• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swing Your Sword! A Marth guide (In progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Be sure to include with counter that it does 1.1X the damage recived and does a min. of 8%

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
FSmash Charged Non-tipped: 14%
FSmash Charged Tipped: 26%

DSmash Charged Non-Tipped: 14%
DSmash Charged Tipped: 23%

USmash Charged Non-Tipped: 25%
USmash Charged Tipped: 29%

Include:
Use DB green sparingly, for it can be DI'ed out of leaving Marth open for a nice Smash. if anything use it at the edge where they are forced to DI off stage giving Marth a slight advantage.

The last hit of Marth's Nair is stronger then the first, which is usually what kills the opponent.

Counter should be used wisely, not sparingly. It is a great conditioner and can get Marth out of sticky situations. If anything a person who uses Marth should let the opponent that they aren't afraid to whip out a counter, it conditions and can lead to serious mindgames. Just use it wisely.

Elaborate on Dtilt. The discription should have examples that explain the uses of Dtilt. Such as Pressuring, Spacing, and Trapping.

Incude the Shff. Fair, Nair, Uair.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Alright cool I will add that stuff I didn't do charged smashes because the likelihood of you hitting someone with a charged smash is low.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
*sigh*.

*sigh*

What can I do but *sigh*?

tip fsmash fresh is 19.95% damage, realistically in a match a fresh one is 20%.
untippered fsmash is 14%
WHEN AN UNTIPPERED FSMASH IS FULLY CHARGED IT DOES 19%.

And a fully charged tipped shieldbreaker does not do 31%.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
*sigh*.

*sigh*

What can I do but *sigh*?

tip fsmash fresh is 19.95% damage, realistically in a match a fresh one is 20%.
untippered fsmash is 14%
WHEN AN UNTIPPERED FSMASH IS FULLY CHARGED IT DOES 19%.

And a fully charged tipped shieldbreaker does not do 31%.
When I did it in training mode it came to 19% I don't think there's any move decay in training mode either. Also I'm not sure where the 31% SB info is coming from but that isn't in my guide.

I guess your name should be sighya instead of shaya :laugh:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
nair uair dair fair bair fsmash dsmash up smash utilt Dancing Blades Dolphin slash and SB can also kill.

yeah I think that's a wide range of kill moves...but what do I know. Once again this isn't supposed to be a ground breaking guide to marth it's supposed to be a new guide for new marths since their isn't one here. What else do you think is wrong with the guide?

@Odigo I know it was lame but it made me laugh.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
nair uair dair fair bair fsmash dsmash up smash utilt Dancing Blades Dolphin slash and SB can also kill.

yeah I think that's a wide range of kill moves...but what do I know. Once again this isn't supposed to be a ground breaking guide to marth it's supposed to be a new guide for new marths since their isn't one here. What else do you think is wrong with the guide?

@Odigo I know it was lame but it made me laugh.
One must always strive for perfection. One Perfectly Made Guide > Multiple Guides.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Almostlegendary i'm sorry but i don't think this guide will become a good Marth guide. There is so much wrong info, so much is not covered, and i think you don't know enough about the game to make this guide. Of course, it is still in progress and of course, people will help you but i think we should just leave the guides as they are right now.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman

simply because a move can kill does not make it a kill move. fair is in most cases too stale to kill at under 130 unless you hit with it off the edge or right at the ledge. the same applies to DB since its stales completely with just 2 uses and is halfway staled before you even finish the first combo. the only time they can really be relied on to act as kill moves is when they are fresh, meaning marth just died.

dair is only a kill move under a spike, which is rare against most characters. with good DI utilt won't kill until usually the 160's iirc unless you hit it with the sweetspot at marth's back leg, which is incredibly rare since it takes so long for the hitbox to travel there.

marth's smashes technically do have the power to kill, but they need to be tippered. a tipped fsmash might kill at 100 but untippered ones won't kill until 160. roughly the same applies to dsmash. usmash is not as tip dependent but it doesn't have a lot of horizontal reach, so you really have to mindgame into it via ledgeguarding/oos punish poor spacing.

nair and bair are reliable when they connect but nair is difficult to use effectively and bair is rather unsafe if you don't know when to use it.

DS is a punish move that can kill. but its not something you can easily set up for.

shieldbreaker is shieldbreaker..

so while marth does have a lot of moves that can kill, very few of them are reliable moves to kill with. hence the saying that marth has no reliable kill moves, least no spammable ones. this is why gimping is such a huge part of marth's game, since trying to kill with him without ****** your opponent off the edge is a dreadful pain in the ***.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Almostlegendary i'm sorry but i don't think this guide will become a good Marth guide. There is so much wrong info, so much is not covered, and i think you don't know enough about the game to make this guide. Of course, it is still in progress and of course, people will help you but i think we should just leave the guides as they are right now.
hmmm.... :ohwell:

I disagree.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
simply because a move can kill does not make it a kill move. fair is in most cases too stale to kill at under 130 unless you hit with it off the edge or right at the ledge. the same applies to DB since its stales completely with just 2 uses and is halfway staled before you even finish the first combo. the only time they can really be relied on to act as kill moves is when they are fresh, meaning marth just died.

dair is only a kill move under a spike, which is rare against most characters. with good DI utilt won't kill until usually the 160's iirc unless you hit it with the sweetspot at marth's back leg, which is incredibly rare since it takes so long for the hitbox to travel there.

marth's smashes technically do have the power to kill, but they need to be tippered. a tipped fsmash might kill at 100 but untippered ones won't kill until 160. roughly the same applies to dsmash. usmash is not as tip dependent but it doesn't have a lot of horizontal reach, so you really have to mindgame into it via ledgeguarding/oos punish poor spacing.

nair and bair are reliable when they connect but nair is difficult to use effectively and bair is rather unsafe if you don't know when to use it.

DS is a punish move that can kill. but its not something you can easily set up for.

shieldbreaker is shieldbreaker..

so while marth does have a lot of moves that can kill, very few of them are reliable moves to kill with. hence the saying that marth has no reliable kill moves, least no spammable ones. this is why gimping is such a huge part of marth's game, since trying to kill with him without ****** your opponent off the edge is a dreadful pain in the ***.
I said marth has a wide range of kill moves he says that wrong. I list what are his kill moves. I didn't go into too deep detail because I didn't want to factor in opponents DI weight or damage percantages. Yes you have to set up for these moves the same way you have to set up for alll of Marths moves that doesn't take away from the fact that the moves kill. Stage position is obviously a factor. I didn't state the moves kill mario in the middle of FD at such and such percentages. I have to disagree with your assement on when Utilt and fsmash kjill at.

Yes marth smash attacks are laggy that doesn't mean they don't have the potential to kill. Shield breaker is another option that can kill. Or have you never killed someone with shield breaker? But I digress if you want to bring something up then be a little bit more legit with it and considering you said a fully charged SB does 31% I'll take your words with a grain of salt.

legion598

Smash Ace
your lacking a section on offense and defense (marth plays differently in both) you need to describe empty short hops and the strategies leading from them and also punishing shield rolls and spot dodges

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
what i liked about this guide; it was colorful

what i disliked about this guide; everything else

but really the color coding is cool
Can you go into more detail as to why you dislike the guidE? I like your avatar OP is the best manga/anime ever. Oda is God.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I said marth has a wide range of kill moves he says that wrong. I list what are his kill moves. I didn't go into too deep detail because I didn't want to factor in opponents DI weight or damage percantages. Yes you have to set up for these moves the same way you have to set up for alll of Marths moves that doesn't take away from the fact that the moves kill. Stage position is obviously a factor. I didn't state the moves kill mario in the middle of FD at such and such percentages. I have to disagree with your assement on when Utilt and fsmash kjill at.

Yes marth smash attacks are laggy that doesn't mean they don't have the potential to kill. Shield breaker is another option that can kill. Or have you never killed someone with shield breaker? But I digress if you want to bring something up then be a little bit more legit with it and considering you said a fully charged SB does 31% I'll take your words with a grain of salt.
i really dont feel like explaining this...

just know that youre wrong.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
i really dont feel like explaining this...

just know that youre wrong.
Explain to me how Marth doesn't have a wide range of kill moves. I would love to hear this. Otherwise STFU and GTFO. IF you're not going to bring anything to this thread then don't even brother posting some bull**** comments it's really annoying and if you think I'm wrong on certain parts explain why I'm wrong ether wise STFU and GTFO.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Well, this thread still isn't getting anywhere. Either people are posting to insult or the like is being returned. With the majority of posters on the Marth boards against this guide, I'm going to have to close it. I believe MikeHAZE will be making a guide soon: hopefully that one works out.

In the meantime, I suggest all sides lay off any flaming or ill will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom