• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF College Outreach: Midwest Chapter ~Last Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
College is a big thing for most of you out there, and by no means do I want to detract from your studies and experiences in the classroom (which I encourage by all means), you know what else is awesome? All of the extra curricular activities you can partake in - now what if we added Smash into the picture?

Getting better attendance at tournaments, organized play, better practice, and much more. These are some of the things we can hope by spreading the word about Smash World Forums and Smash Organizations alike through the US. I will be heading a project to help spread awareness of such groups, and provide support for others in the creation and upkeep of these organizations along with others through the SWF College Outreach Program.

Still in the early parts of it, step 1 is something simple. I would like to find out which Smashers here currently go to, or have attended college, along with a simple question or two. If this applies to you, it would be a big help to fill out the couple of questions at the end of this post, it should take no more than a minute to fill out!

There is a copy of this thread in each of the regional zones. Please only fill it out once, and reply to the section for which region your college is in (for instance if you live in Atlantic North but go to school in Atlantic South, please reply to the Atl. South thread).

What college/university do you go to?

What state is this school in?

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Silly Chibo...

Ohio University has a smash club: OUGA. Though it is more of a gaming club. Soon to be a fund raising club...

Which bring me to this, TOs can help school by making these tournaments into fund raisers.

I myself have done this at Ohio State University and Ohio University, where a "official club" gets the rooms/venue secured (which is usually free for the club). Then use the standard 5/10 dollar venue to go soley to the club (or your club) or a charity organization.

PEEF!

Smash Hero

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?
Indiana University

Indiana

Incoming Freshman

We do not have a smash club that I know of. If IU does, it is Brawl only and I don't play that.. I am very interested in starting one or working with the Brawl group to build Melee interest.

No but I would love to hold such a position.

=]

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Morehead University

Kentucky

Enrolled

I will probably graduate in the year 2012

Currently, we run smash events under The Gaming Guild, but starting next semester, I will be the head of an exclusive smash group.

I am actually not even an official member of the Gaming Guild yet I run the Smash events every Thursday. I have a room reserved under my room mate's name because he is the head of it (he usually doesn't even go to the events, I run the whole deal.)

Later, beepo!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler

Wichita State University

Kansas

Enrolled

iduno, 2012 if i'm lucky but probably 2013...

eh there's a "Gaming Committee" in the Student's Activities Council but they only do like one Smash event per year. i've thought about starting a smash-only club but i don't know how to go about that

nop

Roller

Smash Legend

University of Michigan

Michigan

Currently enrolled

A friend of mine and I started up a smash group here this past fall semester. Not an "official" organization, however we've gained quite a following, more than 30 on the email list, and usually get about 7-8 or so each weekend for a smashfest. In addition to playing occasionally throughout the week in smaller groups.

Co-founder/ co-president? I guess

SmaDa

Smash Cadet

University of Indianapolis

Indiana

Currently enrolled

Not really...Although I did co-found the Indianapolis Smash Academy with Count From Butler.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Ball State University

Indiana

Taking Semester Off through January

Ball State Smash League (unofficial)
Electronic Gamers League (BSU official)

Co-President of BSSL

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Silly Chibo...

Ohio University has a smash club: OUGA. Though it is more of a gaming club. Soon to be a fund raising club...

Which bring me to this, TOs can help school by making these tournaments into fund raisers.

I myself have done this at Ohio State University and Ohio University, where a "official club" gets the rooms/venue secured (which is usually free for the club). Then use the standard 5/10 dollar venue to go soley to the club (or your club) or a charity organization.
^^^This post applies to me^^^

Smashers at OU: Me (SiL), Wakka, Solecalibur, Juu, Framerate, POPS, T-800, and a few more.

now lets see how many of them name search.

Airborne

Smash Lord
University of Kentucky

Kentucky

Enrolled

2013 or 2014, depending on if I get an internship or do Co-op

There's this place called the Miskatonic Student Union that blows ***, and we used them for like 2-3 tournaments, but now we're just our own little independent group of like 10-20 people. ;D

Well, it's not an official organization, but I try to help organize what I can.

Edit: Adding some random and pointless message... But yeah, Kentucky is starting to become a strong state in the Midwest. =P

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet

BALL STATE UNIVERSITY

INDIANA

ENROLLED

I HAVE NO EFFING IDEA (2013)

I am going to disagree with TEEBS and tell you this. At BSU we have an "Electronic Gaming League" which is basically a bunch of doods who get together on the weekends and play WoW. There are many smashers, only a few of which are any good. Only four of those go to tournaments. Those four are Me (The Comrade) TEEBs, RougeBlades, and last but not least Calebyte. Each one of us (except TEEBS) is a member of the UGL ("Urban Gaming League") and have put together a few tournament type deals through that organization. Usually they are just held at the residence hall I live in which has one wii we can check out.

NO.

thatisall

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Just letting everyone know I will be building a godly smash crew at IU. We will be respected everywhere.

SoulPech

Smash Master

I did go to DeVry, but I graduated..however, I am going back for a Master's Degree.

Ohio..Columbus to be precise

I started last week..classes on thursdays so far

Graduated DeVry Fed 2010. Plan to get my masters late 2011 or early 2012.

Ha. This one is actually funny. I am the VP of DOAMA - DeVry's Offical Anime and Manga Appreication. The issue is no one there does not play smash as much. Sometimes, I force them to play, but most of them play me, then quit because I beat them too much.

Revven

FrankerZ

I will be attending Cleveland State University

Ohio

I'll be starting in the Fall.

I plan to graduate 2014.

