• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

]Syntax Error['s Brawl Texture Hack Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash_me_mavrick

Smash Rookie
They planned on releasing the two in tandem; no patch, then the guide only details how to make your own textures, while no guide and you wouldn't be able to apply the patch.

They released the guide... but Nintendo got to them before they could release the patch.
that makes me wanna cry i could tell there was something wrong there was a somber mood after guide release and no one was thre to answer questions i can only imagenne how the team feels

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I certainly won't dismiss the chance that they are telling the truth, it would seem that a team that keeps its followers so well informed and very excited to release it to the public wouldn't do something like this.
And this is the exact reason I think something else is going on... They kept everyone so informed the whole time, but right before the release there was NOTHING... Even if they got a C&D, there would be NO reason to shut everything down. If they didn't distribute it, there is absolutely NOTHING they could be shut down for, not even on technicalities at all. So, if that is what really happened, with how well informed they kept everyone, it would have made sense with the C&D theory if they kept the site up as a memorandum(Like Chrono Resurrection's trailers and screenshots), and given the public an explanation. Honestly, if it's not a joke, I think it may be something else, and they used this as a cover thinking it would be easier for their fans to understand or something like that...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
No, they did break numerous copyrights. Under DMCA laws, their reverse engineering of Brawl's encoding is a prosecutable offense, as well as the obvious infringement that comes with using characters that they don't own (at least, I don't think they own Vader, or FD Link). I don't agree with DMCA laws in the slightest, though, so we'll see how that turns out.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
But, despite being copyrighted materials, if they didn't distribute them it amounts to fan art, which, as it doesn't make profit, would NOT be prosecutable against as it would be held within freedom of speech. This is the reason people who make skins for computer games of copyrighted characters can not be prosecuted, if it's not profiting and not costing the copyright holder any money(neither of which these texture hacks were), it is not a case of infringement(or, at least, not a case that would hold up in court). The reverse engineering may be a trickier issue, but if that was the issue then ALL the texture hack sites would have to be taken down to make a solid legal case(If you only care about one of many doing the same thing, it shows bias, which can cause large issues for the prosecution in legal proceedings). Also, if that were the case we come back to the bigger concern being ROMs and emulators, as they rip every bit of data from games AND distribute it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No, they did break numerous copyrights. Under DMCA laws, their reverse engineering of Brawl's encoding is a prosecutable offense, as well as the obvious infringement that comes with using characters that they don't own (at least, I don't think they own Vader, or FD Link). I don't agree with DMCA laws in the slightest, though, so we'll see how that turns out.
They didn't do anything to the coding. They texture hacked. There is a very big difference in that, and I don't think there is any law against that.

Smash_me_mavrick

Smash Rookie
They didn't do anything to the coding. They texture hacked. There is a very big difference in that, and I don't think there is any law against that.
the fact that they released their guide may have been considered intent or aid to break copyright laws.

Scorchio17

Smash Rookie
Okay, I have a plan.

First thing's first, we need to get in contact with ]EE[ and prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Nintendo did this. Once that happens, we need to secure the texture hack pack. After that, we need to patch an ISO and distribute it, ISO and all, on the internet. Get people who don't even care to download it. You know the massive DRM protest downloads for Spore? We're gonna triple it. While we're at it, distribute every other first party Nintendo game with the patch. Find a way to get them to work on the Wii. Hell, find a way to get them to work on the PC. Massive downloads, no more profits. We"hardcore" games will have our revenge, Nintendo, I swear it!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Reverse engineering isn't a copyright offence though... and neither is the trademark infringement that would be the problem for making "Darth Vader" models....... just sayin'.

the fact that they released their guide may have been considered intent or aid to break copyright laws.
This is probably their biggest problem.

Your country has some messed up laws :(

Oracle

Smash Master
First of all, can anyone show me where to get the guide?

Second, no, it would be bad to distribute the textures because the EE guys would be legally responsible.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
infzy said:
Reverse engineering isn't a copyright offence though
If I understanding the WIPO treaty correctly, which the US and EU have implemented, reverse engineering is a copyright violation unless it is done for interoperability.

Section (f)(1) from the DMCA in the US, which implements WIPO:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00001201----000-.html
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs
(My emphasis of "sole purpose".)

