have been able to see this :o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLk6Wia9TrE&feature=youtu.be

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So how does this technique work?

Start the Super Speed, then input a jump and quickly input the move you want to jump cancel?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yep, more the reason for Palutena to have her customs legal. It opens the door to so many interesting styles and combinations, not to mention all of her customs are available at the start iirc. I'm definitely gonna have a speed build for all these silly and deadly things. Pretty much I'm sure I'll be trying her out in Training Mode a lot once I get the game, and see what happens. <3
Keep it up with these heavenly Palutena finds! I may have a question or 2 about a few things, too.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Fascinating. Might really consider using this to give momentum-based attacking strings and reverses. Super Speed could really use being legal for Palutena.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Super Speed does give you a lot of options.

The best ones are the B-Reversal detailed above, cross up BAir (kill move), Nair (use on people standing on platforms to suck them in and eject them for a kill) and DAir from my experience. I'm very fond of the DAir as if you space it right, you should just clip their shield and be relatively safe & if it connects, they must tech immediately or you can chase/follow up in the air.

Last edited:

joniho

Smash Cadet
So how does this technique work?

Start the Super Speed, then input a jump and quickly input the move you want to jump cancel?
Exactly. There are actually 4 components to this:
1) Inputting the opposite direction immediately after using Neutral B. If done correctly, you will see the "flicker" before Palutena turns around, and the explosion will happen on the opposite side.
2) Using Neutral B immediately after a jump. If done correctly, Palutena will drop after jumping a very short distance.
3) Using 1 and 2 in the middle of Super Speed. You can first practice using 2 with Super Speed, then add the turn element when you feel comfortable.
4) Choosing to do a Turnaround B and B-Reverse (very tricky, as it depends on how close the inputs of B and the opposite direction are)

And just a comment about doing the Turnaround B above (where you keep sliding in the same direction but leave an Explosive Flame in your wake): you CAN slide off the stage, so be careful not to SD!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Does anyone know the exact cooldown length on Super Speed? I know that after you use it once there's a pretty significant amount of time before you can use it again (which is too bad, I was really excited when I figured out you could jump and combo out of it last night)

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
SS doesn't have a long cool down; about 5 seconds at most. The countdown starts after SS ends.

One thing I ended up doing that I found interesting was the B Reversal, but instead of taking the momentum and facing backward, I still took the momentum backward and shot the flame forward; Basically a B Reversal+Turn- A combination of the two. I was only able to get it off about 3 times in the hour I was messing around with it, but essentially this lets you hit with Super Speed and then from the point where you hit the person with SS you can B Reversal AND Turn it. It's actually a combo. Cool ****... Extremely hard on the DS. If that's hard to understand just imagine a "7" type motion. It's almost like super speed knocks them into the flame.

It's probably unnecessary and mostly just flashy since you could always just Super Speed through the person and turn around to get a similar situation. but I think just doing a turnaround would knock them out of the blast range before it could hit at higher percents.

Last edited:

joniho

Smash Cadet
One thing I ended up doing that I found interesting was the B Reversal, but instead of taking the momentum and facing backward, I still took the momentum backward and shot the flame forward; Basically a B Reversal+Turn- A combination of the two. I was only able to get it off about 3 times in the hour I was messing around with it, but essentially this lets you hit with Super Speed and then from the point where you hit the person with SS you can B Reversal AND Turn it. It's actually a combo. Cool ****... Extremely hard on the DS. If that's hard to understand just imagine a "7" type motion. It's almost like super speed knocks them into the flame.
Sounds like a Wavebounce, where you reverse your momentum but not your direction. Very cool!

For executing it during Super Speed, I have a feeling that you have to input two directions very quickly after B.

Last edited:

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a Wavebounce, where you reverse your momentum but not your direction. Very cool!

For executing it during Super Speed, I have a feeling that you have to input two directions very quickly after B.
Uh yeah I think that's what it's called. Yeah you just mash left and right (or vice versa). It gets a lot easier if you wait about a half second after SS hits the person or another way to gauge it is to do the input as soon as Palutena has completely passed the person and is behind him/her

Top Bottom