• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching from Falco to Sheik?

s_cube

Your favorite Smasher
Good morning,
I'm a rather new player and have been playing Falco (and competitive) since December. The first video of Melee "Pros" I ever saw was Mango just ripping apart M2k at Genesis, using his Falco. So that was probably the main-reason I picked him up as a main (besides my old high school love Ness not being too viable in competitive play).

I have been going to our local monthlies every month, met with smashers nearly every weekend, went to our national and trained my butt off ( I don't have a training partner, so that makes things hard ). I think I improved decently, I learned some AT's (shffl'ing, all of falcos laser tech and most basic stuff) but one of the things that simply bugs me is that I don't improve at all when playing against people.
There are not even a handful of people in the local scene I can win against (and I won against them from the start, so it's not like I improved) and it is just really frustrating when newcomers show up and beat you on their first monthly.

I can tell by now that I'm probably not the most gifted of players, but what also started to bug me a lot is the character I play. Falco.
To me it seems impossible to beat, for example, a Marth who is on an equal skill-level because of his superior range, grab range etc. .
While I know that a well played Fox/Falco is the "strongest" character in the game I also think that reaching the skill-level necessary to play on such a level is a lot harder than on some other characters, so I have been thinking about switching to Sheik because of the rather easy and intuitive start she offers.

I don't expect miracles to happen due to the switch but it has been on my mind for a while and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

Edit: and if you want to support me in my decision I would love some tips and advice!

Last edited:

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Hey man, I really appreciate your attempt to improve but I feel that you could still make great strides with falco. Watching very technical players will definitely make things seem more difficult than they are.

What I mean by that is that if you try to replicate very technical play, you will face many cons.

You proabably aren't that technical yet. The reason why it works for these high level players is because they have optimized everything such as timing, spacing, l-cancelling, when the aerial comes out, when you fast fall, where you are on the stage. It often took them years to learn and finally perform them. That being said, don't try to replicate them, but just find out what works. Play simple until you figure out what is really working.

Trying to play like the top level of players today can get you punished for doing any of these things wrongs.

My biggest tip to you is to watch older videos of falcos. It might seems boring but the less they do, the easier it will be for you to understand why it worksz

Top Bottom