• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting For Glory: Your thoughts?

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
Taunts are made for exactly that, taunting. So I don't get bothered when others use it after a kill. Usually I only use it after they get a good kill, just to tell them good job.

I usually just hang out and wait after I get a kill, like to stay humble.

Smitus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Secret-Stork
3DS FC
4914-4481-5695
I'm pretty neutral when it comes to taunting. If it's after a sick KO, then I'll taunt or accept it when my opponent taunts.Taunting in the beginning is a bad idea since the majority of players will attack you mid-taunt. But excessive taunting and especially teabagging is not cool. :/

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Taunt can be used in different contexts. If it looks like they're taunting you to get you salty, and you get salty, then they've won the mental battle

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
As a Falcon main, I will typically make sure to ask at least once for your moves. Its my duty

But its extremely salty in here. Taunts are taunts. If I taunt after my kill, its probably because I AM in fact saying "I'm better than you". If you decided to play a style that I find infuriating, I will taunt after the win in slow motion with my salute to your saltiness.

Beginning of the match taunts are where its at. If you taunt at the beginning, I will taunt as well and wait until you make a "competitive move" to start. I'll typically test the lag/make a quick movement back and forth to see if the person is ready to start because taking cheap percents at the start would sully my win

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
As a Falcon main, I will typically make sure to ask at least once for your moves. Its my duty
Falcon's true taunt is to land the Falcon Punch though. Bonus points if it kills, because in this game it often doesn't.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Falcon's true taunt is to land the Falcon Punch though. Bonus points if it kills, because in this game it often doesn't.
So hard in this game. I have a few recorded kills with it on my DS, but throwing it typically is asking them to bop me. Knee of justice is the new meta

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I do find it funny when I 2 stock someone 4x in a row without a word. Then they score 1 kill and want to drop the taunt.
Lmao, I taunt back on respawn, kill em and taunt again. Then they quit.
I avoid taunting because I never know when I'll get my **** kicked in.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I hate when players taunt when I kill myself in a dumb way.
I try to avoid taunting except in the beginning and the end. But there are cases where I would taunt to kind of give a praise to the player for doing something noteworthy.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
I taunt after stock. They're fun.

The fact that taunts make people so salty just makes me want to taunt more. You don't want me to taunt, then stop dying. Simple.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I hate when players taunt when I kill myself in a dumb way.
I try to avoid taunting except in the beginning and the end. But there are cases where I would taunt to kind of give a praise to the player for doing something noteworthy.
This caught me off guard one time. I nailed a sweet knee kill and the guy taunted on respawn to basically say "that was sick". I DO think that is a good sentiment

JKarmageddon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4828-4911-5045
Taunts are just little victory dances for me. I almost always use one after I get a kill.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Taunting is taunting. The entire purpose of taunting is to get people riled up. Being mad makes people not think as straight at they could.

In a competitive format, you do what you must to win. A good taunt after the opponent is KOed by you, or they SD is the perfect time. Because now the person is more angry, and they might play more aggressively.

Perfect for being a Rosalina player. :3
Making someone angry just so they play worse, that doesn't sound very fun

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, if someone gets riled up when a character taunts them, then they need to have thicker skin. So long as they aren't doing it excessively, I see no problem.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
if it works go for it. Fragile mentalities are gonna bend like an iphone 6 regardless.

as for me I taunt whenever my opponent falls, SD, Kill whatever. It's a habit. One i'm not sorry for.

If they taunt at me oh well I'm usually more frustrated at the fact that I got KO'ed/SD'ed than a taunt anyway

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Don't know if this if it's just me, but I rarely if ever taunt, even after taking an opponent's stock. If I do taunt, it'll most likely be because they self destructed, but even then I don't always taunt. I suppose it just depends on my mood for me I guess.

D

Deleted member 269706

Honestly, I taunt whenever I want. I don't do it to be malicious, I simply do it because I can. I don't have intentions to offend anyone and I'm sure it's the same for at least 95% of other players. I'm sorry, but if you get offended by a 1 second animation, you need to chill out.

vypex

Smash Cadet
I'll taunt at the end on occasion more a force of habit going back to my melee days, me and my best friend would taunt after each successful match, never took offence to it, just more of a victory cheer before the game cut us off.

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
There are only two-no 4 occasions when I taunt in For Glory.
1) At the beginning of a match when I'm having a mirror match with the opponent out of sheer coincidence.
2) At the beginning of a match when I'm going against a fellow Fire Emblem character while using Lucina.
3) When a taunt heavy/ground humping opponent gets what they deserve.
3.5) When I'm saltier than vinegar.
4) When something goofy happens like me failing to recover out of stupidity.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Always taunt at the end so that you can get the Fighter Stance bonus. That's a whopping 100 points

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I only taunt if someone taunts after they KO me and I KO them. Taunting is fun in my book.

From then in, it's a taunt war after every KO.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I pretty much don't mind taunting in local matches, since I can usually tell it's all in good fun for the most part. I tend to have a problem with taunting online with randoms (not with friends or people I know), usually because I can't tell if they're being a bad sportsman or not. Though....I should probably get over it. ^^;;

Loki

Smash Apprentice
As some people said, I try to use taunting more in the context of sportsmanship and friendship than to instigate others. Taunting to... well, taunt, is a no cool in my book. If they taunt at the beggining of a match or at some special moment, I stop and taunt back or simply let them be. However, if they taunt after a KO or something I take that as a challenge and subsecuently dispose of their sorry asses, taunting them back at every chance out of disrespect, most of times leading to them rqing because of the sudden lose-streak they have to endure.

