• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teach this Mario

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
hey! im glad he's trying to learn how to use mario :) i hope he doesnt give up! i recommend you teach him how to wd oos, how to jab reset (espcially after some f-airs), how to chaingrab or combo out of d-throw/u-throw, dashdancing, and how to up-b in the opposite direction (it looked like he had some trouble with that in the beginning).
let us know how he does!

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
his technical stuff is still sloppy. there are a lot of missed wavedashes and bad dashdances and a few missed lcancels in there, but that could be nerves of being recorded or just mispractice.

either way he should get used to using those because mario needs them

also tell him to learn how to SHBAWL (Short Hop Back Air Wave Land) it's one of the more technical things Mario can do, but has come quite in handy for me

he should also learn spacing a bit better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw
that'll help him out with spacing. although he should concentrate on the "hitting with the tip of an attack" part at first

tl;dr practice the basics and SHBAWL then come back to us with a solid video of a set

PS: you're mario is very silly. uair more and grab more

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Ok...... i like your style but you have to attack more if you going to play that way

Grab more because mario's grabs usually leads to some awesome combo that consist of Uair(even blind), bairs, and Utilts. They lead to great finishers like Fsmash and Nair

learn the wonders of jabs and how to cancel the jabs.....Great mindgames

learns the resets so you can have a great chance of getting one off and comboing them to hell and back

space most of your moves

n0ne

Smash Ace
saw the first sixty seconds. shoiuld learn how to approach lol

nah jk but should practice cancelling and continuity because i notice he does something then gets stuck

lethal hangover..... yes monday.. so sad

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Grab more for a more luigi-esque style.

Personally, w/o watching the video, your friend should Jab-Dsmash more.

a rookie

Smash Ace
He's trying to learn, but I have no idea how to teach him well.

This is my mario...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PAAUymcrsM

This is his mario. What exactly should I have him focus on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCqzB3_xQSA
First off, I apologize a lot as well whenever I hit my team mate or mess up.

First, you can tell him to use the f-tilt more while his opponent is next to the edge because it's safe 95% of the time and if they block it, you won't get punished.

Secondly, tell him to practice his tech skill. For instance, I watched his Mario wavelanding. It's good, but if he can get the full distance off, then he can learn how much distance he needs at the right time. Same applies with a wavedash.

Third, it's good to throw the opponent right away unless you really have to think cuz that'll give them time to think also. If you throw them right when you grab them, they'll most likely DI a way you would want them too, or better yet, not at all.

Fourth, he needs more speed, and tell him d-smash is the fastest smash and usually can't be punished if the opponent shields.

Other than those 4 things, tell him to keep it up and to make a smashboards account =P
And if he already does have one, tell him to post anywhere on the Mario boards for help.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^Marth can Fair OoS against mario's Ftilt. and You'd have to space the Dsmash I think. Might depend on shield DI. Mario is never "safe"

a rookie

Smash Ace
Mario is very safe against d-smashing an ice climbers even if they OoS Wavedash. They can't d-smash or grab in time ;) Mario is SAFE sometimes D=

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
That's just because IC's WD is crazy so when their shield gets hit they slide father than others. If the IC's shield DI then they may not work. Not sure though.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Mario's safe on d-smashing a luigi and ice climbers, Mario's safe against 2 characters (:
Maybe Mewtwo? Idk? Never tried that one =P

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hm, idk? Lol. I hope I play against Fly Amanita in friendlies so I can test some things on his Ice Climbers so I can be ready for him in case I fight him in tournament.....again xD

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
well make sure you space well if you go against ICs. they are really easy to combo with Uairs and Bairs. if they are on a platform Dair from under them once in a while. its effective to me

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yellow/Gold Mario. Don't know which one yet. Hell yeah I do, think about how ugly that sounds? Imagine saying, "Damn, I just lost to Yellow Mario" xD That sounds so ugly I like it =D

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Piss Mario j/k j/k. You guys can have the color names cause I'm already MarioMariox2

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Yeah, that's why y'all can have Blue Mario and Gold Mario. Even though I don't think he's that shiny there.

Top Bottom