• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on/off

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I have it off, mainly because I use Zelda the most, and sweetspotting the ledge with tap jump on can be difficult if I didnt already use my 2nd jump. And Utilts.

On an almost unrelated note, can you do a utilt by tilting the control stick and the cstick up at the same time?
lol I also use Zelda's (and Snake's and TL's, mainly) Utilt like that!

I knew it could be done downwards, but I really haven't tried any other direction (mhmmmm... time to tryout! xD), but if you're actually tilting the stick, you wouldn't need to hit the C-stick at all (my theory: it will result in Usmash)

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
What is tap jump? (excuse my newbish question, but I need 2 no)
If its jumping with the control stick, then I need that on (didnt know I had a choice) because I use the control stick to jump and stuff.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Just had to clear this up, it isn't as easy because you'd still have to input the UpB!
What? It's far easier than x or y+up b. This is an easy way to up b immediately from shield with tap jump off. It's only worse in this case to up b from shield if you're slow or something like that.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I leave tap jump on because that's the default controls... I don't really use it but it's needed for some of Link's ATs. However sometimes when I do u-tilt I tilt the control stick too hard and end up jumping but most of the time it doesn't happen.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
It depends on the character.
For example I have tap jump off with olimar, but the rest of my character cast doesn't.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Does anybody have rumble on here? It really annoys me and hurts my hands after a while >_> Just a random question

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
just as a random fact, the other day I was playing with :pikachu:, and I tried using my index and middle fingers to press buttons. Combos in ground was easy, but when I wanted to jump, I TAPPED THE STICK! (actually, I tried twice or trice until I noticed it wasn't going to jump like that XD).

BSP

Smash Legend
off. I can't do u tilts or short hop u airs with it on. I feel like it just messes my game up.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Tap on. You need to learn how soft to push the analog stick instead of jamming it. It makes things a lot more fluid for me.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
On on on! I need it to jump. I can't imagine jumping with x or y. I cstick my smashes and aerials, so tap jumping + cstick make for fewer button inputs, quickest possible smashes and aerials, etc.

I have no trouble with accidentally jumping instead of utilting. The only trouble I have with tilts at all is accidentally doing smashes. Or occasionally dropping through platforms or dashing. The jumping isn't an issue though.

So I can easily up-B OoS, cstick aerials and thus avoid DI/jumping issues with aerials, etc.

So yeah. Tap jump awl dai. :D

Crookers

Smash Cadet
On. Just because its what i'm used to. :/

I don't really know about the actual benefits to either, on just feels right.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I keep it off with Sonic, Kirby, & D3.

Easier running SH Up-Airs with Sonic.
Easier Up-Tilts and SH Up-Airs with Kirby.
I use the same tag for D3 & Kirby so no real preference there.

I keep it on for PT just for Hydro-planing with Squirtle.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've just noticed how random weird my config is:
-tap jump off
-X for jump
-Y for specials (Marth's OoS UpB isn't hard at all!)
-C-tilting in some cases

everything else is default

Tin Man

Smash Hero
for the people who ask how u play with it on, melee players pulled it off lol. I play with it on, I just tilt the contol stick, My biggest problem is tilting my sheild up to survive tornados and G&W bairs. I tried paying with tap jump offand I failed so hard at jumping.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
On cause it'll throw off my Melee game if I play it on off too much. With my mains and Falco and MARIO, I would most likely lose my SHFFL AUA ability (it's kinda weak as it is) and accidentally double-jump rising AUA instead.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
I play with mine OFF.

- Easier for me to preform Up-Tilt
- When it is set on ON, sometimes I mess up with a Grounded Up-B
- For DI purposes
- I just find using X easier to jump because it's of how close it is to the A button

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a melee player, I played one-player modes for a ridiculous amout of time and I'm plain used to tap jump because it was not an option back then.

I'll tell you a secret guys, that I have said to only one person yet in years.
When you do an attack and then want to jump (ex: up throw, up air), if you di it with Y or X or whatever your button: it makes you lose frames because you don't press the jump button at the exact frame you can press it, or you may just stand there without jumping because you pressed too early.

With tap jump, if you do an attack then time your tap jump even half-correctly: you will jump at the very first frame your character will be able to jump.

Seriously, I know a ****load of people have the tap jump off, and it's according to me a bad thing, but it's just me.

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I actually use tap jump to jump in melee and brawl. I do all technical things in melee (like wavedashing and stuff) with tap jump, and I use it in brawl for everything. Because I'm a Peach player in both games, I occasionally use y for ground floating, though.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
tap jump on > off thing.
AFAIK you can buffer jump with buttons too :)
I play with tap jump off, I use wiimote+nunchuk and I can do UpB OoS easily (I play as bowser or falcon) B+A+up.. I have controls far away from default :p

Crow!

Smash Lord
I'm a melee player, I played one-player modes for a ridiculous amout of time and I'm plain used to tap jump because it was not an option back then.

I'll tell you a secret guys, that I have said to only one person yet in years.
When you do an attack and then want to jump (ex: up throw, up air), if you di it with Y or X or whatever your button: it makes you lose frames because you don't press the jump button at the exact frame you can press it, or you may just stand there without jumping because you pressed too early.

With tap jump, if you do an attack then time your tap jump even half-correctly: you will jump at the very first frame your character will be able to jump.

Seriously, I know a ****load of people have the tap jump off, and it's according to me a bad thing, but it's just me.
Just wanted to make sure nobody gets taken in by this inaccuracy.

Brawl's buffering system makes jumping on the first possible frame easy, regardless of input method. Just make sure you press whatever you use to jump no earlier than 1/10 of a second before your move's IASA frame and you'll do it perfectly.

As for tap jump on/off, for the most part it's just a preference thing. There are a few specific actions that are impossible with it on (Yoshi doing eggs before double jumping comes to mind), and a few actions which, with the default GC control scheme, are slow with it off (jump out of shield -> upB takes a while to physically input). While it is easier to do a random uptilt with tap jump on, enough self control makes it possible.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Tap-jump should be on to optimize your gameplay, but it isn't NEEDED. OoS up-b and Up-B's from water is good, but not NEEDED. Once you realize how to work Tap-jump without accidently jumping, tap-jump has no down-side and only positive atrributes.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
First of all, Snake users should ALWAYS have tap jump OFF. If you don't know why I say this, then I welcome you to Brawl, my friend. Enjoy a smelly boot up your ....
With that said, the only valid argument for why you should have tap jump OFF is because it makes u-tilts easier to perform. However, I play with it ON because u-tilts are always only part of my aerial combos. Immediately when I hit the ground after an aerial I may combo it into a u-tilt and tap jump has never once messed that up for me.

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I have it off. I've always jumped by pressing up and I only use Snake about 10% of the time, just for fun. The rest of the time I use Pika, Ike, and Kirby who you don't really need it for.

Top Bottom