• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

S.D

Smash Master
Haha all good. All signups are done on the day, Jaz was just using this thread as a way to guage interest and gather a rough idea of numbers. Don't worry if you don't feel like you'll be too competitive, it's all about fun and the experience will only make you better :)

Dedu

Smash Lord
Sure... it is.
Unless you happen to be a one boy wonder and go straight to 1st place like some chinese guy did two years ago... he threatened Pat's 1st place status in the singles finals.

That was AWESOME.
AND Jaz vs Mystwalker crew finale too <3

Jaz

Smash Ace
Updated Stui ^_^

You're on the list Keru! you too Gords thanks for the effort, we should be fine for equipment good of you to offer ;)

haven't heard from the HORNSBY CREW yet... wonder what they're deal is.
Thought they'd be first in line XD

Keru

Smash Cadet
I have a melee disc if you need one, but I can't provide a memor card becuase not everything is unlocked.

So, would I be able to bring my memory card and grab someones save file? I'm too lazy to unlock **** =p

S.D

Smash Master
Only 2 more essays to go before I make it to this!

Everyone spread the word to anyone who hasn't heard about this yet. I want to see BIG NUMBERS.

Oh and Jaz, what am I down for on the equipment list? Do I just need to bring a cube/melee/card? Or should I be bringing my wii, a second card and Tim's melee? Maybe it would be better if I was just bringing one lot of gear along in case I get robbed again.

Jaz

Smash Ace
yeah man you can have mine if you want I'm sure people will be happy to pass that on.

This Sunday peoples, 16 people confirmed means a definite tournament, hopefully the hornsby crew show up ^_^

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
hey guys

Hornsby2 should be able to make this... possibly 3 of us but it's unlikely as essentially it's IGIF and I now

which is unfortunate seeing as I lost my melee disc and god knows what happened to IGIF's

so no-one is allowed to make fun of how bad we are now lol

unreon

Smash Ace
Sup guys,

I'm definitely going to be there, Jaz and I are gonna tear it up. It's gonna be Team Just Jazz and PAT/KULLA and TOM/SAM ARE DEAD SO DEAD + all the other teams, I don't know who you are yet =( Who is teaming with who?

So BRING IT ON, GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!

I'm so going to win these singles. Watch me baby. I've got the trophy in my bag already; I've been practicing HEAAAAAAAPS with Abel.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Sup guys,

I'm definitely going to be there, Jaz and I are gonna tear it up. It's gonna be Team Just Jazz and PAT/KULLA and TOM/SAM ARE DEAD SO DEAD + all the other teams, I don't know who you are yet =( Who is teaming with who?

So BRING IT ON, GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!

I'm so going to win these singles. Watch me baby. I've got the trophy in my bag already; I've been practicing HEAAAAAAAPS with Abel.

me and sam are unbeatable and its about time marth won a tourney in syd imo

Jaz

Smash Ace
VERY GOOD QUESTION LAMPIAIO

that name is kind of hard to spell in the morning, holy bugger i've left this post for a while is it still morning?

===SWISS===​

Ok for swiss The usual SYDNEY system is:

4 stock
7 minute time limit
No Items... sorry everyone had to put my foot down

you have 2 matches per swiss round, Every match you win earns you a point

Random Select from neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

NO COUNTER PICKING IN SWISS!!!

YOU CAN BAN ONCE PER MATCH, (TWICE PER SWISS ROUND IN OTHER WORDS)
IF THE STAGE COMES UP AGAIN.... YOU ARE TOO UNLUCKY TO HAVE A RULE THAT HELPS YOU OUT.

DAVE'S STUPID RULE: CAN'T PLAY THE SAME STAGE TWICE

Loser can choose to change characters first, the Winner can then change if he wants

The Winner can choose to change characters after the Loser has declined, IF that happens the Loser can NOT change, sucks to be you.

