• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting for provocation

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
We all use the taunt (or at least most of us), but has anyone used the taunt move strategically, like to provoke your opponent into attacking, but he ends up being counterattacked? I know I have. Taunts IMO can be used strategically, but mostly, for me, it's just a habit. Discuss.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
one time this fox used his taunt where he goes on fire like 3 times and the 4rth he actually used his up+b to hit me O_o lol i quit online

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
depends. if youre using snake, when they run over, you throw the box at them for some added protection but it isnt really a good idea against projectile or ranged hitters

Uffe

Smash Hero
one time this fox used his taunt where he goes on fire like 3 times and the 4rth he actually used his up+b to hit me O_o lol i quit online
Epic win. There's another taunt my brother and I have used. If you use Marth, and if you have a Smash Ball, tap up on the D-pad, and Marth will raise his sword. Since Marth's Final Smash is similar to the taunt when it begins, it has tricked people that we have fought. My brother and I don't main Marth, nor do we have him as an alternative. We don't use items in our gameplay, but we've done this when our friends would have items on, or if we were in Basic Brawl.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I taunt for my friends.

Funny story...my cousin was getting tired of my Pit's "You're not ready yet!" taunt so he turned the volume off...so I would turn to him and say taunt quotes and other random stuff to compensate. I don't think he liked that.

Scala

Smash Ace
mmm I don't use my taunts at all, and whenever my opponent uses them I just find them as an opening (that they gave me) to attack.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Strangely enough, repeatedly saying "Your too Slow!" often makes people mad.
Pit has the meanest taunts. "You're not ready yet!" He also has that saying at the end of the match, "You can't defeat me," or "Too easy!" Wow, Pit, that's real nice of you. And to think, my brother Dryn uses Pit as his second.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Well the main reason that I made this thread was that I remembered I was fighting my friend (I was mario, he was ike), so i killed him, then used my d taunt, knowing he'd try to attack me, so he runs up to me, and I shield grab him, and we all know ike is screwd in the air :laugh:

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Against people who suck or are easily agitated, I move just outside of the range of the attack that they're doing, and taunt. It works to get people pissed off.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Haha, wow that's actually pretty clever.

Sometimes I use non-traditional taunts (Like G&W up-tilt, his number 1 flag lol). It's faster, and sometimes lures them into thinking I'm vulnerable... But usually not :ohwell:

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
another char specific: if you use samus start inputting up n down taunts, your opponent might try to interrupt or get you after you transform, and depending on timing, you might be able to start a combo or something.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I think Luigi has the only taunt that can spike.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah if you use Dedede and do your crouch taunt, people often forget that you can actually down-tilt out of it...:laugh:

Or when you're Pikachu and you crawl with your rear/face towards them they run at you and you just Dsmash...what also works nice is when you rapidly crouch down with any character and you just time it so when they run at you, down-tilt.

Basically any annoying taunt lures people too. :laugh:

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Pissing people off IRL is more effective. Although you might get called out for poor sportsmanship, if I'm desperate, I occasionally try taunting my opponent verbally. If you're smart, you can know what to say to really grind someone's gears.

Captain Awesome

Smash Rookie
Pissing people off IRL is more effective. Although you might get called out for poor sportsmanship, if I'm desperate, I occasionally try taunting my opponent verbally. If you're smart, you can know what to say to really grind someone's gears.
Problem with that is that if you do that and still lose, not only do you get a bad rep for poor sportsmanship, but you look like a giant tool as well, especially if there are other people watching.

I've seen people leave tournies utterly humiliated (ie: people pointing and laughing) cause they tried trash talking and lost anyways.

It's really a risky proposition and the bad outweighs the good, even if you win.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I've used the "you're too slow" taunt to grind people's gears. Other taunts as well. It especially works against my friends because one taunt can get one friend of mine overly worked up. I stand next to the edge and taunt. His response: "OH HELL NO, I'M GONNA KICK YOUR @#$!" and charges straight at me. Grab him then throw him out for a kill XD He's stupid enough to keep going after me when i'm near the edge, all out of pure anger. Thanks to that, he ends up losing his two stock lead over everyone and is eliminated first LMAO

Just taking advantage of people's weaknesses you know?

Lichodus

Smash Rookie
taunting for to provoke someone would probably work best with G&W and Ness, or anyone with fast taunts

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Problem with that is that if you do that and still lose, not only do you get a bad rep for poor sportsmanship, but you look like a giant tool as well, especially if there are other people watching.

I've seen people leave tournies utterly humiliated (ie: people pointing and laughing) cause they tried trash talking and lost anyways.

It's really a risky proposition and the bad outweighs the good, even if you win.
I'm not saying trash talk. I guess you'd have to see/hear what I'm doing to really get it.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I taunt too much but it's out of habit, (the cpu's tend to do it when you get knocked off pretty far in N64 so I adopted it.) But it probably makes me look like a bum anyway, as I end up taunting in the middle of doubles too.

But taunting to full charged oil panic with Game and Watch is too good. ;)

nightSN

Smash Ace
omg i was playing with my friend and he was toonlink and he used a taunt right next to me and i thought it was using his jabs : (( LOL

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You know isn't is kinda dumb to use kill moves as a taunt due to move degeneration?
Wouldn't it be better to use moves you don't usually use?
Well idk how this whole thing works whatev.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I don't know...I thought the attack had to connect for the damage to deplete. I called myself testing this out by missing with attacks on purpose before connecting with them, and the damage would still start out normal. I could be wrong.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
I never forget to taunt after I KO somebody! I don't know if I taunt to set traps for my opponents, but I do like to taunt right in their faces! :chuckle: It makes them really angry, because it makes it look like you're not even focusing on the match. So, I guess that I may be using it semi-strategically, but mainly to annoy them. (I main Kirby, so you should know what taunt I'm talking about)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I only do this if the character has a VERY annoying taunt. Prime examples are Sonics 'You're too slow', Peachs 'Lallalalaaala' (trust me, can **** people off) and Pit's.....anything.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I don't usually taunt. I forget I even have taunts at times. I only ever taunt at the end of a team match just so I can get Wolf's howl in at the end (it sounds so beautiful). But yeah, I never taunt. Instead, as I wait for someone to come back from being stocked, I'll run off a ledge, hop back on, and then repeat until they attack. I don't know why. I assume I'm just smash hyper sometimes, always having something to do.

Top Bottom