So yeah... dont taunt if you are not ready for the ass-whooping you might recieve after taunting

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I love taunts. They're all great and I do one every single time I take a stock from someone.

And judging by some of the posts I'm reading here, taunts are doing their job xD make people be like "Ah HEEEELLLLLLL NAH"

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I sometimes taunt with duckhunt while edgeguarding with a can against chars it's dumb to challenge offstage. Can make them more aggro and weak to can and im not moving anyway. Mostly something i just test out when I'm ahead though, don't make a habit of it.

People who spam it after every kill are dumb.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i find it funny that people get so bent out of shape over taunts. its not like its CoD where that punk kid kills you once and doesnt shut up on voice chat about how he owned you.

I taunt all the time, but typically after i killed you via preventing recovery not solid clear or you suiciding. If my candy-kong (pink dk) manages to get you just over the edge and meteor you into death, youre damned straight im going to downtaunt that lol.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Maybe it's just me but I always have a habit of taunting when I get any sort of kill on the opponent. My personal favorites are Shulk's "really feeling it" and Mega Man's teleport.

I'm personally not bothered by other people's taunts online as my friends do the same thing I do, but DHD only slightly annoys me with the laugh.

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
I don't mind taunting, but out of respect I don't taunt if the other person doesn't. Tea bagging to me is disrespectful, and taunting when I SD is kind of lame.

But it does feel good that when I am having a series of fun matches and I taunt at the beginning of a match to let them know I am having a good time, and they taunt back to agree. I even taunt sometimes to congratulate someone on a skillful/difficult KO, and they to me.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I brought up the topic to my sister and she gave me her insight. She's not really a very good Smash player so she finds it mean when someone taunts at her when they're clearly beating her.
So let me reiterate, if it's overkill or if my opponent gimps his recovery, I don't taunt. Instead I crouch by the edge as if I'm kneeling in respect. Other than that I have no issue with taunting and tea bagging is just for an occasion when I don't have enough time to taunt or the opponent has frustrated me and has earned the "super tea bag time". Taunt me, tea bag me, I don't care. It's part of the game.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I kind of like to taunt at the start of the match if the guy doesn't immediately start coming towards me. It's kind of my sign of saying "Have fun, and don't take it too seriously." I also like to do it when both of us are keeping our distance in the middle of a fight, to try to get them to come in closer. Granted it has to be a short taunt.

I'm actually pretty self concious around people I don't know when I fight. Over the years, I've gotten into a habit of taunting my friends any chance I can get, but against a random person I'm usually a little timid to taunt after taking a stock, even though it feels alkward just standing around that one or two seconds waiting for them to respawn... Though I've gotten into the habit of flipping around with Villager's nair while I wait for them to respwan instead...

But on the other hand, what is teabagging, exactly? I've seen that word being thrown around a bit, and I'm not quite sure what it means... I mean, I know what it is in FPS games, but Smash Bros?

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Villager's taunts are too long for me to be comfortable taunting with her, so I can't , even if I wanted to. But when I'm playing Robin I like to take advantage and charge my tomes.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I taunt with friends, but usually online in For Glory I won't be the first one to taunt. When the other guy does though, then comes my taunt spam on my next kill. It's important to me that my opponent celebrating his one kill realizes that I've been generous by not celebrating my last 9. I'm THAT guy. When my taunting gets disabled I resort to headbanging. At least that's what I've always called it since the 64 days cause crouching repeatedly with Ness makes him headbang. With Bowser Jr it looks like he's repeatedly jumping up and down with joy. It's its own taunt complete with an annoying sound effect.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I think depending on the context taunting is a must and a welcome part to many matches. I think it's rude to attack someone when they open the game with a taunt, but I also completely accept when people do, but I know who I'm dealing with off the bat. I have the same view as the op and see them as greetings and communication. Especially with the control of which taunt comes out. Say you're using Kirby one round. Bust out his down taunt off the bat for a quick "Hi!"
it doesn't hurt anyone.

Taunting is so vital to smash for me though... If you take it seriously in a negative way you should take a breather from the game and stop challenging that person you're playing against. There is a context where it's not fun though. In the hands of a pro bullying a new player for instance, and tossing them in... that's just weak. But that's an issue with the player, not taunts.

But in competetive scenarios there are instances where taunting really can ignite your enemy and that's a beautiful thing... Anyone who has been cheeky and attempted taunting against a decent player and had it backfire knows it's a risk/reward type of feeling haha.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
i like using pac mans down taunt (music notes and ghosts) when people are distracted and im chilling in the middle of the carnage.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I kind of like to taunt at the start of the match if the guy doesn't immediately start coming towards me. It's kind of my sign of saying "Have fun, and don't take it too seriously." I also like to do it when both of us are keeping our distance in the middle of a fight, to try to get them to come in closer. Granted it has to be a short taunt.

I'm actually pretty self concious around people I don't know when I fight. Over the years, I've gotten into a habit of taunting my friends any chance I can get, but against a random person I'm usually a little timid to taunt after taking a stock, even though it feels alkward just standing around that one or two seconds waiting for them to respawn... Though I've gotten into the habit of flipping around with Villager's nair while I wait for them to respwan instead...

But on the other hand, what is teabagging, exactly? I've seen that word being thrown around a bit, and I'm not quite sure what it means... I mean, I know what it is in FPS games, but Smash Bros?
It's just repeatedly crouching.

Top Bottom