The top 8/4 point scorers will enter a double elim setup after that:

===DOUBLE ELIM===​

This is when all the Counter picking patooie happens and we'll just copy the rule set from Rocky:

Now in Rocky there are some suspect neutrals so they'll be counter picks in Comrades of Xeno and i took out Brinstar Depths

Some useful rules for doubles at the bottom we'll adopt

General Rules

* 4 Stock.
* No items.
* 7 Minute Time Limit.
* All sets are best of 3 matches (Excludes losers and championship finals, which is a best of 5).
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
* No player may choose the stage they last won on.
* Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played.
* Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match (Tournament organisers will have ful discretion disqualifying illigitimate play styles).
* The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
* Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
* Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD).

Set Format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Counter Pick Stage List:

* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
* Dream Land: Green Greens
* DK Island: Jungle Japes
* F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
* Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
* Lylat System: Corneria
* Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
* Mushroom Kingdom II

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON
* Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
* Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
* Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Any disputes just make a post, however i won't kinda be here all day... sorry.
Talk to me Tomorrow ^_^

-Jaz

IGIF.PAIN

Smash Apprentice
YO guys im coming to this tourny and btw unreon prepare to be beaten by the the 1337SQAUD (shutup ben we can talk about the name later) you guys are gonna be like " woah dude, is that IGIF" and we will be like " YAH " and you will walk away and cry and then ben will be like" your an idiot IGIF" and i will slap him

SO PREPARE...TO.......MEET......PAIN

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

isthattim?

Smash Ace
hey, seeing as though i won't be able to make it it'd be appreciated if someone wrote an in depth summary of every swiss match and the every double elim match, it'd probs be good practice for someone who is doing journalism at uni...

**** i wish i could've come :( next time ay

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
yeh i came first< tom was like 'wtf your cheap igif" i beat pat in a friendly with ease and i was just cruisin" i topped it easily, next match ME vs CAO
sam won easily destroyed everyone, simon 2nd jaz 3rd pat 4th me 5th bjay also 5th game ****ing sucks played like an artard dont feel like smash anymore hate all of you guys (esp simon)

Jaz

Smash Ace
LOL Turtle

Funky he actually did end up giving us free membership so that was pretty smoothed out overall

The tourny did get off to a bad start, i didn't have a contact number which was a pretty amateur mistake. However it was a success overall,

Results:

Doubles:

1st Pat / Kulla
2nd Combo / S.D
3rd Jaz / Unreon

Singles:

1st S.D
2nd Kulla
3rd Jaz

No shoutouts from me guys and EGG won't be holding another tourny there for a while due to exams

a while being a month pending .__.

talk to you guys during the week sleep now T-T

-Jaz

S.D

Smash Master
I didn't get robbed! woot!

Thanks for a great tourney Jaz - once the EGG guy finally showed XD

I prolly write some shoutouts some other time too much **** to do atm. But in brief great matches with everyone, especially in brackets (god**** Jason can combo)! Was nice to see new and old faces alike, thanks for coming Keru hope to see you again next time too.

@ Stu - **** that I'm never playing Icies vs Peach again it's like hitting your head against a brick wall, lucky there are so many other cuddly characters to choose from.

<3 everyone

Bjay

Smash Lord
Ergh, can finally post. I got home and my net wasn't working at all. It didn't connect until 11pm. =.= Anyway moving on...

____

Despite hinderances in the morning, as well as a shaky start at the tournament, it was really wonderful to see that the tournament ran on time (or ahead of time rather), and everything went very smoothly, and that it was also a really fun and wonderful tournament. Swiss matches were nuts, I’m lucky that I just scraped in at the Top 8. I reckon if there was one more Swiss match, it would have been the end for me.

I had lots of fun, whether it be doubles, swiss, double-elim singles, or eating together at lunch (lol pigeons), so I’m really glad the day turned out pretty well, and especially because it’s been a while since this sort of thing happened, let alone a tournament at UTS, which is where it all practically started.

