• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump on or off?

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I have a small dilemma.

I searched already, and I didn't find a thread on this, so I think it's safe to post, if not, please close this.

Should I leave Tap Jump on or off? I've had it off for the entire time I've mained Olimar, but seeing as how you can Up Smash out of shield immediately, it seems more useful to leave it on. The problem is, when I leave it on, and try to use Uair with othe characters, as well as sometimes Olimar, I end up jumping when using Uair, wasting a jump, or jumping when using some other attack.

I'm kind of leaning toward having it off, but I feel like leaving it off will limit how good I could get with Olimar.

For now I think I'm going to leave it off until I get a good answer.

Thank you for reading this, and please reply.

asob4

Smash Champion
preference really
i have mine off to make sure i don't waste my jump trying to DI or doing an uair
it also makes utilt that much easier to do. my fingers are quick enough to do a rising aerial so tap jump just becomes an issue to me.

KBM

Smash Ace
well you can up smash out of shield with the C stick just fine. up tilting out of shield though is an EXTREMELY valuable skill however, and is much easier to do with tap jump off. I don't like tap jump that much, since it gets hard to differentiate between tilts and jumps in the heat of a good match, ya know?

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
Thank you for the replies. I kind of felt that having Tap Jump off was a better choice, and I preferred it that way, but I just wanted to make sure.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Tap jump off, imo. Another problem with it is that if you try to sh up-b, you might accidentally jump twice, and end up with significant landing lag, which sucks.

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
Most people find it easier with tap jump off. However, I play with tap jump on because I don't really mess up with it the way everyone else does. The main risk of having it is that if your fingers aren't swift enough, the up portion of upsmash/upb/uptilt/updi can register as a jump. Anyone that was decent at melee probably won't have trouble with tap jump since good melee players were forced to adapt and tighten the gap between the pressings of up and of the complementary action.

I think most olimar's I've met have it turned off though.

Cook

Smash Master
Tap jump off, imo. Another problem with it is that if you try to sh up-b, you might accidentally jump twice, and end up with significant landing lag, which sucks.
You may also accidentally jump when doing a grounded up-b.

You can still u-smash out of shield with tap jump off, you just have to hit the jump button first; I'm not sure if it's faster to hit jump and then u-smash, or to just release the shield and u-smash, but I'm guessing the first is faster because you have to almost input the separate commands at the same time.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
Maybe i'm the only one on the on side but i like my jump on. I mean it just what feels natural to me. and i have no problem Utilt-ing or Uair-ing its just getting to the point of your fingers being sensitive enought to where you can do a tilt when need be and a full jump when the time comes. But really you should pick one and try to stick with it

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I like off
it seems more natural to me to jump with a button, plus I <3 utilt

I got used to tap jump in melee, but I aaaaaaaaaaaaalway hated it

Top Bottom