Can you make a case for this being a case of interoperability? I have no idea.

But in any case, the law is stupid.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
ColinJF, that doesn't apply to this. eesyntax error did NOTHING to the program. They only modified some of the data accessed by the program.

infomon

Smash Scientist
ColinJF, that doesn't apply to this. eesyntax error did NOTHING to the program. They only modified some of the data accessed by the program.
They would have had to reverse engineer, at the very least, Brawl's model texture system so that they'd know how to change the textures. Depending on how this is stored on the disc, it may constitute reverse engineering. Depends how ******** your legal system / judge is.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
I know EE had amazing textures and had a lot of them, but have u guys checked KITTY CORP web page? They have already released a few textures! I think Kitty Corp has potential but they need more members who wanna share they work as they do!! here is the link
http://www.kittycorp.xtreemhost.com/?p=157

I don't know but I can't believe the EE story, maybe it wasn't Nintendo's fault, Idk because KittyCorp had already released their batch before EE get closed, I know KittyC is not so popular like EE but they're sharing their textures! check it out! And if anyone here knows how to make texture feel free to join KC.

(why am I saying this? 'cuz TeadyMK (KC leader) has always helped me when I was a noob and I didn't know how to use some tools, and she always help and listen everyone, that's it)

infomon

Smash Scientist
They might not be in the U.S. or a similarly draconian country, so they might be perfectly okay to release their textures. idk tho

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
All you needed was the Homebrew Channel, the cIOS installer, Waninkoko's backup loader, and an ISO copy of Brawl burned onto a DVD-R. I have all those things, and now that Nintendo did this **** to my heroes, I'm going to start pirating my Wii games.

Talk about fightin' the powa. >:}

Aura_Fear

Smash Cadet
I hope someone at least saved the pics. I semi-understand Nintendo preventing Syntax Error from releasing the hacks to the public, but why take down the whole site? And wouldn't the hacks of other Nintendo characters be good advertising?

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I remember you needed a modchip for something but I think it was just for editing textures.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah, you just need gecko and some stuff on your SD card.

I miss all of their amazing textures. They were going to give me a reason to play brawl again.

D

Deleted member

All you needed was the Homebrew Channel, the cIOS installer, Waninkoko's backup loader, and an ISO copy of Brawl burned onto a DVD-R. I have all those things, and now that Nintendo did this **** to my heroes, I'm going to start pirating my Wii games.

Talk about fightin' the powa. >:}
can u run downloads with this or something? (that software that is)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Wait, you can edit textures without modchips too?
Nope, modchip isn't required.

You do the editing of textures on your computer (Photoshop and such programs are needed); you test/play the textures on the Wii.
As for why the modchip is obsolete is due to Backup Loader channels.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Stack Smash Has All Of ]ee['s Textures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Realese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Talk about a major bump... but I suppose it's better than making a dozen more topics on the subject, aye? >_>

FINALLY, a release. I'm rather saddened at the lack of Mewcario, though. He was the one that got me interested in EE in the first place. :<

Steelia

Smash Champion
Steelia - There's a Mewtwo texture for Lucario out there. >_>
I'm aware of the other Mewtwo texture out there (I know of it because I made it :p ), I just wish EE had released theirs so I could do a comparison. I've been looking forward to comparing theirs to mine for the longest time; I guess you could say it's a personal thing.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ The only people who were hosting the textures exceeded their bandwidth for the month, so you'll likely have to wait until May 1st before anyone can touch them again. ):

...That is, unless someone with the ENTIRE thing graciously uploads via a different source (a mirror, of sorts).

EDIT: Speak of the devil.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VVSGCPGY

AssaultFalcon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, some of the costumes are extremely awesome, it's just that i'd rather just have different colors of certain characters than a themed outfit, like captain falcon's green/pink outfit, i could do without that, might i suggest an eight gates guy/lee with captain falcon(Thnx)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Yeah, some of the costumes are extremely awesome, it's just that i'd rather just have different colors of certain characters than a themed outfit, like captain falcon's green/pink outfit, i could do without that, might i suggest an eight gates guy/lee with captain falcon(Thnx)
Is that right? Strange thing is, recolors are normally shunned amongst fellow Brawl hackers... despite most positive comments on them. Quite a predicament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom