• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Attack ON: The IAQ. Second edition.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Before anything else it should be noted that this thread is about theory. Theory is not about anything absolute. Instead it is hypothetically what is best. This means that if you follow what I say in the next few pages to the letter you might actually get worse in teams. This is because while things may work in theory it doesn't mean that they'll work when you actually try to apply it. An example is the 2-on-1 situations which are the basis of practically everything I talk about. In theory 2-on-1 is good, but in practice the 1 might just beat the crap out of both of you.

The purpose of this IAQ is to get more people interested in team play and to raise the level of play in the smash community. I think that if people understand more strategies of team play they will also be more interested in watching as well. Please note that this IAQ is far from complete, and I do not have the experience to account for every type of playstyle out there. This IAQ will be updated and edited with any good points or additions brought up, and any questions will be happily answered. So with all that in mind, let’s start.

Oh, and for the record, this IAQ is for TA ON only. TA OFF theory might happen another time.

*disclaimer
All third person references will be in the masculine form. That is, “he got served and give him the book.” I’m sorry, but writing him/her a lot is annoying to write and to read. Furthermore, we all know that the majority of video gamers are male.

All examples are on Final Destination

2 ON 1

The basis of this IAQ is that I see a lot of teams go at it like teams is just two separate 1 on 1 battles. While this might happen several times during a team battle, fighting in this way leaves you vulnerable to situations when everything gets jumbled up. It’s easy to practice 1 on 1 fighting, what’s important is to know how to capitalize on situations where you can team up.

Theoretically one person cannot beat two people of the same skill level. This is a huge advantage when it happens, and should be capitalized on every time. Here is a common situation…

A B C

Say A and B are on a team and are fighting against C. B and C are basically fighting like it’s 1-on-1, while A is just hanging out. A cannot help B fight against C because B is in the way and A’s attacks will most likely hit B. Furthermore, A cannot just jump into the fight against C as B’s attacks might hit A or B will stop attacking for fear of hitting A. The only way A can contribute is to run in and attack when B gets hit or thrown. In a way, this does become a small advantage as A can prevent C from doing any massive juggles.
*exception
If B is a projectile prostitute then B can throw projectiles all day at C and A can assist in defense, depending on which character B is. In this case it might be preferable that A be behind B, and A can even jump above B and throw even more projectiles at C.

Now say the situation is as follows…

A C B

Now C is in a much worse situation. As A attacks from one side B can attack from the other side without fear of hitting A, provided B is spaced correctly. In addition, it becomes difficult for C to counterattack either side as doing so will leave C open from attacks coming from the other side. The best option for C is to try to get to the other side of one of the two opponents, creating the situation above. However, rolling or jumping past people is usually risky at best.

The easiest way to exploit this 2-on-1 situation is to simply grab C. While C is grabbed the opponent on the other side of C can let fly with a powerful move or even an infinite. This technique is powerful because C can be grabbed while blocking an attack from the other side.

So now that you know about 2-on-1 situations and a few of the basics on how to exploit it, we have to get into why these 2-on-1 situations are just theory. The reason for this is that the 1 usually has a partner of his own, and said partner probably doesn’t want to sit back and watch his partner get thwacked.

THE BASICS OF 2 ON 1 IN APPLICATION

This is where theory comes in. The advice given will not always be the best thing to do in a situation. The principles, however, are true, but experience is needed to determine when to use certain strategies.

So let’s say we’re in the following situation…

A C B D

A and B on one team, C and D on another. A and D have limited options, either hang back or attack the person next to them. So let’s focus on C and B. Or, rather, let’s focus on C. Whichever way C attacks he is potentially opening himself up to attacks from the other side. Ideally, his main goal is not to get hit while setting up a 2-on-1 situation against B. If D is attacking B then C can simply ward off A and help his partner if he gets into trouble.
The problem is that this is an equal situation. Whatever C and D are trying to do ideally A and B are trying to do the exact same thing. However, look to use the 2-on-1 in situations where a character is hit away. More on this will be covered in the section on edge guarding.

Next I will touch on this situation…

A B C D

Not much to say here, really. Just try to make sure that when you attack you don’t end up between your opponents on the ground. Depending on the spacing, it’ll be hard for your partner to rescue you without hitting you in the process.

This is just the basics on this section. More will probably be added later.

EDGE GUARDING

This is where I see the biggest problems in strategy when I watch people play teams. So I’m here to help!

Say this is the situation…

D A B................. C

C is off the edge. B will edgeguard (I hope). A must be aware of the situation and keep D away. Usually this isn’t a problem but I have seen several occasions where A attacked D which allowed D to either roll or jump past A and break up the edgeguard. If A plays defensively it should be practically impossible for D to break up the edgeguard.

Now let’s take a look at…

A D B .................. C

D shouldn’t have a difficult time preventing B from edgeguarding his partner. However, B has an interesting option here. He can choose to edgeguard C or create a 2-on-1 situation against D. C is in no position to help as he is far off the stage, and should be careful as B can probably change gears and attack C if he recovers carelessly.
Again, A must be aware of the situation. If B chooses not to create the 2-on-1 situation then A should do whatever he can to prevent D from breaking up the edgeguard. D must also decide what he is going to do. This might be a good time to go beat the crap out of A.
An interesting option is for B to jump off and grab the edge, using the invincibility time to see what A and D end up doing. If B can hop back onto the edge while still invincible….B is probably a decent player.

CONCLUSION

And that’s it for now. Please add any comments or questions you might have.

Remember that these are basics, and this is all theory. Situations and tactics change based on which characters are being used and the playing styles of the players. Furthermore, this IAQ will be updated and changed as I see fit, possibly at a very rapid pace.

Lastly, note that I didn’t even get into platforms and stages with a central divide.

Again, I hope that by reading this some people go and try things out and in general play more teams. If there are any questions or other theories I’d be happy to reply to them.

Rukazor

Smash Ace
Very well thought out... I would call it "The very smooth first draft", being that there isn't anything rough about it :p

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
typo: If B is a projectile ***** then B can throw projectiles all day at C and A can assist in defense, depending on which character B is. In this case it might be preferable that A be behind be, and A can even jump above B and throw even more projectiles at C.

do you sound out your essay? ^_^

anyway, i like the edge-guarding thing.....sometimes i like to think about how 2-on-2 would work, because it's so largely unexplored. i think i remember a post of some sort a long time ago about how an opponent off the edge can lead to double-teaming of his partner. maybe that was at gamefaqs.

anyway, would it be advantageous for team AB to be positioned like this?

A C D B

also, how does maneuverability play into this? for instance, captain falcon's fast enough to quickly change the formation of characters.

A C B D -> C A B D

the quick shift between different formations....how do you suppose that plays in? does it give a net advantage to characters like captain falcon who can zoom across the stage really quickly?

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
Nice work. teams is definitly one of the least talked about facets of the game, at least on these forums. People just seem to try to figure it out for themselves, and some of them do a pretty crappy job. so having the basic theory laid out for them should be very helpful. I'm looking forward to updates.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is good Information. A friend and I are trying to get good at teams He is a Ylink and I am a falco/falcon I was wondering if you could put a section up about projectile camping. or something of the sort.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's rough in that there are a lot of things that I say that I'm going to take out in future revisions. Thanks for the comment on my smooth writing style, tho'. I'm an English major so it counts.

By the way, this may be a good time to mention that I don't believe everything that I say. Lots of times I'll say things just for a specific reaction, and not necessarily for what the technical meaning is.

Originally posted by MaskedMarth
typo: If B is a projectile ***** then B can throw projectiles all day at C and A can assist in defense, depending on which character B is. In this case it might be preferable that A be behind be, and A can even jump above B and throw even more projectiles at C.

do you sound out your essay? ^_^
Good point. I have now changed "projectile *****" to the more alliteration-friendly "projectile prostitute." Which, as a bonus, isn't censored.

anyway, would it be advantageous for team AB to be positioned like this?

A C D B
As always, advantages depend on the characters. In general, however, A and B are at a disadvantage. Notice how, if B attacks D and is sucessful, C is in a decent position to help out. By the same degree, A cannot help out B unless A can get by C and quite possibly also D.

More importantly, however, is the positioning in regards to edgeguarding. If either A or B take a serious hit, team CD has a great positional advantage for the possible edgeguard that might follow.

This formation isn't so bad for AB at the start of a game as you can pretty much run straight at your opponent at 0 percent and not really have to worry about getting sent off the edge.

also, how does maneuverability play into this? for instance, captain falcon's fast enough to quickly change the formation of characters.

A C B D -> C A B D

the quick shift between different formations....how do you suppose that plays in? does it give a net advantage to characters like captain falcon who can zoom across the stage really quickly? [/B]
Maneuverability plays a huge factor into this, yet another reason why you won't see many sucessful Bowsers in teams. Fox needs to be mentioned as well, since he is not only plenty fast but his reflector can force other people to shift positions against their better wishes. Fox and Falcon, in addition, often need help recovering safely when they're sent off the edge.

This is why a lot of this is just theory. Depending on the skill level of your opponents you might have very few solid chances at a 2-on-1 situation. Note how I haven't even gotten into possibilities involving platforms yet. I also haven't gotten into common variables such as Falco and Samus. Anyway, a Falcon zooming along using arial attacks at short-hop level can be quite potent, however this player must be aware of his surroundings when he's doing this. You never want to attack two people at the same time, unless you're sure the attack will hit both opponents (and perhaps also be sure that your partner is there to cover the lag on your attack).

At the same time, if the Falcon is able to set up better edgeguarding and 2-on-1 situations with his speed, more power to him. I think that a Falcon that got really good at judging situations and making smart decisions/attacks would be able to use his throw more, which in turn would help his game out a lot.

If you're playing against the Falcon, the best thing I can say is to react as best you can and try to get him to make a mistake. Teamwork is hard when your opponent is that fast, but with practice you can adapt.

EDIT: Varuna I am not very well experienced with either of the Links but I can share what I know. I'll get something started on projectile camping tomorrow.

metroidcomposite

Smash Apprentice
What about the following situation?

A B D .................. C

Seems like it would be the strongest situation for D to be in out of the three, but D still has to be very careful not to get stunned or knocked back at the wrong moment allowing someone to slip past and grab onto the edge.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Originally posted by metroidcomposite
What about the following situation?

A B D .................. C

Seems like it would be the strongest situation for D to be in out of the three, but D still has to be very careful not to get stunned or knocked back at the wrong moment allowing someone to slip past and grab onto the edge.

Eventually I will get to Varuna's thing about projectile camping. I don't have the time right now. But if anyone else were to offer up a theory...

As for this reply, I wouldn't call D's position "strong". It's just the best place for him to be to make sure his partner can get back to the edge safely. If D were to get hit by something and knocked off the platform as well, then team DC would be in a world of trouble. B could simply hog the edge while A takes care of anyone who lands on the platform. It's not quite as simple as that, but the rest is all situational-specific.

In this situation, it'd probably be a good idea for either A or B to take the high road and try to jump over D. This is even easier if there is a platform above D. If D attempts to counter the jumper, then the other player can run underneath D and attack from there or even edgeguard C if there is time. This might even create a 2-on-1 situation. And, of course, there is no guarantee that D's counter will succeed in the first place.

This is the reason why I have avoided writing about platforms and the like so far. The vertical game creates a bunch of intangibles which can often create risky movement opportunities. That and my arial game isn't that good.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Bumped on request, and slightly re-edited.

If anyone has any questions at all, other than projectile camping which I SWEAR I'll get to eventually, please don't hesitate to ask.

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
What formation is the best to be in though? Of course the edge guarding ones are all the best for the team not off the edge. But when they're not off the edge, what position do you think has the most advantages?

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me that

A C D B

would be the best position. (For Team CD of course.)

A and B are on opposite sides of the arena, severely limiting their aid options, while C and D are next to each other and can easily shift focus from fighting their closest opponent to aiding their teammate.

It also sets up for

A C D ............. B

which is the best edgeguarding position since C can either aid D or keep A away and D can edgeguard B or double team A.

Peaches

Smash Lord
What should the team do in this situation:

AB......CD

We'll assume that both C and D have the ability to recover (by about enough room to get to the stage without using third jump)

Seems to me like one of them will die no matter what as long as AB are of sound mind. They can edgehog and jump out to intercept. Are there any sound options for CD?

edit: btw I love your topic. I know my input sucks, but it's a good idea.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Bluewolf: I covered that situation in one of my replies. I suppose I should add it to the first post, but I haven't done that yet. Seeing as this hasn't gotten past a page yet I didn't think it was necessary yet. Good observations, though.

Peaches: Once again, it depends on the characters, and exactly how far team CD is off the stage. If team CD can make it back without needing to use their third jump, then they'll have plenty of options at their disposal. In general, one of them should be able to make it back. And, of course, each option will be risky, but what can you expect when you're recovering?

Typically for team AB whoever is closer will jump out and grab the edge while whoever is not grabbing the edge will simply hit the recovering people when they make it back to the platform. It really is wildly character specific, however. For example if Falco is the closest one to the edge I'm sure he'd be much more interested in looking for a spike than grabbing the edge, whereas is Yoshi is one of the people recovering it doesn't really matter who's doing what....he's getting back.

My general opinion is that if you're in a situation where your back is covered and your opponent is off the edge, go for the spike. Also, if you're on a team it's not a bad idea to have someone always attack recovering opponents and the other person never attack recovering opponents. This'll prevent any chance of hitting each other in these situations, especially if you have a highly agressive team. Of course, "never" doesn't exactly mean never. You want to take advantage of as many opportunities as possible. This is where knowing your teammate really pays off.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Just as a notice, I'll also answer ANY questions about teams, not just those relating to the IAQ. Character specifics, certain tactics, that sort of thing. Also don't be afraid to list some of your own.

I suppose eventually I'll get around to editing the first post. Just like talking about projectiles and such.

losvedir

Smash Apprentice
Oh, good thread idea!

I'm curious what your thoughts are on special team tactics, like Fox healing Ness, or Samus filling Game and Watch. Do you think, given the opportunity, a team should try these tactics? Or would the time be better spent positioning itself or something.

Also, how should a team be constructed? Is it important to have a powerful character and a quick, precise character? I know I tend to do best with Pichu, in team battles, since I'm so fast and can just dance in there, get an attack with virtually no chance of hurting my friend, and then get out of there.

Lastly, contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, I'm of the opinion that A B D C is good for A and C. B and D are surrounded, and provided that A and C aren't right up against the edge, have more mobility. B and D have to be wary of hitting each other, and any projectiles shot by A and C, should they miss, have a good chance of hitting the other opponent.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Originally posted by Varuna
This is good Information. A friend and I are trying to get good at teams He is a Ylink and I am a falco/falcon I was wondering if you could put a section up about projectile camping. or something of the sort.
yeah me too, me and my friend are trying to make a good team, he plays Ness and i play IC/Shiek (80% IC) do you have any tips for us??

Peaches

Smash Lord
I just got a confirmation that almost all people have no clue how to play team attack. I had a clueless rookie on my team jst rolling around in an egg with Yoshi while I cstick spammed with Peach, and we almost won. Such an easily stoppable strategy, but now everyone hates Peach because they can't stop a simple, very punishable strategy. Plus it was team attack off, why do people like that more?

Team attack on is the only way to play team IMO, TAO allows for too much projectile spamming and stuff like Marth slashing from behind someone. Not to mention extremely easy infinite team grabs.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Originally posted by losvedir
Oh, good thread idea!

I'm curious what your thoughts are on special team tactics, like Fox healing Ness, or Samus filling Game and Watch. Do you think, given the opportunity, a team should try these tactics? Or would the time be better spent positioning itself or something.

Also, how should a team be constructed? Is it important to have a powerful character and a quick, precise character? I know I tend to do best with Pichu, in team battles, since I'm so fast and can just dance in there, get an attack with virtually no chance of hurting my friend, and then get out of there.
It seems team construction is the hot topic right now so I'll get to that and look at the rest later.

I had a topic earlier where I stated that the TA on tier list is exactly the same as the 1vs1 tier list. Most of the people that replied disagreed, but also said that no one changed more than a tier if they did change. The best argument I heard for changing tiers is the inability to chain-throw in TA on.

Anyway, I would like to note that the best teams are usually the best 1vs1 players as well. Of course there are a few exceptions such as Hail to the Chimp and myself.

So, my basic advice is to just play your best character(s) and work out the nuances with your teammate. No matter what character you use, with practice you should barely hit your teammate at all.

But, that leads me to...

Gimmicks!

Ness and Samus have a potentially gamebreaking tactic with Samus healing Ness with her charge beam and Ness' absorb. The thing about it is that your opponents need to leave you alone for it to happen, and while you're doing it you're not attacking your opponents. Still, healing is healing. Better to do that instead of attacking recklessly.

Basically it's a nice option to have, but you can't count on using it against good opponents. Furthermore to use this tactic Samus is probably going to be less agressive with her charge beam. Also, this tactic has the unfortunate disadvantage of having to use Ness.

Okay, when I teamed up with Doug we used to use the hold 'em and hit 'em tactic. His Marth would hold them and my Jiggly would rest them. Pretty simple and effective. However, what made this work so well was our teamwork and our ability to isolate people for the 2-on-1 situations. In addition, my Jiggly is pretty good and Doug's Marth was great, so this gimmick was in addition to an already solid team.

So, basically, the lessons with gimmicks is to use them, but don't rely on them. They shouldn't be the main reason you form a team.

Roy Ranevski

Smash Rookie
What I personally like so much about teams is that it's almost as if you get new moves. Even the simplest 'gimmicks' are just fun to have. Take the extremly simple example of a throw into combo. With a double team your stock standard throw into 'whatever juggle' can most likely be replaced by a new bread and butter. It is these 'gangbang' moves that I find extremly intruiging. Ohh yeh, and it's just plain fun to play alongside someone instead of monotomous 1v1. Gotta love those Marth/Roy Link/Y.Link showdowns ;).

In relation to picking teams - I think projectiles bring this stuff to a whole new level. If we have

A_B_C_D

it's pretty basic. However if give A a gun (let's call him Falco) then this adds a whole slew of complexities. If we then say there's a platform above B for A to stand on we get this

A - - - - - - - - -
_B_________C_D_

and **** hits the fan. If player B is someone with a very strong range game (lets say Marth) then C and D will have a very hard time getting in. This sets up A and B into a very strong defensive position, which can be utilised if they were to say take the lead.

There are far more stems than just this, but all I can say is that it becomes very, very complex.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Also, I think for team construction, a factor to consider is saves.

Alot of times you could jump out for a B-air back to the stage, but there are some interesting ones.

Falco can shine his partner back and laser to up-b reset
and pretty much any projectile (save samus' missile/chargeshot, m2 shadowball, and peaches turnip) can save you team mate. My Friend and his brother do saves all the time. He just tosses a needle to his partner >_>
EDIT: Of course, you shouldn't rely on saves that much, especially if they require you to jump of the stage, and potentialy create a situation like this:

___A_B_. . .C. . D

you should probably shoot for one of the following scenarios:

(1)
- - - - - -*A*- - -

_B_______. . C. .D

(2)
- - - - - *A*- - -

_B______C_. . D

(A of course being star KO'ed, or replace that with A. . . . __B_____C_. . .D)
EDIT2: but then both teams could save.... aw w/e.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Look at the post date. Great topic, but way to rez an old thread. :p

Ah well. This does give insight into the world of teams.

JFox

Smash Hero
Earlier, someone mentioned A B D...............C

I was wondering, do you think it would be a wise idea for D to simply jump and grab the ledge, and try to simply hold onto invincibility while the teammate recovers? Imagine A and B on the main platform(FD) C is recovering, and D is hanging from the ledge. Something like:

A B_ <-<-<-<-C
===D

This way your opponents cannot grab the edge and ledgehog your teammate, and you are kept out of a 2v1 situation. And when your opponent is ready to sweet spot the ledge, you simply ledgehop with a decent attack to thwart off any opponents, and instantly give the ledge to your teammate.

Assuming you are playing a character that can ledge stall, this would theoretically be a strong position for all of the aforementioned reasons. If either A or B choose to jump after C, you are in edgehog position, and can easily ledgehop Bair the opponent causing him to at best lose his life after killing your partner, making no significant gain.

Another strong point of being in this position is that A is almost useless as long as he stays behind B, because of the fear of attacking his own teammate. Since A and C are both in difficult positions, this leaves B and D in a 1v1 situation, with B having a slight advantage because he is not on the ledge.

Outside of theory, I use this technique frequently and happen to find it rather effective. When using Sheik I simply camp using the Up B stall, and than Fair on to the stage when my teammate needs the edge.

audreyh

Smash Ace
im in a hurry and iddn't read your whole post but D grabbing the ledge would be a bad bad idea. then A and B could just run over and edgeguard both of you. D should just camp, play defensive like spam nairs or needle like crazy or shl like crazy until C can get back

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, even though I didn't really finish this I still show it to people occasionally and they're like "wow, this totally helped me out" or something to that nature. Almost a year later, in fact.

Basically I tried to reduce things to as simple a format as possible, and then the point is for you to use your imagination to really do some creative stuff.

I guess I didn't really keep this up due to the lack of posts, maybe brought on by my disliking of really short posts.

Anyway, while partner saves are nice, I really don't think it should be a factor in team construction. Also, Samus and Mewtwo's charge shots can save people when they aren't charged.

Earlier, someone mentioned A B D...............C

I was wondering, do you think it would be a wise idea for D to simply jump and grab the ledge, and try to simply hold onto invincibility while the teammate recovers?

This is something creative that I was referring to, and the answer to this is, of course, that it all depends. Firstly, if D is, say...Peach then no she shouldn't attempt to do this. Everything else depends on who your opponents are. If B is a character that can hit you easily from the platform when you are hanging there then this may not be the best of ideas, unless perhaps you're really good at continuously dropping down then re-grabbing the edge.

But basically, if it works it's a good idea and a creative one. However, there are creative counters to this tactic as well. So just use it until your opponents can counter it well, then switch to something else.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've always personally liked the Yoshi + Samus team. Yoshi is one of those characters that can duck under a standing Samus missile, and his projectiles unlike most can easily carry over Samus when in an AB CD standoff. This forces C and D to approach, and as long as both players are paying attention, it will be very difficult to approach these two.

Yoshi also enjoys the light shield gimmick, where he light shields a friendly strong attack, then does a fast sliding grab (think SWD grab speed on the stronger attacks). Including his ease of saving characters with his egg, and his edge game being very strong, I'd say he is theoretically a good teammate.

Now, if only he was a better overall character >_<

JFox

Smash Hero
you may not be aware, but there are several characters (sheik, ganon, mewtwo, fox(illusion), pika, and others that have infinite ledge stalls which protect them while camping the ledge. These were the characters I was referring to earlier. Also yes, peach has a tough time coming back onto the ledge, so that wouldn't be a wise tactic with her.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Whoa, I posted in this topic long ago.

I've always personally liked the Yoshi + Samus team. Yoshi is one of those characters that can duck under a standing Samus missile, and his projectiles unlike most can easily carry over Samus when in an AB CD standoff. This forces C and D to approach, and as long as both players are paying attention, it will be very difficult to approach these two.

Yoshi also enjoys the light shield gimmick, where he light shields a friendly strong attack, then does a fast sliding grab (think SWD grab speed on the stronger attacks). Including his ease of saving characters with his egg, and his edge game being very strong, I'd say he is theoretically a good teammate.
I was thinking Yoshi would be good too, but for different reasons. For one, it seems that any edge-guarding scenario is good for the edge-guarders, so moves with high knockback at low damage, like Yoshi's down tilt, would be helpful in disrupting the opponent. Also, Yoshi's recovery is very fast - he has one of the highest horizontal air speeds in the game, and only recovers with one jump - and the ability to sweetspot the ledge is less critical in the chaos of 2-on-1 (the guard cannot concentrate on edge-hogging). Yoshi seems really geared for 2-on-2!

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
you may not be aware, but there are several characters (sheik, ganon, mewtwo, fox(illusion), pika, and others that have infinite ledge stalls which protect them while camping the ledge.
I'm aware. I was just saying your opponents lack creativity.

If you're going to jump off and infinite ledge-stall while your partner is recovering, you just put your team in a situation where your opponents have absolutely nothing to do but to try and disrupt that. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to have one person jump off and grab the edge before you do during your infinite, while the other guy focuses on smacking you if you do anything else.

This is a similar situation to how Husband and Wife handle a lot of their team edgeguards. Wife will go off and grab the edge, and roll up when the opponent is near. Marth is on the ledge and usually does a forward smash. This will cover just about everything else other than the edge, and he makes sure that he doesn't hit Wife by smashing after she starts rolling.

Yoshi seems really geared for 2-on-2!
Indeed he does, however this comes with a huge warning attached to it. It's really, really easy to lose a stock with Yoshi if you're not careful because if he uses his second jump he has to look out for THREE people who may be able to knock him past the edge with an attack therefore killing him. I say three but it's usually two, however you never know when your teammate will make a mistake.

He also has a problem with pressure as his shield game isn't so hot. This depends a lot on who his opponents are. Ganondorf has the same problem.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
*disclaimer
All third person references will be in the masculine form. That is, “he got served and give him the book.” I’m sorry, but writing him/her a lot is annoying to write and to read. Furthermore, we all know that the majority of video gamers are male.
Actually Scamp you don't need that disclaimer, proper english is that if you don't know the gender of the individual then the referances default to masculane (his, him, he,etc.).

Nice article btw.

Top Bottom