• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Fortress 2

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd rather them become F2P because the older model wasn't making money than have them announce TF3 simply to keep up the costs of all the content patches.

And lets face it, when it's regularly being sold on sale for peanuts...

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Bought the game 3 weeks ago-ish.

Now it's free and all the good servers are full .__.; Don't really want to play 100+ ping matches with 30+ people.

I'll admit, I'm a bit salty.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
TF2 is such an amazing game, making it f2p is a good decision.

Steam name: shamWOW

Seikend, try playing a class that doesn't rely heavily on ping, like engineer or spy.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Maaan, All I usually play is Scout, Attendant-Pyro w/ Flare and Medic if the team needs one.

Guess I should diversify.

Steam name: Husky Unit

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Really the best thing to do is just try them all. Most classes are very simple to pick up. The more complicated classes (Demoman, Engineer and Spy) all have ingame tutorials to teach you the basics.

The "easiest" class is Pyro, but he's honestly one of, if not the worst class in the game. After that, I'd say Heavy, Soldier and Medic.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
yeah, it's just like Smash: try them all, there's no beginner class, see which one's right for you. lol

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Ok, cool. I've just never played a class-based shooter before, and I figured that there might be a slight learning curve.

And no, Call of Duty does not count as class-based.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah imo it seems to be just pick the one you like best. To me I like Pyro the best just because he seems to be the one who does the most killing and I find his gas expulsion thing pretty useful when I'm lighting people on fire and they start shooting at me. I also like Heavy only if there's a Medic on the other team that can back me up when I'm trying to hold up on a firefight involving like 5 people at once. The other classes feel unnatural to me though. Medic is pretty boring and I'll only use him if there's no other Medic on the team, Soldier's rockets don't do as much damage or don't go as fast as I hoped they would, I was never good with noobtubes so Demo is out of the question, I'm terrible with Scout because he's so twitchy and it's hard for me to get kills with him, Engineer only seems to be useful for making turrets and dispensers, which never come into use unless I'm playing something like CTF, I can't play with Spy because I can't sneak up for **** on others, and I can't use Sniper most of the time because I'm on enclosed maps and seeing as my connection isn't the best with this game, I can't be as precise with my shots as I want to be.

And imo, CoD counts as class based to a certain extent seeing as the slots for different weapons are called classes, and since there isn't as much variation on that than in this game

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I like stabbing Bionic and then getting killed by his sentry.

but yeah this is cool! I won't be able to play a lot now that vacation and stuff but maybe when I come back things won't be so hectic and stuff.
yup

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
And imo, CoD counts as class based to a certain extent seeing as the slots for different weapons are called classes, and since there isn't as much variation on that than in this game
They aren't really the same thing. Classes in TF2 are people with guns dedicated to a particular role. Classes in CoD are just a loadout with items you've selected yourself.

Finally downloaded this just a few minutes ago. Haven't got into it yet cus' my bro's using the monitor but I'll try it tomoz when I wake up. :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
They aren't really the same thing. Classes in TF2 are people with guns dedicated to a particular role. Classes in CoD are just a loadout with items you've selected yourself.

Finally downloaded this just a few minutes ago. Haven't got into it yet cus' my bro's using the monitor but I'll try it tomoz when I wake up. :)
Eh, that's why I said to a certain extent. There ARE support roles, sniper roles, assault roles, etc., but nobody ever cares and just goes out for just killing people and ignore more than half the possible roles that are possible

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Pyro, worst class?

OH MAN, somebody needs to learn to airblast.

Steam: BreakMessiah
Classes: Eternal Reward Spy, Soldier, Medic, or whatever is needed based on maptype/teamcomp.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Soldier's rockets don't do as much damage or don't go as fast as I hoped they would
Try and get a hold of the Direct hit. Faster rockets, more damage,though they have a smaller splash radius.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Pyro, worst class?

OH MAN, somebody needs to learn to airblast.

Steam: BreakMessiah
Classes: Eternal Reward Spy, Soldier, Medic, or whatever is needed based on maptype/teamcomp.
To reflect projectiles? Nah.

Demoman fires faster than you can airblast with Grenade Launcher, Loch N' Load is pri hard to reflect considering it's speed. Reflecting sticky bombs is cool and all but you won't be doing any damage back.

Soldier, I guess. But they can just switch to their shotgun and retreat and outdamage a pyro, unless you switch to your flaregun. In which case they can switch to rocket launcher etc.

The airblast is only useful for clearing points from stickybombs, airblasting projectiles to cover teammates and juggling. It doesn't make the pyro good, it just makes him usable as a class.

Which class do you feel is worse than pyro?

EDIT: Althoughhh, I haven't tried the detonator yet, which might change my mind. Gives the pyro that mobility boost it needed to actually be able to flank opponents.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I think the coolest thing that has happened to me in TF2 was when in 2fort, a Pyro was running across the top of the bridge, and I hit a baseball at him as a Scout, and he airblasted it right back to me (didn't receive damage) and I just got the baseball back lol. The pyro taunted and I laughed :awesome:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
To reflect projectiles? Nah.

Demoman fires faster than you can airblast with Grenade Launcher, Loch N' Load is pri hard to reflect considering it's speed. Reflecting sticky bombs is cool and all but you won't be doing any damage back.

Soldier, I guess. But they can just switch to their shotgun and retreat and outdamage a pyro, unless you switch to your flaregun. In which case they can switch to rocket launcher etc.

The airblast is only useful for clearing points from stickybombs, airblasting projectiles to cover teammates and juggling. It doesn't make the pyro good, it just makes him usable as a class.

Which class do you feel is worse than pyro?

EDIT: Althoughhh, I haven't tried the detonator yet, which might change my mind. Gives the pyro that mobility boost it needed to actually be able to flank opponents.
I don't feel any class is really that much better or worse, honestly. Viability is heavily determined by the map you're on.
I kill everybody as Spy anyways. :3

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I bought the game like a week before it was free. ;-;
rocketsci227 is my steam

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
By the way, do we randomly find the new weapons from the update or do we earn them after a getting past a certain milestone for your class.

Or, are they not available yet and will appear in your backpack when they are available.

D

Deleted member

By the way, do we randomly find the new weapons from the update or do we earn them after a getting past a certain milestone for your class.

Or, are they not available yet and will appear in your backpack when they are available.
You either buy them, or they randomly spawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I joined the group too

And I found the Soda Popper. Too bad I'll never get to use it though seeing as I'll never get hang of Scout.

Also, I think Pyro is one of the best classes in the game. Besides Heavy and MAYBE Demo, I don't think there are any other classes that are effective at checking corners. To me the whole purpose of Pyro was to catch the enemy in close quarters at enclosed spaces to kill them. I mean try using Pyro in a map with many corridors and you'll see what I mean. I've also learned that the air expulser thing is one of the Pyro's most invaluable tools. Sure it can deflect projectiles, but it also serves to get your opponent off your back. If you're fighting let's say Heavy, the air blaster is extremely useful at disorienting your opponent as you'd be blasting him away to a different position to which he'd then have to look around to find you again by which point the fire'd have taken away a large chunk of his health. It's also useful for maps with windows and ledges in them. If you know how to use the blaster right you could run a guerrilla strategy and attack while blasting them out of windows once you're almost in trouble of dying to take away a big chunk of their health and possibly finish them off by dropping them to their deaths, depending on how high you happen to be.

I think the problem is that Pyro is simply ineffective at taking out multiple enemies (well honestly that depends on your skill and/or what kinds of enemies you're up against) and fighting at open quarters, which is why you want to catch your enemy alone and in close quarters if possible

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing as Pyro is my most used class right next to Heavy and Medic, I'd assume my way of playing would be somewhat decent

And before anybody tells me anything about **** like flares and stuff, I don't know I've played a lot and I still haven't found one.

And I also realized today that it's more fun to play with a buddy than to play alone. When you're doing Medic/Heavy with a friend it gets pretty crazy out there if you know how to cooperate among other combos

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Bonk Energy Drink is useless against Pyro :(

You simply airblast a couple times to lift them off the ground until the energy drink wears off and then you get them with the fire. Somebody did that to me and shortly after that, I did that to someone else with Pyro lol.

edit: in case I haven't made it clear yet, I'm a Scout player =p

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Pyro is bad at range

play a map like cp_granary or well and you'll see what I mean

Most competitive teams run medic, soldier x2, scout x2, demoman.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Has anybody here actually added somebody from the list rather than just putting your steam ID here?

A bit salty nobody has added me :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd add some but the Aus -> US lag is too much :(

I actually do have it, but I thought that the splash damage was how Soldiers were able to get kills with rockets
The Direct Hit is for those who prefer to hit their enemies rather than just the ground underneath. It's pretty fun taking out a Heavy in 3 hits. That and the normal rocket launcher's really too slow to even try for hitting the player. See a rocket coming? Casually stroll out of the way and you're fine.

You either buy them, or they randomly spawn.
Don't forget crafting, though it's not cheap to craft.

Top Bottom