• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swanky's Sideshow: Diddy Kong Video Arkive and Kritique Thread

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JbYdKwF6w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Me vs a ness player in our region, 2nd on PR
I still roll and do brawl things from habit and bad reactions. This was a money match because we were playing doubles and the ness player hates vsing me in doubles and I kept calling him free so I said 10 dollar money match. All jokes of course, but we did it anyway. Good times.

Kritique me, my kong brethren.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Stop being a vagina haver and go out and edge guard Ness. Use Uair more too. I only watched the first match, cuz I can tell you're a brawl player lol. I'll most likely have vids to show after this weekend.

That monkey in the suit skin was filthy though

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Stop being a vagina haver and go out and edge guard Ness. Use Uair more too. I only watched the first match, cuz I can tell you're a brawl player lol. I'll most likely have vids to show after this weekend.

That monkey in the suit skin was filthy though
Lol I don't think you understand the massive amount of crap I've been hit with for edge guarding this particular player. Thanks anyway tho, work it in somehow

SpiderMad

Smash Master
This is an old wifi match where I mindlessly jump around platforms until I kill myself twice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdgVaZEaalE

I can spot a lot of things I didn't do, that I do now
-I didn't really edge-guard, I should of jumped out there like C!Z says or pull banas instead of spamming more platform things (I was basically trying to do this every time http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FuI_FMKKsvw#t=123s )
-never mastered SH Bair to Up-air/Nair yet (I was spamming bair near the end trying to get the Up-air, which later on I managed to get it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FuI_FMKKsvw#t=195s but I still wasn't confident to use it on a useful occasion)
-tons of peanut gun things I never used which I do now (SH peanut gun to AGT banana using the AD cancel it has, Peanut gun Waveland edgehog), also I use the peanut gun a lot more on bigger stages like PS2 but I'm getting more use of it in smaller stage game too.
-didin't use Nair OOS in a few situations I could have used it
-should have side-b'd, pulled more bananas, and used Dash attack off the platforms way more (since it auto-cancels on landing it's so good and better than aerial drops a lot of times)
-missed/didn't master yet my side-b edge cancels a few times
-near the end there's a point where on the left side of BF Lucas was falling from on-high and I AGT the banana forward so I just waste it, I should of AGT'd it up so I could have a lot of options with it. There's a few other situations like that as well where I waste the banana.
-Obv. could of killed him at the end with something smart or an Up-throw, but I was having too much fun platforming
-My techs are obvious (though I do conserve certain mix-ups for serious matches/tournament :p, "Mad always techs to the right, I got this..Oh no he tech'd to the left! No NOO Oh no now I'm dead and lost the wifi tournament and Mad is now the glorious wifi champion who mindgamed me into thinking he always techs right")

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I have nothing to learn from these videos...
Brawl Friend Code:3652-4943-7065
:018:
Wifi MM: tomorrow, ~11pm, for 2 leelue pesos (aka hyperception tender, not useful in most countries except for making Eli do something like do a shout out or sign a poster [I still need to get that poster metrd. =( ])

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Here is a set of my Diddy vs BigWenz's Fox, followed by a game of my Diddy vs JC's Marth.
Bubbaking (Diddy) vs BigWenz (Fox) (game 1)
Bubbaking (Diddy) vs BigWenz (Fox) (game 2)
Bubbaking (Diddy) vs JCaesar (Marth)

You know...
despite all the "Diddy is too easy and broken" crap I hear, I've yet to see a single good Diddy Kong player that isn't me or Gurukid.

Cold. Hard. Truth.
I guess I'll have to MM Gurukid in Diddy dittos or something at SBU... :smash::smirk::smash:

I still think Diddy's upB is a broken move (check out the above vids), but meh, I play Diddy so let's keep it. :smash::smash::smash:

Diddy isn't any more broken than Fox or Falco, so it's very possible he wont need to be nerfed, but there are issues with him.
Neither were Ike and Lucario. :smash::smash::smash::smash:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
One of the first Up-bs you did you wildly twitched it, so it disguised what your final picked direction would be to JCz. I might pick that up, but I don't know how Up-b direction works so maybe doing that already decreases your max angles possible as well.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yes, that's exactly why I did that. I was already in a bad situation so I tried to minimize JC's chances of correctly intercepting me, and it worked. :) The strat doesn't really decrease your max possible angles. You can still choose whatever direction you want in the end. It also helps that one can influence the trajectory of the move after it's been released. Obviously, obnoxious hitboxes, detachable barrels, and no landing lag help the most, though. :smirk:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You can still choose whatever direction you want in the end. It also helps that one can influence the trajectory of the move after it's been released.
I'm going to test this, because I remember seeing him slowly like changing his entire body if you're holding a side direction for the whole thing: so It makes me believe you really do lessen your angles when you have no direction. I also don't know if you pick a certain direction of angles with your original start of the up-b, something like Marth and Link having multiple directions from the type of input: but probably not.

Also BEST DIDDY TEXUTRE EVER MADE NOW RELEASED
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=31734

SOmeone export an open Vest like Falco's over Diddy now

SpiderMad

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZRkAz2WdQ&feature=youtu.be
I have some month old replays I'm only now able to upload, and so far this is just the first out of 4 or so when I get time to do the rest hopefully tomorrow.

at 2:41 I should have SH down thrown the banana at Ness while he was vulnerably casting PK fire (or throw the banana up and grab him or something since he was going to be in lag for a whole second) instead of like the worst decision of throwing it at him and then momentuming backwards and then just Nairing really high: because SH throwing the banana is lot more useful in P:M than Brawl because of his SH being short and quickly FFall'ed and aerials being L-cancellable for so many situations like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NLZRkAz2WdQ#t=109s. Then right after that I miss pressing jump causing that SD

also you're right Bubbaking, it seems to indeed not limit your trajectory from not picking a direction for the primary portion of the charge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know Diddy could use a few extra spacing tools. If they'd ever think of changing Diddy's moveset, I hope they'd include his tail somehow in his attacks.

See Yoshi's Down Smash in Melee for example. Apply such an effect to Diddy's Down Smash, but keep the same animation. However, Diddy now also swings his tail with him, making the Down Smash a breakdance / tail sweeping attack. The tail would add range, has a tipper-like sweetspot (weaker, but better knockback). Making this ideal for gimping and edgeguarding, as well as keeping stage control.

His Up Air could also be like this. Just involve the tail to add a Pikachu's U AIr flavor to the U Air Diddy has now, but weaker, reversed, no semi-spike but better range. Make the moves link better to make the move a damaging move, like a weaker Fox U Air.

Forward Tilt could also be a tail whipping move btw, kinda similar to Yoshi's Brawl F Tilt, but Diddy does a full spin and it's a little quicker, has longer range and does a little less knockback. Close to no cooldown to.

Diddy's Forward Smash also can use some work. It's quite hard to land, and finish with. If they'd consider buffing Diddy, anything that makes the Forward Smash more useful would help tremendously.

ANYWAYZ, those are just my 2cents. :diddy:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
His F-smash is average but pretty much his best kill move, I just hate to use it specifically because it's slow just like Lucas' Up-smash. F-tilt is probly below average as well as slow but it's still decent to work with, think you're suppose to hit with the fist of it and if Gurukid ever got dmg %s for the hitbox thread I could say more about it. I totally agree though more tail attacks that are faster would be more fun to work with than his slow f-tilt but it's w/e.

Also you scare me how you've been obsessed with Diddy Kong for 9 years and ur current signature gif gets me dizzy

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda wanted Diddy to be in Melee / Brawl badly, and ffs I was like 13.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
His F-smash is average but pretty much his best kill move, I just hate to use it specifically because it's slow just like Lucas' Up-smash. F-tilt is probly below average as well as slow but it's still decent to work with, think you're suppose to hit with the fist of it and if Gurukid ever got dmg %s for the hitbox thread I could say more about it. I totally agree though more tail attacks that are faster would be more fun to work with than his slow f-tilt but it's w/e.
Diddy's fsmash is definitely much faster than Lucas' usmash. It's actually pretty strong for its speed, IMO, and it's not that hard to hit with. He reaches forwards with the attack, so it has a good deal of range, and he pulls back a little afterwards, making it safer on block/whiff/hit at low %'s. Also, since the move is two quick hits, I really like to use this move when I have the opponent pinned by the ledge. The first hit knocks him offstage, even if he's in shield, so the second hit (the killing hit) is practically guaranteed to connect if the first one wasn't dodged.

As for ftilt, I've found good uses for it. Ddk's fists blow up in size SM64-style, so it has some good range followed by decent power. It IS a little slow, though... :ohwell: Also, the move can be angled, so you can angle it downwards to edgeguard (it actually covers the ledge fairly well, and the KB on it is good for gimping) or upwards to stuff jump-ins. Added tail attacks could be nice...

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
If diddy had some hit stun on his moves, he'd be a better character, but instead, they're gonna nerf his sideB. I know it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy will probably have a different Down B in the next Smash though.

He could also use a third attack animation on the F Smash. A tail attack also. F Tilt needs to be seriously sped up or replaced by a different move. Love his new N Air though. Wish he had that also in v Brawl.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
His F-smash needs to be where he splits his peanut gun in half and uses it as two separate blades and be 2x better and faster

SpiderMad

Smash Master
http://www.twitch.tv/yerocxx/b/405404380
Today we have this "Swann" fellow, he does a lot of things I do and looks like an earlier Diddy of myself. He is using the inferior air dodge though so everyone is diminished on that. He likes to use peanut gun cancel a lot in attempts to psych Yeroc out. Overall he's smart and Yeroc just runs into stuff lol.
~also depending on how they set-up their streaming equipment, the TV could be using a diminished composite cable at worst which would diminish ability to play since it looks so awful.

He looks like he might be newer to the game, or came from Brawl, he has moments where he's motionless and gets hit for it and overall his movement isn't all connected between his attack bursts.

He doesn't take the opportunity to ever JC something or jump out of his dash turn animations and just lets them go full length

He doesn't instant AGT any bananas off platforms

vs Wario he did this SH Bair spam, which is super punishable but wasn't punished by Yeroc, and he didn't mix it up with waveland or SH Bair to up-air: which no one uses since ya'll probably never developed decent Marths. Eventually I might record a short SH Bair Upairs compilation from games I've played.

He only uses jump out of shield (Yeroc seems to as well)

Vs Rob he uses WJ to up-b but never uses in any of the games ledge drop WJ to side-b and instead uses mostly side-b from the ledge which doesn't have much mix-up w/o the WJ

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Madisa, I still don't understand AGTing bananas off of platforms. I keep thinking you're talking about canceling a waveland into an AGT but I think you told me earlier that that doesn't work.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=VCiMg66hBKs just one of many examples
If you get the bair hit then the Up-air can usually link unless you "got the strong hit?" and they have high damage or whatever (idk since Gurukid never got specific damage hitbox data for his gif thread). If you hit shield with the bair then Up-air SHOULD be relatively frame safe unless they do a perfect grab OOS but usually the up-air should catch their grabbing animation before you get grabbed: and if they don't shield grab/do some OOS move then you're still possible for punish on even L-canceling the up-air so you're probably going to want to keep moving behind them (cross-up) so only things like Bowser's Up-b OOS would be able to catch you

Then there's also Bair to Bair and Bair to Nair, and even Up-air to Up-air, all of those IMO are worse than Bair to Up-air and even harder to perform. And then of course you can just Bair and then let it auto-cancel or FFall it and L-cancel it or jump or waveland out of it like Ike and Link can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZkpWhb1nW7g#t=10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqzhSKk-BBc
and if you jump out of SH Bair you can immediately do Nair (or Up-air) and chain them in ways like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNK-fLBNps

Also I wanted to mention Diddy's jabs and gentlement are slightly worse than CFs and you have to mix them up good to get anything off of them and usually the best thing if you are on a platform doing them is to drop down Up-air which seems the next fastest and safest thing which ZSS players like to use a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gny0qOfFttc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ChUsaNlLAo4#t=10s

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ooooor you could just treat Diddy's jabs like Sheik's jabs (as in, she only has two very usable ones). That's what I usually do when I'm jabbing with Diddy. I rarely gentleman anymore. If the opponent is by the ledge or the edge of a plat, Diddy can go into rapid jab for some damage-racking, but other than that, jab 1 and jab 2 are solid, especially if you CC them. Also remember that dtilt is a 'pseudo-jab' of sorts.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I find jab to be too risky to use like Sheik's jab... I usually get screwed out of my opponent's reset, especially in comparison to dtilt which seems to be way better in pretty much every situation you would use jab

Top Bottom