I’m personally satisfied with where I placed in Singles (as well as Doubles), since I was expecting something lower, but I wouldn’t be complaining if I got a lower placing as well. Trust my final opponents to be extremely super fast players (Jaz and Pat), I don’t know how I’m ever gonna deal with you guys when it comes to facing you guys in matches, nonetheless it’s really fun though. Grats to Sam for winning the tournament as well!

Thanks Jaz for all your effort into organizing this tournament. It’s definitely been a while since it happened, and especially a tournament organized by you, and one at UTS too! Despite morning events, Comrades of Xeno turned it to be a pretty fun, wonderful and excellent tournament. A job well done again Jaz! It’s a shame Xeno couldn’t make it.

Shoutouts:

Artur – Good matches in the swiss around against you! You had the right idea in using Marth to counterpick against me, but unfortunately things didn’t turn out the way you wanted. We never really seem to face each other much either which is a shame, so we must get some friendlies in some time as I don’t think we got any in at this tournament. There’s always next time!

berimbau –Pat! I didn’t get to play you at all apart from the tournament match we had, in which you completely crushed me. I didn’t know what to do against you, though this time at least I knew what I was doing, as opposed to Don’t Come. Regardless even though I knew what I was doing, it doesn’t work on you anyway! I remember making a few mistakes, and you punished me severely for that too, hopefully I learn from that. A very great comeback you made against me on Mute City as well, it just happened so fast like that I don’t even remember how it happened, I thought I’d lost in the end too. Your counterpick was pretty unexpected as well, it was a great choice. It’s a stage I love to play on, but clearly against you it’s something I may have to avoid in the future.

ComboTurtle – Since the old days have I enjoyed my Peach sparring with your Marth. Each moment of the match you seem to be on my tail, and I just can’t do anything, and that’s where all the slaughter comes in from you. I’m glad I was sort of making a come back in the end in our friendlies, but it wasn’t enough since you had me from the start, and till the end. It seems when it comes to tournament matches we never really face each other much, and when we do, it’s always in the losers bracket. Hopefully we can verse each other more in the future.

Dedu
– Yo Stu those were some pretty fun friendlies we had, especially Peach vs Fox on Yoshi’s Story. You owned 2 of my stocks like instantly, and so I’m surprised I managed to a comeback, it happened just like that. I’m still facepalming at myself for throwing away the beamsword against your Marth just like that -_- I shall not do it again! It’s always great to verse you, especially since our matches end up being pretty hilarious by the end of it. Stop swatting my Peach with your Marth!

Funky – Yo Simon it’s been forever, so it’s great to see you again. We didn’t get to play each other at all though, I was hoping to vs you, but you had to go early which was a shame, but there’s always next time. It was great to see you again though and I’m glad you could make it. We must verse each other more next time, for old time sake!

IGIF – Yoyo you’ve improved quite a bit have ya? That Falcon was amazing and had me in friendlies, so I’m glad I didn’t have to face you in any Swiss matches. It seems dropping Fox for Falcon was a great idea. While Fox is up there, Fox ain’t for everyone, and Falcon is pretty good for you, I’m impressed. You made the right choice in switching to Falcon, which helped you get past that wall. Bad luck about doubles, you should be careful who you’re kneeing too in a doubles match hahaha!

Jaz – Grats on 3rd place Jaz! Being up against you in a match be they singles or doubles, is always very tough, but always very fun. You read me like a book, and you had the upper hand the whole time against me during our singles matches. I tried my best and lost, but I enjoyed versing you, so I’m glad I got to face you eventually. I’ll do my best to turn the tables next time, but even then you’d turn it around right back. Also 4 knees in a row, wow, I was amazed. Hopefully when we verse each other next time, I can do some pretty impressive and classy stuff with my Peach against you, but I’m gonna have to be able to land hits consistently first before that’ll ever happen lmao.

Keeno – I am SO glad I didn’t have to face you in any tournament matches. Like what the hell that Young Link just hit me everytime and I couldn’t do anything! Your projectile spam was superior to my turnip spam, that sword just hit me each time, and I could not edgeguard you at all! Nonetheless, it was a very fun match though, and very hilarious at the same time, so thanks for asking to have friendlies with me. We must have some more matches in the future!

Keru – Heya Keru, we didn’t really talk much nor did we get to play each other but I do hope you enjoyed today’s tournament despite its shaky start, and the fact you’ve never played Melee before. I hope you had fun though, and that you enjoyed playing Melee as well. It’s great to see a new face in the scene, so I personally hope to see you in future tournaments, as well as meets.

Kulla
Cooler Simon! Grats on 2nd place, and your Sheik is just really really amazing, and is also inspiring. I can’t remember when I last played you in Melee, but playing you today was quite a different experience to versing your Sheik back then. Everything you did worked and I just couldn’t land a hit on you at all. It's fate that we always face each other early in Swiss matches, and also you always end up being the victor, which is fine by me, as you’re an extremely great player. It's always fun vsing you! Well done on 2nd again and quit smoking!
PS: Quit smoking!

Lampi – Lampi! Wow, that was some of the most intense matches I’ve had today if not the most intense matches for this tournament. Seriously our matches kept swinging one way or another, and kept lasting for a very long time though. I got a bit lucky on my end though, since those stitch face turnips managed to get you, though that sorta makes up for my unlucky suicides hahaha. Those rollouts too towards the end on FD in our swiss match. I’m really surprised I managed to dodge them as I was worried my timing would be off and that would be the end of that, I really did actually think I was going to get hit. Bad luck about your counterpick and I don’t know if you would pick Dream Land against me but I will continue to ban it against us, bwahaha.

S.D – Grats on 1st place Sam! You played very well today from the matches I’ve seen, and your ability to use several characters really well is really impressive, and is something I definitely wish I could do, but it definitely won’t happen for Melee, but that’s fine with me. We didn’t end up facing each other in the tournament at all, so I’m really glad you asked me for a friendly even though you pretty much had me throughout the whole match, a job well done. I’ll have to think of some plan for when I have to face you in the future in a Melee tournament match, but with all the cards you hold, I’m sure one of them will foil my plan anyway, bwahahahaha.

Sanc – Great stuff that Falco and Bowser today, Bowser especially. I wasn’t going to underestimate it at all, and I’m so glad I didn’t since it dominated against my Peach really well and thoroughly. I may have had you afterwards in the next friendly but that’s cause of the stage I believe. The things I try to do against your Falco and Bowser never seem to work, yet things I don’t want to work seem to work. Fair trade I suppose, whatever KOs those characters, hahaha!

SSBen – Great stuff from your Falco today! You’ve improved quite a bit and those matches were pretty fun. Shame about what happened in doubles though (we can blame IGIF for that though hahaha). Playing against you I had to take a different approach as you pretty much stuffed me up, so I’m surprised I managed to be victorious in the end.

unreon – Jason thanks for the lift once again, definitely appreciate it lots. Aside from doubles, it’s a shame we never got to face each other in the tournament, because those friendlies we had were lots of fun. With everything just going back and forth, and your 0 to 60% in less than 10 seconds (like what the hell!) I found our matches to pretty intense, which was definitely really wonderful. We definitely need to play some more matches next time, I look forward to it!
____

Been ages since I did a shoutout like this...just too lazy these days. :p

Anyway, looking forward to videos!

Keru

Smash Cadet
That was a great tourney, I even got props for sucking!

Thanks to everyone that gave me melee advice, especially Stu and Funky

Fox time

Gords

Smash Champion
This was one of my favourite tourneys even though I wasn't on my game. Hope another one happens in june. And we can find another venue since UTS is busy the next 2 months.

did bjay do shoutouts for every person that was there besides himself?
No, I can think of one othert

Top Bottom