• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
His body and mouth do not act like that of a snake eating a whole pig, so we can rule that idea out.
I was never suggesting that Yoshi COULD eat Ivysaur; he cannot. :)

Yoshi is a natural fighter?
No. But Yoshi is faster than Ivysaur, larger than Ivysaur, heavier than Ivysaur, stronger than Ivysaur, and smarter than Ivysaur.

Tigers and wolves do not have hands, but that doesn't stop them from tearing up a human being. I fail to see how hands are more superior than paws with nails to claw at. Yoshi stands erect, but Ivysaur does not. Humans stand erect, but tigers and wolves do not. Do you see where I am going with this?
The hands just help him get a hold of Ivysaur is all. Ivysaur isn't going to be using his claws to much extent; his legs are stubs, and unlike a tiger or a wolf, Ivysaur canot pounce upon Yoshi.

Honestly, the idea that an animal could be immune to all toxic substances, or even fiercely resistant, is impossible. Now the question would be, what types of poisons COULD yoshi reasonably resist and "are ivysaur's poisons one of those"?

I apologize; you're right - Yoshi isn't capable of immunities against ALL poisons or harmful materials. I was trying to say though, that Yoshi swallows alot of different things, and probably has evolved enough to include a few defense mechanisms in his digestive tract to rid of harmful products. Regarding the respiratory system, a mucus lining within the trachea or whatever would help filtering out foreign poisons. But you're right, Ivysaur's types of poison and powders would have to fall under the list of things Yoshi can deal with for him to survive them. We also have to decide a few other things, like whether or not Ivy' s poisons are lethal, or if they just damaging in a less severe way. We also have to decide how fast the poisons would take effect, which would depend on where they began taking effect, the effects they would have, and the kind of defense mechanisms Yoshi has to deal with him. :) I dunno whether this will all be listed on the instruction manual of Yoshi's Island 2...

I think it is clear that Yoshi out does Ivy in combat, though. Its also neccesary to figure out if Yoshi can possibly defeat Ivy before he is effected by toxins too much.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Without ranged attacks in the mix, Yoshi must approach, and if he does, Ivy can toxin him quickly, then kill him. That is if Ivy is able to spread the toxins in the air around her(?).

Also, Yoshi's are SOCIALLY advanced, not necessarily TACTICALLY advanced, so Ivy is probably more experienced of a fighter.

Ivy wins, Yoshi won't be able to kill Ivy before Ivy poisons him/stuns him/puts him to sleep.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Ivy wins easily. More ranged waepons forcing Yoshi to approach.

Razor Leaf, Vine whip, solarbeam etc and for close range Ivy just needs to envelope itself in a cloud of toxin : Stunspore? Sleeping powder, Poison

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Without ranged attacks in the mix, Yoshi must approach, and if he does, Ivy can toxin him quickly, then kill him. That is if Ivy is able to spread the toxins in the air around her(?).

Also, Yoshi's are SOCIALLY advanced, not necessarily TACTICALLY advanced, so Ivy is probably more experienced of a fighter.

Ivy wins, Yoshi won't be able to kill Ivy before Ivy poisons him/stuns him/puts him to sleep.
The first thing is that Yoshi will not succumb to the poisons immediately, and don't forget that the poisons may or may not be too effective. The thing is, as Ivysaur has evolved to be immune to his own poisons, Yoshi may have developed an immunity against it as well, depending on whether its a familiar kind of toxin or not. Now, even if they are harmful to Yoshi, its not neccesarily an immediate threat.

The thing about Ivy's intelligence, is that he's a wild pokemon. Now, although some wild pokemon (rayquaza) can be devilishly smart, Ivysaur doesn't strike me as one. :) Yoshi may or may not be tactically smarter than Ivy, but he is much more fit for combat with Ivysaur than vice versa.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If Ivy is a wild Pokemon he seems more fit for combat than happy-go-lucky Yoshi. Ivy would have to fend for itself in the wild,and fight for territory, etc.

Yoshi'd never encountered Pokemon, so I think it's safe to say that the toxin will be new to him. I thought we already established that Yoshi wouldn't be immune to all of them, at least not to the sedative (Sleep Powder).

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
It seems clear to me that this battle is decided by how quickly Yoshi can beat up Ivysaur versus how quickly the powders will effect him...

:) In the games, both Sleep Powder and Poison Powder are temporary; they don't last long. This is a reference that they are not very powerful. I do not think that the poison powder is capable of killing Yoshi, or that the Sleep Powder will lock Yoshi in "sleep mode" unitl Ivy kills him. Actually, Ivysaur doesn't even have a way of killing him instantly, because he's so lightweight and doesn't really have any weapons. A strong enough attack would probably awaken Yoshi before he dies.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmn,

Stun Spore: Neuro toxin: effects nerves, paralyzing animals

Poison Powder: Hemotoxin: Destroys tissue, killing the creature.

Sleep Powder: Sedative: Some sort of depressant that puts the animal to sleep (tranquilizer)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ivysaur may be similar to this... dinosaur thing, but he's still at a disadvantage to Yoshi in close combat for alot of reasons.
None of which you have explained, let alone proved.

No. But Yoshi is faster than Ivysaur, larger than Ivysaur, heavier than Ivysaur, stronger than Ivysaur, and smarter than Ivysaur.
I see a lot of assertions here. Prove that Yoshi is faster. Prove that Yoshi is heavier. Prove that Yoshi is stronger. Prove that Yoshi is smarter.

The hands just help him get a hold of Ivysaur is all.
That doesn't sound like something beneficial for Yoshi. What is going to do, grab Ivysaur and lick him to death?

Ivysaur isn't going to be using his claws to much extent; his legs are stubs, and unlike a tiger or a wolf, Ivysaur canot pounce upon Yoshi.
How do you know that Ivysaur isn't going to use his claws to much extent? I'm sure he is capable of learning Cut. As for pouncing, Ivysaur has this other attack that he learns. It's called Tackle. There's also Take Down, Strength, and Rock Smash.

The first thing is that Yoshi will not succumb to the poisons immediately,
Says who? Source, please? Ivysaur has Poison Powder, Toxic, which is a ranged attack, and Sludge Bomb. These two other attacks would be projected from Ivysaur's mouth. Just fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb into Yoshi's eyes, and this match won't look good for it.

The thing is, as Ivysaur has evolved to be immune to his own poisons, Yoshi may have developed an immunity against it as well, depending on whether its a familiar kind of toxin or not.
Well, assumptions aren't good enough.

Now, even if they are harmful to Yoshi, its not neccesarily an immediate threat.
Why not?

The thing about Ivy's intelligence, is that he's a wild pokemon. Now, although some wild pokemon (rayquaza) can be devilishly smart, Ivysaur doesn't strike me as one. :)
Why not? Is Yoshi a natural fighter?

Yoshi may or may not be tactically smarter than Ivy, but he is much more fit for combat with Ivysaur than vice versa.
Proof, please?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It seems clear to me that this battle is decided by how quickly Yoshi can beat up Ivysaur versus how quickly the powders will effect him...

:) In the games, both Sleep Powder and Poison Powder are temporary; they don't last long. This is a reference that they are not very powerful. I do not think that the poison powder is capable of killing Yoshi, or that the Sleep Powder will lock Yoshi in "sleep mode" unitl Ivy kills him. Actually, Ivysaur doesn't even have a way of killing him instantly, because he's so lightweight and doesn't really have any weapons. A strong enough attack would probably awaken Yoshi before he dies.
How's poison powder temporary?

Regardless, sleep powder is portrayed as a powerful, but short-acting sedative, it will wear off quickly, but it does take effect quickly as well.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Yeah poison powder definitely isn't temporary, and unlike in the games where only one effect can be in effect at once, in a real fight Ivysaur could poison, paralyze and put Yoshi to sleep. After that, just solar beam or rip him to shreds with some leafs :) I love Yoshi, but Ivysaur is the clear winner in my opinion.

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur. He has so many status ailment causing attacks, forces an approach from Yoshi with a rather decent range, and IMO would be more willing to become involved in a violent fight.

nightSN

Smash Ace

Thats in the game, were talking about in real life. The if sleeping powder is strong enough to make him fall asleep then yoshi wont be waking up for awhile. Its like a bear being shot by a tranquilizer, it wont wake up regardless of it being picked up or anything. Also if the poison can poison you, it has the potential to kill you, poison doesnt just go away you know? unless your immune system is just that amazing LOL

Moozle

Smash Champion
Also if the poison can poison you, it has the potential to kill you, poison doesnt just go away you know? unless your immune system is just that amazing LOL
Haha, well with all of the crap(and people) that Yoshi puts in his mouth, it might just be.

Also Dragonblooded, the whole reason Pokemon exist is to fight, so I think that would make him more suited for a fight lol.

JOE!

Smash Hero
None of which you have explained, let alone proved.

I see a lot of assertions here. Prove that Yoshi is faster. Prove that Yoshi is heavier. Prove that Yoshi is stronger. Prove that Yoshi is smarter.

That doesn't sound like something beneficial for Yoshi. What is going to do, grab Ivysaur and lick him to death?

How do you know that Ivysaur isn't going to use his claws to much extent? I'm sure he is capable of learning Cut. As for pouncing, Ivysaur has this other attack that he learns. It's called Tackle. There's also Take Down, Strength, and Rock Smash.

Says who? Source, please? Ivysaur has Poison Powder, Toxic, which is a ranged attack, and Sludge Bomb. These two other attacks would be projected from Ivysaur's mouth. Just fire Toxic or Sludge Bomb into Yoshi's eyes, and this match won't look good for it.

Well, assumptions aren't good enough.

Why not?

Why not? Is Yoshi a natural fighter?

Proof, please?
1) Ivy has no up-close weaponary of any significane other than his jaws. Yoshi has arms, legs, head and tail

2)YOSHI IS BIGGER, and it is known to have complex social behavior, proving intellect

3)hold ivy while biting him, hold ivy and prevent ivy from attacking, throw ivy, etc, etc

4)ivy doesnt really have claws to begin with, and his arms arent made for a slashing motion...

5)it may take a moment to take effect

6)why would a creature that spreads poision in the air as a defense not be immune to it? theyd die trying to save their lives...

7)no complaints

8)yoshi has shown an ability to deal with foes, but much more often doesnt engage in combat

9)ivy is good at poisoning opponents, not actually fighting them

Moozle

Smash Champion
I still think the argument that Yoshi is more of a natural fighter than Ivy doesn't make sense because Pokemon are bred to fight. However, a bit of evidence for the Yoshi point of view is that Ivysaur is only 3 feet tall and 25 pounds, I always thought he was bigger since Venasaur is like 20 feet tall and 500 pounds.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be more accurate to measure the powders potency based off their accuracy in the games. Sleep Powder for example isn't that accurate. Spore on the other hand is virtually 100% accurate. That tells me that Spore is more potent then Sleep Powder.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Wow! Dryn and Adumbrodeus came from nowhere... Okay, @ Dryn: Ivy's legs are very short an do not bend very much. He cannot run very fast on legs like that while Yoshi, who stands up straight off his very flexible and well-built legs can. Ivysaur also is only 3'3" in height and weighs less than thirty pounds. Yoshi, being bigger and heavier than Mario, is bigger and heavier than Ivysaur.

Oh wait, that's pretty much what Joe just said. And yes, the poison can take a moment to take effect. Joe said alot of which I was fixin' to say. I guess this isn't agreed with, but alot of abilities given to the combatants are based off what they do in their games. Ivy's poison/sleep powders are temporary, which I thought might be a reference that they weren't too strong... @NightSN - Not all poison will kill you. It only will if its strong enough, and he probably does have a good immune system to deal with harmful materials he might eat accidently.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
lol Food poisoning would be scary otherwise XD

I would also assume Yoshi's immune system would be fairly strong. I mean have you seen the crap he eats O.o

Moozle

Smash Champion
Ivy's legs are very short an do not bend very much.
I really don't think Ivy is going to be kicking his opponents. He can shoot seeds and poweful beams of light out of his back for a reason lol. You're also forgetting that his vines basically function as super long and powerful arms. I'll try to find a clip of it, but I remember the episode where Ash gets Bulbasaur and his vines reach like 50 feet across a canyon. I'd like to see Yoshi get close in the first place.

nightSN

Smash Ace
I really don't think Ivy is going to be kicking his opponents. He can shoot seeds and poweful beams of light out of his back for a reason lol. You're also forgetting that his vines basically function as super long and powerful arms. I'll try to find a clip of it, but I remember the episode where Ash gets Bulbasaur and his vines reach like 50 feet across a canyon. I'd like to see Yoshi get close in the first place.
could we get a clarification on if ivy can vinewhip or not?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ivysaur. He has so many status ailment causing attacks, forces an approach from Yoshi with a rather decent range, and IMO would be more willing to become involved in a violent fight.
Yeah poison powder definitely isn't temporary, and unlike in the games where only one effect can be in effect at once, in a real fight Ivysaur could poison, paralyze and put Yoshi to sleep. After that, just solar beam or rip him to shreds with some leafs :) I love Yoshi, but Ivysaur is the clear winner in my opinion.
Read the rules before you barge in here assuming things please.

Anything that won't work in real life (Solarbeam, Vine Whip, etc.) is discarded for the match and unusable.

NO to Vine Whip.

tocador

Smash Lord
I say we choose the enviroment. As long as there is actuall stuff for yoshi to eat, he can throw eggs on Ivy and force a approach. And as long as ivy cant throw powder and run and dodge eggs, i think yoshi will have the adv, because yoshi is one of the(if not the) fastest creatures out there. So he can just play the hit 'n run tatics.

And the eggs dont need to be explosive, but we can assume they are "alien-like" eggsm that will have mini yoshis hatching. So instead of hacthing those eggs, he can just use them as weaponary!

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Again, :) please read before posting. Ivysaur cannot use Vine Whip or Solar Beam or anything of the sort, while Yoshi cannot swallow Ivyaur or throw explosive eggs... Yoshi also cannot flutter jump.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
1) Ivy has no up-close weaponary of any significane other than his jaws. Yoshi has arms, legs, head and tail
You're ignoring Cut, which he would use his paws to claw with. You're ignoring Tackle, which he would tackle Yoshi. You're ignoring Take Down. You're ignoring Poison Powder, Toxic, and Sludge Bomb. The last two would probably act somewhat like a spitting cobra, which fires venom from its venom glands inside its mouth and often hits directly in the eyes.

Yoshi has arms? So does Ivysaur. Yoshi can use his head in combat? Headbutt, anyone? Yoshi has a tail? It's nothing like Ridley's, who wouldn't even have to turn around to hit his opponent. Yoshi, on the other hand, would have to if he tried. And his tail is too short to safely attack with.

2)YOSHI IS BIGGER, and it is known to have complex social behavior, proving intellect
But not tactical. Yoshi is not a natural fighter.

3)hold ivy while biting him, hold ivy and prevent ivy from attacking, throw ivy, etc, etc
That's kind of hard to believe. Ivysaur could simply retaliate by clawing, or using Poison Powder, or Toxic and even Sludge Bomb.

4)ivy doesnt really have claws to begin with, and his arms arent made for a slashing motion...
Which is why he can learn Cut. Right. :rolleyes:

5)it may take a moment to take effect
A moment is all is needed.

6)why would a creature that spreads poision in the air as a defense not be immune to it? theyd die trying to save their lives...
I was referring to Yoshi.

8)yoshi has shown an ability to deal with foes, but much more often doesnt engage in combat
So, if Yoshi has shown the ability to deal with foes, whatever that means, but much more often doesn't engage in combat, then what does that tell us about Yoshi? That looks like a disadvantage on Yoshi's part.

9)ivy is good at poisoning opponents, not actually fighting them
Ivysaur is a Pokémon. Pokémon fight.

Ivy's legs are very short an do not bend very much. He cannot run very fast on legs like that while Yoshi, who stands up straight off his very flexible and well-built legs can.
Do you know what animal that lives today, has legs similar to that of Ivysaur? The hippopotamus. It is the second heaviest animal to walk on land, and it can run much faster than a human being, though for a short while. Give that some thought.

Ivy's poison/sleep powders are temporary, which I thought might be a reference that they weren't too strong...
Poison Powder, Toxic, and Sludge Bomb, if it poisons, does not wear off, unless you have Antidote on you, or you head to the Pokémon Center. Toxic increases each turn, showing it to be a very potent poison.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
^ i like this guy. i agree one hundred percent, though i thought sludge bomb would be a physical ball of poison, seeing how strong it is, not just like a spitting cobra?
It's depicted in different ways in the anime.

Realistically, it would probably be thicker, not as a ball, but think of it like saliva, but having a thickness like ranch sauce. :chuckle: It wouldn't be anything like Muk's Sludge Bomb.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Do you know what animal that lives today, has legs similar to that of Ivysaur? The hippopotamus. It is the second heaviest animal to walk on land, and it can run much faster than a human being, though for a short while. Give that some thought.
I've done my research now, and that fact did surprise me. However, we must consider the fact that the hippo is many times more large than Ivysaur. About five times larger; a hippo runs at an average of twenty miles per hour at first (it slows down fast). Proportionally, Ivysaur would be running about five to nine miles an hour. Forgive me, but Yoshi can proabably run faster than that. Also, hippos can't jump, and I don't see why Ivysaur could.

You're ignoring Cut, which he would use his paws to claw with. You're ignoring Tackle, which he would tackle Yoshi. You're ignoring Take Down.
What would Ivysaur be scratching; he can't jump very well, and has only Yoshi's legs to try to scratch. I think Ivysaur trying to use those eety beety claws is a bit ridiculous. Ivysaur's still inferior to Yoshi in speed; how can he tackle Yoshi? And if he did, he only weighs thirty pounds or so, Yoshi could just shove him away. And Take Down is the same thing as Tackle as far as I can see.

Yoshi has arms? So does Ivysaur. Yoshi can use his head in combat? Headbutt, anyone? Yoshi has a tail? It's nothing like Ridley's, who wouldn't even have to turn around to hit his opponent. Yoshi, on the other hand, would have to if he tried. And his tail is too short to safely attack with.
I don't think that Yoshi's tail will help him, but his arms will. He can grab onto Ivysaur (thumbs) while Ivysaur can't. Also, Ivysaur can attack with any part of his body if he has move to let him; that doesn't mean it's gonna be effective here. Headbutting with him would be about as deadly as tackling with him. Yoshi has alot of things to do once he's grabbed Ivysaur; Ivysaur has stubs for arms and legs and can't really do anything to force Yoshi away.

A moment is all is needed.
That's sixty seconds where Yoshi can pick him up and just bite him or rip his arm off or kick him to death or more. Unless Ivy has a way to free himself from Yoshi's grasp, he could get bloodied up in that sixty seconds.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Proportionally, Ivysaur would be running about five to nine miles an hour. Forgive me, but Yoshi can proabably run faster than that. Also, hippos can't jump, and I don't see why Ivysaur could.
So, he wouldn't be moving as fast as an average human? Hippopotami can run up to 30 to 40 mph. Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, can only run 23 mph. An average human can run around 10 mph. Animals that are on four legs tend to move faster, and because Ivysaur isn't nearly a ton, he won't get as worn out when running like a hippopotamus would. How fast can Yoshi actually run?

What would Ivysaur be scratching;
Yoshi.

he can't jump very well, and has only Yoshi's legs to try to scratch.
But, he can tackle. Knocking Yoshi down would work just fine. Yoshi really isn't that tall as you want to make him be. It's really only his enlarged snout and huge eyes that make him appear big.

I think Ivysaur trying to use those eety beety claws is a bit ridiculous.
Observe those "eety beety" claws.

Wolves also have "eety beety" claws, but you're going to get cut, regardless.

Ivysaur's still inferior to Yoshi in speed;
You have yet to prove this. So far, you haven't brought an official source on how fast Yoshi can run. All this time, you've been making up stuff.

how can he tackle Yoshi?
The same way he'd tackle any opponent larger than him.

And if he did, he only weighs thirty pounds or so, Yoshi could just shove him away. And Take Down is the same thing as Tackle as far as I can see.
Let me throw thirty pounds of muscle, fat, and skeleton all combined in one at you, and tell me that you're just going to shove it away. They're not fighting on the moon. Take Down is a physical attack, but it does more damage.

He can grab onto Ivysaur (thumbs) while Ivysaur can't. Also, Ivysaur can attack with any part of his body if he has move to let him; that doesn't mean it's gonna be effective here.
Yoshi has two arms. He can't be holding Ivysaur and attacking Ivysaur at the same time. Ivysaur, however, could project Toxic or Sludge Bomb from his mouth, release Poison Powder from his bulb, bite, scratch, &c. So, if Yoshi grabs Ivysaur, what part would he be grabbing? If it's his arms, Ivysaur can use his mouth to bite or release his poisonous attacks. If it's his mouth, Ivysaur can claw at him. If Ivysaur tackles Yoshi and knocks him to the ground, this gives Ivysaur a free hit to use any of his poisonous attacks, or bite, or claw at. Also, Yoshi's mouth is a bit small with that large snout in the way, making it a bit difficult to bite at Ivysaur.

Headbutting with him would be about as deadly as tackling with him. Yoshi has alot of things to do once he's grabbed Ivysaur; Ivysaur has stubs for arms and legs and can't really do anything to force Yoshi away.
Like I said, Yoshi would have to use both of his arms, which means he doesn't have much options left. And that doesn't even mean he would have Ivysaur restrained. He can't use one arm to restrain Ivysaur and the other to attack with. He's really only left with biting, but Ivysaur can do the same and freely use his poisonous attacks, whether in the eyes or on the lips or in the mouth.

That's sixty seconds where Yoshi can pick him up and just bite him or rip his arm off or kick him to death or more. Unless Ivy has a way to free himself from Yoshi's grasp, he could get bloodied up in that sixty seconds.
This exaggeration is too silly to even bother arguing. Is this where you concede that Yoshi lost?

squirtleuser007

Smash Apprentice
^i REALLY like this guy :D
on topic, if yoshi DOES grab him, whats he gonna do to ivy, lick him???
i see no reason why ivy cant shoot poison spores, sludge bomb, and tackle all at once, doing SERIOUS damage to yoshi. even deadlier up close if yoshi grabs; shoots sludge bomb into his eyes while releasing poison spores or the sedative. yoshi i believe has no chance whatsoever. also, i learned today dont mess with mods in an argument, they will only beat you

Top Bottom