• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TCS IV Results, Tuscaloosa, AL February 7, 2009

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Another great tourney that I've been too. Usually make it out of pools, but not with the people of this level. I shall train hard and be sure to make it out of pools next time.

@Kalm- you are the **** man. Extremely fun to hang around with and really great player considering that was your first tourney, I mean I've been to 3 already and still suck when compared to you. That crazy Donkey Kong punch win against Munkus on Luigi's Mansion was the greatest thing I've ever seen.
@Ref, that should've been recorded man, it should've been. The epic thing about it was that I actually hit him behind me, which was the only thing that made the punch connect fast enough to where he couldn't stop it. I had another epic moment against Nu's Lucas when I cargo threw him into the edge of the platform at Japes and DK punched him right after, he didn't even move, the hitstun just let him slide into the water. It looked so hardcore that I heard someone in the back just go "Oh my God...".

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
First off, I am Kira.

@Mr. Referee- I am surprised you got that off on me as well. After that battle, I decided that if you were ever going to successfully get me all the way over to the edge to spike me, I would see if a counter could break it (the spike itself). Luckily, it never came to that. I tried dolphin-slashing out, but I have almost no practice vs. a good Falco, so my timing obviously sucked. Luckily, I beat you in that set... and while you might not agree to losing to me, the only time you had an advantage in any of our matches was throughout the one where you opened with a chaingrab and had a stock advantage... at which point I still nearly caught up ^.^"

@everyone else I faced-I haven't practiced with shielding, so until I get more serious about Smash, I will continue to not press the L or R buttons (though maybe I'll try Z more ">.>), because for now, that would only screw up my timing for everything else. I know I should utilize counter more, but as I play currently, I'm all right with losing to people clearly better than me, and will only use counter in a match where I am VERY CLOSE in skill but will lose if I do not use counter. That is the only way I beat Shock ^.^ Though now I wish I had used it against Jeff in pools... but the tournament is over, so it is too late to lament.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Hey Kira and welcome to the boards, post a lot, drink and be merry.

I don't know if I matched you at all, If I did it was when I was on the far right TV hogging friendlies against NU, Vyse, and a couple other people.

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
Nah, Kalm, I heard a lot of things about your play at the tourney, but I know I didn't play you and I'm not even sure I got to watch one of your matches ;.;

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
lol, t1j, I faced you two or three times, and you didn't notice a complete lack of shielding and airdodging?

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah that's a shame, and also weird.

How do you hear things about somebody at a tourny but not get to watch their matches? Or are you just talking about what's being said in the forums?

Personally I think shield should be banned.

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
No, a couple of my friends were literally talking about your DK. And I was thinking "Ah, I haven't seen a good DK even though I remember people talking about him as a Snake counter a while back..."

I might have actually watched part of one of your matches against Cam after that thought, unless that was some other DK.

and that would be SO AMAZING if shield was banned XD I would be good without almost any more practice! I don't actually want it to happen, though, it would just be crazy epic.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Ah okay, well it had to be my DK if you saw one. Majist used DK way back when but I don't think he played him at all at the tourny, and Will wasn't there either. You lucked out if you got to see any of the Cam matches, they were really good and close, save for the Mansion one.

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
First off, I am Kira.

@Mr. Referee- I am surprised you got that off on me as well. After that battle, I decided that if you were ever going to successfully get me all the way over to the edge to spike me, I would see if a counter could break it (the spike itself). Luckily, it never came to that. I tried dolphin-slashing out, but I have almost no practice vs. a good Falco, so my timing obviously sucked. Luckily, I beat you in that set... and while you might not agree to losing to me, the only time you had an advantage in any of our matches was throughout the one where you opened with a chaingrab and had a stock advantage... at which point I still nearly caught up ^.^
Well like I said I did run into your forward smash too many times to count. I forgot how long that attack is and I need to stop using phantasm to try an hit my opponent and just catch the ledge with it. If I hadn't ran into that attack so many times I'm sure I would've won. I should've just hanged back, shot lasers and shield grabbed you every time you jumped in cause you always come down from the air with an attack so it's quite easy to read it.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Well like I said I did run into your forward smash too many times to count. I forgot how long that attack is and I need to stop using phantasm to try an hit my opponent and just catch the ledge with it. If I hadn't ran into that attack so many times I'm sure I would've won. I should've just hanged back, shot lasers and shield grabbed you every time you jumped in cause you always come down from the air with an attack so it's quite easy to read it.
...and now you know how to beat Kira...

If he jumps up from below you, he will uair.
If you run towards him, he will forward smash or use dancing blades.
If you do nothing, he will do nothing.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah Marth is one of the worst people to play reckless against, but he can be shut down by projectiles fairly well. I shoud've watch more of that match but I only got bits and pieces of it. I can't ever fight a Marth, no matter how good or bad, without taking it slow and picking only the best times to get a hit in. You have to trick and fake out great Marths a lot too, which is the only thing that keeps me from absolutely hating the fight because it's really pretty fun.

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
Cam, you know perfectly well that I have mindgames when need be for someone who gets tricky with dodging my approach.

But I will admit that my #1 weakness that I haven't found a way to counter yet is someone who will constantly shield my jump+dancing blades approach and then grab me. if that's the only thing they ever do, I believe I could be defeated flawlessly. So that's what I'm working on fixing right now O.o

That's actually also why I plan to use grab in the future. I think it'll help that particular jumping approach... thanks to Marth's still-relatively-impressive grab range.

Also @ Mr. Referee, I could say the same thing about your predictability. No offense, but compared to Nice1, your falco was so slow that I literally walked into the position for a tippered fsmash three times just to wait for you to phantasm there. AND YOU STILL DID IT!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yesz shoutouts

T1J - Didn't get to play you outside of doubles (which you wrecked us spectacularly), but I saw your matches with 3GOD. Too good. Also your tourney hosting skills: 10/10
nice1 - Falco. He's also too good. Too bad I didn't get to play you in singles so I could get properly wrecked.
MOOGLE! - :D
Cam - Luck, skill, the line is hard to draw ;P Nah, but I have to take what I can get if I'm gonna play falcon. Still your pikachu is really good, doubles matches were crazy.
DanGR - *whistles* You are too amazing, when I ended up losing I was so amazed at how good you were (and that I could even keep up) that I couldn't have been happier with the result. You are way amazing.
Jeff - You probably have the worst Yoshi I've ever seen ever.
Robert - You probably have the worst Jeff I've ever seen ever.
3GOD - You're pretty cool :D
Pops - Those low tier matches were SO close. Probably the closest of the tournament. Most intense matches I played to be sure. Your PT was ridiculously fast and awesome.
Munkus - ROCK SMASH!!
TheBrownScourge - Your bowser is hella good.
BOMB - Sorry you hate low tiers (link mainer <___< ) but your link is surprisingly good.
Everyone else who I can't seem to recall at the moment but will inevitably remember as soon as I submit this post or the next day or sometime soon - Sooner or later I'll remember the moments we shared. I had no unhappy moments in the tournament, and come to think of it I barely had any neutral moments either, so if you had any contact with me at all chances are I'll remember you as awesome.

Also whoever recorded those matches of the loser's finals (singles, me vs DanGR) needs to upload those like PRONTO.

Memorable moments:
Doubles:
1) Melee-style Falcon fastfalled sweetspot knee against Falco during his up-b FTW. Certainly a morale booster for me.
2) 2v1 against Cam and still having trouble. Too good.
3) Getting wrecked by T1J and nice1

Low-Tier:
1) Pops vs me. Too insane/intense for words.
2) Grand finals MK vs CF too good.
3) THAT REST. WHAT. ACCIDENTAL REST FTW? WHAT
4) Winning LOL "BEST OF THE WORST"

Singles:
1) TheBrownScourge - some heartfelt advice which I seriously took to heart (despite probably portraying otherwise).
2) DanGR - That was the best I think I have ever played ever. Even though I lost I felt like a winner because I had above and beyond the best I could have imagined playing. You are still so good it's hard to explain (something about how fast you play).

This post is getting too long, I want to remember everything and everyone, but it's getting later and later and I have to get up so early tomorrow ;-;

I might edit with people/things I remember.

Also also post those videos I have to relive that glory D:

P.S. 3GOD, Jeff, Robert, and I are all from MS. I doubt there's a PR for brawl in MS, seeing as how we're possibly the only four people who play it competitively. >_>

Edit- How is this so long? wat

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I was hoping that I could beat moogle so that I could play your snake. Your snake looks a lot more fluid than mine.
but I probably wouldn't have snake dittoed you, would have went rob or diddy

its funny how I can sweep my pool, 2-0 nice1 and 3GOD, come really close to beating moogle

and then get totally wrecked by danGR's olimar lol

ShockisBack

Smash Rookie
my low tier pick was ness/PT
singles was kirby/snake

for those who dont know, I'm Shock, the name was already taken on smashboards :(

Who?: i never got the chance to play you, but that accidental rest was insane!
T1J: i only got to play you in doubles, but you have a great snake.
nice1: i'm glad i knew the kirby-falco matchup pretty well, otherwise you would have 3-stocked me for sure. your snake was off the chain as well.
DanGR: i WOULD get matched up with you at the beginning of low tier. thank you for not using the charizard chaingrab on my ness. :)
pops: good match in singles brackets. you have a pretty good tink.
MrRef: insane match, one of the closest i had. i'm so glad pictochat is a counterpick, i'm sorry that time ran out though, i normally would try to avoid that. Also, thanks for beating Jeff once and making it a three-way tie to keep me in the tournament!
Jeff: omg great yoshi. another close match, luckily i had pictochat and time running out on my side.
Spade: another set of close matches! pictochat once again saved me with time running out.
Cam: i'm glad i didnt have to play you in the tourney, i play you in friendlies all the time and the pika of yours is SCARY.
Kira: good matches. i still cant believe you used counter 6 times in our matchup!
anomaly: you have a good snake, but should probably use projectiles.

i hope i didn't miss anyone.

HikaruYami

Smash Rookie
Or you could just use the shield breaker and then they would stop immediately.
--.--" No time to charge fully. They would roll to the opposite side of where I'm going to land and fsmash me or something. Unless they're slower than dirt. Bad idea. What the hell kind of genius OP move do you think shieldbreaker is?! I rate it somewhere in the area of a reverse Warlock Punch for Icantotallypullthisoffibility -.-" At least when used for an approach.

Winnar

Smash Lord
its funny how I can sweep my pool, 2-0 nice1 and 3GOD, come really close to beating moogle

and then get totally wrecked by danGR's olimar lol
You're not the only one. danGR's olimar is just too good D:

Man I wish I got the chance to play nice1 outside of doubles though.

P.S. matches + youtube = :D

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
to:
everyone i played: i really enjoyed all of the matches........except the first matches against nice1.....he so made me look like i just got the game yesterday

pikacam: i so wanted to play pikachu dittos...........outside of a doubles tournament where i was left to fend for myself

everyone in my pool: i really hate that i had to forfeit.....this is the LAST TIME i bring anyone with me to a tournament....(or anything that lasts more than 2 hours)

and to those i was telling about the video (with the jigglypuff at 999)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-uthPQ***
the three asterisk are EFF AY GEE

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks guys. XD

Winnar, Nice1 was the one recording our matches (should I call you Who? or Winnar? D: ) I'm not sure if it was his camera though.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
to:
everyone i played: i really enjoyed all of the matches........except the first matches against nice1.....he so made me look like i just got the game yesterday
I don't even have this game. Maybe i'll get a wii for christmas