I have no idea, I'll likely find out when I go there this Fall. I'm not even sure if anyone even plays Smash up there.

See above.

dj asakura

Smash Ace

Illinois State University

Illinois

Currently enrolled

2012 or 2013. Will be a Junior this coming fall.

As far as I know there isn't any such organization but I know there was someone who started meeting up with local Melee players.

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
I joined just to post this....

Kalamazoo College (NOT Valley. We're like 1300 strong)

Michigan

Currently enrolled

2012. Will be a Junior this coming fall.

Yes. The facebook group is like 22 members large and the last tourney (of mainly all good players. I mean, my suitemate and I goose-egged, so you know the field was strong, even though we play Melee, a much better game, now) had 16 people. We're thinking of going down to the Digi-Ops tourney next weekend in AA. Hopefully that happens.

It's mainly Brawl, but we're trying to bring Melee back (there's like five us who play, one being the leader of the smashgroup).

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord

-University of Toledo

-Ohio

-Starting my Junior Year in the Fall

-Probably 2013...

-Our school has a gaming organization named BASH and most people play Smash casually, while others play competitively. Overall, it's hands-down the most popular game there. We hold tournaments throughout the year for Brawl and Melee.

-No I don't. :x

Zwarm

Smash Hero

DePaul University

Illinois

Currently enrolled.

Not Smash specific, but we have an organization called DeFrag which hosts video game tournaments. The Brawl ones usually are FFA's with items and only once a year, so they aren't serious about Smash in any way, XD. I don't know how many people are in it, but since DePaul's pretty big on game dev/computer science majors, it's probably a lot.

Nope.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster

U of I Chambana

IL

enrolled

Smashing Illini

no

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Ball State University

Indiana

Graduated! :bee:

May 2010

A) Not yet
B) Electronic Gaming League, though they mostly play WoW and Counterstrike.

Nope

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Ball State University

Indiana

Graduated! :bee:

May 2010

A) Not yet
B) Electronic Gaming League, though they mostly play WoW and Counterstrike.

Nope
lol, I posted, then Joe posted, now you posted. XDDDD EVERYONE MUST KNOW, BSU MEANS BUSINESS!

Count

Smash Champion

Butler University

Indiana

Enrolled

2012 or 2013 depending on the program I do for my accounting degree.

No to both.

N/A.

john!

Smash Hero
UW Madison has at least 3 good Melee players, they're freshmen and I'm a soph. We don't have a Smash/video game club to my knowledge... they used to have student gaming nights but I think those are done.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

Wisconsin

Enrolled

2011, maybe 2012

theres a general gaming club, Oshkosh Gaming Society, but there's very little emphasis on video games and none on smash

no

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
UW Madison has at least 3 good Melee players, they're freshmen and I'm a soph. We don't have a Smash/video game club to my knowledge... they used to have student gaming nights but I think those are done.
I've just finished my Freshman year at UW-Madison, and I'm curious who these select individuals you refer to are. I myself am nothing special at Melee, but I am looking for opponents of a higher skill level so that I myself might improve.

Did you by chance live in Elizabeth Waters last year?

john!

Smash Hero
I've just finished my Freshman year at UW-Madison, and I'm curious who these select individuals you refer to are. I myself am nothing special at Melee, but I am looking for opponents of a higher skill level so that I myself might improve.

Did you by chance live in Elizabeth Waters last year?
yes i did. living there next year as well. the other two are in southeast. hit me up next year if you want to smash.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master

Purdue University

West Lafayette, IN

Enrolled

Fall 2011

We have a crew here and host bi weeklies(melee only), but it is not associated with the school.

Im a TO.

Me14k

Smash Lord
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

Illinois

Enrolled

We used to have the smashing illini. I'd assume there are video game/anime clubs.

Nope.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Indiana University

Indiana

Enrolled

We have IU Brawl Club, but there's only like 4 of us that are really active. It's not technically a club through the school, but I believe Composer is going to work on getting it officially recognized by the school.

I'm not, but Composer is President I think.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Wichita State University

Kansas

Enrolled

2012, probably.

eh there's a "Gaming Committee" in the Student's Activities Council but they only do like one Smash event per year.
I used to be part of the SAC gaming commitee, but I couldn't compete in any tournaments because I was.

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
JCCC - Johnson County Community College

Kansas

Enrolled

Graduating in 2012

Gaming Interest Group - GIG
For all gaming, but mostly Brawl and Melee are played.

No. I don't get to attend any more because of work hours.

Ex-Dove

Smash Cadet
University of Missouri-Columbia

Missouri

Starting soon

Not sure yet, but I'll definitely be looking and trying to get smash going.

N/A

Zozefup

Smash Lord
1. Murray State University

2. Kentucky

3. Currently enrolled. I'm a Junior

4. I will graduate in 2012.

5. There are no Smash or video game clubs :( I'd like to start one, but I'm lazy.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Akron '14
Ohio
Starting in the fall

Ok, those questions about clubs and presidency positions are mostly N/A, so I'm going to ignore them and post misc relevant information.

To my knowledge there are a decent number of fairly good brawlers at Akron, with a dearth of melee players. I only play melee though, so I hope to fix that. However, I'm commuting from canton which is an awesome area for melee so it shouldn't be a problem if I can't get any melee in Akron.

MJG

Smash Hero

Kansas State University

Kansas

Starting on August 23rd

They have a gaming Club.

No.

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be an incoming freshman at UW-Madison, and would like to find some people to smash with this fall. I'm going to be in Chadbourne though. I'm just starting competitive smash too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom