• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Smash really is the realm to show off a character. My angle was merely that both series can be used to advertise characters and that I personally would spread out how this is done. Sakurai can be pretty unpredictable as is. I remember watching a youtube video with this guy playing a pac-man game and he did this joke where he pretended to be asking to join Smash as a playable fighter. I said out loud that that would never happen. Well here we are! Though I must admit her chances this time are stronger than ever before. Looking at brawl she barely missed out to everybody's favorite fox clone simply due to time contraints. She meets all criteria for his character choices, barring relevance. (he already has her kit concepts, which honestly makes itself, she offers a unique combat style and can contrast well with other characters, personally i also think she'll be a high tier fighter, she's also a character he's wanted to do in the past which is often a card to put them in future titles, she has popularity in both japan and the USA (provided the US also has it's fair share of a hatebase) and lastly the smash ballot, which probably soldifies her even more as a viable, popular choice. SSB4 saw a design direction towards retro characters, this poll very clearly was directed to fan favorites. I can't think of any other first-party characters that are so realizable. While I didn't really agree on Miyamoto's decision to turn Dinosaur Planet into SFA, Krystal was saved from the clutches of Microsoft which may indeed be a worse fate than being suppressed into a DiD. Speaking of Miyamoto, that guy really needs to learn what a sequel is, how many times have we seen the original starfox plot redone? Too many for sure. With any luck his interest in making the series more popular, compiled with Platinum games interest in the series will see him following more conventional routes in the controls department and following story progress from Assault (command doesn't exist...). Zero was merely a tech demo to show off originally the Wii and then the Wii U dynamic controls and I think he's learned there's still some real interest in the series. If a sequel comes about it will certainly have her, this will make her relevant and an irrefutably great choice for however smash makes it to the switch regardless of her hatebase. Lol on a personal note if these things come to past compiled with the rumors of a metroid e3 appearence (a good one I hope..) along with how good of a console I think the switch is conceptually, This could be one of the best consoles in my lifetime.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hello fellow Krystal fans!! Decided to show my support for this cause as it is a cause I believe in as well! Thank you for putting this together Jordansweeto; you have my support! It is refreshing to see all the support that Krystal still has today, and even after the bomb that was Star Fox Zero!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, welcome aboard Smokey21 Smokey21 . Always nice to see new supporters jump in.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Well, welcome aboard Smokey21 Smokey21 . Always nice to see new supporters jump in.
Thank you so much Smokey21 Smokey21 ! Hopefully we can get enough support to make a difference! I've enjoyed just going through the thread and seeing everyone's ideas, there's a lot of good stuff in here. :)

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the group Smokey21 Smokey21 :)

If a sequel comes about it will certainly have her, this will make her relevant and an irrefutably great choice for however smash makes it to the switch regardless of her hatebase. Lol on a personal note if these things come to past compiled with the rumors of a metroid e3 appearence (a good one I hope..) along with how good of a console I think the switch is conceptually, This could be one of the best consoles in my lifetime.
As much as I'd love to be 100% confident that Krystal will return in the next Star Fox game, this is Miyamoto we're talking about. He keeps going back to the SF 64 formula because it was his initial vision for the series. That means the 4 piece team, Fox, Falco, Slippy and Peppy.
The series definitely needs to evolve but in his eyes I'm sure it definitely doesn't need Krystal.
That possibility alone upsets me because Nintendo have put such an emphasis on establishing Krystal as a main character in the series for YEARS now, almost a decade! Cutting her as a main character at this point would be very upsetting to a lot of fans of the series.

Right NOW more than ever if we want to see Krystal return we need to make our voices heard! Nintendo needs to be constantly reminded about how popular Krystal is, even to this day after not seeing her for so long. They will listen if we make our voices public. And other Krystal fans who aren't as confident will see our support and chime in too! (it's easier to stand with a popular opinion!)

I've made a Youtube Support Team for Krystal and made a playlist on that channel with videos that we should send our support to.
If any of you are serious about bringing Krystal back then please go check out the playlist I made and keep an eye on it with your support ready, i won't post videos so if you subscribe then it will only notify you of new videos I add to the playlist that we should all target: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbLPk-Ifjy_DWF3LCHxMIQ/playlists?sort=dd&view=1&shelf_id=0

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
jordansweeto jordansweeto I'd like ask Miyamoto if he even likes Krystal, anyone who would give a passing grade to Command's treatment of her is her enemy. The guy has to make a sequel at this point, he can't keep making the same exact game over and over, we've run out of Starfox 2 gimmicks to go back too aswell, people have voiced their opinion against the motion controls that zero offered, and while we absolutely need to keep our support up, people have shown them being upset with Krystal's exclusion from Zero. I find it somewhat hard to believe that such a successful game designer would keep the blunder this time. Have faith, this time the N64 plot line being seen again finally left a bland taste in fans mouthes, and this opinion is fairly permeated. I just recently came up with an angle that should increase our hopes aswell, her glaring weakness is relevance. Well there's 3 ways for this to be effectively addressed. The most reliable one is that the smash ballot is going to address fan favorites, these characters can stand on their own merits and could pass the relevance check as they could make money on their own if need be, this brings other characters higher into the mix but Krystal can defeat them all with her other advantages. Second is obviously a new starfox title. and Lastly Gamecube Virtual Console, Smash will likely see the gamecube controllers return, Fire Emblem Heroes was already used to advertise Ephraim & Eirika from an older FE franchise which is sold on the Eshop, with Starfox Assault & Adventures of course being the target games, this is the least likely option. I will check out this playlist, we shall rally behind our vixen

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Smokey21 Smokey21 ! I am glad to stand by you in this endeavor, I and many other Krystal fans look up to you :). I am glad to be here with you and I plan to fully support you! I have subbed to the youtube channel and will go do what I can with them! :)

Sadly if Miyamoto has as much of a say on the game direction he will get what he wants most the time. I just hope that Zero was indicative enough as to what is needed in a star fox game in the future and that they have a better understanding of what to do with it this time around. All we know currently is that Miyamoto wants the franchise to continue because Fox isn't as popular as he wants him to be. I am sure all the upset krystal fans also gave them a hard time for not including her this time around.

I think Krystal needs her own game to be honest though. She needs more of her own identity. Fleshing out her character would also likely get her new fans. There is just so much unexplored potential with the character and it's disappointing to say the least. I was a bit upset when she wasnt in Zero, but I still got the game and sucked it up. The game actually wasn't terrible and was quite fun(once you get used to the controls), but I thought it was too short and didn't want to play it a million times especially knowing Krystal wasn't in it and then the game bombed sales-wise to top things off.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's likely never going to happen, but I'm with Smokey. I'd like Krystal to get her own solo game.

I think a remake of Adventures where you actually play as Krystal with team Star Fox showing up late in the game for back up would be a good retelling/re imagining of her origin without straying too far from what fans have come to expect.

She's on the ground going through things on her own, eventually she either manages to call for backup or Star Fox are sent on a mission of their own. Then they meet and team up, and once the job's done, they offer Krystal a chance to join the crew and she accepts leading into her being in the next proper Star Fox game.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
We can dream can't we? :)

And yeah, that is more or less what I was thinking with her solo game where you play as her for the majority of the game if not all of it. The whole krystal in the crystal thing was pretty annoying. lol

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Perhaps it can be Tricky that gets stuck in the crystal instead? No? Maybe?

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps it can be Tricky that gets stuck in the crystal instead? No? Maybe?
That would actually be pretty funny. Kinda like an homage to the old game while cracking a joke. XD

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's likely never going to happen, but I'm with Smokey. I'd like Krystal to get her own solo game.

I think a remake of Adventures where you actually play as Krystal with team Star Fox showing up late in the game for back up would be a good retelling/re imagining of her origin without straying too far from what fans have come to expect.

She's on the ground going through things on her own, eventually she either manages to call for backup or Star Fox are sent on a mission of their own. Then they meet and team up, and once the job's done, they offer Krystal a chance to join the crew and she accepts leading into her being in the next proper Star Fox game.
I had an idea for another Adventures-style spinoff, actually. It involves Fox following a distress signal alone (there'd have to be a plot reason for why), Krystal following him because she isn't just going to sit back and not do something, and then both of them getting pulled down by a storm/gravity field/tractor beam/etc. onto the seemingly desolate alien world the signal came from and being stranded separately from each other.

From there, you'd play as each of them, exploring the planet using different means: Krystal with her battlestaff and upgrades similar to Adventures (there'd be Cerinian ruins there for mysterious reasons), and Fox using more high tech weaponry and hand to hand combat, even gaining formerly Smash-exclusive stuff like his reflector. So you'd have two characters with very distinct means of traversing and exploring the setting, able to do different things at different places at different times.

But the interesting part? While something about the planet would block any of their own signals from breaching the atmosphere, they'd re-establish radio contact with each other early on. This would make it so each of them played the talking fairy companion role for the other, letting them constantly play off each other and build chemistry in a natural way that doesn't interfere with any plot elements!

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I had an idea for another Adventures-style spinoff, actually. It involves Fox following a distress signal alone (there'd have to be a plot reason for why), Krystal following him because she isn't just going to sit back and not do something, and then both of them getting pulled down by a storm/gravity field/tractor beam/etc. onto the seemingly desolate alien world the signal came from and being stranded separately from each other.

From there, you'd play as each of them, exploring the planet using different means: Krystal with her battlestaff and upgrades similar to Adventures (there'd be Cerinian ruins there for mysterious reasons), and Fox using more high tech weaponry and hand to hand combat, even gaining formerly Smash-exclusive stuff like his reflector. So you'd have two characters with very distinct means of traversing and exploring the setting, able to do different things at different places at different times.

But the interesting part? While something about the planet would block any of their own signals from breaching the atmosphere, they'd re-establish radio contact with each other early on. This would make it so each of them played the talking fairy companion role for the other, letting them constantly play off each other and build chemistry in a natural way that doesn't interfere with any plot elements!
That is actually a pretty cool idea. This idea does seem to be under the impression that Krystal is already back in the franchise, and the current problem with the franchise was her removal for the "re-imagining" in zero's timeline. Still this would be a great idea for a potential sequel after her reintroduction to the game/star fox team if Nintendo chooses to go that route. But yeah I wouldn't mind another game following an adventure style of gameplay.

Yeah the gameplay elements also sound fun, maybe have Krystal use her staff and give her her telepathic powers and maybe tap into more psychic style powers at later points in the game as well as her elemental powers that we all know she would have used had we been able to play her for longer than 5 minutes in adventures haha. For fox the play style would be pretty reliant on his blaster/hand to hand like you were saying, and gadgets. Also, he would probably get enhancements that change his style of play, maybe by making his blaster spread or lock on, or add tricks to his other gadgets/tools or physical enhancements to his hand to hand style like strength augments or reflex boosts.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wish Nintendo would take non-main characters and give them their own games more often. Granted they do it a lot more than other companies but that's mostly for Mario characters. Closest I think is Star Fox Guard and Slippy.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely love all your ideas on a new Adventures styled Star Fox game with more of an emphasis put on Krystal (I would be over the moon if we got something like that!) but I definitely am hoping for a Star Fox game that literally picks up right where Assault left the series, both story-wise and gamplay-wise!

I think this would be the best route to take the series as a whole, at least from where it is now.
IF Nintendo delved into something more akin to Adventures again in the future I'd be thrilled but the series desperately needs a clear direction for it's main games.
Assault with it's mix of vehicle and on-foot combat structure should be that direction in my opinion. It let's Star Fox evolve while keeping the elements that made it great in the first place (the iconic arwing combat)

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does this sound majorly close to a modern Jet Force Gemini?
I'm on board.
Jet Force Gemini was one of my favorite games growing up. The game was freakishly long as well as having plenty of time to improve your characters(through the miscellaneous power ups lying around on all the planets). Also. the game had so many planets to explore, which was awesome! I would love to have that kind of world building in the Star Fox universe.
I wish Nintendo would take non-main characters and give them their own games more often. Granted they do it a lot more than other companies but that's mostly for Mario characters. Closest I think is Star Fox Guard and Slippy.
Yeah me too. I also feel like Nintendo has the best potential characters to do that kind of spin-off as well because what nintendo is known for is all their characters/IP. I also didn't like Star Fox Guard that much, so I would prefer something else for a spinoff. xD
I absolutely love all your ideas on a new Adventures styled Star Fox game with more of an emphasis put on Krystal (I would be over the moon if we got something like that!) but I definitely am hoping for a Star Fox game that literally picks up right where Assault left the series, both story-wise and gamplay-wise!

I think this would be the best route to take the series as a whole, at least from where it is now.
IF Nintendo delved into something more akin to Adventures again in the future I'd be thrilled but the series desperately needs a clear direction for it's main games.
Assault with it's mix of vehicle and on-foot combat structure should be that direction in my opinion. It let's Star Fox evolve while keeping the elements that made it great in the first place (the iconic arwing combat)
I would be happy if we got either of those styles of game for a new Star Fox game. I am sure all of us are tired of the 64 reboot train(even most of the Star Fox 64 advocates), especially since every time it is done without Krystal in it. If it were a true "re-imagining," then they could have rewritten her age at the time to include her in it.

Nintendo seems to think that the game needs to sell a gimmick with each of their successful Star fox Games. For N64 that was the Rumblepack and for the SNES Star Fox that was the FX chip. I still remember that commercial. This time around Miyamoto wanted to try to sell the motion controls because it did so well with Splatoon. I think that the sooner they stop trying to sell gimmicks with the Star Fox games the sooner we will get an actual Star Fox game. Although we could probably get some pretty cool gimmicks with the switch conceptually as a console.

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
So I just found out there has been a new Krystal support group since some time ago. great to still see support for the character, and its also great to see some new people on board.

jordansweeto jordansweeto I found this Steam group dedicated to support Krystal, there are about 200 people in this group I´m sure some could join your twitter group or here if you asked them.
Here is the Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/luvkrystal

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I've made a Youtube Support Team for Krystal and made a playlist on that channel with videos that we should send our support to.
If any of you are serious about bringing Krystal back then please go check out the playlist I made and keep an eye on it with your support ready, i won't post videos so if you subscribe then it will only notify you of new videos I add to the playlist that we should all target: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbLPk-Ifjy_DWF3LCHxMIQ/playlists?sort=dd&view=1&shelf_id=0
Done and done! I await further instruction!
So I just found out there has been a new Krystal support group since some time ago. great to still see support for the character, and its also great to see some new people on board.

jordansweeto jordansweeto I found this Steam group dedicated to support Krystal, there are about 200 people in this group I´m sure some could join your twitter group or here if you asked them.
Smokey21 Smokey21 Oh hey I am in that group as well! I made a post in there regarding this thread last night in fact! Feel free to post something under that thread to get it more attention. That goes for anyone else here currently :). I am currently online as well as smokey if you want to add me! ^_^

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Is it just me or does this sound majorly close to a modern Jet Force Gemini?
I'm on board.
This sounds fairly similar to the original Dinosaur Planet, which was a very different game before it was reworked into Star Fox Adventures. In it, the original feline version of Krystal, and Sabre (who Fox later replaced), both had equal playtime, and you would swap between them because they were located on separate hemispheres of the planet.

Of course, all we have left of that now is this old trade-show footage;

This gives a bit of an idea of how it all once was.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, this has been bugging me ever since I figured out how to do that special Smash Taunt feature on Smash for Wii U.

If Krystal isn't in any of the codecs for that stage, yet it takes place during Assault...I mean, does anyone else get the feeling that Krystal's being saved for Smash for Switch?

I mean, think about it. Fox and Falco are the only playable SF characters in Smash 4, and Orbital Gate is the first SF stage in which you CAN'T perform the codec with Fox and/or Falco on it. Add to the fact that Krystal isn't around in the codec, and this whole thing clearly takes place DURING Assault, and...I don't know. It just got me thinking, you know?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Hey guys, this has been bugging me ever since I figured out how to do that special Smash Taunt feature on Smash for Wii U.

If Krystal isn't in any of the codecs for that stage, yet it takes place during Assault...I mean, does anyone else get the feeling that Krystal's being saved for Smash for Switch?

I mean, think about it. Fox and Falco are the only playable SF characters in Smash 4, and Orbital Gate is the first SF stage in which you CAN'T perform the codec with Fox and/or Falco on it. Add to the fact that Krystal isn't around in the codec, and this whole thing clearly takes place DURING Assault, and...I don't know. It just got me thinking, you know?
Sadly I think that's more telling of them possibly forgetting to include Krystal in the codec rather than preparing for her inclusion.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Well we can at least hope that smashkirby is onto something! But yeah you're probably right Kirbeh. -_-

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace

Sadly I think that's more telling of them possibly forgetting to include Krystal in the codec rather than preparing for her inclusion.
>Krystal for some reason isnt in the stage despite being in it in the actual game
>Not even Wolf and team were there and they appeared in the second half of the level
>Krystal for some reason wasnt in the Assault trophy display, but Panther was in the Star Wolf section. Another trophy or few from this series weren't displayed either.
>Multiple other trophies from various series were not featured either, it's not just Star Foxes
>To be fair here, the entire concept of the trophy display sets were a mess as it wasnt balanced out and had a bunch of themes that were just weird. In other words it was very inconsistent
>A wild guess but maybe the 64 VAs had something to do with it? They were trying to bank in on nostalgia with Zero, which ironically backfired. The point is the four stuck out too much compared to Krystals voice and even Wolf and crews Assault voices.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I have a bunch of kit concepts I made laying around and decided to spruce up the ol' Krystal kit, figured I'd post it here:
Select Screen Info :Krystal (Assault Outfit art default) [includes adventures palette swap]
Appearance Animation: *her ship flies overhead and she warps out from it, it banks straight upwards after*
Punch-out!! Stage title: [Mysterious Sole Survivor]
Up Taunt: {*she spins the staff around her body before holding it upwards with one hand with the staff fully extended as she says* "So glad to have my staff back...}
Left/Right Taunt: {*she brings her finger up in a taunt and says "Try me"*} --a reference to ZSS who has the same voice actor
Down Taunt: {*she puts her first two fingers to her temples and closes her eyes before saying "...I'm sensing some discomfort"}
; ("Well... This is embarrassing.") --Victory quote against Fox
: (*she throws her staff up into the air as the camera follows it before it comes back down and she's ontop of her ship) --Victory animation
: ("Sorry Falco, looks like the skies are mine.") --Victory against Link obviously
: ("I am NOT 'princess'") --Victory against Wolf
-Stats
moderate damage
moderate grab strength
good speed
moderate aerials
good combo ability
low weight
good fall speed
good recovery
can prone
can walljump
medium dodges

[Shield] --she uses the staff shield from Adventures, this operates similar to Yoshi's shield
+her shield does not shrink in size
+the shield changes colors from blue to red (to indicate health, different palettes change the cycling colors)
-decreased shield activation speed
-decreased shield exit speed

Movement:
Idle: she stands similar to her idle animation in the multiplayer select screen with her staff titled a bit
Walk: she walks forward at a fairly slow pace, deliberately in a semi-passive catwalk model style
Run: she runs similar to her animations from adventures
Jump: she kicks up with her right foot and brings her left foot up a bit, below-average jump height
Double Jump: she is channeled upwards by a spirit, above-average jump height
Fall: maintains a pose similar to when she was trapped in the crystal
Land: she lands on one knee with her palm on the ground before reverting quickly to a standing pose
Croutch: she sits similar to zelda
Pullup: she pulls herself up with both hands then lands on her feet
Pullup Attack: she releases a small shockwave with her staff shortened on the stage and then pulls herself up with it
Recovering: she shakes her head and pushes herself up until she can use her legs and goes into a standing pose
Recovering Attack: she extends her staff horizontally quickly and jumps up into a standing pose after

Button 1:
Standard: she lets out a small blue pulse gently from her left hand, before releasing a lower, deliberate blue pulse from her right that pops the opponent in the air a short distance, she then brings out her staff at a moderate length above her head and starts spinning it facing diagonally upwards, this can be held indefinitley, hitting standard again will cause her to high kick into the spinning staff, stopping it and launching the opponent diagonally away into the air
Side Smash: she holds her staff outwards with both hands and a blue sphere charges across it, increasing the staff's length as it does, releasing it will cause her to swing in a small arc forward
Side Tilt: she struts forward with her left leg and does a high-knee kick
Dash Attack: she jumps up, equipping her staff and winding all the way around for a swing, deals more damage at the end of the attack
Up Smash: she croutches down a bit and holds her staff with both hands aimed partially upwards, a blue sphere travels across it and it increases it's length as it does, releasing it will cause her to swing in a short arc upwards, launches straight up
Up Tilt: she looks up as grenade materials in her hand and chucks it upwards, it detonates in a small radius after a set distance, treated as a projectile
NOTE: the throwing upwards animation can pop very close enemies into the grenade
Down Smash: she materializes a gatling gun as she croutches down and lets out a volley of fire for about a half second, this deals very high damage but has a very weak launching hit, only popping them off the ground a bit, has decent ending lag
Down Tilt: while crouched down she quickly extends the staff, wedging it into the ground and ripping upwards, triping the opponent. has decent ending lag

Button 2:
Damage: B Fire Blaster (the staff shrinks and she shoots a blast forward, it adheres to the opponent and expands, dealing 4% damage over a short time) --cannot be fired successively to avoid holstering animation
Utlity: Side+B Freeze Blaster (she grips the staff with two hands and it extends, she fires a gust of ice that rapidly hitstuns and pushes the opponents away, a final puff will freeze opponents and launch them upwards, her fall speed is reduced by 70% for the duration)
-NOTE: if you hit an opponent while the Fire Blaster shot is adhered to them, they take double damage from the ice attack with a boiling water effect, they are not frozen so make sure you follow up quickly!
Combo Starter/Interrupt: Down+B Super Quake (she extends her staff and plants it into the ground and it charges energy indicated by a blue glow traveling across the staff. Once fully charged the attack can be fairly quickly unleashed to create a ground-based stun pulse
-NOTE: When charged fully and used in the air: the attack will cause you to quickly speed downwards, the attack will complete after hitting ground, When not fully charged and used in the air, it will meteor if they are hit by the very bottom end
Recovery: Up+B Staff Booster (she grips the staff with two hands, floating much like fox as the staff channels energy downwards, it will carry opponents across it and launch them the opposite direction the player selected when they fly, decent flight path, deals no damage after initial charge up)
Ultimate: Spirit Conduit (she faces the screen and is locked into place, pooling in spirit energy and becoming invulnerable, the player can press the special button to create imploding pulses that shrink in from offscreen, if an enemy is hit by this pulse part of their soul is torn out and absorbed into krystal, they are pulled towards her and take fairly high damage, krystal heals a small amount aswell
and releases a small but powerful pillar that launches opponents heavily upwards, she can release 5 of these pulses before it ending or when the attack ends automatically)
-NOTE: the pillar has hitstun frames during it's charging animation to make it easier to get opponents into the launch zone, she does not fall if in the air either

Aerials:
Neutral: she faces the screen and holds out her hands to generate a strong barrier, this slows her descent by 70% while stopping any momentum or input, deals high damage and launch at the start (after a moderate amount of windup) and negates weak melee strikes and projectiles
Fair: she pulls out her staff diagonally upwards and extends it a little before swinging it down in a considerable arc
Bair: she kicks backwards and lets out a small burst of spirit energy, sending her forward a bit, has high launch and decent windup
Uair: she materializes a grenade and throws it upwards, deals no damage itself but it has a small detonation radius
Dair: she faces the screen with her legs posed much like her croutch animation and she brings her tail down, it deals multiple hits as it radiates with spirit energy, the initial hit can pull them in, deals weak damage, her tail is invulnerable for the duration

Grabs:
Grabbing: she holds out her palm and emits blue energy, if the enemy is close enough it will grab them
Grab Hit: she chops them with her hand
Forward Throw: she brings her right palm back and strikes them with it, deals moderate damage and launch
Down Throw: she trips them with her staff before jumping up and flipping before impaling the end of the staff on them, launching them upwards with small quake
Up Throw: she sets the bottom of the staff on the ground before extending it and letting go of their souls, launchs them upwards and deals damage once
Back Throw: she brings up her other palm open and circle throws them

Shield:
Shielding: she croutches down quickly as she plants her staff and extends it a bit, a shield forms out from it nearly identical to the one in adventures
Down Dodge: she dodges down like fox
Air Dodge: she floats away from the screen for a moment
Forward Dodge: she extends and anchors her staff and swings off it as if around something, moderate distance
Back Dodge: she back flips and then slowly lands, has a longer dodge period than expected
Quick Land: she lands stomach to the ground but before she hits the ground she channels a spirit to prevent herself from hitting the ground and floats back up with it into her idle
Quick Land Forward: identical to the start of Quick Land but instead she kicks off it and rolls before she lands, moderate distance
Quick Land Backward: identical to the start of Quick Land but instead she plants her staff on the ground and channels the spirit onto and kicks off with it into backflip before landing

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
>Krystal for some reason isnt in the stage despite being in it in the actual game
>Not even Wolf and team were there and they appeared in the second half of the level
>Krystal for some reason wasnt in the Assault trophy display, but Panther was in the Star Wolf section. Another trophy or few from this series weren't displayed either.
>Multiple other trophies from various series were not featured either, it's not just Star Foxes
>To be fair here, the entire concept of the trophy display sets were a mess as it wasnt balanced out and had a bunch of themes that were just weird. In other words it was very inconsistent
>A wild guess but maybe the 64 VAs had something to do with it? They were trying to bank in on nostalgia with Zero, which ironically backfired. The point is the four stuck out too much compared to Krystals voice and even Wolf and crews Assault voices.
It's good to know that decisions being made regarding Star Fox are terrible across multiple directors.
I have a bunch of kit concepts I made laying around and decided to spruce up the ol' Krystal kit, figured I'd post it here:
Select Screen Info :Krystal (Assault Outfit art default) [includes adventures palette swap]
Appearance Animation: *her ship flies overhead and she warps out from it, it banks straight upwards after*
Up Taunt: {*she spins the staff around her body before holding it upwards with one hand with the staff fully extended as she says* "So glad to have my staff back...}
Left/Right Taunt: {*she brings her finger up in a taunt and says "Try me"*} --a reference to ZSS who has the same voice actor
Down Taunt: {*she puts her first two fingers to her temples and closes her eyes before saying "...I'm sensing some discomfort"}
: (*she throws her staff up into the air as the camera follows it before it comes back down and she's ontop of her ship) --Victory animation
: ("Sorry Falco, looks like the skies are mine.") --Victory against Link obviously
-Stats
moderate damage
moderate grab strength
good speed
moderate aerials
good combo ability
low weight
good fall speed
good recovery
can prone
can walljump
medium dodges

[Shield] --she uses the staff shield from Adventures, this operates similar to Yoshi's shield
+the shield changes colors from blue to red (to indicate health, different palettes change the cycling colors)

Movement:
Idle: she stands similar to her idle animation in the multiplayer select screen with her staff titled a bit
Walk: she walks forward at a fairly slow pace, deliberately in a semi-passive catwalk model style
Jump: she kicks up with her right foot and brings her left foot up a bit, below-average jump height
Land: she lands on one knee with her palm on the ground before reverting quickly to a standing pose
Pullup Attack: she releases a small shockwave with her staff shortened on the stage and then pulls herself up with it
Recovering: she shakes her head and pushes herself up until she can use her legs and goes into a standing pose
Recovering Attack: she extends her staff horizontally quickly and jumps up into a standing pose after

Button 1:
Standard: she lets out a small blue pulse gently from her left hand, before releasing a lower, deliberate blue pulse from her right that pops the opponent in the air a short distance, she then brings out her staff at a moderate length above her head and starts spinning it facing diagonally upwards, this can be held indefinitley, hitting standard again will cause her to high kick into the spinning staff, stopping it and launching the opponent diagonally away into the air
Side Smash: she holds her staff outwards with both hands and a blue sphere charges across it, increasing the staff's length as it does, releasing it will cause her to swing in a small arc forward
Dash Attack: she jumps up, equipping her staff and winding all the way around for a swing, deals more damage at the end of the attack
Up Smash: she croutches down a bit and holds her staff with both hands aimed partially upwards, a blue sphere travels across it and it increases it's length as it does, releasing it will cause her to swing in a short arc upwards, launches straight up
Up Tilt: she looks up as grenade materials in her hand and chucks it upwards, it detonates in a small radius after a set distance, treated as a projectile
NOTE: the throwing upwards animation can pop very close enemies into the grenade
Down Smash: she materializes a gatling gun as she croutches down and lets out a volley of fire for about a second, this deals very high damage but has a very weak launching hit, only popping them off the ground a bit, has decent ending lag
Down Tilt: while crouched down she quickly extends the staff, wedging it into the ground and ripping upwards, triping the opponent. has decent ending lag

Button 2:
Damage: B Fire Blaster (the staff shrinks and she shoots a blast forward, it adheres to the opponent and expands, dealing 4% damage over a short time) --cannot be fired successively to avoid holstering animation
Utlity: Side+B Freeze Blaster (she grips the staff with two hands and it extends, she fires a gust of ice that rapidly hitstuns and pushes the opponents away, a final puff will freeze opponents and launch them upwards, her fall speed is reduced by 70% for the duration)
-NOTE: if you hit an opponent while the Fire Blaster shot is adhered to them, they take double damage from the ice attack with a boiling water effect, they are not frozen so make sure you follow up quickly!
Combo Starter/Interrupt: Down+B Super Quake (she extends her staff and plants it into the ground and it charges energy indicated by a blue glow traveling across the staff. Once fully charged the attack can be fairly quickly unleashed to create a ground-based stun pulse
-NOTE: When charged fully and used in the air: the attack will cause you to quickly speed downwards, the attack will complete after hitting ground, When not fully charged and used in the air, it will meteor if they are hit by the very bottom end
Recovery: Up+B Staff Booster (she grips the staff with two hands, floating much like fox as the staff channels energy downwards, it will carry opponents across it and launch them the opposite direction the player selected when they fly, decent flight path, deals no damage after initial charge up)
Ultimate: Spirit Conduit (she faces the screen and is locked into place, pooling in spirit energy and becoming invulnerable, the player can press the special button to create imploding pulses that shrink in from offscreen, if an enemy is hit by this pulse part of their soul is torn out and absorbed into krystal, they are pulled towards her and take fairly high damage, krystal heals a small amount aswell
and releases a small but powerful pillar that launches opponents heavily upwards, she can release 5 of these pulses before it ending or when the attack ends automatically)
-NOTE: the pillar has hitstun frames during it's charging animation to make it easier to get opponents into the launch zone, she does not fall if in the air either

Aerials:
Neutral: she faces the screen and holds out her hands to generate a strong barrier, this slows her descent by 70% while stopping any momentum or input, deals high damage and launch at the start (after a moderate amount of windup) and negates weak melee strikes and projectiles
Fair: she pulls out her staff diagonally upwards and extends it a little before swinging it down in a considerable arc
Bair: she kicks backwards and lets out a small burst of spirit energy, sending her forward a bit, has high launch and decent windup
Uair: she materializes a grenade and throws it upwards, deals no damage itself but it has a small detonation radius
Dair: she faces the screen with her legs posed much like her croutch animation and she brings her tail down, it deals multiple hits as it radiates with spirit energy, the initial hit can pull them in, deals weak damage, her tail is invulnerable for the duration

Grabs:
Grabbing: she holds out her palm and emits blue energy, if the enemy is close enough it will grab them
Forward Throw: she brings her right palm back and strikes them with it, deals moderate damage and launch
Down Throw: she trips them with her staff before jumping up and flipping before impaling the end of the staff on them, launching them upwards with small quake
Up Throw: she sets the bottom of the staff on the ground before extending it and letting go of their souls, launchs them upwards and deals damage once

Shield:
Shielding: she croutches down quickly as she plants her staff and extends it a bit, a shield forms out from it nearly identical to the one in adventures
Forward Dodge: she extends and anchors her staff and swings off it as if around something, moderate distance
Back Dodge: she back flips and then slowly lands, has a longer dodge period than expected
Quick Land: she lands stomach to the ground but before she hits the ground she channels a spirit to prevent herself from hitting the ground and floats back up with it into her idle
Quick Land Forward: identical to the start of Quick Land but instead she kicks off it and rolls before she lands, moderate distance
Quick Land Backward: identical to the start of Quick Land but instead she plants her staff on the ground and channels the spirit onto and kicks off with it into backflip before landing
That's some good **** right there. Especially loving the psychic soul attack ideas and the Assault weapons added in.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
-Stats
moderate damage
moderate grab strength
good speed
moderate aerials
good combo ability
low weight
good fall speed
good recovery
can prone
can walljump
medium dodges

Movement:

Button 1:
Down Smash: she materializes a gatling gun as she croutches down and lets out a volley of fire for about a second, this deals very high damage but has a very weak launching hit, only popping them off the ground a bit, has decent ending lag

Button 2:

Aerials:

Grabs:

Shield:
I really like this move-set! How you portray the character while listing off her skills are all true to the character and stay on track with her mystical roots from adventures while adding in her tricks from assault and onward. the taunts are very flavorful. I also like her ultimate ability in this set, there aren't many abilities in the game at all that function as a self heal and this being a final smash will generally keep it out of competitive. I would be super happy if we got a move-set along these lines.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Hello again fellow Krystal supporters!! Many of the veteran supporters remember me, but to the newbies I say salutations and welcome.

While this is certainly an interesting theory it doesn't really mean anything like what Kirbeh said. Anyway, it is still puzzling as to why Krystal isn't in any of the Orbital Assault stage transmissions. It's also weird how a number of trophies aren't in trophy display boxes like they should be.

This makes me believe like they rushed Sm4sh out like they did with Brawl. They were running out of time so, they added in fillers like Smash Run for the 3DS and the Mario Party based mini game on the Wii U version. They could've used that space in the game for more characters like Ice Climbers and Wolf(who should've been in from the start) in the game. Maybe even Krystal or King K. Rool. I believe more could've been possible for Sm4sh if Sakurai didn't have the pressure of keeping information from being leaked constantly and any other bullsh@t he had to put up with while developing Sm4sh.

Now as for my idea for an SF:A remake....They could easily make it how it originally was where Fox rescued Krystal earlier in the game as indicated in the unused Krystal dialogue seen around on the internet. The one unused line I liked the most was the one where she says her leg is sprained or whatever. My idea is instead of Andross sealing her up in a crystal she could be taken prisoner by the SharpClaw Tribe. I see the intro of the remake being the same except instead of Krystal leaving "Scott free" from General Scales. During the little confrontation they have Scales trips up Krystal as she's running at him making her injure a leg to the extent of not being able to get away. General Scales seeing that she's injured takes her by the throat like in the original and drags her into his ship while venomously mentioning about letting the SharpClaw Tribe take care of her. The scene then changes to the large gate hiding the SharpClaw Tribe village. General Scales is seen holding Krystal by the throat again and ruthlessly tosses her in front it. General Scales then leaves the area as the tribes people make themselves known. Krystal looks up helplessly as the SharpClaws grab her by the arms and bind them together. The last thing you see as the screen goes slowly dark is Krystal being dragged through the gate into the village. A final scene with Krystal is shown where her arms are bound by ropes to a post in a hut. Lying there helpless Krystal in last ditch effort reaches out telepathically to anyone near by for help. That's when team StarFox enters the picture.

Just like in the original the team receives a faint distress call from Sauria. As we pan into the Great Fox's bridge we Slippy doing some random maintenance on the ship as it's in a lot of disrepair at the time. Peppy is also there doing random system checks of the Great Fox with R.O.B.. Lastly we see Fox asleep in the commander's chair . Then as the camera does a close of Fox he suddenly wakes up in a startled fashion. Remember that telepathic distress call from Krystal? That's what wakes him up as he shakes his head in confusion( a sound clip of Krystal talking in his mind plays during this time btw) trying figure out if his mind is playing tricks on him or someone is actually needing help. Snapping out of his thoughts Fox asks how close they are to Sauria, so he can prepare himself for the mission at hand. It continues on just as the original did except for part of being able to use the staff. He'll be able to use his blaster this time, but it's set to stun enemies. Basically smash based attacks for him this time minus the fox fire attack(lol).

I have more to explain about my idea for remake, but mind is out of wack right now. XD

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Lol hey thanks guys, Krystal was very fun to make because her kit comes with so much unique flavor built in, i just decided to put some extra seasoning on it. I figured that it was possible to keep some Assault elements in to the staunchly (and well intended) Adventures-styled kit. I personally am proud of the cute Fire & Ice gimmick. Her ultimate was actually even more dynamic originally but I toned it down for practicality, the original would require every stage to be modified just for her ultimate... not exactly reasonable. There's a lot of unexplored power in her being a spiritual channeler, considering she could manage energy that was suppressing planet-wide magical power I wanted to stuff all of those things into her kit.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hello again fellow Krystal supporters!! Many of the veteran supporters remember me, but to the newbies I say salutations and welcome.

While this is certainly an interesting theory it doesn't really mean anything like what Kirbeh said. Anyway, it is still puzzling as to why Krystal isn't in any of the Orbital Assault stage transmissions. It's also weird how a number of trophies aren't in trophy display boxes like they should be.

This makes me believe like they rushed Sm4sh out like they did with Brawl. They were running out of time so, they added in fillers like Smash Run for the 3DS and the Mario Party based mini game on the Wii U version. They could've used that space in the game for more characters like Ice Climbers and Wolf(who should've been in from the start) in the game. Maybe even Krystal or King K. Rool. I believe more could've been possible for Sm4sh if Sakurai didn't have the pressure of keeping information from being leaked constantly and any other bullsh@t he had to put up with while developing Sm4sh.

Now as for my idea for an SF:A remake....They could easily make it how it originally was where Fox rescued Krystal earlier in the game as indicated in the unused Krystal dialogue seen around on the internet. The one unused line I liked the most was the one where she says her leg is sprained or whatever. My idea is instead of Andross sealing her up in a crystal she could be taken prisoner by the SharpClaw Tribe. I see the intro of the remake being the same except instead of Krystal leaving "Scott free" from General Scales. During the little confrontation they have Scales trips up Krystal as she's running at him making her injure a leg to the extent of not being able to get away. General Scales seeing that she's injured takes her by the throat like in the original and drags her into his ship while venomously mentioning about letting the SharpClaw Tribe take care of her. The scene then changes to the large gate hiding the SharpClaw Tribe village. General Scales is seen holding Krystal by the throat again and ruthlessly tosses her in front it. General Scales then leaves the area as the tribes people make themselves known. Krystal looks up helplessly as the SharpClaws grab her by the arms and bind them together. The last thing you see as the screen goes slowly dark is Krystal being dragged through the gate into the village. A final scene with Krystal is shown where her arms are bound by ropes to a post in a hut. Lying there helpless Krystal in last ditch effort reaches out telepathically to anyone near by for help. That's when team StarFox enters the picture.

Just like in the original the team receives a faint distress call from Sauria. As we pan into the Great Fox's bridge we Slippy doing some random maintenance on the ship as it's in a lot of disrepair at the time. Peppy is also there doing random system checks of the Great Fox with R.O.B.. Lastly we see Fox asleep in the commander's chair . Then as the camera does a close of Fox he suddenly wakes up in a startled fashion. Remember that telepathic distress call from Krystal? That's what wakes him up as he shakes his head in confusion( a sound clip of Krystal talking in his mind plays during this time btw) trying figure out if his mind is playing tricks on him or someone is actually needing help. Snapping out of his thoughts Fox asks how close they are to Sauria, so he can prepare himself for the mission at hand. It continues on just as the original did except for part of being able to use the staff. He'll be able to use his blaster this time, but it's set to stun enemies. Basically smash based attacks for him this time minus the fox fire attack(lol).

I have more to explain about my idea for remake, but mind is out of wack right now. XD
I really like this idea! Any ideas that we can get for possible direction for Krystal/Star Fox as a whole can take are always fun to read! maybe someday I can get you to elaborate more on this when your mind isn't out of wack haha! ^_^

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice

Just went through and messaged some people who might be interested in joining our Youtube Team! Also saw the post that Smokey21 Smokey21 made about this group, awesome! Thanks for telling me XeVioN XeVioN , our team is slowly growing.

Imagine if we could get around 100 of us all dedicated to spreading Krystal support on Youtube (specifically official NIntendo videos)? It only takes one group of vocal people to start a movement. Krystal already has the popularity, it's just a matter of us helping to unifying it, we're doing well everyone!

I initially was suspicious about this too but then shortly after came to the conclusion that Kirbeh Kirbeh mentioned where I'm sure Nintendo just didn't think to include her.. ouch.
It is still kinda odd though. On the returning Lylat Cruise stage they kept the easter egg with all the Assault cast, including Krystal and Panther YET the newly added Orbital Gate stage that is literally based off of Assault they decided to completely ignore Krystal's presence in the series all together.
I think it's most likely that when they were recording the codecs for the new stage they were probably aware of Zero's "re-imagining" angle and were trying to familiarize fans with the original Star Fox team, the classic 4 piece minus Krystal. That's just a guess though!
After Zero's flop I think that there is still hope that things can return to how they were in Assault's timeline. Here's hoping, let's keep our support for Krystal strong! :)

ps. Nice to see you back ArcaneKitsune ArcaneKitsune

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Just went through and messaged some people who might be interested in joining our Youtube Team! Also saw the post that Smokey21 Smokey21 made about this group, awesome! Thanks for telling me XeVioN XeVioN , our team is slowly growing.

Imagine if we could get around 100 of us all dedicated to spreading Krystal support on Youtube (specifically official NIntendo videos)? It only takes one group of vocal people to start a movement. Krystal already has the popularity, it's just a matter of us helping to unifying it, we're doing well everyone!
We could always use more help on the youtube team! I already subscribed to your channel and went through all the video and made posts/upvoted all our supporters posts and It took a while because there's thousands of posts, it was refreshing to see how much support we already have there, but we're far from ideal atm if smash 4/Zero were any indicator. We need to unify now more than ever. As for the steam group it needs at least two posts under it to make it to the popular discussions page, so any help there would be appreciated, I can't post under it because I am worried if I do it it may be labeled as spam/removed by the moderators. If I can get one post under there I can respond and we would hit enough to get onto the popular discussions page and hopefully get more support from there. As for future exposure I will try to find other places where we can make awareness known and try to gather more support for her.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we can grow as a group and gather more necessary support and push the desired numbers that we need! One hundred active people would be incredible and I pray we do reach that some day soon. ^_^

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It is still kinda odd though. On the returning Lylat Cruise stage they kept the easter egg with all the Assault cast, including Krystal and Panther YET the newly added Orbital Gate stage that is literally based off of Assault they decided to completely ignore Krystal's presence in the series all together.
I think it's most likely that when they were recording the codecs for the new stage they were probably aware of Zero's "re-imagining" angle and were trying to familiarize fans with the original Star Fox team, the classic 4 piece minus Krystal. That's just a guess though!
Honestly, I think it was simply a matter of budget. Re-using previous assets and paying the required royalties is one thing, but new recording sessions are expensive (especially if it's just for one Easter Egg like this), and I think we're all pretty well aware by now that Smash 3DS/Wii U were somewhat rushed to market.

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Smokey21 Smokey21 yours and everyone else's enthusiasm is really awesome and is what us Krystal supporters need! I'm sure that with enough dedication we can really bring about a huge surge of Krystal support. Like I said before: her support is there, it has lasted for YEARS even with her saddening absence from the series lately, her support just needs to be unified. :)

Honestly, I think it was simply a matter of budget. Re-using previous assets and paying the required royalties is one thing, but new recording sessions are expensive (especially if it's just for one Easter Egg like this), and I think we're all pretty well aware by now that Smash 3DS/Wii U were somewhat rushed to market.
That could be a possibility too definitely. Would be a pretty disappointing one as I've talked to Alesia Glidewell, Krystal's voice actress multiple times and she's said that she'd love the opportunity to voice Krystal again. But as you mentioned, with Smash 4 seeming to be a bit rushed towards the end it's not surprising they would opt out of this extra effort.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
You're not the only one who's talked to her VA

I've followed that up and she hasn't heard anything yet, I'm still a bit surprised she said she would though. all of the Assault voices were so good so I hope they aren't considering someone else. Don't forget that we could see a bunch of new fighters if the port rumor is true, browsing around on sourcegaming people have found that the updates to smash4's file archtecture at the end of it's update cycle suggested that it was setting it up to have content added in later, and with sm4sh's big success and popular interest among the great majority of the fans, coupled with how it's already nicely set-up to receive stages and fighters makes it quite likely. I don't think Sakurai has forgotten her, and i'd imagine Krystal did pretty well on the smash ballot so I think her chances are pretty high all things considered. Can't hurt to keep nintendo constantly aware of people liking her though so let's keep it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom