• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talking vs Being Quiet During a Match

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just because of my natural personality, but I don't understand why people seem to completely stop talking during matches (even friendlies, too). I always keep the chatter going during my matches. Usually it's me just being silly, talking ****, and carrying on while my opponent is staring at the screen trying to concentrate. So question:

Do you like to talk during your matches, or are you quiet and try to concentrate? Discuss?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
it depends, i react to things, and i'll talk if someone else starts talking to me, but i wont strike up conversation with anyone. especially in tournament

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Psh, I hate people who talk during matches. It's a pre-emptive John they can bring up.

"OOOOH, I WAS TALKING DURING THAT MATCH, IT WAS DISTRACTED AND WASN'T SERIOUS"

blahblahblah

Case in point, I'm the guy who's concentrating since I play by reaction against my opponents.

<.< I hate sandbaggers too. Sometimes, it gets annoying even in friendlies for me... -.-

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
When I'm playing friendlies I don't mind having a nice convo going, but when I am playing more seriously (or playing better players) I'm concentrating to the point that I shut out most conversation. I play mostly on prediction, which means I usually try to count/catch onto (for instance) their teching habits.

Geist

Smash Master
If you're in a match where a lot is at stake, you'll find yourself mysteriously shutting up all of a sudden. If it's like first round of pools, a little conversation is completely fine. Just not too much.
I usually limit myself to comments on the things my opponents do, eg combos, slick maneuvers, etc.

The occasional roar from a successful triple knee is always accepted.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Psh, I hate people who talk during matches. It's a pre-emptive John they can bring up.

"OOOOH, I WAS TALKING DURING THAT MATCH, IT WAS DISTRACTED AND WASN'T SERIOUS"

blahblahblah

Case in point, I'm the guy who's concentrating since I play by reaction against my opponents.

<.< I hate sandbaggers too. Sometimes, it gets annoying even in friendlies for me... -.-
I've never, nor will I ever john about talking during a match. I just have so much fun playing melee, that I've never played a match without laughing/talking/or something like that. Melee is too much fun for me to play quietly, lol.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i always talk everytime i play, i do better when i talk.

some people just dont like to talk during matches maybe cause theyre working on something or if its a serious tourney match.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I've considered talking during tournaments solely to distract my opponent. Talking doesn't bother me, really. If a lot's at stake, I do shut up, though--unless I'm trying to mess with their head.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
talking is distracting when playing ur hardest

casual matches its fun

but when theres something on the line sometimes u gotta concentrate without talking to take the match seriously

if u can talk while concentrating, more power to u

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when ppl ramble about nonsense during a match i dont mind comments on combos and such but pointless rambling really throws my game off and annoys the **** out of me.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on the situation, both in friendlies and tournaments.

Whenever I play friendlies with multiple people, odds are I will talk a bit, but I will focus on the game more than I talk. If its me and one other person, most of the time I'll be focusing on the game.

In tournaments, I've only had a conversation once to my recollection. I was going against a Falco player in a tournament (unsure of who it was) and I immediately noticed he was better than me after I lost my first stock. When he was practicing multi-shines after I died, I commented and said "nice waveshine" (I was still unfamiliar with the terms and specific ATs). Immediately afterwards, we had a conversation throughout the match. Sure I got 3-stocked on the first match, but it was still fun just to talk with the guy and take a serious match not so seriously.

Often times though, in tournaments, keep your mouth shut and focus on the game. :p

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
I like to listen to my ipod and sing softly when I play or hum people usually say nice voice or nothing at all...sumtimes I talk on the phone 0.o I feel like some of you would punch me in the face XD

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
i think talking is totally fine

its just when you have someone who cant stop talking in a tourney set, that makes me angry.

unfortunately i do it sometimes... but i am ashamed.

utterly ashamed, i should be focused on the match not speech

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I usually make quick comments (usually a complement on a nice kill by my opponent) between stocks in tournament matches. Friendlies I like to be talking most of the time.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Even when I'm playing seriously, I'll talk. Like, not a conversation or anything, but I give compliments and I laugh and stuff. I usually squeal and flinch when I'm expecting a big hit or something. xD I'm usually never quit in smash unless I've been smashing for hours and I'm in a slump.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I'll talk during friendlies. Like the other day when my bro tried to DI out of my chaingrab, I said "WHERE YOU GOING?!" When I get a little more serious, I don't talk as much. I'll say "nice combo," maybe. I communicate more subtly, such as sucking my teeth when I predict and punish, or saying "Psssssshhh" when they try a combo, and I stop them.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for contributing to this thread guys. I was just curious about this particular subject. Even in really serious matches, I talk and laugh, lol. It doesn't distract me or anything, lol.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Unless its further in the bracket I talk my *** off.

And if its people I know its usually just like friendlies anyways.

*cough*Skler*cough*

XACE-K

Smash Master
It depends on the match for me. In friendlies, I'll talk, sandbag, etc. But when it's a serious match, I rarely talk. If I do, it's probably saying to myself "Why did I do that?" or if my opponent does something amazing, I'll go "Holy s***" or something along those lines. One thing I'll never do is trash talk because I suck at it.

O2Ash

Smash Cadet
I normally play quietly while my friends chatter away, commenting and screaming, etc. Of course I'll talk a lil and stuff.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I love messing with the other persons head....or making me and my opponent laugh .. It helps me alot...

Example : When Im playing peach I throw a turnip and it hits em in the face and im like you like that big juicy turnip in your mouth dont you? and there like wtf? and I laugh .. making me play better lol

Idk Im wierd .. I have to be happy to do good .. Me mad causes chaos

Farguade

Smash Apprentice
If I'm playing with people I know well I'll talk most of the time, makes it a bit of fun, but when I'm against a new face I'll only reply to them or save it until after the match. For some reason I can find myself feeling peoples random comments as sarcastic or demeaning ( something along the lines of nice grab/combo/missile when being four stocked ). I know they mean the best so its terrible of me to think along those lines, but eh it is who I am.

Also I don't like being around the ridiculously loud commentaries of "oh shi's" and "aaahs" or the backseat "you should have used x move here, what the heck are you doing". Again i know the person is just having fun and trying to be helpful, but they could save it and give me the advice after the session :p

SSBKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
When a friend comes over I start talking during the match. When it's me playing online (I don't like CPUs) I'm all quiet.

OMG It's Freaking :link2:!

Smash Master
I need to talk during the match. If people ask me to shut up I will, but if they don't I'll be like the fake Wes from that youtube video. Sometimes I quote it directly.

Whenever I do something stupid I say how it was mindgames and how that SD or whatever was so unpredictable and they were so unprepared for it and it was so effective and I'll probably do it again.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
If I start focusing on the match, I lose my ability to talk or listen coherently to anybody around me. If I try to start talking I might get 1-2 syllables out before I the sentence gets replaced by what I'm gonna do next in the match.

Most people think I just make weird noises while I play. It's actually me starting to talk but not getting anywhere.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Also I don't like being around the ridiculously loud commentaries of "oh shi's" and "aaahs" or the backseat "you should have used x move here, what the heck are you doing". Again i know the person is just having fun and trying to be helpful, but they could save it and give me the advice after the session :p
Must not like me around when we're smashing with the rest of the guys huh? xD

Supernova757

Smash Apprentice
If I'm just having a little friendly match in a tournament, or at someones house. Then yes, I talk. If it's at a tournament then no, I don't talk.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
IT'S MAYLAY BAYBEE!!!!

Seriously though, the crowd reactions are an intricate part of what makes competitive Melee so fun in my opinion.
I agree. Wombo Combo and the Darkrain Combos are way more epic because of the commentary. I like it, it adds hype and it makes me try even more. >=D

Farguade

Smash Apprentice
No worries victor, love you in every other aspect <3<3<3 good discussional value for sure and makes you who you are \o/

and yeah the big tourney final matches its all cool, just not when I'm under the knife :D

Top Bottom