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If i play Who again, there needs to be cameras. Those matches made me remember why i love all three pokemon.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Pops - Your squirtle was WAY too good, especially against my falcon. I think the Falcon vs Ivysaur matchup is in Falcon's favor (if I play patiently), and the Charizard matchup can really go either way depending on who has the momentum. I think if you had stayed squirtle for that last stock of that last match I would have lost, because you were making some kind of ridiculous comeback. I got so lucky with that flub knee trip to u-smash. >_<

DanGR - XD Usually I go by Winnar, but I can't bring myself to have people call me that IRL. The A in Winnar doesn't stand out nearly as strongly when spoken aloud, so conveying the subtle humor doesn't really work. I have no idea where WHO? came from, but it's been my tag on Brawl since day 1. I don't really prefer one over the other, whatever you feel like calling me is fine :O

Reimeii - That video is unavailable? I dunno it isn't showing up, even after replacing the asterisks. Perhaps they have specific capitalizations? :O

And because repition is probably pretty awesome, upload matches plz lol ur mi favrit :dD

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
--.--" No time to charge fully. They would roll to the opposite side of where I'm going to land and fsmash me or something. Unless they're slower than dirt. Bad idea. What the hell kind of genius OP move do you think shieldbreaker is?! I rate it somewhere in the area of a reverse Warlock Punch for Icantotallypullthisoffibility -.-" At least when used for an approach.
Look, I'm not a bad Marth myself so I know what I'm talking about. You don't have to charge it much to do some good shield damage and you don't even have to hit with it. It's more of a mindgame by letting them know that you will occasionally throw out a sheild breaker they won't stand there and shield grab as much cause there's always that danger. I'm just trying to help you get around shields since you refuse to use them yourself. Very few people in the game have such a move so you gotta use what you got.

Oh and I forgot to put a shoutout for Majist for coming up and saying "I don't spam tornado." to Munkus at the end of his and Kalm's set cause that was hilarious and had perfect timing. Keep up the good work! lol

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Look, I'm not a bad Marth myself so I know what I'm talking about. You don't have to charge it much to do some good shield damage and you don't even have to hit with it. It's more of a mindgame by letting them know that you will occasionally throw out a sheild breaker they won't stand there and shield grab as much cause there's always that danger. I'm just trying to help you get around shields since you refuse to use them yourself. Very few people in the game have such a move so you gotta use what you got.

Oh and I forgot to put a shoutout for Majist for coming up and saying "I don't spam tornado." to Munkus at the end of his and Kalm's set cause that was hilarious and had perfect timing. Keep up the good work! lol
Agreed. A NON-charged shield breaker will take out at least 75% of the enemy's shield instantly. If they don't get freaked out and drop the shield and dodge away (which most people do), it'll break in no time, especially when you keep up the pressure. You really don't ever want to charge the shield breaker unless you're using it to recover anyway.

And don't use Counter much. It's not a good move. You'll be punished more often than it will save you. When you get really good with prediction and luring people, then you can throw in a Counter every now and then. Use it very sparingly. If you rely on it too heavily, it'll burn you.

And start getting into the habit of utilizing your shield in your playstyle, like NOW. Don't wait, cuz all of your timing skills or whatever are already WRONG without it. Up-B out of shield is a fantastic move for Marth. Plus, Brawl has made it so freaking easy to Power Shield attacks. Make use of it!!

3GOD

Smash Ace
theONEjanitor - Wow! Our matches were all super close and fun in both pools and bracket...you really step up your game when you get to about 80% of your last stock! :) I gotta learn to not shield so much so that I don't get setup for grab release stuff. Also, thanks for hosting a great tourney...this was really the best one so far in my opinion....also, I did use Lucas to counterpick pops in the main bracket, so I think he should get some of the credit for my 5th place spot.

DanGR - It was good to see you again...I don't think we've played since July or something of last year. You've definitely improved a bunch, and I hope to get in some friendlies against your Olimar next tourney.

pops - Our matches were very awesome in both low tier and regular singles. I am really impressed with your Pokemon trainer...particularly Squirtle. Also, you seem to have a good feel for when Ivysaur will be unable to recover if it gets knocked off stage...you time your pokemon change well in that regard. As for your Zelda, I don't really know what to tell you...I guess I've figured out how to avoid Wario getting owned by Zelda for the most part, but she might still be good against other Warios. Anyway, I hope you'll keep improving, and I look forward to our next chance to play.

Pika_Cam - Nice Pikachu for real. You were definitely making me work hard in doubles...by the way, I'm from MS.

DaBomb - I don't know if you even come on smashboards really, but I gotta say that I think Link is really holding you back. If he's the character for you no matter what, that's awesome, but he's just not remotely decent in Brawl. You definitely play him pretty much as well as he can be played in my opinion.

munkus - Yeah, we never play friendlies for some reason. Let's do that next time. By the way, you and moogle are too good in teams.

shaSLAM - Keep working to incorporate that Chomp in your game more to take advantage of shielders/spot dodgers. Also, try full hop Dair --> fast fall Uair...it's an amazing combo at low damage and you can usually follow up with another Uair for about 45% damage. Fun dittos!

Majist - You are definitely the most improved smasher I've seen. Your Marth seems to really be tightening up...just gotta figure out how to get those KOs. Great matches in pools and bracket!

Winnar - Thanks for teaming with me...if I didn't basically SD twice in loser finals, I think we could have advanced. Also, you were too beastly with Captain Falcon in low tier. Also, that knee in doubles!!!! Unbelievable!!!

Jeff - Your Yoshi is amazingly good for not doing grab release tricks. If you'd learn those, I think you'd be a real threat to pretty much anyone.

Robert - You are amazingly cool and patient to hang around even though you didn't enter singles. Thanks for coming along.

My favorite moment of the tourney:
Using Wario's Fsmash super armor to survive a Snake Utilt at 150% and get the KO.

Winnar

Smash Lord
3GOD - You deserve a better shout out than the one I gave you. You're the coolest guy I've met at MSU hands down. If for no other reason I'm glad I came here so I could meet you.

Don't worry about the SD's, it happens to everyone. XD I'm still excited that we placed (this was the first time I've ever done even remotely well at a real tournament).

P.S. nice1, vids, youtube, etc.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
We should have another one of these sooner rather than later.

Is there gonna be a vulcanbox tourney this month or the next?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
My favorite moment of the tourney:
Using Wario's Fsmash super armor to survive a Snake Utilt at 150% and get the KO.
Dude, I had a similar moment this past weekend! I fsmashed through the first hit of ftilt to get a kill, haha. I was also gimping Snakes left and right, they all keep falling for my setup XD Congrats on 5th guy... why hasn't your name been changed to "GOD" yet?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Pops - Your squirtle was WAY too good, especially against my falcon. I think the Falcon vs Ivysaur matchup is in Falcon's favor (if I play patiently), and the Charizard matchup can really go either way depending on who has the momentum. I think if you had stayed squirtle for that last stock of that last match I would have lost, because you were making some kind of ridiculous comeback. I got so lucky with that flub knee trip to u-smash. >_<

DanGR - XD Usually I go by Winnar, but I can't bring myself to have people call me that IRL. The A in Winnar doesn't stand out nearly as strongly when spoken aloud, so conveying the subtle humor doesn't really work. I have no idea where WHO? came from, but it's been my tag on Brawl since day 1. I don't really prefer one over the other, whatever you feel like calling me is fine :O

Reimeii - That video is unavailable? I dunno it isn't showing up, even after replacing the asterisks. Perhaps they have specific capitalizations? :O

And because repition is probably pretty awesome, upload matches plz lol ur mi favrit :dD
I didn't want to john, but you brought it up: i realized over time that ivy and charizard didn't work so well and i need to put together a squirtle-centric strat for falcon. But, it was too little too late. Falcon's game, which i don't understand and only recently believed in (jk), is actually pretty effective against a lot of Charizard's strats. I'm not going to argue the matchup in falcon's favor, but i'll say my Charizard is probably my worst.

I'm gonna polish my squirtle. He can always get shinier....

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@theONEjanitor - if stages aren't banned for giving extreme advantages to small groups of characters, why is shadow moses island banned? Can we unban it?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Pops for the love of God stop being an argumentative prick about stupid shìt

Argenteus

Smash Rookie
Jeff here

First off, props to T1J for hosting another very successful tournament. The turnout this time was huge, and the low-tier event was an awesome addition. I hope it becomes a mainstay for TCS.

Jeff used yoshi in all cases.
Yeah...I think competition is cool and all, but my main priority is to have a good time when playing Smash, so I don't really place a lot of value on results. Then again, it's not like I have a reputation to maintain, but w/e. Anyways, since I find Yoshi to be the most enjoyable character [although Mario (for the cape) or Fox (for the shine) might come close] I decided to just stick with him for all three events. Getting to the brackets in singles was pretty sweet, though I ended up playing against 3GOD (1-2) and munkus (1-2) back-to-back.

Here are some shoutouts

3GOD - One of the coolest people I know...your mindgames and spacing were superb as usual. You're also getting extremely good with Wario's Chomp. We had some great matches in singles, and you definitely outplayed me in all of the matches that you won. Oh, and thanks again for the ride. : )

BOMB - Your Link was excellent in the few friendlies that we played. I don't know many people that can use the worst (arguably) character in the game.

Cam - I don't think we played any matches, but from what I saw, your Pikachu is awesome.

DanGR - Outstanding Olimar...your matches with Who? (especially that last one on Pictochat) were spectacular to the point that even though Who? is a buddy of mine, I couldn't decide which player to root for.

Ing:D - Iirc, we played a lot of friendlies. You were great with every character you used.

Kalm - Impressive Sonic skills...I was surprised when you started pulling out some heavy combos with him.

Majist - From what I saw at the last TCS, your Marth has improved greatly.

Moogle - Saying that your Fox is fantastic would just be repeating what everyone else has said so far. But...it's completely true, sooo...your Fox is fantastic. Tiers are a lie. It's also hilarious how Robert shares a similar situation with you as I do with Munkus. I guess the four of us are just match-up magnets. What I admire most, though, is your attitude toward competitive Smash. You and 3GOD are two of the most amiable people I know. : )

MrRef - I had a lot of fun playing against you. Your Yoshi was pretty much even with mine, so I was lucky to have the advantage of momentum from the second match. It could have been anyone's game.

Munkus - Just like in the last TCS, I ended up playing you in every event. Your PT was surprisingly good. I managed to take the first match in regular singles, but you really picked up the game with MK afterwards. We'll probably end up facing off in the next TCS.

Nice1 - Amazing Falco...I was happy just to get the second match to one stock, but I still got wrecked overall.

Nu - I didn't get to play you, but your Lucas looked terrific from what I saw.

Pops - I watched one of your matches with Who? in the low-tier event. That last match was down to the flip of a coin. Your PT is quite a force to be reckoned with. It's also crazy that you don't even have Brawl.

Robert - We did really well in doubles. *incoming Moogle/Who? joke* Nice clutch F-smash against Team HYES!!!11!! in that one match. I think you should have signed up for regular singles.

Shock - Your Kirby is really good. Kudos for being able to hold your damage right below mine until the timer ran out. I actually wasn't aware of the rule on that, but you earned the win anyways. That match was about as close as it could get.

Spade - Close matches in the low-tier tourney...it was pretty funny when I got dragged down by that platform on Yoshi's Island. In any case, you deserved the win - your Ness was excellent.

T1J - You're one of the most consistent players I've seen and definitely amongst the best at teams. Hopefully we'll get to play each other at the next TCS.

Who? - What? When? Where?

Zap - You showed some nice skills in friendlies. Maybe next time we'll play in a tourney match.

Top Bottom